Car troubles

North Carolina is the same. The pickup will not pass inspection w/ check engine light on. I'll know Wed. They said I would have to drive it for 50 miles or more. Is there some way to internally check the odometer, if the visible mile counter works...but not well?

I have a general question
I get annoyed at certain warnings that appear on my instrument panel especially now since it's winter. I love the one that tells me it's low temperature/cold outside. Can the dealer turn these off??

L:rose:

I have a general question
I get annoyed at certain warnings that appear on my instrument panel especially now since it's winter. I love the one that tells me it's low temperature/cold outside. Can the dealer turn these off??

Ah Leigh... Enjoyed the story several years ago from you and Ron. And it's great to see your health issue seems a past problem.

Anyway, that light isn't about the outside temperature, it's about the engine.

What it's really saying is, "wait a bit for the heater to start really putting out".

When the light goes out, then engine has reached a good operating temperature and has heat to spare for the cabin.

There's another light for when the engine get too hot. If it goes on, turn the engine off as soon as you can safely do so. After it's been on a couple of minutes, damage will occur.

PS: If you still have the book that came with the car, there is a picture of all the lights on the instrument panel and explanations for each.

Last edited:
Ah Leigh... Enjoyed the story several years ago from you and Ron. And it's great to see your health issue seems a past problem.

Anyway, that light isn't about the outside temperature, it's about the engine.

What it's really saying is, "wait a bit for the heater to start really putting out".

When the light goes out, then engine has reached a good operating temperature and has heat to spare for the cabin.

There's another light for when the engine get too hot. If it goes on, turn the engine off as soon as you can safely do so. After it's been on a couple of minutes, damage will occur.

PS: If you still have the book that came with the car, there is a picture of all the lights on the instrument panel and explanations for each.

Thank you, my health is back on track finally.
I know what you mean with what you're saying but it keeps coming on constantly after the vehicle is warmed up. I can be driving for an hour & it still keeps coming on. I have to keep hitting the controls on the steering wheel to take me back to the original panel. It's a 2016 Jaguar F-Pace Prestige if that makes a difference.
I'd also like to have the automatic door locks removed. Not sure if that can or if it's a computer chip thing

Should have known you'd be driving a high-end vehicle!

IF I were you, I'd get my phone and take a couple of pictures of the display when it's normal, then after it suddenly flips to the unexpected warning.

I would also note what was happening around me, like... did I just get on the freeway, had I recently filled the gas tank, what was the outside temperature, how long had I been driving, those trivial clues that Sherlock uses for his great deductions.

Then I'd upload the pics (I hate doing serious work using my phone's browser) and do a bit of google-ing. I'd especially look at http://www.fpaceforum.com/ and http://www.jaguarforum.com/.

If I didn't quickly find anything, then I'd register on one of the forums and start a topic with my photos. I'd expect a quick answer, but if I didn't get anything after a couple of days (give them time!) I would do the same in the other forum.

It's in the computer/chip so I've been told, all of them do it not just mine. When I take it in for the next service/oil change I'll see what they say

Thank you, my health is back on track finally.
{snip}
I'd also like to have the automatic door locks removed. Not sure if that can or if it's a computer chip thing

Missed that second one.

Disabling the passive locking feature (I assume that's the one that's bothering you) can be done by the dealer (according to the owner's manual).

Someone on one of the forums may have instructions for doing it yourself, but it probably takes a smart phone and OBD2 plugin. Or it might just be a "secret hand shake" like turn the lights on, play "O Canada" by honking the horn 3 times, open the doors in reverse order, etc. etc. (Some of the sequences are downright weird!) :D

Don't know your pain threshold for paying the dealer for some trivial button pushing :(

This old widow is a HAPPY camper. Pickup passed inspection with flying colors, tags are on, and now I can go to the dump.
A very kind gentleman pm'd me with a suggestion I replace the negative battery cable, since dis-connecting did not clear the codes. A very big thank you Sir for your most helpful advise. That seemed to be the problem/ and fix.
Thank you everyone here that chipped in with advise. I appreciate your willingness to help. The HAPPY Old Widow.

T.O.W. if that solved your problem it means the battery cable developed a resistance that should have confused the charging system but it apparently confused the onboard computer and it generated an error important enough for you to receive a red light. That sequence is new to me.

...I know what you mean with what you're saying but it keeps coming on constantly after the vehicle is warmed up. I can be driving for an hour & it still keeps coming on. ...

That problem sounds like a heavy duty radiator for a warm climate in a cold snap. I could just be telling you that the thermostat in the radiator is closed, or it could be a direct reading of engine block temperature. Either way, the solution could be as simple as taping a piece of cardboard to your radiator to reduce airflow when the ambient temperature is low.

A new thermostat or temperature sensor might be needed if the problem persists.

Back