Etiquette on replying to feedback?

alexismarc

Virgin
Hi everyone. I'm a longtime reader here and brand new author- just posted my first story this week. My question is this: I've been getting "feedback" emailed to me, which confused me at first but then I realized it is perhaps for people who want to comment but don't have an account? Anyway, I'm wondering if I should be replying to this feedback. Each one contains the person's email address, which makes me think I should. Thoughts?

First. Is your Lit user account linked to your real email id?

If yes, you should think twice before replying.

I use an entirely different email id for Lit. This saves me from a heartburn of giving out my real name. There is no shortage of creeps here, especially for women.

If no, then you SHOULD reply to feedback that contains return email address. They're giving out email id in the hopes of a reply from the author.

Who in hell uses their real name for an email account?

Every email account I have ever had was never my real life name. The five I use now, three are linked to my pen names, the other two are linked to websites. Never will my real name go out over the internet. Even the email that is linked to my bank isn't my real name...just in case.

By the way my real name is George Magillicuddy. ;)

ETA: But to the point of the OPs question...

It is polite to answer comments which the reader has taken the time to send. The email comment is there so the reader doesn't have to leave a public comment which the others reader may flame him/her for.

I always answer the email comments. Sometimes a connection is made and the we exchange more emails, others I never hear from again.

But it's up to you.

Welcome to the AH.

Last edited:

Every email account I have ever had was never my real life name. The five I use now, three are linked to my pen names, the other two are linked to websites. Never will my real name go out over the internet. Even the email that is linked to my bank isn't my real name...just in case.

By the way my real name is George Magillicuddy. ;)

ETA: But to the point of the OPs question...

It is polite to answer comments which the reader has taken the time to send. The email comment is there so the reader doesn't have to leave a public comment which the others reader may flame him/her for.

I always answer the email comments. Sometimes a connection is made and the we exchange more emails, others I never hear from again.

But it's up to you.

Welcome to the AH.

I use my real name so that my real life contacts don't get confused. What I'm saying that the OP shouldn't use a regular email id to reply.

It would save a lot of headache if the OP is being bombed by email replies.

I'm just giving my two cents here. :)

BTW, nice to know your name, George Magillicuddy. :D

Would that be the Jamestown, NY, Magillicuddy's?

You don't have a sister by the name of Lucy by any chance, do you?

No. We're from New Mexico, just over the border from the US. ;)

I use my real name so that my real life contacts don't get confused. What I'm saying that the OP shouldn't use a regular email id to reply.

It would save a lot of headache if the OP is being bombed by email replies.

I'm just giving my two cents here. :)

BTW, nice to know your name, George Magillicuddy. :D

See I do that by using initials and a number. It just happened to be my user ID at work, but not many would be able to get my name from just initials and some numbers.

;) Yeah, my real name...lol.

Welcome to the AH.

Someone who, for instance is a real newbie and knows not the cautions to be taken by the wise user ?

Hi everyone. I'm a longtime reader here and brand new author- just posted my first story this week. My question is this: I've been getting "feedback" emailed to me, which confused me at first but then I realized it is perhaps for people who want to comment but don't have an account? Anyway, I'm wondering if I should be replying to this feedback. Each one contains the person's email address, which makes me think I should. Thoughts?

I commend to you the following:-

1. Get a new private email address and tell nobody except real friends and fellow workers.
2. Reply to any reader who offers helpful advice, guidance and polite comment.
3. Ignore the nasty emails; erase them real soon.

Welcome to the chaos and good luck!

Someone who, for instance is a real newbie and knows not the cautions to be taken by the wise user ?

The very first thing I learned when the interweb came into being and I could surf the web, was to get an anonymous email account and give that one out over the net.

I took that advise to heart and have never, ever used my real name on the internet, except where I really had to.

Bank, Credit Card purchases, etc. And only on those sites that were secure. (back in the old days if they said they were secure they were, today...????)

So since 1989, I have been using "Phony" email addresses. All my friends and family know who I am when they get an email from zeb1094 so no worries.

Thanks for the help everyone. No I don't use my real name at all for writing erotica. Here, on my blog and on fetlife, I'm Alexis :)
I'm off to reply to all my feedback!

I use my real name cuz I'm not a candyass scardy cat.

I use my real name cuz I'm not a candyass scardy cat.

I sometimes affectionately picture you as a cantankerous old woman with hair rolls, big yellowish teeth, a cigarette, four cats, a ferret and a crazy gerbil named Blitz.

Otherwise as a dwarf, hammering away at steel or Mythril while spitting on a pot and roaring insults to all the other dwarfs. You have one eye. The other eye was plucked out in an accident but you like to tell people it was taken out while fighting a dragon; not because you want the glory but because it amuses you to see how many actually believe it.

:)

Montanos

Last edited:
I sometimes affectionately picture you as a cantankerous old woman with hair rolls, big yellowish teeth, a cigarette, four cats, a ferret and a crazy gerbil named Blitz.

Otherwise as a dwarf, hammering away at steel or Mythril while spitting on a pot and roaring insults to all the other dwarfs. You have one eye. The other eye was plucked out in an accident but you like to tell people it was taken out while fighting a dragon; not because you want the glory but because it amuses you to see how many actually believe it.

Montanos

Wow. JBJ should put that up in his signature.

Montanos

Love it!

Montanos

I've known plenty of professional women who have their shit together and please everyone yet believe theyre pregnant with Elvis' babies. I'm confident you'd be scared shitless if you really knew what other posters believe and think.

I've known plenty of professional women who have their shit together and please everyone yet believe theyre pregnant with Elvis' babies. I'm confident you'd be scared shitless if you really knew what other posters believe and think.

:D

Montanos

Back