A Crime too far (Closed to cynstv )

Eric took a piece of chicken, and nibbled on it. He had ordered the same burger as Max, and was so busy trying to figure out what he was trying to say... trying to do, he was anxious for it to arrive, give him time to think. He hadn't realized he was staring, but indeed he was. Staring at the way she held her chicken, the shape of her mouth as she took a bite.. every little detail, he absorbed... and he was being way too obvious about it.

"It keeps going wrong..."

"How about you take something that went wrong, and let's see how it could maybe go right? Or could have gone right... or..." There he went again, rambling and fumbling over words.

"Let's play a game... a modified version of 20 questions. What do you think Max? Only rule is we have to tell the truth. Honestly, you never have to see me again, so what's the harm?"
 
Last edited:
"How about you take something that went wrong, and let's see how it could maybe go right? Or could have gone right... or..."

She shook her head. He was talking crazy again.

"Let's play a game... a modified version of 20 questions. What do you think Max? Only rule is we have to tell the truth. Honestly, you never have to see me again, so what's the harm?"

She frowned at him.

"You think my life is a game? You think that answering a few questions will make everything ok again?"

Her voice was quietly controlled, but angry.

"Fine."

She leaned back and crossed her arms.

"You're paying, so I'll play your stupid game."

She knew it was just a way to get her to spill out her life history and despite his 'rules', how was he to know if she was lying or not.
 
Eric could tell Max was getting pissed off again. Damn that girl has so much anger he thought to himself.

"Look, let me be blunt... You're in a tough spot, struggling to eat, struggling to have a place to stay, you commit a crime, against me that can get your ass locked up for 20 years... and you're seriously gonna treat me like the bad guy here? Get a clue darling... someone actually gives a shit about you, and you are pushing away as hard as you can," Eric was getting frustrated. All he wanted to do was help, and she was dead set not to take it.

"Maybe you're the reason you're in this situation, consider that lately?" Eric realized instantly he had gone too far, but he couldn't put the toothpaste back in the tube now.

"So here is your question, answer it if you want, don't, if you don't want to. It's up to you at this point.
So... if you had a chance to change your situation, to take away the struggling for food and shelter, how far would you go to get it?" Eric asked. He knew she would blow up, that seems to be all she knows to do, but he laid it out there none the less.
 
"Look, let me be blunt... "

She quirked an insolent smile. If he came to the point it would be a miracle.

"You're in a tough spot, struggling to eat, struggling to have a place to stay, you commit a crime, against me that can get your ass locked up for 20 years... and you're seriously gonna treat me like the bad guy here?"

The fact he was right didn't make her any more receptive to what he had to say.

"Get a clue darling... someone actually gives a shit about you, and you are pushing away as hard as you can,"

Her face set. All she could hear that he was patronising her. She didn't for a minute believe he 'cared'.

"Maybe you're the reason you're in this situation, consider that lately?"

She paled, if that were even possible given her complexion. It was as if he had slapped her in the face.

"So here is your question, answer it if you want, don't, if you don't want to.
It's up to you at this point.
So... if you had a chance to change your situation, to take away the struggling for food and shelter, how far would you go to get it?"


She held his gaze for long moments, a multitude of thoughts flying through her mind.

"Pretty far."

She told him, her voice flat.

"... just not quite this far ... "

She told him firmly.

Without a word she took to her feet and wrapping her coat around her and headed outside. Once through the door she pulled her hood up over her to hide the face, the tears that she had vowed never to shed again coursing down her face and began to pace determinedly away from him, his car and all the interrogations and accusations. If he called the cops on her, so be it. Right now she'd prefer to be in jail. Either way she'd gotten past caring about what happened to her.
 
Throwing two twenty dollar bills on the table, Eric followed Max out. He finally caught up to her, half way across the parking lot. He grabbed her shoulder, and spun her around... intending to continue chewing her spoiled ass out. Somewhere in the back of his head, he knew better, but how in the world could she be so dense!?!

Upon spinning her around, he saw tears... Instantly, he felt a mix of emotions, ranging from feeling like gutter slime, to a small sense of victory. He had gotten through to her.

"Maxine, look, don't do this. You are beautiful, I can't explain it, but for some reason, I feel like I can't let you down. I saw you when I took your hood off, and my heart skipped a beat. Let me help you," Eric pleaded, placing his other hand on her other shoulder. He forced her to face him, hoping she would look at him and know he meant to help.

"Besides, you can't leave yet, it's your turn," remarked Eric, hoping to at least get a little smirk out of her.
 
She was so lost in her own thoughts, her own misery that she didn't hear him running after her. She gasped as he pulled her round; by his roughness she knew he was angry, but she didn't care. She met his gaze briefly then averted her head not even trying to pull away and she hated him for making her cry.

"Maxine, look, don't do this.

It wasn't what she expected to hear.

"You are beautiful, I can't explain it, but for some reason, I feel like I can't let you down. I saw you when I took your hood off, and my heart skipped a beat. Let me help you,"

She tried to pull away from him and his crazy words, but he wouldn't let her and given his superior stature and strength he easily turned her round to face him.
And what she saw in his expression scared her more than all the threats and taunts put together.

"Besides, you can't leave yet, it's your turn,"

She was past humour and felt totally broken.

"Just leave me alone... "

She begged him, her actions belying her words as she leaned forward exhaustedly and sobbed against his chest ...
 
As Max began sobbing against his chest, Eric wrapped her up in his arms. Being so tall, he was able to totally wrap his arms around her. He held her gently, letting her get her emotions out. He had a feeling it had been some time since she had been able to get anything out.

"You're safe, Max... It's ok, if you will let yourself be ok," Eric spoke softly into her hood. He held her tenderly, almost cradling her.

How about we try this again... "Max, is there anything I can do for you?" He softly caressed her back as he held her, feeling her body shudder as the tears flowed.
 
His arms were around her, holding her and it had been so long since she'd just been held that it didn't help her regain control.

"You're safe, Max... It's ok, if you will let yourself be ok,"

She didn't feel safe, she felt exposed and out of control.

"Max, is there anything I can do for you?"

She shook her head feeling his hand moving lightly over her back.

"I .. I can't do this anymore .. "

She managed to tell him brokenly.

She knew she had to pull way, put distance between them somehow throw that wall up around her again, but right now her defences were in shreds and it was that she found impossible to cope with.
 
"I .. I can't do this anymore .. "

Then don't do it anymore. Let's start here... you didn't eat much, so how about we get something to eat. I know a good chinese take out place, we can eat in my car, or my place, or anywhere you choose." At the very least, let's get you fed. I am in a position where I can help you, Max... you just have to let me," Eric spoke softly, holding her close, feeling her breathing as she calmed a bit.

"You deserve better, Max," Eric said into her hood.
 
"Then don't do it anymore. Let's start here... you didn't eat much, so how about we get something to eat. I know a good chinese take out place, we can eat in my car, or my place, or anywhere you choose. At the very least, let's get you fed.
I am in a position where I can help you, Max... you just have to let me,"


She listened to his words. It was so tempting just to let go and let him help her.
But she couldn't do that, could she?

"You deserve better, Max."

He told her softly, but she shook her head mutely unable to formulate an argument against his statement, but disagreeing nonetheless. Finally she eased back from him, hands rubbing ineffectually at her eyes as she tried to regain composure.

"I'm not hungry anymore."

She told him.

"Can I .. can I just have a coffee and then .. "

She shrugged, ... and then she'd be on her way.

"I'll be fine ... "

She told him, lifting her eyes to his finally.

"I always am ... "
 
"Coffee it is then my dear," Eric said. "Do you want to walk or shall we drive?" he meant it as he asked. He would walk with her if that's what she wanted.

Stepping to the side, Eric allowed Max the freedom to choose. "Your wish is my pleasure."
 
"Coffee it is then my dear. Do you want to walk or shall we drive?"

She hesitated glancing around before she answered.

"... drive is fine .. "

She told him.

"Your wish is my pleasure."

She retraced her steps to his car and got back into the passenger seat.
She bit back a sigh as he turned on the engine and pulled away, her hood still firmly in place as she glanced across at the man, Eric, she recalled beside her.

"Anywhere close, takeaway, drive in, it doesn't matter... "

She told him thinking it would be easier than being in some smart coffee shop.
 
Looking around as he drove for a coffee shop, Eric pulled into a McDonalds. Not the best coffee in the world, but he could do worse... and he was certain Max wouldn't want to go sit and have a cup somewhere public. As he pulled in, he asked "This be ok? Anything else you would like?"

Eric was still nervous, and confused. He had never really had the chance to hang out with many girls... and certainly not any as beautiful as Max. Even with the built up look of having been on the streets, he could tell, she was stunning. How she ended up here was obviously traumatic, and he had learned from his earlier mistake. He wouldn't push too hard to know they whys...

"I guess some things are meant to be a mystery," he muttered to himself. "Max, I am sorry about being so pushy at Chilis... I know your element and mine are very different, but I am way out of my element here as well."
 
"This be ok? Anything else you would like?"

She turned in his direction and gave a tremulous smile.

"It's good, thanks. Just coffee, black please Eric."

She told him. It was a while since she'd had a hot drink.

"Max, I am sorry about being so pushy at Chilis... "

She smiled sadly.

"It doesn't matter, forget it."

She told him as he continued.

"I know your element and mine are very different, but I am way out of my element here as well."

She gave a faint smile.

"You said different is good ... "

She told him lightly.

"Besides we're from different worlds. Just 'cos they crossed once, doesn't mean they should meet... natural order of things I guess ... "

She mused.
 
"Besides we're from different worlds. Just 'cos they crossed once, doesn't mean they should meet... natural order of things I guess ... "

"It could also mean that two very different worlds could meet, and the result is a whole new world, where both worlds can actually be comfortable.... Not saying anything, just thinking out loud I guess... rambling I suppose," Eric explained as he paid for the coffees and pulled out of the drive-thru.

Eric looked thought about where they could sit and have their coffee, and maybe talk, maybe just sit, whatever Max wished to do. He steered toward a park with a lake on it. Parking facing the lake, he leaned back, giving her a chance to think, to speak if she wished. He pivoted at a slight angle so he was at least halfway facing her.
 
"It could also mean that two very different worlds could meet, and the result is a whole new world, where both worlds can actually be comfortable....
Not saying anything, just thinking out loud I guess... rambling I suppose,"


Eric explained as he paid for the coffees and pulled out of the drive-thru.

She thought of his idea of a whole new world as he paid for the coffees, but it seemed pure fantasy to her. And what did that mean anyhow, in practice?
She had expected to drink the coffees in the car and was surprised when he drove her to a park the view of the lake before them as they drank their coffees.

"Mmmm ... there comes a time when even Macdonald's tastes good... "

She commented the faintest of smiles tugging at the corners of her lips.
Despite her teasing comment it was obvious she was enjoying the hot beverage.

"This seems like a decent enough place ... "

She commented looking round assessing it's prospects.

"Might be worth checking out ... "

She mused.

"You know they lock these kinda places up at night, but if you know where to go ... "

She halted and shrugged.

"Well, that's my world anyhow ... "
 
"Mmmm ... there comes a time when even Macdonald's tastes good... "
"Not often, but what they lack in quality they more than make up for in convenience," Eric laughed lightly as he said it. Happy her barriers were lessened a bit.

"Well, that's my world anyhow ... "

"Well, it does seem like a decent place... care to show me a sliver of your world Max?" Eric queried. The idea of walking in a park at night beside a lake with her was exciting. He wasn't sure where he wanted anything to go, only that he wanted it to go... Going anywhere is better than her struggling on the streets while I wonder What if.
 
"Well, it does seem like a decent place... care to show me a sliver of your world Max?"

She could see that he didn't get it. He was viewing the part like a tourist, whereas she ...

"I don't think you really want to see my world, Eric."

She told him wearily as she sipped the coffee.

"Parks like this a good places, 'cos for starters not so many people break into them at night. Then for those of us that do, there's usually places to sleep that are sheltered, like under the bandstand, or perhaps under any boats that they don't bother to lock away. Then if you want to usually the kiosks are easy to break into if you want food, or if your conscience plagues you, there are usually places to scavenge something to keep you going."

She continued to drink in silence.

"I doubt you'd want to sleep rough overnight even in a decent place like this?"

She suggested.

"Though having you with me sure would make me feel a lot safer ... "

She caught his eye with a grin.

"No one in their right mind would try to accost you, right?"

She gave him a sweet smile and continued to drink her coffee.
 
"I don't think you really want to see my world, Eric."

"I didn't mean it like that, Max... I'm just saying, if you would like to go check it out, I would be happy to accompany you."

"Though having you with me sure would make me feel a lot safer ... "

Eric blushed a little, grateful for the dim lighting to hide it.

"Max, you don't have to sleep here. Where do you bathe? I could help you get a place to stay, heck, I have a spare room myself... but if it is here you do want to stay, and you would feel safer with me here, I will stay with you Max," Eric stated.. he had started fumbling his words again, then regained his confidence, and was quite sincere in his offer.

"No one in their right mind would try to accost you, right?"

"No one but the boldest of the bold," Eric laughed as he spoke.

Eric took in her smile, admiring the curve of her mouth, the sparkle in her eyes. He smiled back, letting the moment linger for as long as he could.
 
"I didn't mean it like that, Max... I'm just saying, if you would like to go check it out, I would be happy to accompany you."

She nodded acknowledging the offer.

"Max, you don't have to sleep here. Where do you bathe?"

The personal question drew a flush of embarrassment from her.

"I do what I can ... "

She told him, painfully aware of her unkempt appearance without him having to point it out.

"I could help you get a place to stay, heck, I have a spare room myself... but if it is here you do want to stay, and you would feel safer with me here, I will stay with you Max,"

She bit her tongue rather than respond as he responded to her quip.

"No one but the boldest of the bold,"

Their banter gave her courage.

"You don't think I want to sleep rough do you? It's never safe, but that area had gotten ... too hot to handle ..."

She paused as if considering whether to be open with him for the first time.

"The reason I needed money, your money so badly was that I was trying to get away, get somewhere where I could find somewhere safer .. catch a ride somewhere different, get to a hostel or ... I don't know ... "

She put her now empty cup aside.

"You wanted answers to questions, when did I last eat, sleep, wash properly?"

She blushed as she recalled his words.

"I don't know ... and that's not 'cos I'm being difficult, I simply ... simply can't remember ... and ... "

Her eyes welled with tears, but they didn't fall.

"And you know ... I'm so tired, so tired of it all that ... I really don't care anymore ... 'cos it never ends ... and there's just .. no point ... "

She shook her head, she had done everything she could to stay safe, avoid getting attacked, involved in drugs and avoided all but 'essential crime' and where had it gotten her...?
 
"I don't know ... and that's not 'cos I'm being difficult, I simply ... simply can't remember ... and ... "

"Ok, Max, how about you let me take you somewhere you can get a proper bath. I can either rent you a room somewhere, or, if you decide to trust me enough, I can take you to my place. The advantage of my place is we can wash your clothes as well."

"And you know ... I'm so tired, so tired of it all that ... I really don't care anymore ... 'cos it never ends ... and there's just .. no point ... "

"There can be a point, if you would like there to be one, sometimes, folks just need a little boost to get to where they can see the point. Can I give you a boost, Max?" Eric asked gently. The last thing he wanted was to look like he was talking down to her. He knew better, and she didn't deserve it nonetheless. She had a good heart, she struggled to stay as straight as she could while trying to make it on the streets.
 
"Ok, Max, how about you let me take you somewhere you can get a proper bath.
I can either rent you a room somewhere, or, if you decide to trust me enough, I can take you to my place."


She looked at him like he was crazy.

"The advantage of my place is we can wash your clothes as well."

She laughed, the clothes were about dropping off her, apart from the old hooded jacket.

"I'm not that attached to them,"

She murmured, but made no response to his offer.

"There can be a point, if you would like there to be one, sometimes, folks just need a little boost to get to where they can see the point. Can I give you a boost, Max?"

She was tempted, so tempted... maybe if she gave in, just a little ... and after a good night's sleep perhaps she could cope with it all again?

"Maybe a small boost..."

She conceded, hesitantly.

"You asked how you could help ... well ... if you're serious ... "

She turned fully on the bench and locked her eyes on him, ready to run if there was even the slightest thing about this that concerned her.

"... all I want is ... a bath, a new set of clothes - something practical, hardwearing and male, something to eat and just one night's sleep somewhere safe, doesn't even have to be a bed...?"

She really expected him to throw her requests back in her face, to demand some kind of 'payment' for the help he was to give her, but just maybe even with 'conditions', it would be worth it ...
 
"... all I want is ... a bath, a new set of clothes - something practical, hardwearing and male,"

"That can be done, but the sporting goods stores are closed for the night, I would be happy to take you in the morning. Cabela's has some great stuff, durable, just what you're looking for. As for the bath, my previous offer still stands. You are welcome to come to my place to take one, or, like I said, I can rent you a room. I don't even have to stay with you if you don't want, I can always come get you in the morning," Eric explained

"Now, regarding food... we can certainly try that again, I'm starving! What do you want to eat?" Eric asked lightly.
 
"That can be done, but the sporting goods stores are closed for the night, I would be happy to take you in the morning. Cabela's has some great stuff, durable, just what you're looking for. As for the bath, my previous offer still stands. You are welcome to come to my place to take one, or, like I said, I can rent you a room. I don't even have to stay with you if you don't want, I can always come get you in the morning ... Now, regarding food... we can certainly try that again, I'm starving! What do you want to eat?"

He had agreed to her requests! Even his suggestion for clothes seemed perfect.
She hesitated as he laid the possibilities before her.

"It's crazy to rent a room for just one night ... besides ... no one would want someone like me around ... How's about we go to your place, I take a bath and then ... we get something to eat, takeout, or whatever ... "

She told him. Part of her thought it would do him good to wait to eat.
He really had no idea what 'starving' meant ...
 
"It's crazy to rent a room for just one night ... besides ... no one would want someone like me around ... How's about we go to your place, I take a bath and then ... we get something to eat, takeout, or whatever ... "

"Sounds like a plan," Eric commented... obviously excited she had agreed to stick around a while.

He started the car and made his way to the expressway. While driving, he asked, "Max, is there anything you need first, like soap or shampoo or anything? I don't have any girlie stuff really..."

His mind what whirling trying to think of what she may need.
 
Back
Top