Ladies: You are not a princess.

You know, I'd be perfectly happy is Zadie wanted to be a princess- in the actual terms of what a princess was. A political figurehead who was well educated enough to run, if not her country (in patrarchial countries) than at the very least an estate household with several hundred employees, that would serve as ambassador to diplomats and nobles. That's a hard ass job, and women from the ages that most Disney princesses were pulled from would have to be hard ass bitches; I mean, even if they didn't have that job, the face that Ariel didn't die in Melody's childbirth makes her a hardass. My problem isn't that the culture focuses around finding a man (because I don't think it really does. Lots of Disney Princesses don't need no man; Tinkerbell, Mirida, Mulan) but because our culture has somehow turned the term "princess" into a synonym for "spoiled rich bitch". But my kid's not a princess, so she can do her goddamn homework.

that'd be cool if all parents were smart, if all parents recognised the needs to teach their kids those values.

I hate those pop idol/American idol type shows for the same reason. they have kids believing that the best way to make it big is this audition, when the real deal is to work your arse off, get some skills, practice, push, and have some qualifications to fall back on.

...but I also hate Christmas. i'm a self confessed scrooge.
:rose:

I'm not a big fan of what Christmas has become.

But I'm also the mom who hands money to her kids so they can buy things for the homeless kids in our community.

I think it's more the commercializations of things that gets to me.

You know, I'd be perfectly happy is Zadie wanted to be a princess- in the actual terms of what a princess was. A political figurehead who was well educated enough to run, if not her country (in patrarchial countries) than at the very least an estate household with several hundred employees, that would serve as ambassador to diplomats and nobles. That's a hard ass job, and women from the ages that most Disney princesses were pulled from would have to be hard ass bitches; I mean, even if they didn't have that job, the face that Ariel didn't die in Melody's childbirth makes her a hardass. My problem isn't that the culture focuses around finding a man (because I don't think it really does. Lots of Disney Princesses don't need no man; Tinkerbell, Mirida, Mulan) but because our culture has somehow turned the term "princess" into a synonym for "spoiled rich bitch". But my kid's not a princess, so she can do her goddamn homework.

Books like The Hunger Games are thankfully the sort of fiction my girlchild likes.

If you're on Facebook check out a page called A Mighty Girl. They post a book a day about strong females.

it's not about people using cute pet names, it's about women growing up thinking a man is the answer to her problems. kids are raised on a diet of stories, films & merchandise that champion the image of the beautiful, perfect, helpless princess who gets saved from pretty much everything by a prince, at which point the story ends happily ever after.

I didn't have fairy tales or Disney princesses in the house. they're toxic. I did call my daughter princess.

You banned Disney?

Books like The Hunger Games are thankfully the sort of fiction my girlchild likes.

If you're on Facebook check out a page called A Mighty Girl. They post a book a day about strong females.

Well, at this point she's still a fetus, so I am talking out of my ass. I've just had so many of those "princess" little girls in classes and they annoy the shit out of me. Like I said, real princess are fine, hell, Disney Princesses are fine. But these 5-year olds who think that they're better than everyone else just... irk me.

You banned Disney?

I didn't exactly ban it. I just got rid of the tv and bought far more interesting things for my kids to play with & read. I remember the very first dressing up day at school, when every girl in her class was wearing a Disney princess dress but she insisted on going as harry potter. I made the most awesome sorting hat ever.

thing is, those pink hearts & flowers shite have the dullest characters & story lines. kids go nuts for a bit of death & darkness in their fiction, which is why the potter & hunger games books sell so well. why offer the pink shite as the first option?

Neither of my girls would ever dress up as a Disney princess.

No matter how much I pushed. Le sigh.

That ok, I can dress up like one, so all is well.

I didn't exactly ban it. I just got rid of the tv and bought far more interesting things for my kids to play with & read. I remember the very first dressing up day at school, when every girl in her class was wearing a Disney princess dress but she insisted on going as harry potter. I made the most awesome sorting hat ever.

thing is, those pink hearts & flowers shite have the dullest characters & story lines. kids go nuts for a bit of death & darkness in their fiction, which is why the potter & hunger games books sell so well. why offer the pink shite as the first option?

I was going to ask how you taught them to completely shatter the human heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtJn-L5xEs

See... I always wanted to be a princess. Not even really a princess, a mermaid. But yeah, I never even brought that shit up. I'm not stupid.

I call my oldest Princess, she doesn't take it as helpless or pampered. She is kind and polite to everyone she meets, her heart is for civil service and always has been. Her goal is to eradicate childhood hunger in our community, she is smart, she is beautiful, she is sweet. I don't mind the princess label because I PARENT my child.

It's a shame when we have to focus on a label instead of the child.

:heart:

berry bushes in the parks and fruit trees all over public properties. ;)

my daughter told me the other day, "i am not a princess, i am a queen!"

to that i thought, oh, fuck.

meh. it was lame.

Then you have no emotions. That's like the most powerful death in all of cinematic history. Literally. There was an award, and that scene won it. They brought in psychiatrists when it was being storyborded and everything. The way that Simba rubs against him is the way that actual lions (the animators went to study actual lions) rub against their sleeping parents to wake them up. That was actually foreshadowed earlier in the movie when Simba uses the same motions to wake him up when he's actually sleeping. It's not just a baby losing his father it's a kitten.

seriously? it's a cartoon cat getting squished by a gnu.

You know, this spoiled brat thing might not be so bad if Disney didn't try to 'child friendly' up all the fairytales. If Ariel tried to steal Erik's soul rather than trying to fuck him, if Aurora was raped and Flynn got his eyes ripped out, maybe these kids would know that princesses have seen some shit.

How is it cliche? Where else is it used except for Kimba? (Though I'm sure Disney would deny that).

dad? dad? *vom*

loving parent dies heroically, kid is left all alone *boohoo*
the obvious attempts to tweak emotions are irritating.

dad? dad? *vom*

loving parent dies heroically, kid is left all alone *boohoo*
the obvious attempts to tweak emotions are irritating.

He's actually not alone. Sarabi is actually really badass and her badassness is brought to attention throughout the movie. She alone stands up to Scar and keeps her head high as the Hyenas bite at her heels. Simba would have gotten the throne if he had stayed with Sarabi. He was supposed to die in the stampede as well, but because he didn't, Scar is forced to send out a pack of hyenas led by Whoopie Goldberg to kill him instead. Have you not seen Lion King? They don't kill him because he falls into a big field of thorns and they won't go in after him, so he's raised by a gay interspieces couple.

Lion King is one of the less princess-y Disney movies tho, I guess. Nala is a Disney Princess, she's a Princess of Heart and everything, but you rarely see her on merch or anything. I guess because she's not human or humanoid.

of course I've not watched it. i'm allergic to that overly sentimentalised shite.

Back