Dark Receiver

"Oh I'm very sure about that, just listen to this one"

Claire turned and watched the recital. She looked across at the panel of auditioners and clearly saw their reaction.

"You see? She sounds bored by what she does. That is not what I want, I want life, I want spunk, I want somebody who can make the audience believe what they see. Not somebody reciting lines out of their head"

Claire laughed and glanced across at Elron. Both of them exchanged an " .. I told you so .. " look.

"Glen?"

They had called out to the man with them.

"What do you guys think?"

They were obviously not impressed.

Glen called out from the stalls.

"Thank you, we will let you know, just leave your details with Miss Swann"

Claire felt sorry for the young girl who was dismissed, but even she knew that reading through lines wasn't good enough.

"I have heard Act II, Scene II so much today that I want to strange old Will in his grave"

She laughed.

"That was the scene I vowed to avoid under all circumstances."

She told him.

"I think it would be impossible to work through without a clear idea of the context, setting and of course the dynamics between the two lovers ... "

She blushed, hoping she hadn't said too much, but Elron's obvious cameraderie with the man Glen was beginning to rub off and she felt more relaxed. Still she didn't want to give the wrong impression, after all she had no idea what she was letting herself in for ...
 
Glen Kane

"Well well you sure you're not studying acting? You start to sound more and more like Elron here"

He adjusted the papers he had on his lap and stretched out in his seat, not really listening as another Romeo declared undieing love to a woman he had met mere seconds ago.

"There is so much that I want to do with this play, make it a bit more modern, make people understand that what they see and hear can be carried over into any era. It doesn't need to be back in Old England where thou doth thy cloth ere eaten by moth"

He motioned around them

"We need a younger audience and not all people actually listen or understand the old English anymore. But for now I will have to keep it in the old form"
 
"Well well you sure you're not studying acting? You start to sound more and more like Elron here"

She laughed as he quipped.

"No .. but I'll take that as a compliment ... though we only met once before ... "

She clarified, not adding what an impression he had made on her.

"There is so much that I want to do with this play, make it a bit more modern, make people understand that what they see and hear can be carried over into any era. It doesn't need to be back in Old England where thou doth thy cloth ere eaten by moth"

She glanced across at Elron who seemed to be listening equally as intently as she.

"We need a younger audience and not all people actually listen or understand the old English anymore. But for now I will have to keep it in the old form"

It was clear he hadn't made any definitive decisions yet. It sounded fascinating to her.

"What's the time scale on all this?"

She asked him wondering how soon the company would be cast and if there would be time built in for ... experimentation ... She really had no idea how any company worked to stage a Shakespeare production, much less this one ...

"I'm completely free, if it helps ... "

She added with a laugh.

Any aspirations her family had for her for the next academic year were definitely on hold as far as Claire was concerned. This is what she wanted to do and nothing would stop her now she had the opportunity.
 
Glen Kane

"The booking is next month, so with both of you free and my supporting cast almost filled in..."

He paused as a promising voice sounded out

"Madam, an hour before the worshipp'd sun peer'd forth the golden window of the east, a troubled mind drave me to walk abroad; Where, underneath the grove of sycamore that westward rooteth from the city's side, so early walking did I see your son: Towards him I made, but he was ware of me and stole into the covert of the wood: I, measuring his affections by my own, that most are busied when they're most alone, pursued my humour not pursuing his and gladly shunn'd who gladly fled from me"

He nodded at the panel

"You have your Benvulio in that lad, he carries himself well enough"

He turned his attention back to his guests

"And if we can start tomorrow I am sure that dress rehearsal should be in three weeks if all goes well. Did you notice Claire, you were the only one to start with your name and what scene from which act you were reciting? That alone got you Brownie points"
 
"The booking is next month, so with both of you free and my supporting cast almost filled in..."

He turned and she too looked back onto the stage where a young man was auditioning. His voice was clear and his account animated.

"You have your Benvulio in that lad, he carries himself well enough"

Claire had thought he was quite good and realised that it wasn't actually easy to draw compliments from Glen.

"And if we can start tomorrow I am sure that dress rehearsal should be in three weeks if all goes well."


A thrill of excitement went through her. Claire was keen to get started and with Elron's presence, she knew she wouldn't lose her nerve.

"Did you notice Claire, you were the only one to start with your name and what scene from which act you were reciting? That alone got you Brownie points"

She shook her head. She had not actually noticed. She had thought it common sense to state her name and the part she was aspiring to play.
With a sideways grin at Elron, she replied to Glen.

" ... and I think that would also include Mr Kramer ... his ... audition ... was totally unannounced ..."

She laughed then as she acknowledged that he had totally fooled her, even though he had spoken about being at the audition ...
 
Glen Kane

He chuckled

"Mr Kramer I'll excuse this once, he swept the whole panel of their feet, damn he even had a few reaching for handkerchiefs"

He gave Elron a piercing look

"Yet you didn't kiss her, your words said so, but I could clearly see that you didn't"


Elron Kramer

He grinned at Glen

"Well I doubt that it would have been very believing if the seemingly dead Juliet slapped the lamenting Romeo, so I had to keep myself from doing as the words told me to do"
 
"Mr Kramer I'll excuse this once, he swept the whole panel of their feet, damn he even had a few reaching for handkerchiefs"

Claire rolled her eyes. Elron was obviously talented, but somehow she didn't feel overawed by him.

"Yet you didn't kiss her, your words said so, but I could clearly see that you didn't"

She too turned to Elron wondering what his reply would be.

"Well I doubt that it would have been very believing if the seemingly dead Juliet slapped the lamenting Romeo, so I had to keep myself from doing as the words told me to do"


Claire shook her head and could not resist responding with mock outrage.

"I can be ... professional ... "

And turning to address Glen and to avoid catching Elron's eye and breaking into laughter.

... and as such understand that ther may be much an actress may have to ... endure ... in the name of art ... "
 
Glen Kane

He chuckled, this girl really was amazing, he liked her a lot already and was sure that the more he got to know her the better it would get

"Elron I think that we must get her to come over and have dinner with us tonight, maybe somebody should consult with her parents for their permission? You know make it look all formal and impressive..."


Elron Kramer

He rolled his eyes

"Who says that she would want to eat your food? I barely survive"
 
Claire couldn't help laughing at their reactions.

"Elron I think that we must get her to come over and have dinner with us tonight, maybe somebody should consult with her parents for their permission? You know make it look all formal and impressive..."

Before Claire could protest, Elron had responded.

"Who says that she would want to eat your food? I barely survive"

The easy cameraderie between the two was infectious and Claire could not help but be in awe of the closeness they shared that had originated way back in their childhood.

"I'm not sure about the consultation for parental permission ... "

She responded.

" ... I am above the age of consent ... "

Somehow involving her parents more than she had to would somehow take the gloss of this opportunity.

"Obviously I'd need to let them know I'll be home late, rather than just not show ... They still tend to freak when I do that ... "

Despite her light words, it was clear that the relationship with her parents wasn't easy and the fact that she wasn't rushing off to call them with the "good news" was testimony enough that they were at odds when it came to decisions about her future ...
 
Elron Kramer

He caught the look that Glen gave him and chuckled

"OK fine Glen, I'll put on the suit and go tell them that the star of the show will be detained tonight"

He got up and grinned at Glen

"You owe me one"

Holding his hand out for Claire

"Come on Claire, let's go share the joyous news with our parents, their girl is going to be a star"
 
"OK fine Glen, I'll put on the suit and go tell them that the star of the show will be detained tonight"

Claire tried to protest, but it seemed that when the two of them were set on an idea they threw themselves at it like a rollercoaster...

"You owe me one"

She watched them exchange handshakes.

"Come on Claire, let's go share the joyous news with our parents, their girl is going to be a star"

Feeling it futile to argue with Glen around, Claire put her hand into Elron's and let him draw her along the side aisle and out to the side of the theatre.

"I'm.. not so sure this is a good idea ... "

She tried to slow him down.

"My ... parents ... they're ... "

She searched for the right word.

" ... well ... think Capulets without the aggression ... "

She told him.

"I'm not sure they'll be thrilled at the news ... like I said ... they don't rate the theatre as a career choice ... "
 
Elron Kramer

"Well then I will be Paris, there to guide their daughter towards the greater good. Believe me Claire I can be very convincing if I want to be and right now I want to be. Glen is usually a good cook, but if you're going to come around my mouth and stomach is going to sing Hallelujahs tonight"


Glen Kane

He waited for all the candidates to finish, marking some of them as potentials and also filling out his cast. He now had enough people and even some more for the next one he had in mind. He finally realized that he was not concentrating, that his mind kept wandering towards Claire. He smiled to himself, she was a beautiful woman, of that there was no mistaking.
 
"Well then I will be Paris, there to guide their daughter towards the greater good."

Claire laughed, but shook her head still not convinced.

"Believe me Claire I can be very convincing if I want to be and right now I want to be. Glen is usually a good cook, but if you're going to come around my mouth and stomach is going to sing Hallelujahs tonight"

She laughed.

"Well as long as you realise that meeting with my parents will be hard work ... but then if you're willing to work for your supper Mr Kramer, you can't say that I didn't warn you .... "
 
Glen Kramer

At the door he slipped a jacket on and put on a tie, he brushed over the jacket to make sure it was clean and the lead Claire to a car, opening the door, he waited for her to get in and then he got in on the driver's side.

"So directions would be forth coming as we drive?"

He started the car

"Forward chariot as thou destination awaits"
 
Claire watched in amusement as he spruced up his appearance and slid into the car buckling up as he joined her in the driver's seat.

"So directions would be forth coming as we drive?
Forward chariot as thou destination awaits"


She chuckled.

"Well ... that's easy ... you remember the park ... ? Well if you turn right at the main gate, head towards the Church, then left before the Church hall, we're down there, number 24."

She watched him steer the car smoothly past the mainstreet and out towards the park.

"... but for what it's worth ... I still don't think this is a wise decision ... but ... go for it Romeo ... "
 
Elron Kramer

He gave her a smile

"Believe me I talked my last girlfriend's parents into letting her go to a Rave party with me. If I can do that, I am sure that this is something I can do and I am sure that after tasting Glen's food, you will also say it was worth it"

He stopped in front of the house and got out, opening her door for her and locked the car before they walked up to the house
 
"Believe me I talked my last girlfriend's parents into letting her go to a Rave party with me. If I can do that, I am sure that this is something I can do and I am sure that after tasting Glen's food, you will also say it was worth it"

She could only imagine how he had convinced them, but she was sure that whilst it was unlikely her own parents would stop her going out for a meal, it was their reaction to her new job that she dreaded.

"Ok ... here goes .... "

She pushed the door open and stepped into the house, waving Elron in and closing the door behind her.

"That you, Claire?"

Claire made a face and replied.

"Yes ... I've brought a .... a visitor with me ... "

And stepped into the front room where her father sat and her mother came in hurriedly.

"What's happened? Not another accident? Are you alright? Claire??"

Claire bit back her impatience.

"I'm fine, as you can see ... this ... "

She drew Elron forward resisting the urge to hide behind him.

"This is Elron Kramer, from the theatre ... "

Her father interrupted her.

"Ahhh yes.. that audition ... I suppose you had stars in your eyes too huh, son...? Lot of nonsense ... there was no way .... "

Claire shot a glance at Elron -yet another 'I told you so' and interrupted her father.

"Daddy! Elron is playing the lead, Romeo?"

She prompted not assuming he would even remember the play she had auditioned for.
Both her parents stopped in their tracks and made suitably impressed vocalisations.

"... and ... I got Juliet ... "

She managed to tell them finally.
The reaction this time was heavy silence.

" ... well ... that will never work ... "

It was her father who spoke.

"I'll ... go and put the kettle on ... "

Her mother bustled off in agitation.

The reaction was even worse that Claire had anticipated.
 
Elron Kramer

So this was what he had to work with? Strange. Why did they ask about an accident?

"Well sir I am sure that if you give her just half a chance to show to you what she can do, I am very certain that you will understand just why she got the role. Not only did I audition I am also part of the production team, I can assure you that Claire here has more talent than anybody I have seen in a very long time"

He took a breath

"Now I am aware that the theater is seen as a dead end, but as I am still studying I am sure that she can fit acting into her studying as well. So please don't act like she made a mistake by auditioning and getting the part. She deserve it"
 
"Well sir I am sure that if you give her just half a chance to show to you what she can do, I am very certain that you will understand just why she got the role.
Not only did I audition I am also part of the production team, I can assure you that Claire here has more talent than anybody I have seen in a very long time"


Claire's father was speechless. He had assumed that he would just be able to say to Claire to forget all that nonsense and that she would easily been seen to return to the safety of the family home and the plans that he and his wife had for her. He had not assumed that she would have any talent in that area and had definitely not forseen that one of the production team would return home with her. He eyed Claire suspiciously wondering if it had been a ploy of hers to bring "back up" with her. She had been more ... difficult ... of late and this would make things even more complicated.

"Now I am aware that the theater is seen as a dead end, but as I am still studying I am sure that she can fit acting into her studying as well.
So please don't act like she made a mistake by auditioning and getting the part. She deserve it"


Claire's mother had returned with a tray. Best china, Claire noted. Well that was one thing. Elron was honoured if he but knew it.

"She did well you say?"

It was Claire's mother who spoke as she waved them to a seat.

"We thought it was one of her silly fancies ... she's had plenty of those ... lives in her own little world most of the time ... "

Claire bit her tongue and handed Elron the tea she had been given and willed her mother to keep to the point.

"... but just lately she's been sneaking around ... going to theatres .... and heaven knows where ... staying out til all hours ... no consideration for her father or me ... and she used to be such a homely girl ... "

Claire almost choked on her tea and managed to nudge Elron to prevent him from reacting to her mother's words. Claire knew for sure it was all teasing amunition for later!

" ... no ... never that ... "

It was her father, who had stopped her mother in full flow.

"But she used to be less ... secretive ... "

His gaze fell on her and Claire had the grace to blush.

"It was just too important to me, Daddy."

She murmured. It was the first civil conversation she'd had with her parents since the bus crash.

"You know how I've always loved the theatre.
To be able to play any role would have been a dream come true but ... this ... this is Shakespeare ... Juliet ... "


She willed him to understand.
 
Elron Kramer

"Oh she did beyond well, she enchanted everybody there, she barely had chance to finish before the producer gave her the spot and believe me, that producer can be a huge pain to please"

He listened to them, this was the usual stuff that young people and their parents went through

"I am sure that if the was less judgment on her work and dreams she may just share more of it with you"

He held up his hand

"I am not judging your parenting skills, believe me that is the last thing I would want to do as I am VERY unfamiliar with that territory, but why would she hide something if she isn't scared of meeting reprove?"
 
"Oh she did beyond well, she enchanted everybody there, she barely had chance to finish before the producer gave her the spot and believe me, that producer can be a huge pain to please"

She hoped her father was coming round, despite his accusation about her being secretive, but then Elron spoke once more.

"I am sure that if the was less judgment on her work and dreams she may just share more of it with you"

She could see her father bristle.

"I am not judging your parenting skills, believe me that is the last thing I would want to do as I am VERY unfamiliar with that territory, but why would she hide something if she isn't scared of meeting reprove?"

Claire held her breath. She didn't know what to say to ease the situation. Her parents weren't reproving as such. They simply did not understand her dream and they seemed to want to control her comings and goings, to keep tabs on her and the people she met with.

"Well ... it's good of you to help Claire like this, Elron ... "

Her father said and exchanged a meaningful look with her mother, who glanced across at Elron in horror.

"Let's just see how this thing plays out, shall we?"

Her father soothed and downed his tea in one gulp.
 
Elron Kramer

He adjusted his glasses and looked from one parent to the other, something was up. Something more than just parents being careful about their daughter

"The reason I am here is that the producer is holding a dinner for the cast and that I came along to ask your permission if Claire could be absent tonight, for say another three hours?"
 
"The reason I am here is that the producer is holding a dinner for the cast and that I came along to ask your permission if Claire could be absent tonight, for say another three hours?"

Again a look was exchanged. Again it was her father who spoke.

"With the rest of the cast, you say ? Well ... that can't do any harm can it?"

He smiled, but there was no warmth in the way he looked at Elron.

"You be sure to get to know everyone, now Claire ..."

He urged her.

"Plenty of time to spend with 'Romeo' here once you get properly started.
Assuming you're still interested in the play by then ... "
 
Elron Kramer

He didn't like that look and the words her father directed at her was very ominous, but they have given their consent and that was what counted. He finished his tea and placed the cup down.

"Thank you very much and this is exquisite china, has it been in the family for long?"
 
"Thank you very much and this is exquisite china, has it been in the family for long?"

It was her mother who spoke.

"It was my grandmother's. I'm glad you liked it ... "

She threw an anxious glance across at her husband.

"Well ... you'll want to be going ... "

She offered and Claire was more than happy to escape.

"Thanks for the tea mum, I'll take a key ... but I won't be too late, ok?"

She still thought that her father was acting particularly strange.
She gave her mother a hug and a kiss and left the house as soon as possible.

"Well Mr Charm ... my dad did NOT like you ... in fact, Tybalt-Romeo dynamics spring to mind ... "

She shook her head. It was odd.
It was not like her father to take against people in that way.
 
Back
Top