How to make it so the MC describing something is understandable.

Kirbyman01

Virgin
Joined
Aug 20, 2016
Posts
11
First off, I looked around and from what I saw I couldn't find something like this topic so I apologize if this already exists.

One issue I find myself having when writing is explaining how the main character knows certain things they otherwise wouldn't in context. Like them perfectly describing breast size or penis length, to also things like clothing and such.
 
Try posting this in the Author's Hangout where there are people who are more likely to have good suggestions.

As for "perfectly describing breast size or penis length" -- don't.
 
Clothing or background visuals are done as a descriptive narrative - "She walked down the hallway, past the wall sconces holding unlit candles..." Or; "Chloe held the red sheath dress in front of her body to see how it looked in the mirror. She liked the way the sequins sparkled though the hem at the bottom barely made it to her knees."

Body parts are just descriptive but stay away from exact measurements or inference of measurements. "His hands felt very warm to her." vs "She thought his hands were a full degree hotter than normal."
 
One issue I find myself having when writing is explaining how the main character knows certain things they otherwise wouldn't in context. Like them perfectly describing breast size or penis length, to also things like clothing and such.

Short answer: you don't. For bra size, you might get away with comparing what they're seeing to what they've seen before: "Her tits looked to be the size to wear a 34-C, like my ex-wife's did."

As for penis size, well, unless they're seeing the guy's wang through his clothing, there's no easy way to tell, is there? Save it for when he drops his shorts. (And even then, keep it general, unless they're going to whip out a ruler at some point.)

Clothes are easier, if you're simply describing what they're seeing. But unless the MC is really up on that sort of thing, stay away from describing them by designer labels and like that. But you could say that she dressed in the style of some celebrity reference point that the reader could relate to.
 
I tend to try and avoid describing things using sizes, not just because my narrators might not be familiar with the sizings of various things, but because many readers are unlikely to be either. I prefer to use comparisons for sizes and similar descriptions instead.

Put another way, not everyone knows what 34C breasts look like, but most people can call to mind the size of a honeydew melon.
 
Put another way, not everyone knows what 34C breasts look like, but most people can call to mind the size of a honeydew melon.

The Honey Dew melons in the market across the street more closely resemble F or G cups. :p
 
First off, I looked around and from what I saw I couldn't find something like this topic so I apologize if this already exists.

One issue I find myself having when writing is explaining how the main character knows certain things they otherwise wouldn't in context. Like them perfectly describing breast size or penis length, to also things like clothing and such.


I read Fan fiction a lot and I understand where you are coming from!

I, am not a good or even fair writer believe me but I have the urge to rewrite a few paragraphs in some stories just so they make sense! If one does not know the terminology needed...LOOK it up or ask someone!
 
Isn't it odd how so many women in these stories have bra sizes like 38DD and up? You could try to make it a little more realistic. Average bra size is now supposedly 36C, up from 34B when I was a college girl. Part of the increase is breast augmentation surgery, which even as a 34A girl, I don't get.

I suggest for body descriptions, look at a picture, or the real thing and describe what you see. Women are going to be more descriptive about clothing than men, in general, although I think men love to go into detailed descriptions of lingerie, especially panties. Speaking of panties, not as many women wear thongs as depicted in stories. 33 percent of women like bikini style underwear the most, obviously, it's super comfy and can still look cute. 22 percent like briefs, 19 percent like thongs best and 17 percent prefer boy shorts. A tiny 4 percent like other styles.
 
A lot have already said not to be too specific, which I agree with. Just wanted to add the reason I don't do it --> It limits the number of readers who will find your character appealing. Best to let them fill in the details in their minds...they will do a much better job than you can on the details.

Just as an example; If I were reading along in a story then found out the "beautiful girl" had 38DD breasts....I'd be done since I don't find that all that attractive personally ;)
 
Back
Top