GAYDAR - Does it Exist?

Well, some people that I know have guessed I'm into men so I guess it does. One girl has been 100% every time she's guessed.
 
Yeah, it exists. My ex GF could tell that a car driving near us was full of dykes. :D

I personally don't trust mine 100%, but if I ping someone and then watch them for a while i can usually pick up a more reliable clue eventually.
 
It's just being tuned into certain mannerisms. I think it gets better with experience. I rarely get false positives, but I am sure, I miss a lot of guys who are trying to stay in the closet too.

And I perhaps attribute most of my own "gaydar" to my own outward personality and mannerisms and appearance...because while I am not in your face, most people who meet me for the first time figure it out in short order.

Topher
 
Personally, I don't want the government to have Gaydar, especially now that they are purchasing and arming drones for law enforcement. I can see the gaydar guns mounted on the wingpods next to the hellfire missiles already.
 
I think the real idea behind it is when you go out looking for something you're going to end up finding it. I've had total conversations with people as gay as a three dollar bill and was not interested in them at all and them not into me either and it never even crossed my mind they could be gay. Other times I've seen people from half a block away and could tell right from the way they were standing.
 
I can read people anyway. So mine is usually right. You can always buy one of 'these
gaydar.jpg
 
I think people pick up on mannerisms more than actual sexual orientation. One of my very straight friends says he kinda wishes he was gay, 'cause he consistently comes across as flaming gay when people first meet him.
 
I think there is gaydar in general but extrapolating generalizations to an individual is always dangerous when making a determination about that individual. Having said that, mine has been fairly accurate but definitely not a 100%. I have a friend who is a PhD Psychologist and she is correct every time we've been together and are people watching or chatting about friends and acquaintances. Even people that I was sure weren't gay and that she must be wrong in her assessment, I would be proven wrong. :)
 
Gaydar & Transdar

Aye, me lads and lassies...tis true! I among others I know have not only gaydar, but also transdar.

It seems I was the last to know I was transexual! But later I found that people closest to me already knew but didn't ever say anything to me.

Among the tgirls I know we have a saying: It takes one to know one! I have found that pretty much to be true.
 
I think Gaydar is over rated. If someone is attracted to you, you may be able to tell if they don't go out of their way to hide it. However, if they are not attracted to you, there is a harder time telling what their sexual preference is. Now, if you observe them, and see that they are attracted to someone else, then maybe you can figure it out.

Attraction aside, I don't think you can tell by mannerisms. Not all gay people are "gay acting" anymore than not all str8 people are "str8 acting". Whatever those terms might mean in the non-sexual behavior mode that we hear them used...

I will say that lately, I have had some serious issues with determining gender over the phone. FYI, the calls were not of a sexual nature at all. It has happened twice in the last 6 months. I'm not talking about 3 minute conversations, but long 20 minute calls. I cannot figure that out at all. One was a person that had a neutral gender name, and I assumed it was a male from our long conversation. I found out way later that it was a female. I felt really bad and apologized, I just hope she can forgive me. The other was just yesterday and turned out at the end when I asked for the name the person said Larry. I asked them to spell it, as I swear that I was talking to a woman. I've never made mistakes like this before (that I know of), so it is strange for me. To be honest, I suppose I must give off something wrong myself occasionally. Though I sing low, I have had people on the phone (99% of the time women) who will slip and say "ma'am" to my talking voice. When I was younger, it used to bug the hell out of me. I just accept it, but I still don't know what causes it. I assume that most of them are straight women, so I wonder if on the phone they can come how pick up sounds of potential mates or not, and somehow if you are not, their subconscious mind says it must be another woman.
 
I somehow can often tell. A notable example is that the weekend after my wife and I got engaged, she was maid of honor in her best girlfriend's wedding. I hadn't met her best girlfriend. (This was in college and the girlfriend was at a college several states away from where my wife and I were going.) Because of the engagement, I was thrown into the mix late and was sort of a fifth wheel and another place setting hurriedly placed. But the moment I saw the groom for the first time, I knew. And I asked my girlfriend if her girlfriend knew she was marrying a gay guy. I got the funiest look. He was (and hit on me the night before the wedding to prove it--but I didn't know I was bi for several years after that) and had only married her for her money.

Years later, after he was rolled up in a police raid and the newspapers had a field day (she was a socialite), and the divorce, and him moving to Texas and dying of AIDS, the woman asked me why I hadn't told her at the wedding. Well, I'd only met her that weekend. It's not exactly something you speculate about under the circumstances, I don't think. (But them I didn't tell my girlfriend the guy hit on me at the bachelor party either.)
 
Oh yes, gaydar definitely exists. I have had more than a couple of gay guys give me the eye in the past. It was this like instantaneous connection. It happened so fast there was no time to think. Only react. In a couple of cases I wish I had reacted more quickly. But I am bi and work slowly....
 
Fingernails

Yeah, it exists. My ex GF could tell that a car driving near us was full of dykes. :D

I personally don't trust mine 100%, but if I ping someone and then watch them for a while i can usually pick up a more reliable clue eventually.

My gardar isn't even close to 100% but if suspect she may be lesbian, like Stella I tend to keep my eyes on her. If she has long fingernails of course I just give up!
 
My gaydar isn't even close to 100% but if suspect she may be lesbian, like Stella I tend to keep my eyes on her. If she has long fingernails of course I just give up!

OH yeah. :D ( you'd like mine... short as hell, and painted black)
 
-------------

I think gaydar is real. I'm most
often accurate with mine.
It also seems a lot
of people think I'm
gay, although the lines can be
blurred slightly.
 
Attraction aside, I don't think you can tell by mannerisms. Not all gay people are "gay acting" anymore than not all str8 people are "str8 acting".

True about not necessarily being able to tell by mannerisms, but in the case of men, I can sometimes tell right away that the man is gay because of what are deemed the stereotypical mannerisms and "gay voice" of gay men. And I'm always correct in those cases; I personally haven't come across a straight man with such mannerisms and such a way of speaking, except for the few who initially identified as straight but later identified as gay. One of my gay male friends stated that "there is a definitely a special way that most, or at least a large number of, gay men move and talk" and that he doesn't know why this is the case for how he moves and talks as well. But whatever the case, it is something researchers have studied with regard to men.

There are no common mannerisms and voice-type associated with lesbians, or any woman sexually attracted to women. In the case of assuming that a woman is a lesbian based on presentation, all I see people talking about is "Oh, look at her haircut" (how short her hair is), "Look at her clothing style" (how masculine it is), and that because of either or both of those, the woman is a lesbian.
 
Last edited:
Bidar

Well, do you think the community you are in has nuch to do with how we act or react? Everyone I talk to sees to think that it changes in small area's like where I am. It is tougher. I am bi and finding someone to share with is sure hard in a small community.
 
Back
Top