The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow persists but it's driveable. I hope the trash-truck driver thinks so, and finds our garbage can before a bear does. Anyway, we get to drive out this afternoon for some immediate medical stuff (eyes this time) and again tomorrow, for I forget what now. [/me checks] Ah, a cat scan. A Manx will walk upon my chest and howl if anything is amiss. That's how it works, right?

Returning, we'll stop at a superb large Asian grocery in the oddly named 99 Ranch Market chain. Veggies to die for there. Tea-o-rama. More noodles than can be waded through. Inexplicable packages. An adventure for old honkies.

Some organic Honduran coffee is left. Y'all stop on by, with churros I hope.

It's officially spring time!

Now I'll put away the dismal winter-colored Fiestaware coffee mugs and get out the mugs with bright springy colors.

It's officially spring time!

Now I'll put away the dismal winter-colored Fiestaware coffee mugs and get out the mugs with bright springy colors.

Spring officially commences tomorrow for us; the 21st.
After a cold night, we are told to expect a relatively 'warm' afternoon.

But for now, please may I have a cup of coffee?

Afternooner to all.

Fresh coffee for the evening crew. I'll put on a new kettle cause HP will need it later.

It has been an interesting day in so many ways. :D

Afternooner to all.

Fresh coffee for the evening crew. I'll put on a new kettle cause HP will need it later.

It has been an interesting day in so many ways. :D

HG & HM been keeping you - erm - busy ?

Thanks for the hot kettle. a nice cup of tea is always welcome at this time of night

99 Ranch Market rocks! There is a better Asian market on the other side of the river here in Portland-ish but for those without such, it's the best. Man, you can't go down to the water and catch a fresher fish than the ones they sell live. And their pork? It's so far beyond good you need a telescope to see it. Of course there are some things that this ol' bear can't figure out how to cook . . .

Lets see, the evening wrap up:

Yes, HP HM & HG have been giving me hell since we went to bed last night. Not that I'm complaining. Worn out but with a big smile on my face.

Maybe i should dig out the tea leaves and see if it restores the strength.

Austin is catching hell from a serial bomber.

Bear, I know you own cookbooks.

Fresh coffee and kettle for the late crew. I think I feel a nap coming on.

It's 9am (GMT) and the temperature is reading about +5C.
And it's the first day of Spring (an event hitherto ignored).

So a nice cup of coffee and I'll pitch into the day.

Morning HP. It's 4AM here and I'm headed for bed. Watched a movie earlier and got attacked by a plot bunny afterwards. I wrote about 2500 or so words. Got the basics down.

I'll make fresh coffee before I head for bed. I had to turn the heat on here. Probably the mid 40's outside.

Night all

Morning HP. It's 4AM here and I'm headed for bed. Watched a movie earlier and got attacked by a plot bunny afterwards. I wrote about 2500 or so words. Got the basics down.

I'll make fresh coffee before I head for bed. I had to turn the heat on here. Probably the mid 40's outside.

Night all

Morning Tex. Sorry about the mess. "A Troll is Haunting Tex's" is now live and there was this party ....

It seems like a very low-traffic morning.

"Tamsin of Sky Village" went live this morning along with Chloe's tome. My story has managed a grand total of 219 views and five votes. Last time I checked Chloe's it was showing no views at all. I read the intro, so it should show one, anyway.

It seems like a very low-traffic morning.

"Tamsin of Sky Village" went live this morning along with Chloe's tome. My story has managed a grand total of 219 views and five votes. Last time I checked Chloe's it was showing no views at all. I read the intro, so it should show one, anyway.

186 views and one vote do far

Morning! Need something hot... Nor'easter sweeping through and boiler has been acting up. Happy Spring! 6-10 inches expected, not too bad.

Ch 7 of Tales from the Guilds is taking a long time to post. There isn't any sex in it so I'm assuming that the owners are spending their time with contest entries.

Ch 7 of Tales from the Guilds is taking a long time to post. There isn't any sex in it so I'm assuming that the owners are spending their time with contest entries.

Laurel put my last story up this morning (Wednesday). I submitted it on Monday. That surprised me, because I planned on at least one extra day's delay because yesterday was the last day to enter contest stories.

You might want to check with her.

Did somebody say poutine?

Quick, out there and mow it before winter.

Hey, you survived my story..... and I'm sorry about the poutine. No recipe.....

Please be specific. Last winter? This present winter? The winter due next week?

Ahh, poutine! I dreamed of poutine in dfac lineups. A dish ranging from an inedible mess suitable only for whiney SJWs and ex wives/husbands to an angelic repast only one's late, lamented great-grandmother could do justice to. For you, great authoress, an age-old recipe smuggled out of family vaults.

• Russet potatoes, washed but ideally not peeled (purist here), then cut into 1/4" strips and chilled overnight in cold water with a tsp of lemon juice.
  • Deep-fried for four minutes in 325F canola oil, removed from oil just long enough to heat oil to 400F, then refried for another minute or two until extra-crisp, drained briefly.
  • Immediately topped with room-temperature fresh white cheese curds (fresh = 'crunchy'), drizzled with very hot thin brown gravy (lamb is my favourite, venison a close runner-up, chicken or turkey OK in a pinch).
Only acceptable options: salt. Anything else invalidates 'poutine' classification. Specific deal-breakers: heavy or white gravy, seafood or meat of any kind, shredded or cubed cheese (let alone that inedible fluorescent cheese sauce per baseball game 'nachos'), olives, hot sauce, ketchup, onions, hot peppers, bell peppers, etc. Limp fries indicates one should seek a chef with commitment to his or her art.

OK, a case can - just maybe - be made for bacon bits, but only if real and made fresh from honest, maple-smoked bacon. Purists argue. Some poutine mavens will bend so far as to acknowledge the acceptability of a small twist of fresh-ground white pepper.

Best eaten outdoors in springtime off real newsprint. Beer or Pepsi is useful, but not essential.

I hope you enjoy. Having released the recipe, I will have to spend the rest of my life in hiding...

Last edited:
Please be specific. Last winter? This present winter? The winter due next week?

Ahh, poutine! I dreamed of poutine in dfac lineups. A dish ranging from an inedible mess suitable only for whiney SJWs and ex wives/husbands to an angelic repast only one's late, lamented great-grandmother could do justice to. For you, great authoress, an age-old recipe smuggled out of family vaults.

• Russet potatoes, washed but ideally not peeled (purist here), then cut into 1/4" strips and chilled overnight in cold water with a tsp of lemon juice.
  • Deep-fried for four minutes in 325F canola oil, removed from oil just long enough to heat oil to 400F, then refried for another minute or two until extra-crisp, drained briefly.
  • Immediately topped with room-temperature fresh white cheese curds (fresh = 'crunchy'), drizzled with very hot thin brown gravy (lamb is my favourite, venison a close runner-up, chicken or turkey OK in a pinch).
Only acceptable options: salt. Anything else invalidates 'poutine' classification. Specific deal-breakers: heavy or white gravy, seafood or meat of any kind, shredded or cubed cheese (let alone that inedible fluorescent cheese sauce per baseball game 'nachos'), olives, hot sauce, ketchup, onions, hot peppers, bell peppers, etc. Limp fries indicates one should seek a chef with commitment to his or her art.

OK, a case can - just maybe - be made for bacon bits, but only if real and made fresh from honest, maple-smoked bacon. Purists argue. Some poutine mavens will bend so far as to acknowledge the acceptability of a small twist of fresh-ground white pepper.

Best eaten outdoors in springtime off real newsprint. Beer or Pepsi is useful, but not essential.

I hope you enjoy. Having released the recipe, I will have to spend the rest of my life in hiding...

I'm on my way over. Steve's gonna distract you by talking ice hockey while I eat your poutine. That has me salivating like one of PuckIt's Vampire Hounds. Yum!

Edit: Next winter. I thought your summer was about 2 to 4 weeks max. You know, mid-July to mid-August and then Fall kicks in :D

Last edited:
I'll disarm the mines and stand down the were-pugs.
Will the Pekingese stay on guard? They're demon-hunters, y'know. A little Peke sniffs a demon and transforms into a giant foo-dog, ready to give battle. Could be very useful if LIT authors start begging at your door.

Today: wet wet wet. The atmospheric river is flowing; hillsides are sliding; floods are surging; and my Wellingtons need waterproofing. Today's long Sacratomato drive was survivable. The cat scanned me and didn't howl so there's that. They injected me with barium or something and said I can't have coffee or tea for 24 hours. No coffee? Shoot me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back