"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

Lex listened to what the crazy bitchy Dutch women told him. But he knew better. He knew what it took to survive. After the little scene, he walked off and found a corner to sit and enhance his plan for survival.

“People are all stupid … and that Ria is as stupid as they come!” He said to himself. He remembered everyone telling him not to use drugs … not to use cocaine. How fucking wrong they had been! It was a wonder drug. He remembered being with some slut … and she didn’t want to put out … So he offered her a line of cocaine on his cocaine mirror. She put a finger against one nostril and brought the mirror to her other nostril. She sniffed in a good line! She got so high on the stuff, that after that … she was riding his cock … OH YES! She was so spaced out … he had called up a few of his friends and all of them took turns with her. It was so much fun; he started to charge people to have a go at her that night. Made good money.

That was how you survived, take things from people …. Use them … and then throw them away. It had been like that with his parents. He learned how to manipulate his mom and dad for whatever he wanted. They thought they were helping to pay for college … but he was skimming some off the top to buy beer and drugs. He played the guilt trip on them all the time … especially his mother. “You don’t love me … if you don’t buy this for me …”

He remembered one of the sluts he dated … Dawn was her name … she did not approve of his drinking; her mother was an alcoholic. So he kind of decided to dumped her … and go after Cherry (she had a crush on him). So when he was on a date with Dawn at the bowling alley, … he saw Cherry and when over to talk to her … while Dawn was in the bathroom … Cherry bought him a beer, he left with Cherry right away … it was close to midnight and Dawn had no ride home.

HA HA … Dawn, that stupid bitch, should not have been trying to kill a good time. Cherry ended up dumping him in the end … she dumped me! A selfish, self-centered stud, for some nice guy! The nerd probably could not get a hard-on. Sure they now live in a nice house and have loads of money … but he knew she was bored out of her mind and never had any fun. How could she with that loser! Also she had to raise their two kids …. BORING!

Anyhow that was all in the past. What he needed to do now was figure out a way to get in control of all the food and water. That meant … getting rid of Max. After that speech from the Dutch bitch … he would not be going outside. He’d be here alone with the other losers … and Max. But he needed a weapon. Like a gun. Maybe it would be better if he stole that from one of the returning teams. He had more than enough food to carry him for a few days.
 
I had seen that boy slender away like he was terrible wronged, had experienced the most awful injustice.

We should team him with one of the strongest here, mind and body wise. I made a note to myself to talk it over with Peter and Max. Or should we take him out, and make sure we would 'lose' him ... leave him in some building we entered and that was save?

Pondering these questions, also frightened by my cold reasoning, I sat on a chair, empty teacup in my hand, while around me people kept discussing if powdered milk was more needed than fresh milk, and questions like it.

After a while I looked up. Someone was standing beside me. Lola. She had been asking me something. Looking at her, at the coffeepot in her hand, I deduced she had asked me if wanted another coffee.

She looked a bit surprised when I thanked her, and told her I preferred tea.

"You want some more? It is tea I have here."

Smiling I held my cup up. She poured.

"Guys, if you find powdered milk, take it. Especially those on foot also have to watch the weight of the things they put in their rucksacks. It is no use if it is so heavy you have to take things out. No use putting a gallon of milk in, leaving two packages of powdered milk, that would allow us to make ten gallons of milk, standing on a shelf for someone else. Just think, use your brains out there. And in here. You all have a perfect brain, use it. That is what is for. That is what made us what we are: Homo technical. City-builder Homo. Homo survivi. Use your brain. Don't let others think for you, think for yourself."

I sipped my tea, looking out for Peter and Max.
 
Cassandra's Test

The time to go outside was approaching, and Derry, Lola, and I were on the roof looking over the edge.

“This is like out of some fricking bad horror movie!” Lola whispered. “We can’t stay in the Library … and if we go outside … someone is going to get infected and return and start eating everyone!”

“Lola, calm down … you’re just scared. We're all scared. I think we just need to stay alive long enough for help to arrive … so we need to stay calm” I told her.

"We'll be fine." Derry assured her.

Then I got an idea “Lola, if you think this is a horror movie, I’ll tell you the plot” I said “We … the people in the library are going to make it out of this situation alive. Now there will be scary moments, but we need to out think the zombies, which mean we need to stay calm and think straight.”

That suggestion seemed to calm her down “Ok … sorry … this is the first zombie apocalypse I’ve been though” she said … and we all looked at each other and laughed over the comment.

“Laugher is the best medicine” Derry added.

“Ok, now that everyone is in a better mood … what is the plan again?” Lola asked.

“We are going to run a little test … before the first group opens the door.” I told her. “… Lola you are manning the catapult and Derry get your bow ready. I grabbed the book I had brought from the library below. “Ready” I asked. Both ladies nodded.

I threw the book off the roof and watch it sail to the ground and hit the roof of a car. It seemed like the loudest sound I had ever heard … At first there was no reaction. But then I heard a few groans and two zombies came in view … they were moving fast.

Derry did not hesitate … “Twang” and she fired an arrow. The first missed but quickly she fired another one and it went right into the zombie’s head. The zombie fell to the ground and stopped moving. I had my bow and arrow in my hands now … and I hesitated … they looked human like … but different … I willed myself to fire at the one remaining … there was a loud THUD noise as I hit the target in the chest. It twitched and flopped around and after a minute it stopped moving. Part of me wanted to go down there and say I’m sorry and give it first aid. But Derry had the right attitude as she smiled.

"Hit my Zombie right in the head!" Derry yelled in victory.

There were no more zombies for the time being. It was really gross looking down at the two dead ones. Green stuff was leaking out of them. I needed to remove my compassion for these evil things … this was life or death now!

“Nice shooting Cassandra and Derry!” Lola said and then added, “The bows work! Awesome!”

“Yes” I agreed “We are down three arrows … but we learned a lot about how smart they are and we can kill them.”
 
Last edited:
Peter

Peter was feeling pretty good about today. The shower had got people’s spirits up! The sex with Derry had got his spirits up! Near mid-morning however, one of the night watchmen came to him and explained the explosion between Lex and Ria. He had known right away it was not a good thing. So he head over to see Ria.

Before he got to her, Cassandra intercepted him. He had not talked to her very much, but he had a low opinion of her … she was, after all, just a stripper. But she was getting lucky with some of her ideas … the bow and arrows and the shower. So he stopped and listened to what she had to say.

“Peter” She said excitedly “We ran a little test this morning … we made noise near the front doors of the library and only two zombies came over. They moved pretty fast … so that is the bad news … but we used the bow and arrows to kill them. We only needed three arrows to take down the two zombies” She explained.

Peter looked Cassandra in the eyes “Look … that was really DUMB … what if hundreds of zombies had shown up … we’d all be dead now! Please check with me before you do something like that again … I’m responsible for everyone safety … OK!” He said a bit angry.

“Sorry Peter …” Cassandra said, shocked by his reaction.

Peter moved past Cassandra and made his way to Ria.

“I heard what happened …” He said “Lex is an Asshole, you did the right thing … we need everyone working as a team. That is how we are going to make it through this … shit!” Peter said upset about the unneeded drama and Cassandra’s antics.
 
Peter looked a bit preoccupied when he came up to me.

I was readying myself to go out. Not donning nice clothes. Lacing my shoes anew, emptying my rucksack into some plastic bags, to hand them over to Max for safekeeping ...

With a wry smile I listened to him.

"That child, Lex, we need to keep eyes on him. Or lose him outside. One of the two. I would like to give him a chance though. Who of the guys we can trust is staying inside? I need Thomas outside. John too, he is very good with the catapult.

Is there something else bothering you?"

I nodded when he told me what those young ladies had done.

"Risky. Very risky. But something like that had to be done, Peter. I would have preferred been there too, to watch them and the the Zombies, not get the results told from a third person. But whatever, it has been done now.

So, how about Lex? What do we do with him? Who of the guards can keep a very close eye on him?"
 
When Derry woke up in the morning, she was happy to see that Cassandra , that remarkable girl, had rigged up an Australian shower. But, since it was so very busy, and Derry wanted to be ready as quick as possible, she went to another washroom and had what she called " A Bird Bath". Which was simply a bar of soap and wash cloth and a sink full of hot water. In no time at all, she was cleaned up and ready for the day.

When she got back to the eating area, she poured herself some coffee before walking over to Max, who handed her two candy bars that were her ration for the day. She thanked him opened one of them up and started munching on it as she listened to the final details for their foraging expedition. Walking over to Cassandra Derry quietly told her,

"I heard about your shower, will have to give it a test run when we get back. We better be successful, or there is going to be big trouble sooner then you think."

Not long after Ria had her confrontation with "That Guy" which, Derry along with Cassandra didn't want to be on a team with him. Both girls nodded with what was said, totally agreeing with Ria. Derry soon after made her own set of lists, thinking to add to them as more items came to her mind.

In no time at all Derry Cassandra and Lola headed for the roof, carrying some more supplies to add to what they had already had up there. After having calmed Lola down Cassandra came up with a good way to look at their situation, as well as lift their spirits. Cassandra threw the book down, when two Zombies came withing shooting range, Derry made her move hit the thing right in the head and shouted,

"Hit my Zombie right in the head!"

The three girls nodded and complimented each other on their success. It looked like they were going to be good at killing Zombies. They then headed down stairs, scattering to see what had been going on in their absence.
 
Last edited:
MAX;

Max had been near when he heard what Ria had said to Lex thinking, (That man is a liability.) He saw Peter heading over to the Dutch woman when Cassandra eagerly told him something, which by his face and reaction....Max could tell he wasn't happy. Soon afterwards, Cassandra walked off, and didn't look too happy, Peter continued towards Ria. Max quickly walked over and asked,

"Is this a closed conversation? I can leave if it is."

He hoped that they would ask him to stay, since he did have a few thoughts on that guy Lex.
 
I smiled when Max came up to Peter and me.

"No, Max, it is something the three of us have to discuss."

Quickly Peter and I explained what had happened, and I told him what I thought were possible solutions for the Lex-problem.
 
Peter listen to what Ria was saying about the bow and arrow test and shook his head.

“I don’t want to sound like a “Neanderthal” … but Cassandra is a stripper. She knows how to shake her tits to make money. She knows nothing about fighting … At least you have a degree! She has come up with a few good ideas … I’ll give her that … but I don’t trust her. Every stripper I have known has been pretty messed up in the head.” Peter sighed ... He saw in Ria’s eyes a look of disapproval. He added “I sound pretty terrible … UGH … I guess the responsible for everyone safety is getting to me.”

Peter decided to move onto the next topic … Lex. Peter’s brain started to lock-up. He could not believe what Ria was suggesting!!! It was total insanity!! Max joined the conversation at this point. Peter nodded to him. Ria explained what some of the thoughts of the group were.

“Ria … I’m not playing god … deciding who lives and who dies. I’m not doing that! NO WAY” Peter said. “Look, I’ll keep an eye on him … if he keeps complaining we’ll take a group vote. Just the adults … I don’t want the kids to know about this. If the group decides to “banish him” from the library, then he goes. If I find evidence he has done something wrong ... group votes on punishment ... How about that as a solution?” Peter suggested and looked to Max and Ria for support.
 
“I don’t want to sound like a “Neanderthal”

It was difficult for me to keep a straight face when Peter said this. And then the rest! And that "At least you have a degree!"


"Not the ideas of the group, Peter, my ideas. And what is the difference between a woman who strips for her man -or a strain of men until she decides which one is the one- and a woman who strips for money? It is right a lot of women who work in the Sex-bussiness are messed up, but mostly that is because society disapproves of them doing what they do. It is society saying this way to use your talents is okay, that way is disgusting." I let that sink in a bit.

"I have worked on a dig a few times as a student, and there were always people working there who hadn't studied, who were farmers, or house mums, or garbage collectors, and who knew more about the matter at hand than I or most of the other studied people. Having a job where you do something which seems dull or undemanding for some, doesn't mean you can't be interested in a lot of other things and have a great knowledge about a lot of themes or about a special one. Being a stripper doesn't exclude being able to use your brain. That is, what counts."

I was lecturing again. I shook my head.

"Peter, Max, the three of us are the leaders of this pack for now. We all decided on that yesterday. So the responsibility for their wellbeing lays with us. We will work out how this group will be 'reigned' later on. For now we can't allow us the luxury of discussing with each and every member of this group what is best for the totality of the group and take a vote. The responsibility for them lays with us at the moment. If this bothers you, try to think of you being their father, not their god. In a family parents listen to each and every opinion -which means also the kids here should be listened to- but the parents decide what is going to happen."

"It is not Lex complaining about everything that bothers me. Some of the others complain nearly as much. But they help nevertheless, even if they think it is gross and below their dignity to clean toilets and such. They still tackle the job they are told to do. Lex doesn't. He is acting as a true parasite."
 
THE MEETING;

As Max listened to Ria's speech, he nodded his head, he knew she was absolutely right. Peter had to change his attitude towards Cassandra and quick before they loose a very valuable asset in her. When Ria was done talking Max jumped in before Peter could say anything,

"Look Peter I have to agree with Ria on this one, I am talking about Cassandra, just think for a moment, she came up with the bow and arrow, then this weird shower contraption...which works great mind you. Those two girls are a force to be reckoned with and we need to encourage not dampen their enthusiasm."

He saw that Peter was taking his and Ria's words to heart...nodding his head in approval. When Max saw this he patted the young man on the back adding,

"That a boy, that is how we are all going to survive this ...by being open and honest. We will make mistakes, that is a fact of life, but if we talk things through we can only come out winners in the end. Now before we go on to the more pressing matter of that man Lex, I have one bit of advise for you. Make it right between you and Cassandra, we all need to work together and try and keep the peace. OK...I have said enough lets get back to the leadership."

He waited to see that Ria and Peter were on the same page, they both agreed to go on to the next topic, satisfied he continued,

"As for leadership, yes it seems we are leading this small party of humanity now and need to agree on some rules. Looking at it like we are the parents is good for now and until we have gotten through the up and coming "Foraging Mission", for a lack of a better title. Afterwards we need to maybe set a time for the three of us to meet ....say every morning after breakfast to talk about concerns and plans for future missions and just general things like distributing jobs for people, responsibilities etc. Everyone needs to participate in some way, oh and about whatever comes up with our people, talking about squabbles and the like."

Max stopped for a minute looking to see if he had gone overboard with his speech before adding,

"I have said my peace now, as for Lex, I agree he is a human parasite and we do need to figure out what to do with him. He could very well jeopardize our lives at some point..."

He now put his hands up and waited for either Peter or Ria to have their say.
 
Peter listened carefully and nodded his head.

“Ok, I’ll try to get past my pre-conceived ideas about Cassandra. I’ll go talk to her ... tell her I’m sorry.” Peter said in agreement.

“As for Lex, he is a jerk and an asshole. I agree. But if we handle this in a bad way, everyone in the library could be affected. If it is perceived that we are out to get him, we could have a revolt. I don’t want that! We must be fair and transparent in our decision making.” Peter explained.

“I agree with the morning meeting … I think that is a great idea. Also I’m going to watch Lex today … and if he does not help out. I say we set up a rule that people that are not helping will be asked to leave the library. They can go fend for themselves out there!” Peter said point outside of the library’s walls. “This will also set up a situation where people will all need to take turns doing the nasty jobs. I think in the end it should help the community.” Peter explained getting more passionate about the idea. He thought he had convinced the others so moved on to the next topic.

“Is the first team ready to go outside?” Peter asked
 
I lifted my hand, held it stretched out in front of me. It didn't shake. And Peter's question had made my heart skip a beat!

"Yes, we are ready to leave. In a quarter of an hour. I need to go to the toilet before we go out. Make sure the fire door is closed, before we open the door. That way the risk for those inside is the smallest, I think." I closed my eyes a moment and took a deep breath. I couldn't remember the last occasion I had so often felt the need to do that. When I opened my eyes, both men were looking at me. Peter eager, and a bit concerned, Max concerned, encouraging and pity was the other emotion I thought to detect on his face, before he smiled at me.

"Max, you will stow my things away somewhere safe? And put everything in the common stock tonight if ..." I was not able to finish my sentence. Something was blocking my throat suddenly.

"About the Lex-problem, what you just said, Peter, was one of the solutions I had in mind too, so I am perfectly okay with you keeping a close eye on him today. But, Peter, please do keep a real close eye on him. And maybe you could have a talk with him, tell him of the rule about participate or leave, that is coming up."

Looking around, I saw John and Norah standing just out of ear reach and I nodded at him. His face showed no expression whatever for a moment. Then he took Norah in his arms, kissed her on the top of her head and patted her back.

"I'll round the others up." He said loud and clearly. Heads suddenly turned, and more than one face was showing fright.

"Peter, will you go up the roof with Cassandra and Derry? That way you are able to see and experience on first hand how tough they are." I held my hands out when I stood up, offered them to Max and Peter, and solemnly we shook hands before I went on my way.

A few paces away from them I froze.

Turned.

"No throwing of books from the roof this time. And there is that corpse lying in front of the door, we will push it away. Clear the stairs. So no noise, no asking how we are doing if you don't see us outside the very second after the fire door is closed. We will wait in the car until we see the second group coming out. Then we will make a lot of noise."
 
Peter headed up to the roof. He met up with Derry and Cassandra. He talked in whispers to them “First of all Cassandra … I was a big jerk this morning … sorry. Thanks for testing the weapons, next time please tell me so we can make the proper preparations downstairs … just in case” Peter apologized.

Cassandra had been pretty pissed at his attitude about the weapon test, but figured it was the stress before the first team went outside. “I’m sorry I did not tell you … My bad” She said.

“I’m the one sorry … you two have had some good ideas. The bows and the shower … keep up the good work!” He said.

“Ok here comes the first team … are you both ready?” Peter asked in a hushed whisper. Cassandra and Derry had their bows ready and arrows fitted. The both nodded.

“Remember no noise” Peter reminded them.

There was a screeching noise as the fire doors were being opened. Everyone on the roof winched at how loud that sounded. Four zombies were headed toward the main doors of the library at once. Then there was the sound of the fire doors being closed again …

“Team 1 must be in the space between the fire doors and the main doors.” Peter surmised.

“Shall we take out some of those zombies?” Derry asked getting ready to fire her bow.

Peter explained the plan in whispers “The idea is for the first party at the door, to handle the nearby zombies … while you two clear the way further up the plaza. But four at once maybe a bit much for the door team … yes take two of them down” Peter ordered.

There was two twangs and both arrows struck the same zombie … it spurted green blood and fell over twitching. “Coordinate your fire … Derry take that ones on the left.” Peter said calmly. Another “Twang” and the zombie had an arrow through his head. Peter had to admit Derry was deadly with the bow. In fact both of the women were super impressive. They seem to have no trouble killing! They seemed ruthless … it was a bit scary.

Cassandra said “Look … further up the plaza more are coming”

Peter saw a bigger group at least 10 maybe more “FUCK” he whispered. “You’ll need to thin that group down”

Derry gasped “more from the left side … coming in quick!”

The first two zombies were at the doors … Peter hoped the ground team could handle them.

Cassandra was already firing … at the large group but had missed twice. “Cassandra wait until they are closer.” Peter suggested. She paused.

Derry took out two from the left side … but the rest made it through to the doors! “I only got two … SHIT” she whispered. “Don’t worry about it … help Cassandra with that big group … remember left side targets!” More arrows went flying.
 
We were standing before the double doors, the fire-door was closing behind us. I scolded myself for telling them to use it as an airlock! We were standing very close together, Thomas, John, Skip, the woman with the scratches on her arm, Thea and I. All were nervous, and trying to look cool. Sniffing at the awful scent that was hanging here. The door behind us thudded close, was locked and simultaneously we sighed. Thomas and John took the pole that was barring the door away, put it to the side, very silently, and each took hold of a door.

Slowly they opened them. The scent became a stench immediately. In front of the door was the decaying corpse of the woman-Zombie …

No others were very near, some were coming towards us from the street though. John and Thomas stepped over the corpse, and lifted their arms. A golf-club and a catapult.

They took two more steps, and the three of us followed them outside. I tipped they corpse with my foot, and pushed. Pushed a bit more, and it slid a bit. Skip put his foot beside mine, and pushed too. Thea added her foot, and the corpse touched Thomas. He jumped, turned his head cursed loud. Once. Then he moved to the side as we pushed further until the foul smelling thing tumbled down the first stair-steps. Half on top of a partly eaten human corpse.

Now we had two corpses to push away.

And two zombies were closing in on us. I shot one down with a marble at his temple, It was getting up already when Thomas whacked him with his golf iron, while John and Skip were beating the second one on the head.

A very large group was nearing, but I saw arrows hitting some of them. It was eerily, grunts and beating sounds from us, thumping footsteps and some screeching and grunting from the zombies. Some birds singing their song somewhere and a dog barking nearby. That was all. No car engines, no horns, none of the normal city noises.

From the left more zombies were arriving and Thea threw her Molotov. It hit one, who stumbled a moment, and broke between three zombies who were splattered with the burning liquid. At first they didn’t react at all, but after a few seconds one of them stood suddenly still, its arms flailing. Its hair was burning. And another one bumped into it, sending them both down.

I was shooting to the left, made one of the burning ones fall down, and it fell sideways, knocking down a second one. That left two advancing in onto us. Those four lying down seemed to have a hard time getting up. From ahead about four were reaching us, and Skip and Thomas had their arms at the ready, while John was still shooting at them.

Thea screamed, and started to run away.

“No!” I screamed. “Come back!” The moving target seemed to attract the Zombies more than my voice or our movements, and they followed her.

We shot at them. Made one go down. But five were hunting her. Arrows flew and two more fell down, the others still followed Thea, and zombies that had been stumbling around farther away now too had a goal to pursue.

“Stop it, Ria!” John hissed. “They are too far away!”

I realized my marbles had fallen to the ground for some time now. I nodded, heard sobbing sounds, looked around and then realized they came from me. Shaking I took a deep breath and tried to calm down.

“We can go to the car now.” Skip whispered hopeful.

I looked around us, no zombies were nearing, one burning one that had managed to get up was stumbling away from us, blazing.

I nodded.

We re-grouped, and small careful step by small careful step we made our way to the Van, nervously looking around us all the time.
 
When Cassandra came onto the roof, she was steaming mad, Derry knew it had to be something to do with Peter, putting her hands on her hips she asked,

"What did Peter do now?"

Cassandra told her about their little encounter not twenty minutes ago, as she listened Derry's temper began to rise, (Damn that man!) By the time that Cassandra had finished, Derry had, had time to calmed down somewhat, putting her hand out she patted Cassandra on the arm replying,

"OK...OK...take it easy, we are going to have to have a little meeting with that man,...he may be a really hot guy, but I won't let him treat you or me like we are a couple of Bimbos."

Just then Peter's head popped through the doorway, both girls looked in his direction, Derry leaned towards Cassandra whispering,

"Speak of the devil!"

Seeing the looks on their faces he put up his hands in surrender quickly apologizing. They were both gratified to hear his speech and his apology to Cassandra for his horrible behavior earlier. Derry could see that Cassandra was a good soul, willing to accept his apology and move on. They all agreed that they should work together as a team. From now on, before doing anything, they would meet with Peter, Max, Ria or all of them first. Everyone felt a lot better now, smiling, they then they got down to business. Still whispering Peter asked,

“Ok here comes the first team … are you both ready?”

Both nodded and waited, soon enough they heard what seemed very loud noise as the fire doors were opened, everyone winced, then looked down seeing four Zombies heading towards the outer doors. Derry drawing her bow asked if they should take them down, getting the OK..she and Cassandra hit their target....but it ended up being the same creature. Peter directed them as to where to concentrate their next shots. But it was good to know that the arrows were effective, looking up Cassandra saw more of them coming from the direction of the plaza she whispered,

“Look … further up the plaza more are coming”

Things went down faster after that, Peter directed where the girls were to thin the ranks of Zombies, working as a team, they were able to get make it so that the door was cleared enough so the first group could get out. Derry whispered in satisfaction,

"Yeah....that's what I'm talking about....Teamwork."

All three watched the drama on the street unfold, the corpse was rolled down the stairs to land on another one, Peter shook his head. Then the two Zombies were dispatched, followed by the arrows from up above. It was hard to stay quiet when some of them caught fire while others fell from the blows of the men.

Then Thea seem to loose it, breaking away from the group, Derry and Cassandra both put their hands to their mouths whispering,

"Oh noooo..."

Both Derry and Cassandra drew their bows and tried to kill them, but missed, Peter held his hand up indicating to stop. All three watched in horror as the rest of the group tried to kill the Zombies that hunted Thea, but it was no use they couldn't get them all before they were out of range. They looked at each other, before watching Thea disappear out of their sight. It had all happened so fast.

With fear in their hearts the three on the roof watched as the group on the ground inched their way towards the van.
 

Attachments

  • Zombie girl..jpg
    Zombie girl..jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 40
Tight together we walked over to the Van, looking around us nervously. No zombies were very near. Some were coming towards us from behind the Knight, but not fast, just in a stumbling, still quite aimless mode.

Then they seemed to see or smell the blazing, still stumbling one. And headed for it!

We had reached the car, Thomas pulled the door farther open and laughed.

“The keys are in the lock! Get in!”

He was sitting behind the wheel already, and opened the side-passenger’s door wide, while Skip was opening a back door. John started to round the car.

“Stop!” Skip hissed. We froze, and looked around as quick and far as my neck would allow my head to turn, straining my eyes.

“I’ll climb over from the inside.” Skip whispered. Thomas leaned over to close the door, but couldn’t reach the handle anymore. Slowly John came back to my side, while Skip was already lifting one of his long legs over the backrest. The second one followed swift, and I slid in the back, shoving over to the left side while John got in and closed the door behind him. At the same time Skip pulled at his door, and as both doors thudded close, we were safe.

I felt completely worn out. I tried to keep myself upright, but when I realized the three young men were collapsing in their seats, I allowed myself to do the same. Wondering about the fact why we were so tired. The whole action couldn’t have taken more than a few minutes. I looked at my watch. Only a quarter of an hour had passed since we opened the doors of the library.

“I can’t see Thea.” John said huskily. I craned my head, not a sight of her. I looked back at the Knight. Only Peter was standing on the roof now, his hand at his head. Suddenly I realized my phone vibrated.

“Second team at the door.” Peter said. “How does it look from there?”

“Some zombies around the burning one far to your left. Some around the burning ones lying down between the two sets of stairs.” Only now I realized how close they had come before we took them down. If those three, four with the other one, would have reached us too … Time for another deep breath.

“All just standing there. Very close. No idea if the moving flames attract them, or the smell. They seem mesmerized …

Some others stumbling around, or standing still. Some around cars, some just on the street or near a building. Maybe there are people inside those cars still …” Then a dog barked. We looked around and whispering we decided the barking came out off one of the cars with zombies around it.

“Should be safe for the others to leave now. If they move very slowly, they might be able to get away unnoticed. As soon as we see zombies taking notice of them, we will start the engine and honk and do whatever we can to attract them.”

Thomas had laid his fingers on the key, turned it slightly. Then he had pushed a button and my window opened a crack. Skip was rummaging through the glove compartment.

Boys … I thought, concentrating hard on Peter, trying to ignore a cluster of five zombies ambling into our direction.

Skip whooped. We hissed. He turned his head, eyes glistening with joy. He held his hand up. He had found a pistol.

“Put that down!” I hissed.

“Why?” Skip was astonished.

“Because it is a dangerous thing?” I am sure my eyes were gleaming furiously when I said that.

Beside me, John hiccupped. I turned to him.

“Are you laughing?” I snapped. “The boy has a gun in his hands!”

“Boy!” Skip murmured, studying the pistol in hands, while John clasped his hands before his face, his shoulder suddenly shaking. Thomas head was leaning against the wheel, his shoulders shaking too.

“The magazine is full!” Skip exclaimed happily.

“Put it down!” I repeated.

“Ria, hon,” John hiccupped, “After what we have just gone through, you really think he should put that dangerous gun down?”

I slumped back into my seat. Shook my head.

“No. I don’t believe it. I can’t believe I just said what I said.”

I started to giggle. Skip looked from Thomas to John to me, and his face lightened up and he started to giggle too, as the absurdity of my words hit him.

"Would you stop it?" A stern, albeit amused voice. Peter! I had forgotten the phone was still open. Quickly I lifted it to my ear.

"Sorry, Skip found a pistol." I apologized.

"Yeah, I know that!" Peter was really amused. "Good for you, but remember those monsters seem to like the sound of shots fired." His voice had become serious again. "Situation?"

"Unchanged." I reported. "Let them go."

Eight eyes locked onto the door of the library.



Staring at the Knight’s doors, I counted the persons who would be staying inside. The eight children, their two teachers, Peter, Max, Lex, Norah and Lola. And Cramer the farmer, the two brothers, TD, Paul and Andrea. I wasn’t sure though if one of them would be in the Second group, or if only Cassandra, Derry and Daniel would be going. Thirteen grown-ups inside, us four, the three or four at the door now. That made twenty-one adults and eight children …
A small group. A small part of humanity. But an awful lot of mouths to feed.

“Thomas, you are from here, aren’t you?” I said without taking my eyes from the library.

“Yep.”

“We need insulin.”

“I know. There are some pharmacies quite near. On Pearl street, I think. If you want to stay on the 13th avenue there is an Urgent Care just before Little’s Market … “
 
Last edited:
Ok the first thing I need to tell you is burning zombies smell REALY bad. I mean you almost feel like throwing up BAD! Secondly, we needed to grease the F’ing fire doors … because you could not move them without a ton of noise. Third … going outside sounded like a good idea … until I saw the first team almost turn into Zombie lunch. My hands were shaking as I held on to the bow and my remaining arrows. Derry was next to me and in front of us was Daniel. Have my favorite lumberjack along made me feel a little better … he had even found a fire axe … which he held in his hands. I thought about an old boyfriend I use to have … he loved to play “Doom” … his favorite weapon was the chainsaw. I thought Daniel would look even better if he one of those thing! I’d keep my eyes open for one, as we looked around.

Peter told us it was clear, but we needed to move slowly. Daniel opened the door to the library. At least that was quiet! And we moved out. The burning zombie smell was worse outside. But I was so focused; it did not bother me as much. Daniel saw the zombies near one of the cars … there was a dog inside … and the barking and movement had the zombies attention.

I went over to one of the dead zombies and removed the arrow from its head. Derry was collecting a few more arrows from other bodies. I went to another zombie (the first one I shot) and as I grab the arrow it started to move … trying to grab at me. “Fuck” I gasped and jumped back. I took my bow and shot it right in the head at point blank range. “DIE FUCKER” I whispered. I know you are going to think I’m really sick … but boy did it feel good to kill zombies. It was like I was removing a bit of terror and horror ... when I kill one of them. Slowly retaking our world from those zombie fuckers!

Anyhow, I guess when I jumped back … one of the zombies at the car saw the movement … and he was headed over to us … his buddies close behind. He was a quick mover … moving like a cockroach. “We have company!” Daniel said loud enough to warn Derry and myself. I got my bow ready and so did Derry.
 
They conversation stopped as we saw the door opening and we tensed.
They were not moving slow enough!

Some murmured curses, Thomas' hand hovering over the horn, Skip's hand against the window.

We saw Cassandra and Derry collecting arrows, and then a zombie tried to grab Cassandra!

And what followed then drew the attention of all zombies around.

Thomas hit the horn, kept his hand on it.

John opened his window, shot and got one in the back. It only stumbled. A second one he got in the back of the head, and that one fell down.

I couldn't use my catapult, Skip was aiming the pistol.

"No!" Thomas and I screamed at once. "Only if they get them." thomas said.

"The noise would alert all zombies around, Skip." I reminded him.
 
Last edited:
The horn on the van sounded and half the zombies headed toward the van … banging on the windows and smashing into the side panels. All I could think was I hoped they were not made of plastic!

As the quick one approached … it kept moving back and forth in a random way. Daniel could tell both derry and I were have trouble aiming at him.

“He’s mine … get the others!” he said with total confidence.

If there was one thing Derry and I were good at was following orders (note … both of us suck at following orders …) however this time we did and two zombies had arrows sticking out of them … twitching on the ground.

Daniel calmly waited for the quick zombie to get near and then swung his axe. The zombie fell forward with an axe blade in his skull. Daniel stuck his boot on what was left of his head and pulled his axe free. “Like splitting wood” He said.

We took out two more and Daniel removed the last one. Finally I got a chance to look back at the van …
 
Last edited:
We added some screaming to the blowing horn and soon about half of the horrors were surrounding the Van. Six.

With every bang at a window my heart skipped a beat.

Thomas started the engine. Drove back. Drove forward, hitting a zombie, drove back, steered to the left, hit another one.

"Stop it, drive back further, give me a chance to open the door and throw this." John said, holding a Molotov.

"No noise as soon as the engine stops." I warned. "Skip, keep that gun down!" False courage ... I would need to tell him that. Soon.

Thomas drove maybe fifty meters back. Stopped. Sounded the horn. One quick tip. I heard the dog barking again. The zombies closed up. Thomas drove another fifty meters. Then a hundred. One of the zombies was getting up and one was lying down moving his arms, but not his legs. It managed to turn around and started crawling towards us.

Thomas drove back two hundred meters. Waited a moment. John lighted the Molotov and reached for his door handle when Thomas drove back again. We screamed. He braked, stopped the engine.

John opened the door, threw the Molotov, a plastic one. It didn't shatter. One zombie stopped to look at the flames. I got my arms out off my window, shot a marble at that one. It fell, but I didn't know if it was my marble or John's.

We shot at others. One stopped. One fell down. Then the Molotov melted, and burning liquid formed a burning puddle, lightning the clothes of the zombie beside it, now kind of kneeling. It looked at the flames on its leg. It didn't slap at them, it just looked. One was still nearing our Van, and Skip got out, ran towards it, hit it with his club. Thomas got out. Ran towards Skip.

John and I got out. Shot at zombies coming from behind us. We put three down, and then another one. Two were getting up when I ran over, lighting a Molotov and threw it at them.

Then I shot at other zombies. Thomas came and hit one I hadn't seen coming near me. He ran over to some zombies I had put down, and hit them on the head. I looked around at Skip, didn't see him near. He was at the other far side of the car. He had grabbed one by its leg, dragged it over to the now burning one. Then he grabbed another one lying nearby. John added another to the pile ... As did Thomas on this side. I was panting, wanted to take another marble or something out of my pocket, and found none.

The nuts and bolts were in my other pocket. I never had liked to shoot with them. Now I had too. Took a handful out of my left pocket and put them in the right. Shot a bolt at a zombie. Thomas hit it. John and Skip came running over, helped John to drag zombies, some still kicking or trying to grab them, onto the pile.

And then there were just the fires, the barking and our panting.

When I managed to look around, I saw we were about as far from the car as we had been when we left the Knight. We were much closer to the family car with the barking dog inside.
 
Last edited:
As the horrid smell of burnt Zombie hit Derry in the face she blanched then coughed then gagged. Both Cassandra and Danial frowned putting their fingers to their mouths. Derry nodded her head as she got herself under control. They all stuck close together as they started to move forward out of the library. Derry quickly glanced up at the roof, seeing Peter she swallowed what little saliva her mouth could produce. Derry looked over at the car with the barking dog and the Zombies attracted by the sound. Her hand tightened it's grip on her bow, watching Cassandra go about collecting arrows, took Derry's mind off her fright and she was able to focus. Joining her friend, she soon had a few more arrows to add to her own meager store.

Suddenly Cassandra cried out as a Zombie started to grab at her, she shot an arrow point blank into it's skull. The look on her face made Derry nod in agreement, it felt good to kill those things. Danial glanced around seeing some of the creatures headed towards them he hissed,

“We have company!”

Both Derry and Cassandra put an arrow in their bows and were ready to shoot in seconds. (Oh...here we go!) was all Derry could think.

Seconds later the horn sounded from the van, this was enough to divert half the Zombies that had headed towards the three. One of the suckers was getting too close for comfort, trying to not panic, and aiming at the same time...was not working for the girls, then Danial said,


“He’s mine … get the others!”

It was enough, arrows were aimed and hit their targets while Danial took care of the closest one. With more confidence the three of them took out the rest of the creatures before turning to see how the van was faring.

All three were appalled to see too many of them trying to break into the van.

Derry whispered,

"What do we do now?...we have to help them!"
 
Last edited:
"What do we do now? ...we have to help them!" Derry whispered

Just then the Van started to move … Daniel, Derry and I watched the van drive over zombies and then back into them. It was a series of hit and runs.

I turned to Derry “We really need to get team one to a safe driver’s course!” I joked. Both Derry and Daniel burst out laughing. But soon we stopped laughing as we saw team one get out of their van and use another fire bomb and hand weapons to finish off the rest of the zombies. In the end the plaza was cleared of all the zombies.

I gave Ria a big thumbs up … and turned to follow Daniel and Derry as we started towards the Taylor's Bar and Grill. We got to the corner of the library … I noticed a few people watching us from the second floor. It was goofy … but I waved at them. They waved back. We moved slowly across the street to the Prince Lucien Campbell (PLC) Hall. There were more zombies here. So we waited … standing still. I had never spent much time in the PLC hall … I know there was a theater inside … and I think international studies. The zombies started to move closer to us … so I suggested we hide in the PLC. I carefully open the door and we all three went in.

I looked around the main hallway of the PLC and there was gore and blood along the walls. It was creepy as hell. Something you’d see in a zombie movie. That was a fucking stupid thing to say … but I think you know what I mean. Anyhow, I could just imagine college students screaming and running from the zombies along these halls. Seeing the half eaten bodies lying about the hallways … that meant some of them did not make it.

We moved forward in a group, Daniel taking the lead. Looking into the classrooms to make sure no zombies were lurking to spring out. Derry and I were behind Daniel in case he needed back-up. Hopefully that way we could minimize “friendly fire” injuries and conserve our ammo. We wanted to remain as quiet as possible, so everyone was whispering.

I had the right side of the hallway and Daniel the left. A few doors down I said “I got two over here” as I peeked into a classroom. I open the door quietly and pumped arrows in both their heads. Daniel came over for backup, but I waved him off. “Room is secure” I told him. We move along the hallway and came to a junction of 4 hallways. There was also a door with a sign that read “Lab”. There was no window in this door, so Daniel cracked it open and suddenly there was a groan and a Zombie hand reaching through trying to grab him. He SLAMMED his shoulder into the door, and the hand and part of the arm sliced off. The hand/arm fell to the floor. “That was fucking close” I said looking at Daniel. He smiled and joked “I know I have a big dick … but I need to be a little closer than that to fuck!” I moaned at his joke.

Then I said “You think he was trying to give you ... a hand?” I giggled looking at the hand on the floor. Daniel laughed and said “I don’t know why … I’m already ... armed!”

Derry looked at the two of us and shook her head. Then she heard something coming, probably caused by the slamming of the door.
 
First Team

The second team was as safe as they could be now, no zombies around them, and it seemed they had learned what was meant with ‘slow’.

“Can we get the dog out now?” Skip enquired.

“The dog? Are you nuts?” Thomas screamed while he whispered. I thought that impressive.

“No. That poor animal has been two days without food and water, and the zombies have left. Or are deader.”

“Deader?” I inquired.

Skip grinned. “Yep, deader. I reckon they were dead before we made them deader.”

I looked over to the car. There really were no zombies around now. The Molotovs we had thrown at those nearing had stopped them. Made it easy to kill the others who were attracted by the flames. Getting out off the car had been a good, albeit very impulsive and stupid thing to do, but that way we were able to stop more of them. And now the whole area around us was clean.

“Skip, I don’t know.” I really was in doubt. I love dogs too, and the desperate barking that had started after the noise of the horn had died away, had made my heart cringe. “It seems to be a big dog … Could be a Newfoundlander. They are good with children … Let's get him out.”

John shook his head. We neared the car. Very slowly. The dog was silent now, watched us.

“Oh My …” “Quick!” “Get them out!” “Dammed!” The men looked at me. As if they had never before heard a woman curse. We set to work, John and Skip were rattling at doors, I made soothing sounds and Thomas walked around the car, found the trunk lid partly open and took the keys out of the lock.

I dialed Max.

“Tell them to open the doors, we have found a toddler and a dog in this car. We are bringing them in. With the car. Lot of luggage in it too.”

“What! A child? Alive?”

“Yes. It will need clean pampers. And lots of fluid in small doses.”

I closed the phone, wondering what else we might find in cars standing around. It seemed someone had put their child and dog in, and then had started to put in the luggage. Two suitcases were lying on the other side of the car. I put them in the trunk, closed the lid.

“Drive it over?” John asked. “Easier then taking everything over by hand.”

We looked at each other. The running engine might attract zombies. And the seat beside the kid, and the floor were packed with bags too. No space for us to sit. Should we separate, two in the car, two others walking alone towards ‘our’ Van?

“It is not that far.” John said. “We could push it.”

I nodded. Opened the front door. The dog yelped. Jumped in the back beside the child, a boy, I thought, and licked his face. The toddler whimpered. Thomas inserted the key, fumbled around a bit, and mouthed ‘one, two three …’ He pushed the frame, held the steering wheel and we pushed the back. At first the car didn’t move, but then it started to roll.

“Not too fast!”

An eternity later we had reached the Knight. Stopped the car in front of the stairs. Thomas opened the back door, took the dog at its collar and pulled softly.

“Out boy. We need to get out. Ata boy …” My arms and legs trembled, but I moved to where Thomas was standing beside the car with the dog, who refused to take one more step. Skip already had the keys and opened the trunk. I took the child out off his seat. With the small, once in a while whimpering, stinking bundle in my arms, the dog almost walking between my legs, I went up the stairs. The doors opened. Max was standing there with Norah. The fire doors were open too. Max came out, took the child from me, and went back in. Thomas let go off the dog, and it followed Max inside.

Norah took a suitcase, Cramer came out, Peter came out, Max came back, Norah too, they walked down, took suitcases and bags from John and Skip. Within minutes the car was empty. Cramer had gotten the child’s seat out too. Nobody had said a word.

I looked at my watch. Three quarters of an hour had passed since we left the Knight. Peter was standing beside me.

“I understand why you brought the child back, but it is one more mouth to feed.” He whispered. “But why the dog? For god’s sake , why the dog?” He sounded desperate.

“The children will love him. This child will need him to get used to everything. One thing he knows from home. That dog and his clothes. And that one bag with playthings.”

“What the heck do we feed that huge animal?” He still sounded desperate.

“For now the bag of dog food that was in the car. Later on, leftovers. As soon as we start cooking we will have some leftovers at every meal. Some rests on the plate of a child. The burnt rests in a pot or pan. Things like that. Don’t worry about it. The dog is food too, if things get bad.” Peter made a soft gagging sound at that.

“Please try to bring things we need next time!”

I smiled tiredly. “We will do our very best. I don’t think we will pass cars with zombies around them though. Knowing what we have found in this one … Maybe in the next one is somebody who was on the run and just jumped into a car without having the keys for it.” Now I sounded desperate. Peter sighed, and nodded.

“Well, I suppose that was it from your side for today. Lets get in and close the doors.”

The men looked at me, Thomas shaking his head, Skip opening his mouth.

“That wasn’t it from our side. We will do the groceries now I think. Or go to the pharmacy first, I don’t know. We will see. We will check some cars for shopping and such too. Clean up a bit here first maybe.”

“Yeah, lets burn the stinking suckers!” Hissed Skip.

Those between the stairs were still burning, some that had been standing around them had caught fire too it seemed. Silently, moving very slowly, the men started to drag bodies towards the piles. Peter helped and Cramer came out again too. I went in to get some bottles with water. Lola was sitting on a chair, the child cradled in her lap and Norah was dripping water in his mouth. The dog was lying at their feet, its tongue busy slapping up water out of a small bowl. Max came with a bottle of orange juice.

“Dilute it with some water.” He told Norah. “I found some baby food in a bag. As soon as he is awake and bathed we will feed him some. What were those folks doing?”

“I don’t know Max. There were two bodies lying near, it seemed a man and a woman to me. They were eaten. Maybe she got the car loaded, came here to pick her husband up? And when he came out of the building the zombies got to him? Maybe she came out off the car and threw the suitcases at them? I don’t think we will find out what happened exactly. The child seems too small to tell. Two, or maybe three years old I think.”

I took two bottles, and went outside again.

“Cramer, Peter, get inside and close the doors please. It makes me nervous seeing them wide open.” I begged them.

Cramer, carrying some arrows, kissed me on my cheek as he passed me, and with a sly grin Peter kissed me too. On the corner of my mouth.

“Take care.” He whispered in my ear. Bright red I nodded.

“Lets get in.” John pointed at the car.

“Too small.” I pointed at our car. Further away now.

Slowly we moved towards it.
 
Last edited:
Lex

Lex had been watching and waiting. He had hoped the teams going outside would fail. Especially the one with that bitchy Dutch slut. But they didn’t. Amazingly they did something even worse than getting eaten. They brought back more mouths to feed. Incredible stupid. And add a dog to the useless baby they brought in. Everyone else huddled around the baby. Trying to help out. Even Max left his little fortress in the basement.

Lex knew how this was going to play out. The outside teams would be heroes … even though they had just made they’re food problem worse. He would not be able to keep his mouth shut … it was just TOO stupid. He would tell them to kill the dog and throw the baby off the roof.

Everyone would look at him like he was insane. But he was the only sane one in the bunch. THE OLD RULES OF SOCIETY WERE OVER! They all just did not realize it. It was survival of the fittest. And that meant the human that knew how to screw over other humans better was going to be the winner.

Lex knew how to screw people over. OH YES. So when Max and Peter were out trying to help out … he made his move. He quickly went into the basement and locked the door… grabbed the remaining food from the hiding place and opened one of the small side windows and put the food outside. He went back to the locked door and unlocked it. He went back to the small window and climbed out. He made sure to break the latch on the window lock. That way the window would look closed and locked … but in fact could be easily opened from the outside. He moved slowly over to the Gerslinger annex. It was basically an exercise facility for female students. The side door was open and he slipped into the complex. The stench was awful. Dead bodies were everywhere.

But he did see a large bank of vending machines mainly filled with Gatorade and energy drinks. “This is getting better and better!” he chuckled to himself. He locked the entrance door so his upset neighbors could not get in easily. Then he went to an admin office closed the door and locked it as well. “This will be my base camp for now!’ He thought as he unpacked the all food he had stolen. He was set for at least a month maybe more … too bad the library assholes will be dead in a week or two. But then he could move back over to the library where the smell was not so bad. If anyone was still alive he’d feed one or two of them … only the hot female students of coarse … then they would need to fuck him for food.

Ahhh it will be AWESOME!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top