The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always warm and sunny in this thread ;)

Good to know. I just might have to move in!

VM, I'll echo TX's question wondering why you need to replace the computer. Of course, nine years is old for tech.... As a stopgap measure between overloading the desktop and getting my laptop, we went out and bought an external harddrive, which I use to store all my pictures, stories and my thesis.

You're both brave men for tweaking the tails of the LW trolls. For now, I'll stick with EC, E/V and Romance. ;)

A bump to pop Anna out of that floating wall.

They really need to fix this thing before we actually lose someone. :eek:

Good to know. I just might have to move in!

VM, I'll echo TX's question wondering why you need to replace the computer. Of course, nine years is old for tech.... As a stopgap measure between overloading the desktop and getting my laptop, we went out and bought an external harddrive, which I use to store all my pictures, stories and my thesis.

You're both brave men for tweaking the tails of the LW trolls. For now, I'll stick with EC, E/V and Romance. ;)

Nine years isn't old in tech, it's ancient. Last year is old.

A bump to pop Anna out of that floating wall.

They really need to fix this thing before we actually lose someone. :eek:
I got bumped and didn't know it? Man, I miss out on all the fun! :pout:

Nine years isn't old in tech, it's ancient. Last year is old.
Yeah, that's what a tech buddy of mine tells me all the time. "If it still works, it's not too old," is my philosophy. Then again, my reluctance to use half the toys on my newish cell phone amuses him in a twisted way.

I do have an idea, but I've seen it before and so I'm trying to come with a new twist.

After all, being stuck at home in a snowstorm has been done a lot and needs a new twist or two.

At least I got rid of my bottles to the depot and got some cash for karaoke tomorrow night (Why go when I can't afford a drink?).

Why? It was slowing down. Some sites/servers would take "forever" do connect or finish the connection. If I tried to run more than one thing at a time, the second one would flicker obnoxiously. Plus, my son and DIL gave me Civilization IV for Christmas in '11 and the blamed machine wouldn't run it! It didn't have the capacity to manage the game. So when the infernal printer finally broke down (to HM's vast annoyance) she up and decided that after telling me for the last three years that we didn't need a new machine, this was wasn't that old, it still worked . . ., she reached into her personal funds and bought a whole new rig. Watch me complain . . . ;)

Why? It was slowing down. Some sites/servers would take "forever" do connect or finish the connection. If I tried to run more than one thing at a time, the second one would flicker obnoxiously. Plus, my son and DIL gave me Civilization IV for Christmas in '11 and the blamed machine wouldn't run it! It didn't have the capacity to manage the game. So when the infernal printer finally broke down (to HM's vast annoyance) she up and decided that after telling me for the last three years that we didn't need a new machine, this was wasn't that old, it still worked . . ., she reached into her personal funds and bought a whole new rig. Watch me complain . . . ;)
Sounds like you could use a new rig.

I know I could as this one is 6 years old now. Way out dated with a Pentium D 930, 2GB of RAM, 300GB hard drive, GeForce 7300LE videocard; all in a HP custom case. Custom cases are the worst, as you can't upgrade worth $***!

I don't even want to think about how old my PC is. It has an Athlon dual CPU running at 3GHz and 2GB Ram running XP. The only thing I've had to do is fit a new Hard Drive (and that took some effort).
But as with all things, I suspect maintenance is the only solution. If a PC starts running slow, it often needs a just a bit of a clean up.
Printers, on the other hand, are another matter.

Glass of something, anyone ?

Glass of red wine please.

I'm running XP as well, Linux was useless for uploading files to my server so that I could set up websites.

*sigh* Why is is I always miss the interesting stuff when I'm at work? :(

I build all my systems from scratch. Usually do a full replacement of my desktop every four years or so with upgrades in between. My last big build was in 2011. It's designed as a mid to high end gaming rig.

My current specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 1 TB & 640 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550ti
Monitor: ASUS 23" widescreen & Scepture 20.1" widescreen (secondary)
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers: Logitech 2.1
Keyboard: LiteOn wireless & Nostromo n52 Speedpad
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
Operation System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

I would love a glass of wine to ease the tensions of election night.

I'm with you on election night tensions, john. I'm originally from your neck of the woods and still vote there. I'm very curious about our own results.

Of course, I downed several glasses of wine with friends after we finished a quick line rehearsal. :)

I'm with you on election night tensions, john. I'm originally from your neck of the woods and still vote there. I'm very curious about our own results.

Of course, I downed several glasses of wine with friends after we finished a quick line rehearsal. :)

Well, Obama won Washington State (not surprisingly). As of now; Jay Inslee is leading Rob McKenna for Governor 51%-49%, approval of R-74 (Gay marriage) is leading 52%-48%, and I-502 (marijuana legalization) has passed.

Where about were you from, annanova?

Last edited:
Well, Obama won Washington State (not surprisingly). As of now; Jay Inslee is leading Rob McKenna for Governor 51%-49%, approval of R-74 (Gay marriage) is leading 52%-48%, and I-502 (marijuana legalization) has passed.

Where about were you from, annanova?

I've lived in every corner of the state. Without getting too specific, I did most of my growing up a wee bit south of that picture you have.

John, you call that rig mid to high end?

Intel's been kicking AMD's behind in processor performance for a long while now!

Add to the fact that there was 2 TB drives available last year...

Did you do any research before you built that rig?

John, you call that rig mid to high end?

Intel's been kicking AMD's behind in processor performance for a long while now!

Add to the fact that there was 2 TB drives available last year...

Did you do any research before you built that rig?

MID-to high end, (as in somewhere in between), and also built on a tight budget. I have nothing against Intel, except they are a hell of a lot more expensive than AMD. Also, I have used AMD processors since 2002 in my rigs with no problems. This rig was built in February 2011, 2tb drives were available but outside of my budget. My research was on getting the best bang for my buck and the upgrade itself was less than $800 for a rig that can run Skyrim with the settings maxed out. It's not a beast, but it more than gets the job done.

*Makes droll, skeptical expression* Well, being much older, I just go to Best Buy and get a package. Our budget isn't that tight and my time is valuable enough that I don't want to 'waste' it learning how to build what I can but.

*Makes droll, skeptical expression* Well, being much older, I just go to Best Buy and get a package. Our budget isn't that tight and my time is valuable enough that I don't want to 'waste' it learning how to build what I can but.

Were it not for my interest in the subject, I'd lean in that direction myself.

MID-to high end, (as in somewhere in between), and also built on a tight budget. I have nothing against Intel, except they are a hell of a lot more expensive than AMD. Also, I have used AMD processors since 2002 in my rigs with no problems. This rig was built in February 2011, 2tb drives were available but outside of my budget. My research was on getting the best bang for my buck and the upgrade itself was less than $800 for a rig that can run Skyrim with the settings maxed out. It's not a beast, but it more than gets the job done.
*puzzled look* Wow, if it wasn't for the fact that I know better, I'd start wondering if you'd done something to "Brad."

Were it not for my interest in the subject, I'd lean in that direction myself.
I'm more than happy with just being able to store my stories, pictures and theatre stuff.

Building your own computer teaches you how everything works and how everything works together.

Back in the day when computers were sky high and the technology advanced daily, building your own was the only affordable way to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back