Working with an Editor or Editing 101

Will be thinking of you!

Will be thinking of you Lady V! Hope you begin feeling better very soon. :rose:

BTW thank you the HEA forum discussion, found it very interesting.

Take care of yourself lady, and come back to us very soon! :kiss:

Killian
DFWBeast

Will be thinking of you Lady V! Hope you begin feeling better very soon. :rose:

BTW thank you the HEA forum discussion, found it very interesting.

Take care of yourself lady, and come back to us very soon! :kiss:

Killian
DFWBeast

:rose:

Thank you!

I'm wondering about my VE profile. I disabled it about six months ago, but two days ago, I received an editing request from an author via the VE program, the first since my profile was disabled. So, I went to my VE profile, and it was enabled. I disabled it, again.

Way back when an editor suggested I learn to edit my stuff. So most days I learn something new about writing, and apply it. Lately its how James Ellroy transitions scenes and chapters. The constant challenge is correct word usage.

Like the other day I caught a Super Brainiac fuck up MEMORY. The word has multiple meanings, but the lecture is about how one of the meanings is myth tho evidence of experience is memory. The immense crater in Arizona is the memory of a meteor collision, while my recollection of my prom isn't memory. So the Super Brainiac says memory is myth, and says memory is essential for consciousness. He speaks of different meanings and befuddles many. A fossil is very different from your sweethearts smile of 50 years ago.

Way back when an editor suggested I learn to edit my stuff. So most days I learn something new about writing, and apply it. Lately its how James Ellroy transitions scenes and chapters. The constant challenge is correct word usage.

Like the other day I caught a Super Brainiac fuck up MEMORY. The word has multiple meanings, but the lecture is about how one of the meanings is myth tho evidence of experience is memory. The immense crater in Arizona is the memory of a meteor collision, while my recollection of my prom isn't memory. So the Super Brainiac says memory is myth, and says memory is essential for consciousness. He speaks of different meanings and befuddles many. A fossil is very different from your sweethearts smile of 50 years ago.

Let us know if an English translation becomes available for this--plus maybe an explanation on how it relates to this thread.

:kiss:

What did I miss? How did I end up being the Most Helpful Editor for 2015? Am I being scammed?

As I said a few posts down, I disabled my VE profile again. I just received another VE request via the VE program.

@Laurel: Feedback?

When working with an editor, it is important that the writer not delete all the editor's comments in MS Word Track Changes. It's also important that the questions the editor asked in the comments be answered.

Tag: Today's experience with an editing project

Ok, Here is my two penny'th. I think it is important for some sort of relationship to develop between Author and Editor. Yes, arguing the point with the editor when you think you are right, but doing so with mutual respect. I have, in the past sent back revised stories for editorial comment and been pleased with the result. I have also scrapped stories because they were beyond redemption. Sadly since JuicyStarchild stopped editing, I've not found anyone who has remained active (as an editor) long enough to establish that mutual understanding. I've resorted to self-editing and I think the work is the poorer because of it.

I don't think that a relationship need exist between author and editor here on Literotica. In most case the editor isn't really an editor (no training) and is really a second set of eyes, limited by whatever editorial training/experience they actually have (with a second pair of eyes still be a valuable service). Nor is the author being a professional writer when writing for free read at an open Web site. There's little need for toing and froing and, in contrast to the mainstream publishing world, all of the final decision making is in the hands of the author--the author is the one with it last who has full control over what is going to be in it. The author is the one who submits it. That's not the way it is otherwise in the publishing world. All an "editor" here need do is go through it a couple of times, providing whatever insight and help they can, and then it's up to the author to accept, reject, or ask further about. This doesn't require the author-editor relationship you would see in general publishing.

Disclaimer; I'm not an editor. I'm not even much of an author.

Editors are teachers, whether they intend to be or not. Authors from Asimov to Zelazny have stated that they learned from the suggestions of their editors. Their editors changes and comments helped them learn to develop better plots as well as to construct better stories.

Someone suggested that authors should never edit their own work. I'm not sure if that's an absolute. I've seen some good writing from people who did not use an editor, so a talented person might be the exception to the rule.

timmy

Someone suggested that authors should never edit their own work. I'm not sure if that's an absolute. I've seen some good writing from people who did not use an editor, so a talented person might be the exception to the rule.

timmy

It's sort of an upside down issue with authors not editing their own work. They can be great at the technicals and not make a lot of grammatical or structure mistakes, but inevitably, because they are too close to the work and their mind consistently sees what it intended to write rather than what is really there, they will leave small, but glaring mistakes in their own work. For Lit., though, which isn't the New Yorker, many authors can, indeed, review their own work effectively enough to post here. It's always good, though, to have that additional set of fresh eyes reviewing it.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I don't see anything I disagree with. I appreciate Pilot's input, and understand where DYK is coming from.

:rose:

I had an author send me his story for editing. I downloaded and printed out the story. After two pages I sent an email to the author telling him he needed to go through all his dialogue and capitalize the first letter of the first word. His punctuation was almost non-existent. I told him once he corrected at least the dialogue, return the story to me and I would go over his story. I haven't heard from him since.

I had an author send me his story for editing. I downloaded and printed out the story. After two pages I sent an email to the author telling him he needed to go through all his dialogue and capitalize the first letter of the first word. His punctuation was almost non-existent. I told him once he corrected at least the dialogue, return the story to me and I would go over his story. I haven't heard from him since.

You could still hear from him. I probably would have done what you did, though. Like you, I want an editing project as editor-ready as possible, especially since I work full time.

Then you both must have some good stories. :)

All the different pretty colored marks next to my stories might be evidence mine are "good enough." There would have to be some other gauge for JBJ's scribbles, I guess. I know, he could point to some dead author he mimics as "proof" of his own greatness as a writer.

Last edited:
All the different pretty colored marks next to my stories might be evidence mine are "good enough." There would have to be some other gauge for JBJ's scribbles, I guess. I know, he could point to some dead author he mimics as "proof" of his own greatness as a writer.

I think you're both good writers. I'd like to edit for both of you, but we'd all end up going bonkers. :)

I think you're both good writers. I'd like to edit for both of you, but we'd all end up going bonkers. :)

I have an editor. I suspect JBJ doesn't--and wouldn't accept the edits, if he did.

I've always posted that he's a good writer too. Storytelling and technical expertise are two different animals, though. He's probably a naturally good storyteller (god knows he makes stuff up at the drop of a hat), but he's full of himself for no particular reason on the technicals.

I have an editor. I suspect JBJ doesn't--and wouldn't accept the edits, if he did.

I've always posted that he's a good writer too. Storytelling and technical expertise are two different animals, though. He's probably a naturally good storyteller (god knows he makes stuff up at the drop of a hat), but he's full of himself for no particular reason on the technicals.

I believe everyone at some point is full of themselves.

Regarding volunteer editing, I plan on taking a big break. Working full time makes it difficult to edit much. I have one pending project, then I'm not accepting any more requests. My VE profile seems to be staying disabled, which is a good thing.

I believe everyone at some point is full of themselves.

Yes, but some don't see it and even when they do they don't see the humor in it. They tend to go all curmudgeon and hateful on those around them, trying to pull others down rather than themselves up.

Yes, but some don't see it and even when they do they don't see the humor in it. They tend to go all curmudgeon and hateful on those around them, trying to pull others down rather than themselves up.

Truth.

Back