Yikes! Man Planned Mass Shooting at "Twilight: Breaking Dawn" Screening

As a lapsed SCAdian, I think it's one of those Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea things that matters much more to the parties involved than to any of the bystanders...
Lapsed SCAdian, lol.

Now that I think about it, that "comfortable at a frat party" part is pretty much the reason I never went past guest status.
 
Could someone help me out a bit here?

I always thought that a semi-automatic gun was one that automatically reloaded but only fired one bullet at a time, whereas a fully automatic was one where you could hold down the trigger to fire several bullets at once. But reading this thread, people are talking about the AK-47 (that's the one they use in the army right?) being semi-automatic, isn't it fully automatic? And surely using semi-automatics isn't going to spray bullets everywhere, just mean you can fire individual bullets faster. Are fully automatic weapons legal?

I'm confused.
 
But reading this thread, people are talking about the AK-47 (that's the one they use in the army right?) being semi-automatic, isn't it fully automatic?

Military (and black market) AK-47 (or any of the Kalishnikov series or license-manufacture copies) are properly classed as "Select Fire) meaning they can fire semi-automatic or full automatic (or three round burst, on some models) but that generally isn't the "AK-47" anti-gun nuts rant about people "buying at wal-mart" because those "Select-Fire" versions are tightly controlled under the Firearms Act of 1934.

There are several manufacturers that do make semi-automatic versions based on the kalishnikov design that are semi-automatic only; some even look very similar to the Select Fire military models. Many of the semi-auto-only models can accept the familiar 30-round "banana clip" most people associate with an "AK-47."

The US and NATO forces don't use the Kalishnikov action. The US uses various derivatives of the AR-15 such as the M-16 and M-4.

Are fully automatic weapons legal?

Fully automatic firearms have been tightly controlled since the Firearms Act of 1934. They aren't precisely illegal, but they do require a special background check and license to own or operate.
 
Back
Top