Tell me why the weather has become so destructive!

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Posts
25,720
When Boston's Logan airport cancels flights, I take severe weather warnings seriously.

"Wind gust of 95 mph recorded in Iowa"

Looking at the weather map for the Midwest scared me.
The weather announcer was freaked out.

Airports canceled flights.

"Thunderstorms are possible again Wednesday night into Thursday morning, some of which may be severe as well."

Why does the storm keep travelling, and not weaken ?

http://www.scscircle.com/news/id-26...her-wind-gust-of-95-mph-recorded-in-iowa.html

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/710658/severe-thunderstorm-watch-issued-chicago-area-2

Dark skies

http://www.chicagotribune.com/
 
Mother Nature is striving to keep up with the Kardashians,
 
Well they've got a long way to go if they are going to catch up with dat ass. I mean say what you want about Kimmy but I'd pay money to plow her into the field.

Weather is getting crazy because it's a sign from God, we have accepted teh gayz into polite society and God will not be mocked. Which leads to us being forced to accept that clearly Islam isn't a bad religion. I mean he's God he clearly doesn't give two shits about mutilating women, decapitating Christians and converts from Islam or any of the other nasty shit that goes on in the Middle East. If he did they would get typhoons and tidal waves and earthquakes and other signs that God is pissed at them. But NOOOOOO New Orleans is so much worse than anything going on in the Middle East that he can only focus on making his point known to us.
 
I watched film footage, of a large group of cars on a major superhighway, roasted in a fire.

A highway boxed by an enormous fire,on each side.

Drones interfere with firefighter's efforts


Of all the elements they must battle in a wildfire, firefighters face a new foe: drones operated by enthusiasts who presumably take close-up video of the disaster.

Five such "unmanned aircraft systems" prevented California firefighters from dispatching helicopters with water buckets for up to 20 minutes over a wildfire that roared Friday onto a Los Angeles area freeway that leads to Las Vegas.

Helicopters couldn't drop water because five drones hovered over the blaze, creating hazards in smoky winds for a deadly midair disaster, officials said.


It was unclear Saturday whether authorities would launch an investigation into the five drones.

All around the motorists, about 1,000 firefighters fought the wildfire with 22 fire engines, four water trucks, a bulldozer, seven airplanes and three helicopters.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/us/california-freeway-fire/

A tornado watch has been issued until 12 a.m. EDT for portions of northern Indiana, western Lower Michigan and northwestern Ohio. This watch area includes Fort Wayne, South Bend and Grand Rapids.

A severe thunderstorm watch has been issued until 9 p.m. PDT for parts of western Arizona and southern California. This watch area includes Palm Springs in California and Kingman, Arizona.


Friday brought ferocious storms, including reports of tornadoes and extreme wind gusts in South Dakota, where a 97-mph gust was measured near Clear Lake. Two other South Dakota locations gusted to at least 90 mph. An unspecified number of people were injured by flying glass in a hailstorm near Webster, South Dakota. The storms organized into a squall line that has produced structural damage in Watertown, Minnesota, near the Twin Cities; radar showed strong evidence of a tornado there around midnight Friday night.

A one-two punch of high winds hit the Minneapolis-St. Paul area – first with the squall line itself, and then again in its immediate wake associated with a sharp fluctuation in barometric pressure induced by the squall line. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport gusted to 60 mph behind the line at around 1:30 a.m. CDT Saturday – stronger than its peak gust with the squall line itself. An EF1 tornado was confirmed by the National Weather Service near Watertown, west of Minneapolis, on Friday night, with estimated peak winds of 105 mph.

July, 18 2015


Severe thunderstorms have spread to the midwest today and a tornado watch has been issued for Chicago, Milwaukee, and surrounding areas. Ll

Some of the most serious damage was in Carver County near Watertown, where the National Weather Service confirmed an EF1 tornado with winds of up to 105 miles per hour touched down around midnight. But the damage was widespread, with wind gusts of up to 70 mph reported in cities across the metro, from Golden Valley to Lakeville to St. Paul.

Xcel Energy said the storm initially left 225,000 customers in Minnesota and Wisconsin without power. As of 5 p.m. Saturday, 50,000 customers were still waiting for service to be restored. Hundreds of crews from five states were assisting with the restoration efforts.


The tornado touched down west-southwest of Watertown and cut a 4-mile path across the county, according to the National Weather Service.


Gusts from the tornado that touched down in Carver County flattened several of LuceLine Orchard’s smaller sheds and its gazebo, Traen said, but the handful of larger farm animals managed to survive.

The family still plans to open for the apple season this fall, albeit with a smaller crop. Uprooted trees will be sold as applewood for smoking meats, but thousands of unripe fruits will have to be pitched.


The orchard was recently approved to hold weddings and is booked for its first large event in mid-August for a class reunion.

“Thank God we didn’t have a wedding today, because the tent would no longer be there,” said Traen’s daughter, Abby Pawelk.

“It’s amazing what can happen in only a few minutes,” Traen said. “But this is truly a place of love and we’re going to keep going.”

http://www.startribune.com/damaging-wind-rain-whip-through-twin-cities-area/316653851/

By Saturday morning, high winds, heavy rain and a tornado ripped nearly half of the orchard’s meticulously trimmed apple trees out by the roots.

“Financially, it’s crushing,” said Traen, who opened the farm with her husband in 2012 and does not have crop insurance. “It’s like we’re starting all over.”

More than 100 volunteers, some of whom were strangers, came out to help clear the land with chain saws Saturday afternoon. It was a scene repeated across the Twin Cities following the storm that whipped through late Friday night and early Saturday morning, toppling trees and knocking out power to hundreds of thousands of people in the metro.
 
The weather announcers are insistent on warning people about the dangers of thunder and lightning.

These warnings have become useless.

How much are the new conditions expected to accelerate in frequency, and power ?

IT DOES NOT BELONG HERE. IT IS AN ABERRATION. IT IS ABNORMAL.
IT IS MEANT TO BE ONCE IN A LIFETIME.

Tremendous amounts of lightning, hail, destructive winds, tremendous amounts of down pour rain. We have come to expect the possibility, with every threat of rain. The trees are not snapped, or pushed, as before. Now they are uprooted.

What happened to President Obama's excuse to override local television station control ?
The mysterious boxes of electronics and computer chips were installed.
The gigantic media corporations do not give a fuck.
2015, and the information stream does not provide.
Who the fuck cares, about who will die ?
Only those who have their hearts invested.

The past is dead. Do not dance in a rain shower.
Do not play in a sun shower. Do not dash into
a rain storm. What happened to the friendly
weather front, that gave rainy days as a gift ?
Lightning strikes out of a clear blue sky.

Twenty minutes warning ?

A circus tent is being blamed for two deaths and thirty injuries.
It is 2015. The tent has been engineered to endure storms.
It is not 1940, using a cloth and wood Big Top tent from 1930.
The sky turned dark as night, suddenly.
Cape Cod, thousands lost power.
This is not Hurricaine Bob, or
No Name. Rhode Island was hit.

In 1992 scientists warned that we were running out of time.
Many concentrated on global warming and carbon issues.
Many studied the loss of shielding from the ozone layer.
Climatologist was added to the common vocabulary.
The syndrome is world wide.

Deadly storm is the truth.
The term fierce storm was spoken.
Severe storm was inadequate.
The cell killed people in a minute.
If you are part of the target on the dartboard, you might die.

She looked at her flooded home and cried.
No flood in 30 years, she cried out.
2015, she cried 20 years, ago.
Strange winds from elsewhere, were heralds.
(I wore my ski goggles, while I did errands. Sand flew.)
April Fool's blizzard, in Massachusetts followed her loss.


Another week, another target on the dart board was hit.
I mourn the weather front, that covered like a blanket.
Cells strike like nukes. Boom! Destroyed.
Death in the West flows North and East.
What has changed ?
 
I chuckle every time I hear a weather forecaster or some pundit talk about how this is the worst storm recorded in history, or this temperature just broke a record....

you do realize that means at some point in time, there was a storm or temperature, just as bad or just as high.

If we haven't seen a storm like this in 30 years, it means 30 years ago we DID see a storm just as bad.

And they say the conservatives are the doom-sayers.
 
New England Yankee, here, learning the reality of tornado weather on the East Coast.

I will not be able to see the tornado coming. The heavy rain, strong winds, plentiful hail will obscure the event.

Thunder, here.

500 bright lightning strikes, within the half hour. Fuck!

Hurricanes are what I know. This is not my life experience, as of
 
A well made tin foil hat will help you focus in on all of the bad weather coming your way!
 
New England Yankee, here, learning the reality of tornado weather on the East Coast.

I will not be able to see the tornado coming. The heavy rain, strong winds, plentiful hail will obscure the event.

Thunder, here.

500 bright lightning strikes, within the half hour. Fuck!

Hurricanes are what I know. This is not my life experience, as of

Huh? As a Yankee myself (not a yankee fan mind you)... All I can say is "Huh?"

Tornados sound like a freight train coming... not to mention the cloud funnel.. How can you not see and hear it coming?
 
Two words.

Weather Channel.

They don't sell advertising unless they have viewers. Viewers want to see "epic storms" and "unprecedented events". (And probably the Real Housewives of Tornado Alley.)
 
We have Sprinfield, MA on our history books.
It ripped a town apart.
It killed people.

It is violent, powerful, and frightening.
 
Jesus Christ, we've had bad weather for lets see....oh yeah forever. Get a fucking grip for fucks sake.
 
A temperate and measured pace, turns wild, energetic and roaring.
The East is where measured and temperate lives alongside of impressive.
The North is patient and enduring. Stone is worn away.
Strangers changed everything to their advantage.
Heartless, like a tornado.
Enduring bones, stone.
Arrowhead proofs.
 
Death Valley National Park, already the world record holder for highest official temperature, hit 122 degrees Friday and 123 Saturday, easily clinching the nation's hot spot both days. Saturday's reading was the highest August temperature in Death Valley since 2012. Sunday and Monday the high topped out at 122 degrees in Death Valley.


"Extreme fire behavior is becoming the norm."
BLM


More than a hundred wildfires continue to burn out of control across the west. Fire officials say the extreme heat is making matters worse. One of the most difficult fires burning right now, is in Washington.

The Chelan Complex acreage will go up,” a fire management official said.


Near Chelan, the three merged fires known collectively as the Chelan Complex fire grew to nearly 70,000 acres Tuesday.

The Okanogan Complex fire — five wildfires that have merged and more than doubled in size since Tuesday — is now burning across nearly 31,000 acres about 13 miles from Omak.

In Washington and across the nation, wildland firefighting resources have been stretched to the limit.

Soldiers, the National Guard, and trained prisoners are being sent to fight these fires.

The U.S. Army announced about 200 soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McChord had been tapped to join the fire lines across the nation to support personnel already battling blazes.

"The devastation caused by the Clearwater Complex Fires has caused untold hardships and loss for individuals and families in north central Idaho," wrote Otter in a statement released by his office Wednesday. "We are using all available resources to ensure that lives and infrastructure are protected."


http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/go...-for-firefighting-efforts/Content?oid=3568126



Map of fires, here

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/soldiers-from-jblm-national-guard-to-help-fight-wildfires/


Dangerous heat warnings

LAKE HAVASU AND FORT MOHAVE-NORTHWEST DESERTS-
LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA-DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK-
WESTERN MOJAVE DESERT-EASTERN MOJAVE DESERT-MORONGO BASIN-
CADIZ BASIN-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY-UPPER COLORADO RIVER VALLEY-
NORTHEAST CLARK COUNTY-WESTERN CLARK AND SOUTHERN NYE COUNTY-
LAS VEGAS VALLEY-SOUTHERN CLARK COUNTY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAKE HAVASU CITY...DESERT HILLS...
TOPOCK...KINGMAN...GOLDEN VALLEY...DOLAN SPRINGS...VALENTINE...
WIKIEUP...YUCCA...BULLHEAD CITY...MOHAVE VALLEY...FURNACE CREEK...
STOVEPIPE WELLS...SHOSHONE...BARSTOW...DAGGETT...FORT IRWIN...
BAKER...MOUNTAIN PASS...MITCHELL CAVERNS...MORONGO VALLEY...
YUCCA VALLEY...TWENTYNINE PALMS...VIDAL JUNCTION...NEEDLES...
MESQUITE...OVERTON...MOAPA...PAHRUMP...INDIAN SPRINGS...
DESERT ROCK...AMARGOSA VALLEY...LAS VEGAS...NORTH LAS VEGAS...
HENDERSON...BOULDER CITY...HOOVER DAM...LAUGHLIN...PRIMM...
SEARCHLIGHT...CAL-NEV-ARI
1258 AM PDT WED AUG 19 2015

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT /8 PM
MST/ THIS EVENING BELOW 4000 FEET...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING BELOW 4000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL
8 PM PDT /8 PM MST/ THIS EVENING.

* EXPECTED TEMPERATURES: HIGHS 109 TO 111 DEGREES FOR LAS VEGAS AND
MUCH OF THE MOJAVE DESERT REGION...112 TO 117 DEGREES ALONG THE
COLORADO RIVER VALLEY AND 120 TO 125 IN DEATH VALLEY. OVERNIGHT
LOWS WILL BE GENERALLY BE BETWEEN 80 AND 90 DEGREES. RELIEF FROM
THESE VERY HOT CONDITIONS IS NOT EXPECTED UNTIL THURSDAY.

Often, downbursts or downdrafts coming out of a thunderstorm are invisible, especially if it is a dry downburst. This weather phenomenon in the dissipating stage of a thunderstorm can be deadly if the wind direction suddenly changes and affects the direction of spread of a wildfire.


Fire tornado

Craig Fluer was fighting wildfires in Idaho when this "fire whirl" formed.

"Saw a #firewhirl for the first time last night," Fluer wrote on his Instagram page. "This sucker was shooting flames 100 ft in the air before it passed right in front of the line, all while dropping hot dirt and ash on our helmets."

Fire whirls are similar to dust devils -- caused by intense hot air rising and then then swirling around. Only in the fire whirl case, it can pick up flames and embers.

Perhaps the most vivid fire whirl was this incredible one captured near Denver during a prescribed burn in spring of 2014:

Videos of both 2015 and 2014

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blo...s-like-a-fire-tornado-322247251.html?mobile=y

http://wildfiretoday.com/page/2/

This week, President Obama announced on the news, that our fire fighting budget is, once again, depleted.
 
More than 7 million acres have burned in wildfires this year – an area roughly the size of Massachusetts – according to the National Interagency Fire Center. That's nearly double the 10-year average of about 4.48 million acres through Aug. 20

http://www.wunderground.com/news/western-wildfires-latest-news

The U.S Forest Service has spent over $800 million this year fighting fires. Just last week alone nearly $150 million went into fighting dozens of fires all across the west. Yet with several weeks more to go until this fiscal year ends on September 30, it's looking more and more likely that the Forest Service will have to pull funds from other programs.

The Forest Service said fires are also consuming more acreage and are hotter than they've been in years past. "It's due to a number of factors including hazardous fuel build up, insect and disease infestations, non-native species invasions. Homes are located and adjacent to forested range lands, as well as the impact of drought and climate change," said Jennifer Jones, the public affairs specialist for the Forest Service's firefighting operations.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/forest-service-burning-through-budget-fighting-fires/34809134


We did not take climate change seriously, and act immediately.
We are paying the price, right now, in money and in lives.

7.3 billion people on the Planet Earth, right now.
6.5 billion on the plant in 2007.
6.2 billion on the planet in 2002.
 
Back
Top