The Cool Science Stuff Thread

Scientific American
Scientific American Verified Account
@sciam

Is NASA’s golden age of space telescopes ending? For the second year in a row, the White House is seeking to cancel one of the space agency’s top-priority astrophysics projects, the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope

11:47 AM - 18 Mar 2019
this government has a thing about real scientists. it's been steadily reducing their numbers since trump came to office.
 
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1
Nile shipwreck discovery proves Herodotus right – after 2,469 years

Greek historian’s description of ‘baris’ vessel vindicated by archaeologists at sunken city of Thonis-Heraclion

Robinson said: “Where planks are joined together to form the hull, they are usually joined by mortice and tenon joints which fasten one plank to the next. Here we have a completely unique form of construction, which is not seen anywhere else.”

Alexander Belov, whose book on the wreck, Ship 17: a Baris from Thonis-Heracleion, is published this month, suggests that the wreck’s nautical architecture is so close to Herodotus’s description, it could have been made in the very shipyard that he visited. Word-by-word analysis of his text demonstrates that almost every detail corresponds “exactly to the evidence”.

Ship 17 is the 17th of more than 70 vessels dating from the 8th to the 2nd century BC, discovered by Franck Goddio and a team – including Belov - from the European Institute for Underwater Archaeology during excavations in Aboukir bay, with which the Oxford Centre is involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...eck-herodotus-archaeologists-thonis-heraclion
 
AS16-113-18289HR.jpg




Apollo 16 Earthrise with Ken "did not get the measles" Mattingly's command module "Casper" just above the horizon.
 
I wondered who would be the first to bring Trump into this thread. :rolleyes:
did you now? :rolleyes:

he brought himself into this thread by ignoring cool science put into place to protect the environment and american people, rolling it back to make things "easier' aka more profitable for his oil buddies and fuck the american populace. if you're happy with that, then jog on.
 

A very cool story:


How Climate Change Buried A Desert 20,000 Feet Beneath The Gulf of Mexico Seafloor




by David Middleton


"...HBO’s 1998 From the Earth to the Moon miniseries was a sort of follow-on to the great movie Apollo 13… It’s a must see for space program fanatics. I particularly like this episode because my childhood interest in the space program led me toward the sciences and ultimately geology. Future Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison “Jack” Schmitt recruited his former field geology professor to train the Apollo 15 lunar module team and their backup crew how to become field geologists. It reminds me of why I love geology so much. I’ve also had the great honor of meeting Dr. Schmitt at the 2011 American Association of Petroleum Geologists convention in Houston. Shaking hands with someone who not only walked on the Moon, but also got to throw a rock hammer farther than any geologist ever has before or since, was pretty fracking cool.

The late Scott Carpenter, Jack Schmitt and my old friend and former colleague James Reilly were the featured speakers at the All Convention Luncheon. AAPG has a really cool video of their talk.

While we usually aren’t 240,000 miles away from the stories we are trying to unravel. We are often 10,000 to 20,000 feet above the rocks that contain the story. In many cases, these rocks have no surface outcrops. Apart from well cuttings, sidewall cores and occasional whole cores, we never actually see the rocks. We often have to unravel the story from gravity, magnetic and seismic surveys, electric logs of wells that have been drilled into these rock formations, our imaginations and a firm understanding of “the language” of the rocks .

The Jurassic Period (Oxfordian) Norphlet formation is a great example of geological interpretation and storytelling…"


(much) more...




 
Back
Top