Two rejected chapters

MetaBob

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 13, 2018
Posts
3,087
I have a long piece divided into 3 "books", with the 3rd not yet finished. Books 1 & 2 are each about 40K words, with Book 3 at 60K (and counting). Chapters 2-6 of Book 2 have already been approved and published here, though their numbering is off because the Approver believed (incorrectly) that chapter 1 of Book 1 and chapter 2 of Book 2 were consecutive and thus improperly labeled. I can live with the renumbering since I can always call what should be chapter 1 of Book 2 a Prologue instead, when I get 'round to submitting it.

Chapter 1 of Book 1 and part of chapter 2 (proactively renumbered as chapter 1) of Book 3 have also already been approved and published here. So, about those two rejected chapters:

Chapter 7 of Book 2 (numbered here as chapter 6) was rejected because it contains one or more long paragraphs, the longest of which is 675 words. It is a somewhat stream-of-consciousness chapter, told from the perspective of someone in a deep trance for much of it. The long paragraph(s) (and run-on sentences) are therefore purposeful and upon review I'm not inclined to change this, but if someone in an editing capacity here wants to take a swing, I'm more than happy to listen to suggestions.

XXXXXX Any post or PM made with the intent of promoting another site or a product will be removed. Spam is strictly forbidden.

(the linked version actually uses column formatting, albeit the timing isn't correct, but I give them a lot of credit for trying when they said they wouldn't) was rejected here because it would ideally be published with a short section including column formatting, albeit not actually requiring columns, something I noted as part of the submission process. The two columns indicate two carefully timed simultaneous trains of perception and I think they work well when presented correctly, and again, I'm not inclined to change this but am more than happy to consider suggestions.

Both chapters rejected here have already been approved and published separately and I expect to make them available through one or more other additional channels, so if they aren't available here, it won't break my heart -- in that case I would simply skip those chapters here. If that means this site's Approver(s) would not approve more of my chapters to be published here, then all I have left to submit here is Prologues, alas. Note that I submitted a condensed version of this note to an identified Volunteer Editor here last week but have not heard back -- I want to follow the site's defined process as far as it allows me to go.

Any thoughts you might have, collectively or individually, would be appreciated. Here's a link to my stuff already published here.
-MɛtaBob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Resubmit the rejected chapters with your post in the Note to Editor box. If Laurel sees what you're trying to do, she might let it pass.

Or, she'll stand like a balrog on a bridge, "you shall not pass!"

It's worth a try, especially since it's been published once already (if I read your post correctly).
 
Thank you, electricblue66

I'll try it but with no expectation of success. Last year the

LINK REMOVED BY MOD PER GUIDELINES

Any post or PM made with the intent of promoting another site or a product will be removed. Spam is strictly forbidden.



did indeed publish both chapters rejected here. Two months ago I requested that they be removed, and I'm slowly posting revisions of much of the same stuff again there now at about the same pace I'm doing so here, though sometimes one gets ahead of the other, which is why one of those two chapters hasn't yet reappeared there. Tomorrow I'll submit the other chapter there that was rejected here, which should get republished Saturday. It would be nice if both appeared in both places.

FWIW, I'm reading one of your pieces right now: Tied Up By A Mistress And Her Maid, and I like it very much. "Give yourself up to the kindness of women" indeed :catgrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a piece of my mind: no matter what psychological state the character is in, it's no excuse to subject the reader to a 700-long paragraph.

It's the same with other things. Like trying to mimic someone having a speech defect like shlurping all the wordsh, etc. Or mimicking deep accent.
Things like that may work sometimes to make a point, but when said character says more than a couple lines of text it becomes an annoyance to the reader.

As an author, your target audience is the reader. Entertain them and try to cause as little trouble to them as possible. Don't make your book a torture just because you have an artistic stroke of inspiration.
Long paragraphs or sentences can make books completely unreadable.
 
Thanks again electricblue66

I resubmitted one of the rejected chapters a few minutes ago with a link to this thread. Again, I have no expectation of success, but I'm happy to comply with the defined process.
 
Re-rejected

While the chapter I re-submitted with a more specific note to the Approver was also rejected, the reason for rejection was revised. I edited the problematic part of the chapter to comply and resubmitted it. We'll see how that flies. I will leave off resubmitting the other rejected chapter for the moment.
 
Last edited:
Posted!

Thanks again to electricblue66 for the recommendation, one of my two rejected chapters has now been posted! I think I'll hold off on the other at least for the moment ... next up will be the chapter following it. In the meantime, the delay in posting here means that almost everything I've published here has already been republished elsewhere. I may put up a homepage, too.
 
How do I correct my chapter synopsis?

My other previously rejected chapter was published today after I followed elecricblue66's recommendation again, but it has a typo in the synopsis. I'm guessing it's my fault but either way it's ... glaring. I sent a PM to Laurel about it a couple hours ago but haven't received a reply. Is there a recommended path to facilitate fixing this?

My stuff
 
My other previously rejected chapter was published today after I followed elecricblue66's recommendation again, but it has a typo in the synopsis. I'm guessing it's my fault but either way it's ... glaring. I sent a PM to Laurel about it a couple hours ago but haven't received a reply. Is there a recommended path to facilitate fixing this?

My stuff
The only guaranteed way of getting it on her radar is to resubmit (again). A PM might work, but no guarantee. Regardless, if you want it fixed, it'll be one week plus.

Or, live with it, as punishment for not getting it right the first time :).
 
Faq: Edited

I looked through the FAQ to find the suggested procedure, which is to resubmit the story with the word 'EDITED' in its title. There's only the one word in the Short Description field to change, which I'm now guessing got changed from what I typed in by someone's auto-spellcheck, either mine or the site's.

I despise auto-spellcheck.

We'll see how long it takes ... in any case, thanks very much for staying with me on this. I'll probably submit a couple more chapters in quick succession assuming this one gets (re)approved, neither of which should have issues, or at least not the same issues as these last two. Both are already published elsewhere.

By the way, I'm noticing a bunch of 1-star reviews getting posted to my more recent chapters, which I'm guessing accompany situations in which a female martial artist physically clobbers a man. I'm guessing that's par for the course here ...
 
By the way, I'm noticing a bunch of 1-star reviews getting posted to my more recent chapters, which I'm guessing accompany situations in which a female martial artist physically clobbers a man. I'm guessing that's par for the course here ...
One-bombers just doing their thing, or your story's junk :).

Mind Control isn't my cup of tea, so no aspersions made. But one thing for sure, here on Lit, if your story is very good or very bad, your score and comments mix will let you know. If you're right in the middle of the bell curve, wait for at least a month before you get excited about how well the story really went, because you'll likely be deafened by the silence. I don't know how your other platform worked, but that tends to be how it works around here.
 
Edited chapter got fixed

It was just the one typo in the chapter's short description, took less than 3 days since I noticed it and PM'ed Laurel (half an hour after it was published) and less than two days since I followed the FAQ's process recommendation. Maybe it took less time than expected because there was so little to change.

Yeah, I filed everything as Mind Control, and the first book ("Were-Tigress") definitely has elements that are involuntary for the male protagonist. Various chapters of the second book ("Cascade Fire") could probably have been classified many other ways, perhaps most notably in Erotic Couplings, with the Mind Control elements being fun for everyone, almost always consensual, even voluntary and requested as in Ch 03 or in the teaser for "Crossings". It's not like anything I've seen here or elsewhere, which is kinda why I wrote it in the first place.

I'm going to abandon this thread since both rejected chapters have now been resubmitted and accepted (and in one case, corrected). My guess is another chapter of Were-Tigress will get published here tomorrow, with another for Cascade Fire coming by the weekend. I'll consider classifying the latter as an Erotic Coupling, but both are completely consensual from within a loving relationship.

Many thanks for your help!
-MɛtaBob
 
Last edited:
Back
Top