More questions, sorry

C

CoffeeWithMonkeys

Ok so my story should be up by tomorrow, when should I submit the next chapter? Wait to see if anyone is even interested in reading it first? Or go ahead and submit the next one now?

That's totally up to you. I recommend you don't wait very long, though as you're running the risk to loose readers.

If ready, I post the next chapter as soon as the chapter is published but that requires to have the story essentially finished.

I think I will go ahead and submit it. If tomorrow no one likes the first chapter I can always put the second chapter to draft before it gets approved.

In my experience readers like authors to keep to a regular schedule with chapter updates (say, a new chapter every week at around the same time). But ultimately your schedule is up to you. It’s best if you look at what chapters you have still to write and pace yourself to that - if you have your story 100% complete you know you’ll be able to stick to a schedule, but if not you’ll need to space out publication so that you have time to write the future chapters without causing massive and uneven gaps in your posting.

If you submit several chapters in one day, Laurel usually spaces them out over several days.

If you submit several chapters in one day, Laurel usually spaces them out over several days.

Really? I didn't know that! That is a nice piece of info. I think I'll go ahead and edit and submit two more chapters.

Thanks!

This is my tendency of writing and submitting stories. If I have a story in the headlines posted, I wait until it leaves the headlines before submitting and posting a new chapter. This tendency allows the previous chapter to stay visible to read a bit longer without myself contributing to it leaving the headlines. Once it’s gone from the headlines, not many people go searching for the story to read unless the new chapter draws in new readers. That’s my thinking and experience posting stories on Lit🌹Kant

I'm not sure if one can count on this. There are examples of stories with multiple chapters published one day after the other. A very recent example is the First Time Nude Sauna series, which consists of a number of chapters, quite a few of which have been published on back to back days.

I would think it would make sense to wait until one chapter has been published before publishing the next chapter. That way a chapter will spend time on the new story list and draw as many readers as possible before the new story publishes. If you do it this way then, based on the typical post-to-publishing time, the stories will be spaced about 4-5 days apart. That's long enough for one chapter to cycle through the more fast-moving story lists (such as LW or I/T) and short enough not to tax the patience of the readers.

I'm not sure if one can count on this. There are examples of stories with multiple chapters published one day after the other. A very recent example is the First Time Nude Sauna series, which consists of a number of chapters, quite a few of which have been published on back to back days.

I would think it would make sense to wait until one chapter has been published before publishing the next chapter. That way a chapter will spend time on the new story list and draw as many readers as possible before the new story publishes. If you do it this way then, based on the typical post-to-publishing time, the stories will be spaced about 4-5 days apart. That's long enough for one chapter to cycle through the more fast-moving story lists (such as LW or I/T) and short enough not to tax the patience of the readers.

My poor phrasing. She tends to post chapters one per day, not with several days between them.

In my one experience with chapters, I completed them all and submitted them all at the same time. In my case they published out about one every couple of days. I think it worked great, and would do it this way again. I also put a note to the reader stating it was a complete series and submitted, etc.

Back