"Doctor Who: Powers of Ten" (OOC)

Of the classic i have to say Peter Davison was my Doctor. He was also the first that introduced me to it.

Out of the new and over all It would have to be David Tennet. Ironically they're related.

Of the classic i have to say Peter Davison was my Doctor. He was also the first that introduced me to it.

Out of the new and over all It would have to be David Tennet. Ironically they're related.

They're *family.* Heh.

Semantically I wouldn't say they're *related.*

Five introduced me, Seven intrigued and bewildered me, Eight enchanted me and blew my mind, Ten swept me off my feet into a World of Pure Imagination.

I love Eleven, and there will be an ache in my brain and in my heart when I don't see his face quite so often anymore.

Hubby's first contact was four. And at the age he was it just didn't catch him. Now as he's older and met the newer ones, he is using Netflix to catch himself up. I don't know if I've got that drive.

When i was introduced to the Doctor, it was on PBS (no BBC America back then) during Christmas vacation one year, since that was usually the only time i was allowed to stay up late. It was cool cause they would have marathons during that time of the year. So even though i started with 5, i was quickly introduced to the others. So for me they were all always there.

The 50th anniversary was surprisingly "happy". Moffat was a little too kind on this one, meaning the Christmas Special will likely crush our hearts and bury it beneath a few feet of cement concrete, then shove a meteor at it, just to be safe we're well broken. lol

Tennant and Smith are equal parts as "my" Doctor, and I'm not sure what I think of Capaldi yet. I'm going to be very sad once Eleven regenerates. Not sure I'll be able to handle it. D:

The 50th anniversary was surprisingly "happy". Moffat was a little too kind on this one, meaning the Christmas Special will likely crush our hearts and bury it beneath a few feet of cement concrete, then shove a meteor at it, just to be safe we're well broken. lol

Tennant and Smith are equal parts as "my" Doctor, and I'm not sure what I think of Capaldi yet. I'm going to be very sad once Eleven regenerates. Not sure I'll be able to handle it. D:

Yes. Moffat definitely subscribes to the Joss Whedon School of Happy Feels Instantly Undercut By Death and Despair.

I was very dubious about Capaldi at first, but I have quickly grown to love the mere idea of him.

Keep calm and love The Doctor... no matter what form he makes.

Good to have you along!

Yes. Moffat definitely subscribes to the Joss Whedon School of Happy Feels Instantly Undercut By Death and Despair.

I was very dubious about Capaldi at first, but I have quickly grown to love the mere idea of him.

Keep calm and love The Doctor... no matter what form he makes.

Good to have you along!

Thanks, love!

Oh, I'll warm up to Capaldi, I'm sure. I did with Matt Smith after all. ;) It's always bittersweet the first few episodes until things settle a bit.

Matt Smith has been an adjustment for me. But nowhere near as hard as it was to watch Colin Baker (6th) take over. It wasn't so much his fault as it was how the writers initially wrote his Doctor. It really took me awhile to get used to him.

Matt Smith has been an adjustment for me. But nowhere near as hard as it was to watch Colin Baker (6th) take over. It wasn't so much his fault as it was how the writers initially wrote his Doctor. It really took me awhile to get used to him.

I used to *despise* Six, but I mellowed.

Colin's really an amazing guy, and the deck was stacked against him from rel one.

The head of The BBC was living with his ex, for instance, had a real vendetta to grind.

I haven't listened to many of the Big Finish audios, but I'm told his are amazing.

Seeing him pal around with Davison and McCoy in that silly mockumentary was a joy to watch.

I used to *despise* Six, but I mellowed.

Colin's really an amazing guy, and the deck was stacked against him from rel one.

The head of The BBC was living with his ex, for instance, had a real vendetta to grind.

I haven't listened to many of the Big Finish audios, but I'm told his are amazing.

Seeing him pal around with Davison and McCoy in that silly mockumentary was a joy to watch.

Oh gosh, they WERE. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about Classic Who, or rather, not as much as I wish I did, but watching those little mockumentary for the 50th was beyond awesome.

Oh gosh, they WERE. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about Classic Who, or rather, not as much as I wish I did, but watching those little mockumentary for the 50th was beyond awesome.

To this day I wonder if they were really secretly in the thing.

To this day I wonder. I wonder if I always will.

That

was

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm a spoiled brat, but I was a little disappointed.

It seemed to carry over very little of the momentum from The 50th, and seemed in fact in too much of a hurry to tie everything up to do any of the elements sufficient justice.

I enjoyed the character of Handles, because of course I did.

And I enjoyed everything Clara did, because Clara.

And Smith's actual goodbye was handled with just the right balance of hope and heartache, warmth and gravitas. I sobbed like a baby.

But the plot-related stuff was a mess.

I think Moffat was taken by surprise, perhaps, that he thought he would have longer with Matt to tie up the "Silence" meta-arc-- the amount of material he needed to cover should at least have merited a two-parter, but of course they might not have had the time or budget for that after last month.

Maybe I'm a spoiled brat, but I was a little disappointed.

It seemed to carry over very little of the momentum from The 50th, and seemed in fact in too much of a hurry to tie everything up to do any of the elements sufficient justice.

I enjoyed the character of Handles, because of course I did.

And I enjoyed everything Clara did, because Clara.

And Smith's actual goodbye was handled with just the right balance of hope and heartache, warmth and gravitas. I sobbed like a baby.

But the plot-related stuff was a mess.

I think Moffat was taken by surprise, perhaps, that he thought he would have longer with Matt to tie up the "Silence" meta-arc-- the amount of material he needed to cover should at least have merited a two-parter, but of course they might not have had the time or budget for that after last month.

I agree with you Chas.

I thought all the performers were just awesome.

I felt the timing of the special was off. Which could be the fault of either how it was written or how it was executed by the director.

I was disappointed with how they chose to close some of the threads with just throw away lines.

I had assumed that the situation would be some how resolved with the help of his people, but the way it happened kinda left me... feeling like it was a bit of a cop out.

It was, in many ways, exactly what I expected.
They'd set up everything way too much that it almost had to be resolved in throwaway lines.
Going in expecting that, I could enjoy everything else.

Hm.

You were better prepared than I, then, and I commend you for that.

It's not often that I can say to myself with utmost confidence that I could resolve a storyline better than its canonical creators, but in this case I have no doubt that I could have.

I dunno. I think that if they wanted to do it right, they couldn't do it all at once. I also think that putting it in an Xmas special ate into the time.
If they really wanted to do it, they should have just done a two-parter.

I've said the same thing elsewhere.

But I suppose they mustn't've had the budget or the time after The Anniversary.

I've never been particularly clear on why they handle their series/seasons so oddly compared to other BBC shows...maybe it has something to do with that.

Also, I feel like maybe Moffat expected to have more time with Matt, that maybe Matt's departure was more of a surprise to him than The Powers That Beeb have been letting on.

Hhhhmmmmm...
I am reading through old posts on this thread and loving each of you takes on the series at the time it was written and anxious to see if there is still the spark of energy in this old thread... just enough that if i lend a bit of myself, say ten years, that it would get going again...

Back