Can you tell what it is yet? *Moan*

Princess_Red

Virgin
So, I started a new story with the intention of it being Erotica, I suppose it is to a point. As in, it has erotic scenes. But then I feel like there's more than the 10k words I've got, a whole new universe is trying to develop, which I do not need right now because I'm nearly 80k words into a novel that I adore. Alongside my existing Literotica stuff, egh.

I think I'm just moaning about having too much inspiration which is ungrateful I suppose but I really just wanna crack on with my novel. *cries into my coffee*

Anyone else overwhelmed with ideas?

-Red

Yes, but not overwhelmed. I listed them all out a month or so ago, and at my current writing rate, there was about 30 month's worth. I don't let it worry me, I just write the one I'm doing until it's done, and permit myself no more than two side projects. It works, but I'm never short of ideas.

Most of the time, I feel like I'm running a Plot Bunny farm. :eek:

I'd put a Plot Bunny's for sale sign up but what would I charge?

My problem is I have no inspiration for short stories. All my ideas are of the "Oh, I can do twenty chapters with that" variety.

MelissaBaby- My original chapter of SSEP (I'm now on chapter 6) started as 'oh that'll be a short one' (each chapter is between 6k and 12k words.) yeah okay lol, so I get it.

TxRad - I have no clue. Maybe we should start a website- Tagline ''Idea farm, for people who need a muse.''

electricblue66 - Very sensible!

MelissaBaby- My original chapter of SSEP (I'm now on chapter 6) started as 'oh that'll be a short one' (each chapter is between 6k and 12k words.) yeah okay lol, so I get it.

The other problem is that I've created a set of characters I really love writing. So, if I get an idea for some particular incident or development, I immediately start to think about how I can incorporate it into their story. And their story keeps getting longer...

I think this is where the hoary adage, “Kill your darlings,” is truly meant to apply.

I think this is where the hoary adage, “Kill your darlings,” is truly meant to apply.
That adage applies if you possess literary aspirations and/or will be paid. Here, we may as well encourage the wee little buggers to convulse, breed, and squeal. Fun, hey?

Short vs long, hmmm. Building a setting and letting the players run wild, a story usually tends to meander interminably. My other playbook tricks are 1) know the events, as from a journal, and flesh out the tale, and 2) start with the ending image and figure out how to get there. Both can produce viable one-pagers, or less, or more.

But if you've a major story arc in mind, settle in for the long haul. Or condense. Like the 3-Minute Shakespeare theater troupe. Just slash away all the trivia. Do an Ogg.

I find the novel v short story thing gets ever more interesting as readers' attention spans shrink.

Many years ago, I had a tutor who used to insist that a novel was just two or three hundred pages of character - by which she meant the character of the characters. 'Once you get up a head of steam up, it's just too easy,' she said. 'If you want a real challenge, try writing short stories.'

At the time, I wasn't convinced. But now I think she may have had a point. A good short story is like a good dinner: appetising, nourishing, satisfying, and able to be consumed in a single sitting.

I have lots and lots of 'good' ideas. But only a very few of then make it into becoming proper short stories. So far this year I have managed five - about one a month. But three or four others have ended up as 'Lit stories'. :)

Whew! I thought this wuz a thread about pregnant writers.

Carry on. I'm boiling water.

Good luck to the OP.

I am in that position now. 10,000 words in before a sex scene was created. It has become a world inside the story.

You guys need to stop this. James is going to spill sugar in excited arousal.

So, I started a new story with the intention of it being Erotica, I suppose it is to a point. As in, it has erotic scenes. But then I feel like there's more than the 10k words I've got, a whole new universe is trying to develop, which I do not need right now because I'm nearly 80k words into a novel that I adore. Alongside my existing Literotica stuff, egh.

I think I'm just moaning about having too much inspiration which is ungrateful I suppose but I really just wanna crack on with my novel. *cries into my coffee*

Anyone else overwhelmed with ideas?

-Red

Oh yes indeed!

Mine comes and goes in spurts. Drives me nuts.

Seems I can't write the ideas fast enough.

Then I'm back to whatever story I was working on. Sometimes taking ideas from one and putting them into the other. Always managing to somehow avoid contradictions through proof reading.

Back