Free association thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldwing
I wanted a Lawmaster more than anything else in the world when I was 13. Then puberty kicked in, and my perspective shifted... :D

Thank you, fellow geeks. :)

Vincent Black Shadow

vincent_black-shadow_series-c.jpeg

The Black Shadow would reach 125 mph on the weak mix sold as 'petrol' in the late 1940s. Most contemporary motorcycles struggled to reach 90 mph.

garbage scow

Binmen's lorry (used to collect household rubbish from dustbins).

When my first car became uneconomic to repair, I was looking for a new-to-me vehicle.

There were two vehicles that I could afford. One was an ex-Army Bedford 30 cwt lorry (truck) with four wheel drive and a canvas load cover. The other was an ex-local council binmen's lorry with a crew cab and a rear tipping body. Either would have cost me ten pounds.

bedford_30cwt.jpg

dustcart.jpg

I went to my local friendly insurance broker. They told me that it was impractical for me to insure either vehicle as I was under 21 years of age. Although I had the appropriate class of driving licence, anyone using such vehicles as passenger transport would have to be over 21 years old to get insurance at a reasonable cost. They also pointed out that the fuel consumption would be substantial.

I borrowed a few pounds from my father and bought a 1952 Morris Oxford.

DICSO_MG_111.jpg

That was a much more reasonable vehicle than a binmen's lorry.

Binmen's lorry (used to collect household rubbish from dustbins).

When my first car became uneconomic to repair, I was looking for a new-to-me vehicle.

There were two vehicles that I could afford. One was an ex-Army Bedford 30 cwt lorry (truck) with four wheel drive and a canvas load cover. The other was an ex-local council binmen's lorry with a crew cab and a rear tipping body. Either would have cost me ten pounds.

bedford_30cwt.jpg

dustcart.jpg

I went to my local friendly insurance broker. They told me that it was impractical for me to insure either vehicle as I was under 21 years of age. Although I had the appropriate class of driving licence, anyone using such vehicles as passenger transport would have to be over 21 years old to get insurance at a reasonable cost. They also pointed out that the fuel consumption would be substantial.

I borrowed a few pounds from my father and bought a 1952 Morris Oxford.

DICSO_MG_111.jpg

That was a much more reasonable vehicle than a binmen's lorry.

Milk float (Do they still have such things?)

Milk float (Do they still have such things?)

Yes, they do but they are a dying breed.

One local enthusiast has a collection of electric milk floats that he takes to vintage transport fairs each summer.

When I was very young I was riding my red tricycle down the centre of our snow-covered cul-de-sac (dead end street) when the milkman's horse ran over me. I didn't hear him coming because the snow deadened the sound of the horse's hooves and the cart's wheels. The horse didn't see me because his blinkers were full of snow. I wasn't really hurt even though a hoof trod on the little finger of my left hand. I still have a slightly displaced nail on that finger.

Many years later I was told the story behind the milkman's horse entering our street. Just around the corner in the more major road, the milkman used to stop for a long time each morning. That was where he would visit the lady of the house for 'a morning cup of tea' - actually for a session in her bed while her husband was at work.

The horse would stand patiently outside but sometimes would get bored and walk around the corner into our road, which was next on the delivery round. That morning the snow was blowing into its face so it set off early - running over me.

Association:

Cola Float (ice cream in Coca-Cola)

Yes, they do but they are a dying breed.

One local enthusiast has a collection of electric milk floats that he takes to vintage transport fairs each summer.

When I was very young I was riding my red tricycle down the centre of our snow-covered cul-de-sac (dead end street) when the milkman's horse ran over me. I didn't hear him coming because the snow deadened the sound of the horse's hooves and the cart's wheels. The horse didn't see me because his blinkers were full of snow. I wasn't really hurt even though a hoof trod on the little finger of my left hand. I still have a slightly displaced nail on that finger.

Many years later I was told the story behind the milkman's horse entering our street. Just around the corner in the more major road, the milkman used to stop for a long time each morning. That was where he would visit the lady of the house for 'a morning cup of tea' - actually for a session in her bed while her husband was at work.

The horse would stand patiently outside but sometimes would get bored and walk around the corner into our road, which was next on the delivery round. That morning the snow was blowing into its face so it set off early - running over me.

Association:

Cola Float (ice cream in Coca-Cola)

Cola bottles (a gum-like sweet, cola flavoured, optional fizzy coating...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back