On The Trail Of Ben Jonson

FEELINGLUCKYPUNK

Loves Spam
Real name Benjamin Johnson, same as me.

His people were from Aberdeen SCOTLAND. His closest friends were William Shakespeare and Francis Bacon. Jonson went to prison twice, once for pissing the king, and once for murder He made babies with more women than his wife. I suspect my antecedent was the fruit of an illicent connection.

In genealogy, when your candidate ancestor is correct the facts stick to both oh of you.

I located a Ben Jonson bio, the info online is more teasing than solid facts

My Johnson crew spent their lives at London and around Birmingham.

The Jonson biography is interesting but mostly suppositions with scattered facts that are consistent with he and I being related, the author connects Jonson to my line with an unsupported claim. Plenty of experts agree Jonson and Dr,Samuel Johnson (my ancestors nephew} are of the same family. But no records of it. Ben Jonson has holes in hia biography due to house fires that destroyed records.

In theory all of us ought to share identical y sex chromosomes. My comprehensive DNA test results should arrive soon. Jonson was a tomcat andt there may be unofficial copies of his genes.

The Jonson bio remains interesting but the author warned how things aren't always what they seem. like in 1839 when Jonson's grave was opened to accommodate an adjacent burial. Jonsons remains had a red scalp. In life Jonson had black hair, and totally white at the end. Real name BENHAMIN JOHNSTON. Jonson dropped the H and T to Anglicize his name. Originally Freench de JOHESTOUNE . they weren't ethnic Scots, and considered by all to be bandits, killers, and resident aliens on the border of England and Scotland.

Red hair when the grave opened?

They wouldn't have known that in 1839 but it is a common change caused by chemicals in the soil.

Read a bit of the Samuel Johnson( The Tory) bio, then found a bio for his uncle. Samuel Johnson (The Whig) a man who mattered in UK history. His efforts launched the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

Shakespeare was born a few miles from Derbyshire and Staffordshire counties. 40 miles and les. I wonder if my Johnsons played Hokey-Pokey with the Shakespeare girls.

My 2bd DNA test results arrived today.

50% Scottish and Welsh. No English.

30% French Austrian and Swiss.

20+ % Northwest Russia.

3% Spanish.

What I meant was that ALL corpses buried in a particular soil type will have red hair, whatever their hair colour was like in real life.

The Jonson bio remains interesting but the author warned how things aren't always what they seem. like in 1839 when Jonson's grave was opened to accommodate an adjacent burial. Jonsons remains had a red scalp. In life Jonson had black hair, and totally white at the end. Real name BENHAMIN JOHNSTON. Jonson dropped the H and T to Anglicize his name. Originally Freench de JOHESTOUNE . they weren't ethnic Scots, and considered by all to be bandits, killers, and resident aliens on the border of England and Scotland.

Sorry, "Johestoune" is not French. At best it is an earlier spelling of Johnstown. Orthography was very fluid in those days, and has resulted in many modern jokes about the pronunciation of English names. Don't forget Samuel Pepys, pronounced "peeps."

Red hair when the grave opened?

They wouldn't have known that in 1839 but it is a common change caused by chemicals in the soil.

Corpses buried in laeteritic soil will absorb iron from the earth and potentially oxidize to a reddish hue. In a coffin, though, things are different; as long as the coffin is intact, soil won't get to the cadaver. Many coffins, however, do collapse under the weight of the soil shoveled onto them. The OP said the scalp was reported to be red. If this refers to the top of the skull, then it could be a simple matter of coffin patina, resulting from gassing off of volatile hydrocarbons in the wood, similar to the colour that the barrels impart to aged whisk(e)y. This can be reddish brown/auburn as well.

My 2bd DNA test results arrived today.

50% Scottish and Welsh. No English.

30% French Austrian and Swiss.

20+ % Northwest Russia.

3% Spanish.

Human alleles do not distribute themselves by language, ethnicity, or political borders. These "ethnic" identifications made by Ancestry and 23 are all based on allelic frequencies; there are few "discrete" genes that are found only in one population or another. There are no "Spanish," "Welsh," "Scottish," or any other group genes. But it does generate a lot of income for those companies that pretend there are.

Human alleles do not distribute themselves by language, ethnicity, or political borders. These "ethnic" identifications made by Ancestry and 23 are all based on allelic frequencies; there are few "discrete" genes that are found only in one population or another. There are no "Spanish," "Welsh," "Scottish," or any other group genes. But it does generate a lot of income for those companies that pretend there are.
Agreed about the many fallacies of ancestry testing.

What do you think about Y-STR DNA testing for genealogical purposes?

My poor grandmother once used one of these kits and it assigned her to entirely the wrong country. She thought she'd spent her entire life living a lie (this despite having an incredible amount of information about her own family tree). I had to talk her down and ended up buying us both a different kit to do together with a different service, so that she could get better results. Fortunately that cleared everything up...

TIO BANDITO

My sister used 23 & me, I used Ancestry. I'm not impressed with either though the results are alike. I read about the flaws before I did mine. I also did my genealogy back forever. Genealogy is prolly as flawed as DNA cuz of the sloppy fact collecting and reporting. People talk shit, too.

Corfirmed Samuel Johnson THE WHIG was WILLIAM JOHNSONS SON and uncle of Dr. Samuel Johnson. The Whig set JAMES II hair afire and made WILLIAM AND MARY possible. I suspect William is Ben Jonson's bastard son, but we'll see.

The JOHNSONIAN GLEANINGS book is fulla trivia pulled from the newspapers, records, letters, etc that pertain to Dr.Samuel Johnson (the Tory) and his kin. The book came along about 1930. It seems unknown to many Johnson scholars who relay on Boswell.

Connecting William Johnson to Ben Jonson is a challenge but there plenty of circumstantial facts in my favor. If your target is correct the facts usually fall your way.

In the 1930s there were a number of books like the Johnsonian Gleanings. They were published to be given as presents to people who liked that particular author. Shakespeare and Dickens versions are more common.

But their academic credentials are suspect. They were created at speed by hack writers, like print-on-demand books are made now on a particular subject that were created by googling the internet.

In the 1930s there were a number of books like the Johnsonian Gleanings. They were published to be given as presents to people who liked that particular author. Shakespeare and Dickens versions are more common.

But their academic credentials are suspect. They were created at speed by hack writers, like print-on-demand books are made now on a particular subject that were created by googling the internet.

Every night I cry myself to sleep brcause you and BUTTERSW aren't on my pedigree. My life is despair.

Back when I did my Masters thesis I discovered most academic research is nonsense.

Back in 1869 my ancestor identified STAFFORDSHIRE as the seat of my Johnson Line, but Staffordshire, Derbyshire, and Warwickshire are the real seats.

Sorry for the delay; I was away for the holiday weekend.

Y-STR is very good for genealogy, but not perfect. Mutations do affect even repeated strings, and there is always the question of socio-cultural genealogy versus biological genealogy.

When it comes to biogeographical identification through Y-STRs or even Autosomal STRs, I'm very reluctant to allow of more than statistical estimates. Use of Y-STRs for this depend on the assumption that males do not move from the region of their birth and leave genes elsewhere. While natural selection may not have any particular effect of STRs, mutation and population effects, such as drift and founder's effect, can be of major import.

Back