Story categorization help

Joined
Sep 4, 2017
Posts
29
I have an idea for a story about a young man who watches his mom hypnotized on stage. While on stage, his mom strips, dances and makes out with other women etc.

How would I categorize this? Under Incest or Mind control?
 
I have an idea for a story about a young man who watches his mom hypnotized on stage. While on stage, his mom strips, dances and makes out with other women etc.

How would I categorize this? Under Incest or Mind control?
Mind Control. Unless he shags Mom, in which case, Incest trumps MC.
 
Does Incest trump Mind Control?

In this instance, I'd suggest Incest as the best category, as "Mother has her inhibitions loosened by stage-show hypnotist; ends up having sexy times with son" seems like an Incest story to me, with the mind control elements just being the vehicle. It'd be different if the son were the one doing the hypnosis.

In general, though, I'd think that "Guy gets ability to control minds; uses said ability on family members" is such a stock MC plot that having a motherfucking protagonist shouldn't be a dealbreaker for Mind Control readers.

And, conversely, Mind Control is essentially just a subtype of Non-consensual (as well as falling into SF/Fantasy), and I could reasonably see an Incest reader not expecting or wanting to read that kind of plot.

... getting back to your story, your description seems heavy on the "getting naked in public/watching people do sexy stuff" aspects, so you may also want to consider Exhibitionism/Voyeur.
 
I think it depends what the emphasis of the story is.

If it's from the son's point of view, and the son is getting horny and turned on by seeing his mom naked, and that's the emphasis of the story, then definitely put it in incest. Some readers may be disappointed if something physical doesn't actually happen between mom and son, but that's where it belongs because the emphasis is on son's feelings for mom. Besides, you'll get at least three times the views.

But if son's narration is more incredulous and innocent than turned-on, maybe it belongs in mind control.

Since you want to tell the story from son's point of view, my guess is that the former is the better description of the story, so incest is the way to go.
 
If mommy shags everybody in the room but sonny, it's Group.
 
If mommy shags everybody in the room but sonny, it's Group.

Not if the story is told from son's point of view and he's jerking off while watching it. That's incest.

You have to think in terms of reader response. That's the key thing. If the essence of the story is son getting off to something hot mom is doing, then it's incest, regardless of what else happens. That's the way readers will see it.
 
What's the hook of the story if it isn't the young man's sexual attraction to his mother? If it is, you have your answer that it's incest. Doesn't mean you can't submit it to another category, if you want.
 
If son ultimately gets it on with mom, then the story/series definitely is incest. That's where to put it.


Not only is incest a trump category, it's the most popular category. So if you CAN put it in incest, you're a fool not to, because you'll get three times as many readers if you put it there than anywhere else.

But if you do this as a multi-chapter story, make sure the first chapter has incest elements: lots of description of son lusting after mom while she's being hypnotized. If you don't have that, then don't publish it as separate chapters.
 
I may make it two parts, the first part is the hypnosis show and the son fucks his mom in part two.

The problem with that is you could annoy two sets of readers.

Mind control fans would expect the story to continue; Incest readers would want it in, and including, Incest from part one.
 
The problem with that is you could annoy two sets of readers.

Mind control fans would expect the story to continue; Incest readers would want it in, and including, Incest from part one.

If chapter 1 is told from the standpoint of the son getting turned on by watching his mom being hypnotized, this isn't a problem. It can go in incest.
 
If chapter 1 is told from the standpoint of the son getting turned on by watching his mom being hypnotized, this isn't a problem. It can go in incest.

Agree. I almost commented on your last post that if the son thinks about having sex with his mother or masturbates to the thought or the view of her having sex with someone, that's still incest on his part. Not on his mother's part, but voyeurism and sexual arousal are sexual acts in and of themselves.

Whether or not readers will accept thought or voyeur as enough to find chapter one in that category is another issue. Some probably won't. But some "probably won't" about anything a writer here does.
 
A couple of tales I'm cooking. In one, single parents of a slew of fucking-age kids marry, with ensuing hilarity in their combined big house. In the other, cousins and friends fuck, but no cousin-fucking after part one. Neither are really Incest but that's where they'd be most read, rather than in friendlier but sparser Group. Categories are frustrating.
 
Back
Top