Do you care about your score?

I find it interesting that My Fall and Rise has gotten a lot of nominations for the Most Literary award, and now that the deadline for noms is approaching, the scores on the highest rated chapters have all significantly declined.

Contests of any kind -along with top lists-are target practice for all types of trolls.

That's malice and envy, has to be. I can't imagine anyone who writes attacking another writer like that (I might be wrong but I hope not), so I have to assume it's nonny no talent out there getting some strange pleasure from their own negativity. I can't imagine how horrible their lives must be, that trolling scores down is all they've got.

I've learned a lot about how Literotica works from watching scores on my very few stories. I much better understand about getting the formatting correct (don't trust that RTF), how to write a teaser and a tag, and warn readers that they might see something offensive to them. Until I started posting stories, I never used the website, but only read off the Android App -- where until recently tags weren't visible. Similarly, the Android App doesn't show comments or allow you to post them. So despite kind feedback I have received, in an overall sense I think my "low" scores without a Red H are perfectly appropriate.

That said, it was disheartening to watch them drop suddenly about day three, which I now understand might have been the result of trolling -- or maybe I just offended people! Either way, I try to keep a perspective and maintain sympathy for trolls and their need for malice. They might upset me once in a while but the trolls have to live with themselves 24 hours a day. If I feel angry at them, or carry that indignation around, what does that say about me?

Don't give energy to negativity.

That's malice and envy, has to be. I can't imagine anyone who writes attacking another writer like that (I might be wrong but I hope not), so I have to assume it's nonny no talent out there getting some strange pleasure from their own negativity. I can't imagine how horrible their lives must be, that trolling scores down is all they've got.

Other authors do it as well. All us old farts know of two that do it on a huge level, and that there have been groups here who have both down vote other authors while upvoting all their own work.

But talking like this is what ticks off the site. Not the cheats and abusers mind you, but the people who call it out.

Other authors do it as well. All us old farts know of two that do it on a huge level, and that there have been groups here who have both down vote other authors while upvoting all their own work.

But talking like this is what ticks off the site. Not the cheats and abusers mind you, but the people who call it out.

It was a war between well-established Lit authors engaging in that kind of crap what helped me decide to go away for a few years.

Have to say the forum (AH, specifically) has gotten lots better about keeping the wars in text down, but I think LC is right that the peoples pointing out bad behavior of regulars gets told off more than peoples screaming "there's trolls everywhere I look!" no matter how much attention either of them gets.

Don't yell at the big names unless you gots a thick skin - you will NOT get backup.
Don't yell at the trolls - is like pissing into the wind - the trolls sit and giggle while you taste bitter and salt with a hint of sour (except the ones with a pee fetish who might join you).

The mods here is not like the mods on most forums - here they is for keeping stuff to the rules of the forums they mod AND NOTHING ELSE. They doesn't pass complaints up to peoples what can do a thing, they just gets frustrated that you is pissing at the wrong peoples. Is one way to run a forum and I is not expert enough to say it's a bad one, just saying don't piss at people that has nothing to do with why you is mad.

Now I mostly cares what peoples think of my stories - and only comments tell me that. Votes in a broken system don't mean anything.

In the past, sure, but now? Dunno. I hear the conspiracy theorists but I guess by definition there's no real evidence. I can't seen the point of the stupid games - it's not like we're talking megabucks here. But maybe some folk have got nothing else to do. A bit sad, really.

In the past, sure, but now? Dunno. I hear the conspiracy theorists but I guess by definition there's no real evidence. I can't seen the point of the stupid games - it's not like we're talking megabucks here. But maybe some folk have got nothing else to do. A bit sad, really.

Yeah - I mentioned that (probly while you was posting). I don't see the older, established peoples doing it now the way they did years ago.

And we is subjecting ourselves to it for free. There is pay sites where can has the same fights over moneys :D

Funny you say mega bucks because one thing I always think of is people play these BS games now over an H or a top list of the occasional few bucks for a contest.

Can you imagine what would happen if people were paid by score of number H's or a top list story:eek:

It was a war between well-established Lit authors engaging in that kind of crap what helped me decide to go away for a few years.

Have to say the forum (AH, specifically) has gotten lots better about keeping the wars in text down, but I think LC is right that the peoples pointing out bad behavior of regulars gets told off more than peoples screaming "there's trolls everywhere I look!" no matter how much attention either of them gets.

Don't yell at the big names unless you gots a thick skin - you will NOT get backup.
Don't yell at the trolls - is like pissing into the wind - the trolls sit and giggle while you taste bitter and salt with a hint of sour (except the ones with a pee fetish who might join you).

The mods here is not like the mods on most forums - here they is for keeping stuff to the rules of the forums they mod AND NOTHING ELSE. They doesn't pass complaints up to peoples what can do a thing, they just gets frustrated that you is pissing at the wrong peoples. Is one way to run a forum and I is not expert enough to say it's a bad one, just saying don't piss at people that has nothing to do with why you is mad.

Now I mostly cares what peoples think of my stories - and only comments tell me that. Votes in a broken system don't mean anything.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm well aware I contribute to things like that, but can't help myself.

I'm a street rat from a nasty broken childhood. I have the deep seeded to a fault desire to never back down from a fight, any type of fight. So where most people say fuck it, let it ride. I'm willing to ride all the way to the end and I'll ride hard.

In a term of today lit is 'fake news' you hear all this rah rah about some things, but they hush up other things and say "nope not real' even when its right there in plain site.

I'll cite and example that if he drifts into this another author can fully back up as he was involved as well.

Laurel once declared "There is no such thing as this group" in a thread where several people from that group said "Yes, we are a group"

Then myself and the other author were told there would be action against us if we didn't knock it off. :rolleyes:

In the end that particular group imploded as always happens when egos collide, but they weren't the first or the last, especially when nothing is ever done about it.

I know the mod here gets frustrated-they have said it to me and I'm sure others-because they can't 'mod' based on what they see and know and feel, they have to follow the lead of the site and again...apathy at best.

I know the mod here gets frustrated-they have said it to me and I'm sure others-because they can't 'mod' based on what they see and know and feel, they have to follow the lead of the site and again...apathy at best.
My frame of reference is when I first arrived in AH, early 2014, and followed the first Contest Thread I found. I could not believe the toxic things that crawled out of gutters and sewers, squabbling over garbage. Worse than a junior high school play ground.

Compared to back then, the current crew (with the occasional exception of people who wander in from the GB and Political Board and forget to re-engage their brain cell) are paragons of virtue and generally amiable. Self control and self-moderation is certainly more evident, and there's even a camaraderie of sorts.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm well aware I contribute to things like that, but can't help myself.

I'm a street rat from a nasty broken childhood. I have the deep seeded to a fault desire to never back down from a fight, any type of fight. So where most people say fuck it, let it ride. I'm willing to ride all the way to the end and I'll ride hard.

In a term of today lit is 'fake news' you hear all this rah rah about some things, but they hush up other things and say "nope not real' even when its right there in plain site.

I'll cite and example that if he drifts into this another author can fully back up as he was involved as well.

Laurel once declared "There is no such thing as this group" in a thread where several people from that group said "Yes, we are a group"

Then myself and the other author were told there would be action against us if we didn't knock it off. :rolleyes:

In the end that particular group imploded as always happens when egos collide, but they weren't the first or the last, especially when nothing is ever done about it.

That one about the group sounds about like the time I leaved. I felt if the owners is playing the game there isn't a way a little person can win.

Now I isn't competing. The scales have been checked and found wanting.
I writes on Lit to say the stories I want to say and doesn't care a whole lot about the votings and the contests (I gots at least one story what should be on a "featured" list by scores in readers, faves, AND ratings for the category - and isn't).

I would ask that the name-calling and insult fests that used to be a regular thing here not start up again. I'm bad at fighting yet easily riled.

I just published my first story, and I find I really super care about the score. Holy cow, do I care! I've been watching it wildly fluctuate all morning and my sense of self worth as a writer is fluctuating right along with it.

That's probably not healthy.

I just published my first story, and I find I really super care about the score. Holy cow, do I care! I've been watching it wildly fluctuate all morning and my sense of self worth as a writer is fluctuating right along with it.

How about a link?

Denying the existence of trolls and concerted campaigns to upscore their favourites and downscore everything else may make you happier and more in tune with the owners, who have and may exercise ways to bring you in line, if you care, but it doesn't make them any less real. The scoring system is broken and ways have been found around whatever protections against false scoring that may exist. It works well enough for people of good will, and poorly if at all with respect to people of ill will. A simple sweep can't defeat a determined troll. So accept that or don't post on Lit.

I'm not sure that twos aren't taken out by the sweep, too, since it probably takes out the top and bottom votes. It certainly knocks stories down as well as up. I suspect the sweep is not as sophisticated as we may think it is.

Melissa likely is seeing the effects of an author's coterie (with or without the knowledge or consent of the author) voting down all stories but their fave. That's happened often enough.

Making excuses for the site may be considered to be a necessary courtesy to the site owners, who do provide this site for us to learn to write, stoke our egos, or whatever, though I doubt there can be any improvement without realizing the faults that exist.

Yet, I still look forward to a red H, and regret that those stories in which I disabled voting can't share in that honour. I've always thought consistency was overrated.

Be patient at first. The trolls usually hit when a story first comes out, and wide score fluctuations are common in the beginning when vote count totals are still low.

You published in the incest category, which is the most widely read, so your score should begin to stabilize within a few days.

Oh, and congrats on publishing your first story.

Give it a few years and a few dozen stories. You'll be like...who cares :D

But for now enjoy the exciting ride.

My latest posted story, a version of Golf Widower but in French, is rated low at 2.92

https://french.literotica.com/s/le-veuf-du-golf

I'm not surprised. One comment says that the French is terrible. :eek:

I used Google translate, read it through and made some changes, but apparently my memory of the French I learned nearly 60 years ago isn't enough in the 21st Century.

I need to go back to re-learning French. 21st Century French might be an improvement on the 1930s version I was taught at school, and the 18th Century French I've been using to read books and documents from the French Revolution.

Meanwhile? Perhaps Le Veuf Du Golf will be my lowest rated story. :)

As soon as my first story was published I eagerly looked for the stars and, if memory serves, it was about 4.70 and quickly got a red H. I was overjoyed. Then it started to slide. Probably because it had a lot of grammmatical and punctuation errors. I rewrote it and erased the errors. It was also transferred from T&C to NonCon because I had been told several times that it was in the wrong category and presumably readers were marking it down accordingly. It now languishes at 4.17 with 120 having voted. Perhaps if I had edited it sooner the marks would have been better.

The second one was NonCon and started at about 4.80 and then slid. It also had a lot of technical errors. It’s down at 3.97 with 115 votes. I think they should both be higher but not significantly. My reasoning being that I mark every story on whether I enjoy the story not whether a comma has been missed.

But even though nobody likes criticism, whatever they may say, only a fool ignores constructive criticism. So, for whatever reason, my latest story is doing better but I still expect it to slide. Hopefully, not as much as the first two.

But I’ll still be eagerly looking for the stars when my next story is published.

As soon as my first story was published I eagerly looked for the stars and, if memory serves, it was about 4.70 and quickly got a red H. I was overjoyed. Then it started to slide. Probably because it had a lot of grammmatical and punctuation errors. I rewrote it and erased the errors. It was also transferred from T&C to NonCon because I had been told several times that it was in the wrong category and presumably readers were marking it down accordingly. It now languishes at 4.17 with 120 having voted. Perhaps if I had edited it sooner the marks would have been better.

The second one was NonCon and started at about 4.80 and then slid. It also had a lot of technical errors. It’s down at 3.97 with 115 votes. I think they should both be higher but not significantly. My reasoning being that I mark every story on whether I enjoy the story not whether a comma has been missed.

But even though nobody likes criticism, whatever they may say, only a fool ignores constructive criticism. So, for whatever reason, my latest story is doing better but I still expect it to slide. Hopefully, not as much as the first two.

But I’ll still be eagerly looking for the stars when my next story is published.

I think most stories decline after the first few days, because so many of those early votes are coming from people who are following you, and so they are predisposed to like what you write.

I think most stories decline after the first few days, because so many of those early votes are coming from people who are following you, and so they are predisposed to like what you write.

I agree with you Melissa and that theory fits with the 2nd and 3rd stories but I didn’t have anyone following me when my first story was published. With that one it may have been that many people weren’t voting on whether they liked the story or not. Perhaps they were putting in ones or twos because (a) it contained a lot of punctuation errors etc or (b) because it was in the wrong category.

But with both my first two stories now having had 100 plus votes the stars have probably levelled out.

Last edited:
To some extent, yes In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter to me. I love the challenge and my material is different.

My frame of reference is when I first arrived in AH, early 2014, and followed the first Contest Thread I found. I could not believe the toxic things that crawled out of gutters and sewers, squabbling over garbage. Worse than a junior high school play ground.

Compared to back then, the current crew (with the occasional exception of people who wander in from the GB and Political Board and forget to re-engage their brain cell) are paragons of virtue and generally amiable. Self control and self-moderation is certainly more evident, and there's even a camaraderie of sorts.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is so true.

My latest posted story, a version of Golf Widower but in French, is rated low at 2.92

https://french.literotica.com/s/le-veuf-du-golf

I'm not surprised. One comment says that the French is terrible. :eek:

I used Google translate, read it through and made some changes, but apparently my memory of the French I learned nearly 60 years ago isn't enough in the 21st Century.

I need to go back to re-learning French. 21st Century French might be an improvement on the 1930s version I was taught at school, and the 18th Century French I've been using to read books and documents from the French Revolution.

Meanwhile? Perhaps Le Veuf Du Golf will be my lowest rated story. :)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You're very courageous!

My Grandfather's first language was German though he was born here and his parents were too. When he spoke German in front of more newly arrived German immigrants they couldn't help but laugh. Languages change a lot in a surprisingly short time. His was the German of at least a hundred years previous.

Back