How to find the correct category?

PhiroEpsilon

Really Experienced
Hi,

for orientation: I'm German, writing erotica for around five years. My original writing career started with non-erotic stories in an English online-magazine, which were accepted very well.

My first baby steps in Literotica told me that a story which was rated around 4.6 in German got a slightly lower rating for the English version (4.3 or so), which was totally acceptable for me.

Now I made a mistake to post a story of a couple switching partners and having sex in the same room into the category "Loving Wives." My rating after 12 hours was 3.1, and I was devastated. Some friendly comments told me later that my story was not that bad, but that the readers would have expected cheating, adultery, revenge, and punishment instead. Lacking that, my story got bad marks.

Well, I did notice that this was part of many stories in that category, but not that it was mandatory. At the moment I think I'll recategorize the story as "Group Sex" although one comment suggested "Fantasy." Any suggestions?

The next installment in this series is about male twins having fun with a young woman their age, then fun with each other, and later have a kind of encounter with their mother. In which category would that be placed best and wouldn't break unwritten rules? The German version is categorized as "Group Sex", but the incest angle might be a little dominant for American readers.

Cu
Phiro

Hi,

for orientation: I'm German, writing erotica for around five years. My original writing career started with non-erotic stories in an English online-magazine, which were accepted very well.

My first baby steps in Literotica told me that a story which was rated around 4.6 in German got a slightly lower rating for the English version (4.3 or so), which was totally acceptable for me.

Now I made a mistake to post a story of a couple switching partners and having sex in the same room into the category "Loving Wives." My rating after 12 hours was 3.1, and I was devastated. Some friendly comments told me later that my story was not that bad, but that the readers would have expected cheating, adultery, revenge, and punishment instead. Lacking that, my story got bad marks.

Well, I did notice that this was part of many stories in that category, but not that it was mandatory. At the moment I think I'll recategorize the story as "Group Sex" although one comment suggested "Fantasy." Any suggestions?

The next installment in this series is about male twins having fun with a young woman their age, then fun with each other, and later have a kind of encounter with their mother. In which category would that be placed best and wouldn't break unwritten rules? The German version is categorized as "Group Sex", but the incest angle might be a little dominant for American readers.

Cu
Phiro

You'll want to read through this thread in Story Feedback -> https://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1499027

Many of us have stumbled into the exact same hornets nest you did. The main readership group in Loving Wives has a narrow definition of what is acceptable there. The conversation in the thread mentioned above should bring you up to speed. Personally, I would put the next one in Group Sex as you mention.

An alternative to Loving Wives is Erotic Couplings if you want to avoid the poor reception in LW.

Hi,

thanks for the pointer to that thread. It's rather funny to read. I didn't imagine that there are really people who say "swinging and sharing" means cheating, which in my humble opinion is just the opposite. But since that is how the category is seen, I will most likely never drop a story of mine there.

cu
Rainer

Part of the problem is that there seems to be NO universally-accepted LW content; almost anything you write will bring (good analogy, Yukonnights) a swarm of 1-bombing hornets, caustic remarks and flaming. Your experience is anything but unique.

As to your proposed story, there are some things which generally need to stay firmly in their own category to avoid shouts of horror - specifically including incest and gay male. Put a even a brief description of two men getting it on in any other category but GM and you can expect fireworks. Ditto incest; even if the overwhelming majority of a story is vanilla, putting in a drop of incest will generally result in severe criticism.

And you’ve got both of those in one story...

Frankly, almost any category can be expected to bring screams from somebody. I’d suggest GM or Incest/Taboo. And I’d include a specific warning at the beginning. And I’d still be ready for howls whatever you did.

People are funny about such things.

Viel glück!

Frankly, almost any category can be expected to bring screams from somebody. I’d suggest GM or Incest/Taboo. And I’d include a specific warning at the beginning. And I’d still be ready for howls whatever you did.

People are funny about such things.

Viel glück!

Hi,

I think the "specific warnings" are the most important thing. Thanks again everyone who helped me.

If anybody of you likes my story and is willing to take a look into one pre-publishing*, just drop me a pm.

*) Proofreading not required; I recently got the professional version of Grammarly, and I think it's good in slapping me each time I use the wrong preposition...

Advice: Post in LW if you want views and unkind comments. Many LW themes can also fit other categories. A player can cheat interracially and/or in groups and/or incestuously and/or same-sex and/or inter-generationally and/or with various fetishes.

PhiroEpsilon said, "...At the moment I think I'll recategorize the story as "Group Sex" although one comment suggested "Fantasy." Any suggestions?"

PhiroE, That 'anonymous' comment was intended to be sarcastic...an insult that your story was a "fantasy" and not believable. Welcome to the land of very small brains ;)

I read your story and must say, very impressive. Your English usage is very good. A few instances of minor phrasing that outs you as a non-English writer. But nothing at all to detract from the story. I hope you continue to translate your series, with all of the many future characters it does seem like 'Group Sex' might be the place. (although, not knowing what each one is centered on—I may be speaking too soon.)

Since there are so many future characters; I would probably write a clear intro for use on each chapter that hints at the expanding future participants/players...and maybe even introduces what's new in the current chapter?

Also, I would invite you to participate in the Authors Hangout Forum. These types of questions will probably get more pertinent answers there. Lit has many accomplished writers with years of experience to share. I think all of these questions would get more traction and input over there. I would add, based on your story list, you would fit in comfortably.

PhiroEpsilon said, "...At the moment I think I'll recategorize the story as "Group Sex" although one comment suggested "Fantasy." Any suggestions?"

PhiroE, That 'anonymous' comment was intended to be sarcastic...an insult that your story was a "fantasy" and not believable. Welcome to the land of very small brains ;)

I read your story and must say, very impressive. Your English usage is very good. A few instances of minor phrasing that outs you as a non-English writer. But nothing at all to detract from the story. I hope you continue to translate your series, with all of the many future characters it does seem like 'Group Sex' might be the place. (although, not knowing what each one is centered on—I may be speaking too soon.)

Since there are so many future characters; I would probably write a clear intro for use on each chapter that hints at the expanding future participants/players...and maybe even introduces what's new in the current chapter?

Also, I would invite you to participate in the Authors Hangout Forum. These types of questions will probably get more pertinent answers there. Lit has many accomplished writers with years of experience to share. I think all of these questions would get more traction and input over there. I would add, based on your story list, you would fit in comfortably.

Thank you for this analysis. I'll keep on; let's see how it'll work out. As for the intro: Do you perhaps have an example of an existing story with such an intro? I was anyway thinking to write something about German vs. American customs when it comes to public nudity and legal ages. I was unsure if to add such texts before the story.

For example:

Some words about Germany, you can skip that and go to the story immediately…

For me it seems that in the American culture nudity = sex. If some people in American stories see each other naked, it seems always to be a prelude to sex. For Germans this is completely different. In Germany it is completely legal to be nude in public - with certain exceptions of course. But you can drive your car in the buff, you can go walking naked on public beaches, or by bicycle through public forests; you can sit on your terrace in view of your neighbors and so on. We have full frontal nudity on magazines and in prime-time TV. Children see their parents naked without any problem. Children sit in saunas and go skinny dipping with their parents, not only in private resorts, but in public leisure centers as well.

Of course there is no sex involved although in this regard the laws are quite different as well. Adolescents in the age between 14 and 18 can have sex with each other and even with adults legally. It is of course illegal to pay for sex with a minor or to exploit a minor otherwise. Teachers, coaches or employers may not have sex with minors. Incest is illegal as well, although this term is restricted to relatives of first grade (parents/children or siblings) AND to actual intercourse.

So, you should not be astonished if minors in this series talk with adults about sex, appear in scenes with communal nudity or talk about earlier sexual experience freely.

Nevertheless, all stories of mine are in concordance with Literotica rules insofar as there is NO on-stage sex when any non-adults (<18) are present.

Hi,

it didn't go well...

I published the second episode in "Group Sex" two weeks ago and I got a total of 6 (six) votes with an average rating of 3.33 and not a single comment.

The same story in German has a rating of 4.55
I have no idea what to do.

cu
Phiro

https://www.literotica.com/s/anitas-world-s1-e02-family-issues

Very good read, few small typos nothing you wouldn't instantly read past.
Probably meant to reference "Parental units" from coneheads.

As for the correct section, it doesn't really lean one way or the other.
Sucking brothers cock doesn't really qualify that heavy as incest or gay to me.
Some might think nudism would fall under exhibitionist but not with the German mindset to the story.
Group sex seems to have the greatest presence in this chapter.

Think quite a few people are just very picky on their categories.
Also try to throw in as many major tags you can think of swinging seems to be quite prominent in the end, maybe spitroast, threesome.

I have not tried to read the German version for cross-reference.

Last edited:
Very good read, few small typos nothing you wouldn't instantly read past.
Probably meant to reference "Parental units" from coneheads.

As for the correct section, it doesn't really lean one way or the other.
Sucking brothers cock doesn't really qualify that heavy as incest or gay to me.
Some might think nudism would fall under exhibitionist but not with the German mindset to the story.

Think quite a few people are just very picky on their categories.
Also try to throw in as many major tags you can think of swinging seems to be quite prominent in the end, maybe spitroast, threesome.

I have not tried to read the German version for cross-reference.

Thanks for the assessment. I don't normally use tags at all, but to lure some people in, maybe I'll give it a try.

Tagging the story, which takes place in a nudism area, with "exhibitionism" would feel like tagging any story set in a town with "clothing fetish". But I'll keep your other suggestions in mind.

Thnanks to the reader who gave me a 5-star-voting in the meantime.

@Phiro: Posting links to your stories will make them easier to find. I am lazy. I have not bothered to search for yours.
I have submitted stories with strong, but not dominant, incest and male-male themes in Group Sex, with no complaints.

My suggestions: Choose a category of the series' major theme. Avoid the temptation to put a serial's chapters in different categories -- readers will vanish. Write an entire series before submitting any of it, giving opportunity to fix errors and determine the category. Have fun!

@Phiro: Posting links to your stories will make them easier to find. I am lazy. I have not bothered to search for yours.
I have submitted stories with strong, but not dominant, incest and male-male themes in Group Sex, with no complaints.

My suggestions: Choose a category of the series' major theme. Avoid the temptation to put a serial's chapters in different categories -- readers will vanish. Write an entire series before submitting any of it, giving opportunity to fix errors and determine the category. Have fun!

Hi,

I slowly came to the same belief.

For one: my series contains at the moment around 15 episodes; only three of them I already translated into English. It ought to be some kind of test run. And with two stories ending in the mid 3s my motivation in investing my time for the translation is rather gone.

cu
Phiro

PS:

Episode 1: https://german.literotica.com/s/anitas-world-s1-e01-the-beginning
Episode 2: https://german.literotica.com/s/anitas-world-s1-e02-family-issues

Back