The Raiders of the Scarlet Sails (IC)

"Shon-tay-ah? I've never heard of--" was all the little halfling was able to get out before a messenger appeared from nowhere announcing the arrival of a new vessel. The strange woman's eyes went wide with her usual excitement and the town officials bid their prompt farewells.

"Well, that's awful suspicious timing..." Caitwyn mused aloud while gazing off towards the port. "You shouldn't go hitching yourself to any 'Sign' without giving it a proper look first," she advised with a grin. "Come on, let's go check it out," she invited Jabnil and her elf friend. "You can tell us all about your Shontaya as we go."
 
God, what timing

Jabnil beamed in joy. “There is no such thing as suspicious timing when you deal with the gods!” Jabnil said as Caitwyn, Amlugeth and her walked toward the docks. The ship was slowly sailing into the dry dock area and as reported, it was a beautiful ship.

“Chauntea or maybe Erastil as you might know her, is the goddess of plants, or the Great Mother or the goddess of life. She goes by many names. She is one of the oldest goddess. Her lover is Lathander, god of the rising sun, or Sarenrae in your pantheon of gods. The two work together to do good throughout the world and defeat evil.” Jabnil explained as they got closer to the ship. They could now clearly see people walking along the deck. Generally, the crew had silk sashes round their waists or on their heads or in both places, carried long knives or cutlasses in shark-skin sheaths on their belts. They was a certain daring and reckless manner in the way they carried themselves. It was different enough to distinguish themselves, from the quiet, hard-worked, merchant seamen.

“Pirates” Jabnil whispered to herself, but Caitwyn and Amlugeth easily overheard her. Rickety was aft near the helm guiding the ship to the dry dock. Next to him was a redhead woman with a lizard on her shoulder. She looked like the Captain of this crew. There was also a Cecaelia (half human/half octopus person), a half-elf working on a small boat, a small fairy flying about, and a rough looking human tending to the rigging. There was someone in the crow’s nest but Jabnil could not see more than just the top of his head.

Jabnil eyes glued to the rough looking human. “I can smell the evil on that one. Sulfuric and demonic! He is tainted!”

Ship’s crew

Nya stood next to Captain Red as they sailed slowly into the dry dock. “Ah what are you going to do for the rest of the money you owe for this squib?” She asked Red in a whisper.

“I have no idea … but I’m hoping something will come up” Red answered.

“I have some money that might help … maybe the other officers could help too” Nya suggested.

“I think most of them are planning on spending what they have on rum and women” Red answered back. “Look at our welcoming committee” Red said pointing to three women on shore watching them approach. A busty halfling, a gorgeous red haired elf and a platinum blond who’s figure was hard to tell as she was wearing a purple cloak but her face and skin were stunning, all watched as the ship approached.

Minutes later the ship was tied up and parts of the crew were going on shore leave.
 
The crews reaction to Lucas little display should have been better, he knew he should have thrown out some random witchlights to make it look fancier, oh well, it was good enough. He nodded in response to the good captain when she told him he could bunk down in the carpenters room, then watched as she walked off, just enjoying the view before heading off to inspect his ship. It was in good shape all things considered, that said, it was still a piece of crap, if he had been unlucky enough to get any stormy weather it wouldn’t have held together, ultimately it had outlived its usefulness, maybe he could sell it or something, or just give it away, he didn’t know yet.

Oh well, that was a question for future Luca to answer, present Luca had a room to inspect a valuables to hide. He pulled a small trunk out of the back of his boat and after a few moments of struggling to lift it, he instead sighed and just levitated it to float behind him, then headed down to find his new room, which after a few quick questions he soon found. It was a bit small for his liking, especially if he was to be he long term, he would have to see if he could knock down a wall and annex the next room at some point, but that was another problem for future Luca, the sucker. So Luca just quickly ditched his trunk and bag, quickly dispelling the arcane lock on the trunk to double check the contents for damage, luckily, all the valuables he had saved from the watery grave of his last ship were fine, unluckily, he forgot to lock the trunk again, yet another problem that future Luca was probably going to have to deal with. That mistake made, Luca made his way back above deck, just in time for the ship to receive visitors.

“So who's the old guy?” Luca asked in a hushed tone as he fell in to line to the right of Red, quickly receiving the answer that he was in fact, some old man, but presumably of some import, and apparently a shipwright judging by what they were saying. Maybe he could offload his boat to him, or get the stuff required to fix it properly, probably the better plan, it never hurt to have a exit strategy for when things go horribly wrong. With that in mind, Luca set about actually giving his little boat a once over, compiling a list of problems in his head that needed to be fixed.

Once they hit land, Luca gave it a break, now convinced that it had lasted this long by naught but divine providence, getting it up to standard was going to be a pain, and expensive, all the more reason to get the hell off the ship, on to dry land and distract himself for a while. And distracted he quickly became, having never spent such a long time at sea before, Luca had never had to readjust from the constant movements of the sea before, so his first few steps back on dry land were occupied with the overwhelming drive to not fall over and look like a fool. He knew he managed to pull off the first one, keeping himself upright, though he wasn’t too sure about the not looking like a fool part.
 
On the ship

Captain Red walked over to Nya and Blade who had now come down from the crow’s nest.

“Well … we made it this far.” Red said with a smile. “Let's make sure we are watered and provisioned in addition to the squibbing.” There were nods from both of them. Nya asked the obvious follow up question.

“What about enlisting some more crew members.” She asked.

“Yes … I want you two to do it. Standard contract and make sure they are seasoned. I’m not going through that nightmare we had back at Bloodcove … when Grim brought onboard those green recruits.” Red said in disgust. Both Nya and Blade had been on that voyage and knew what Red was talking about. The inexperienced men had not known the bow from the stern. Many of them had gotten killed when Capt Grim’s ship had a chance encounter with some giant sea eels. The ship had almost gone down in the battle.

“And when I say seasoned, I also mean they can fight … for I intend to go in harm's way when we leave here.” Red made clear.

“Are you going to let us know where you plan to go?” Nya asked.

Red got a big grin on her face “Good fortune and sure sailing await anyone who can crack the tidewater rock.” She quoted and then added “While you are recruiting, think of a way for us to capture that keep at tidewater”

Red turned and went down the hatch below decks.

Tidewater Rock was a strategic keep located on the western shore of the windward isles. The keep has had multiple rulers but one thing they all have in common is that they became rich. The legend goes that anyone who can “crack the rock” will become rich. Captain Harrigan had taken his whole fleet of pirate ships (8 in all) and was not able to take control of the keep. Red had always been daring … but “cracking the tidewater keep” with a single ship did not seem feasible at all. Nya and Blade just looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders.

“Shall we recruit at the bar… like always?” Nya asked Blade, a big smile on her face. Nya loved to study drunken land creatures.

Red

Red entered the Ballista deck and found Jura sharpening another massive ballista spear.

“Jura, you can go ashore now” Red said.

“I don’t want to” The huge minotaur dragon half breed said not looking up from his work.

“Why?” She asked.

“People will look funny at me … they don’t like me. They are scared of me.” He said with a grunt.

Red smiled “They should be scared of you. You can tear them in half.” Red said with laugher in her voice. “I’ll tell you what … since you still need to decide whether to be part of the crew or not. I’ll take you into town and we can have a few drinks. What do you say?” Red asked.

Jura looked up “They will look funny at both of us” He said. But She could tell he was tempted. He wanted to spend more time with Red.

“So what? I don’t care who looks. Anyhow I might need a body guard. It will be fun, and I’m buying the first few rounds” Red said sweetening the deal.

“Ok” Jura said putting the spear down and standing up. “Do I need to wear different clothing?” he asked not sure what people wore into bars.

“Nothing special just make sure it does not smell too bad” Red said and laughed. Jura and her headed up the ladder and to the bar.
 
Blade

To crack the rock? He always knew that Red was ambitious, but now after taking her first ship, she revealed an even bigger plan. He shrugged at Nya's question, he knew of her strange little quirk, "You go ahead. I will find you, I will scout around a bit. Be careful of that mage, he's hiding something." With that he hopped over the side, landed lightly on the dock and walked idly away, he would find Red soon enough, first the Thieves' guild needed a visit and he was the one to make that visit.
 
Jabnil

Jabnil watched as the ship was being tied up to the dry docks, and then she headed over to the bar. It was too bad Jabnil had not continued to watch the ship, because she only just missed Jura and Red leaving. The black dragon minotaur would certainly have drawn her attention. But Jabnil seemed to be focused on Reaver and knew the man would show up at the bar sooner or later. There was really no other place in the small village to get food or drink.

Jabnil pulled open the door to the tavern and slipped in. This time, she walked softly and quietly along the wall and tried not to be noticed. Her purple cloak helped but it was too small a town and the bar was not busy yet. The patrons noticed her again and so had the bar keep. She had been a good customer the night before, ordering LOTS of drinks. He headed to her table and gave her a small bowl full of bread.

“Alone today?” he asked hinting that he could join her.

Jabnil realized in her hurry to intercept the tainted man, she had left her two female friends behind.

“No … I expect two friends shortly. But until they get here a glass of that wonderful rum you have” She ordered. The barkeep nodded and went to get the rum.

Abbo Woodshaper

The bookish man with round glasses had seen the half-elf working on the odd piecemeal constructed craft hanging from the starboard davits of the ship. Abbo had always been shy and introverted. But his recent success at helping Jabnil pay for her drinks at the bar had been a strong positive reward to be more outgoing. The night he had spent with her was the kind of pleasure he imagined waited for those that died and went to heaven, sexual heaven!

So he decided his luck in life had changed and he was going to be more outgoing. He was going to offer his help to the half-elf. The half-elf clearly needed help with the craft he had been trying to repair. Abbo walked over to man, who was having a bit of trouble standing. That was when Abbo realized he did not know what to say to him.

“Good Sir … ah … my … name is Abbo Woodshaper” He started with a stutter. The half-elf just looked oddly at him, almost like he was going to throw up. Abbo was nervous but he was going to continue. He stood up straighter and said “I noticed you were trying to repair one of your … long boats. I can help for a small fee … did you want me to repair it for you?” He asked, hoping he had not said too much or been too forward.
 
Amlugeth heard Jabnil say "Pirates" and looked closer at the ship and the people around it. These were not the people she was looking for, but they could know them. She would have to get closer to them and see what she could learn. She slowly followed Jabnil into the bar since that is where the pirates would be during their leave.

She took her usual seat in the back corner and waited to see who would enter the bar and what would happen.
 
The small man who had come up to Luca was clearly quite a timid fellow, anyone would think he was talking to Jura rather than little old, non threatening Luca, but Luca knew what was up, the boy just a little socially awkward, socially awkward people made excellent marks if you took your time. "Are you behind on your quota or something?" Luca asked as he straightened up a little, starting to acclimatize to solid ground "hope you don't mind me asking, its just you really had to force yourself there, you looked like you really didn't want to talk to me."

A bit direct, but Lucas head was still spinning a little too much for subtlety to be an option "so either you're somehow being forced too, or you recently had some kind of life changing event that would persuade you to change your normal routine." Now he would either open up, which Luca would use as a way to gain his trust, or he would clam up, in which case Luca would just employ his services and wait for a better time to pounce. After all, it never hurt to have local friends.
 
By the time Caitwyn had managed to ascend a stacked crate next to a tall, round wooden barrel, the bizarre priestess of Erastil had announced her displeasure with the ship, or rather its occupants, and turned to leave. But the little halfling wasn't about to abandon her perch so soon after scaling it and took a moment to enjoy the view.

The ship sure was a beaut, no doubt about it, but showed signs of wear -- perhaps damage from battle, although whether from fellow sea-goers or any of a myriad of aquatic beasts was beyond her knowledge. Regardless, she looked to have good reason to be pulling into the docks. And that meant good business for the little port.

When Caitwyn turned back around, both the priestess and the elf were gone. No surprise -- tall folk seldom waited for her kind, and she wasn't in the practice of begging people to wait up. Fortunately, it wasn't terribly difficult to track them down. All she had to do was follow the trail of stupefied men with loosely hanging jaws -- the bar. Jabnil was suspiciously alone at a table, but Amlugeth seated herself in the corner and had the look of a woman who didn't want to be disturbed by this halfling's sunny disposition.

"Hey! You're going to have to try harder than that to lose me!" Caitwyn chirped with a teasing grin as she approached Jabnil's table. She didn't wait for permission and hopped up into a chair next to hers. "Did you see they have an Octopus-Girl? How awesome is that??"
 
Jabnil just can't keep her cloak on!!

Jabnil’s expression was sincerely regretful as she begged forgiveness of Caitwyn.

“Caitwyn, I’m so sorry. I was in a hurry to get here and forgot to wait for everyone. Let me buy you a drink ... some of this delicious rum.” She offered and did not wait for Caitwyn’s answer as she waved at the barkeep … this caused her heavy breasts to sway in a most delightful way under her cloak. Some of the patrons watched her, lustful thoughts filled their minds. The barkeep nodded and poured a glass of rum for the Halfling. Jabnil addressed Caitwyn’s other statement as they waited.

“Octopus-people … or their more proper names are either octofolk or cecaella. They are kind of like the dwarves of the sea, but not nearly as stubborn or blunt as dwarves. They love civilization, and enjoy jewelry, ornate clothing, and other baubles and artifacts. They are both advanced in technological things but also magical items.” Jabnil explained then she seemed to be talking more to herself as she continued “Strange that one would join up with pirates, but Cecaelia tend to be a highly curious race inquisitive of anything they come across. Maybe she found these pirates interesting.” Jabnil finished as the barkeep put Caitwyn’s glass of rum down and Jabnil paid him.

“This stuff is GREAT … burns a little on the way down … but such a warm feeling in your belly, and the after taste! Yum!” Jabnil gushed as she took a swig from her glass.

Just then Reaver walked into the bar as Flitter buzzed over his shoulder. Reaver wore a tricorn hat with a grinning skull in gold on the front. Bright red and gold great coat and leather pants and bright leather boots. He wore no shirt and his bare chest was on display. His weapon a rapier of pure Mithral hung at his waist. Flitter was dress as usual in her blue working dress and matching blue headband and tall brown boots.

“Caitwyn … please excuse me I need to kill that evil thing.” Jabnil said in a very serious voice. She unexpectedly stood up, her chair scooting backwards 10 feet.

“HELLSPAWN, I CALL YOU OUT IN THE NAME OF THE GOD ERASTIL! IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GO BACK TO YOUR OWN PLANE OF EXISTENCE!” Jabnil shouted as the whole bar grew quiet. Her cloak flew off as she drew her two swords. People gasped and moved quickly out of the way of the two combatants.

Reaver had pulled out his rapier to defend himself. Flitter also pulled out her weapon as she whispered to him “Who the fuck is that pissed off naked chick? An old girlfriend?” she asked

Reaver could tell just from the way this crazy bitch drew her swords she knew what she was doing. He knew she was holy, but most clerics used blunt weapons like maces. So she was not a cleric … certainly not dressed like one. This narrowed it down to just a few choices. A Paladin … but she wore not armor. Paladins usually wore platemail so it was unlikely she was one. An Archon, but she lacked the green skin, a Ghaele but she did not have the pearl colored glowing eyes or finally, Aasimar half-celestial, that seemed like the most probable choice but she did not have the golden eyes so typical of those touched by celestial beings.

Jabnil advanced on Reaver “I have slain so many of you fiends … why do you keep coming back to this plane. STAY in your own plane and stop bothering these mortals!” She said.

Reaver eyes grew wider … there was another possibility he had not considered. This woman might be a Solar Angel in her human guise! One of those beings could destroy an entire army BY THEMSELVES! He lowered himself into a defensive stance “I think she is a Solar Angel!” Reaver whispered back to Flitter.

Flitter knew what Reaver was … and also knew he had no chance against a Solar Angel. Those things were WAY to powerful. However, Reaver was her friend and he was a good man despite his origin. She gritted her teeth and flew directly at Jabnil.

Reaver gasped “NO FLITTER … DON’T”

Flitter ignored him and stopped in front of the naked woman. “STOP RIGHT THERE … if you want to get to him … you’ll need to go through me first!” Flitter said firmly.

Jabnil stopped, never having to face a situation like this before.

“Pixie … stand aside I must rid this plane of that monster!” Jabnil said pointing toward Reaver.
 
Abbo

Abbo's eyes widen as the clever half elf had guessed what had happened recently to him.

“I’m sorry to be so forward, but many customers don’t think about all the repairs and upgrades we can make. And they seldom remember to upgrade their long boats” He said with almost no stuttering “I can make your long boat faster … and add special features to it … if you wish” Abbo suggested “I’m the head carpenter for the shipyard so I have the skills needed.” The geeky man added to make sure the half-elf knew his offer was real.

“And you are right about the life changing experience” Abbo stated and then his eyes looked off in the distance “I met this beautiful woman … she was like an angel. Meeting her has given me more confidence” Abbo said as his eyes returned to Luca’s. There was something like disbelief in the half-elf’s eyes.

“If you do not believe me … you can find her at Rickety’s bar, her favorite drink is rum and her name is Jabnil” He said.
 
Well the little boat builder seemed to chipper up once he was reminded of his conquest, good for him, both on his past fun and his new confidence, now he just had to maintain that and he would have a much better chance at future success "Well good sir Woodshaper, I congratulate you on your moment of divine intervention, I'm sure a man worthy of an angel wont do me wrong" Luca reached in to one of the small pouches on his belt and palmed a decent handful of small gems and coins to Abbo "This should cover whatever work is necessary, and should inspiration strike you to do more, then bill the ship and I'll see to it that you are well compensated."

Luca clapped a hand to Abbos shoulder "I'm trusting you on this one buddy, now, if you'll excuse me, I have this annoying headache that wont go away until I have something to drink." And with that he departed, his eyes already set on a new potential target, this Jabnil person could be many things, and Luca curiosity was well and truly piqued.

The bar was easy to find, they generally are, a well hidden bar is generally a broke one, or a front for something else, something sinister, oh, maybe this one was too, Jabnil the tavern angel luring poor defenseless shipwrights to her thrall so she could conquer this little island. Because reasons. Foiling such a scheme would be an interesting little diversion during stopover, god knows Luca had gotten enough quiet contemplation during his time as captain of the good ship useless crapbucket.

“HELLSPAWN, I CALL YOU OUT IN THE NAME OF THE GOD ERASTIL! IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GO BACK TO YOUR OWN PLANE OF EXISTENCE!”

"Ah, speak of the dark things and they shall meet you at dawn" Luca had his distraction, and now he was at the bar, success on two counts, he was on a roll. He dusted himself off and swaggered on over to the bar, walking through the front door to see the little pixie he had noticed on the ship earlier arguing at sword point with... A naked woman, well, not really naked, but there's a point where the clothes you wear stop serving any purpose but to not be naked in public, and this woman had clearly passed that point.

Now, some simple deduction went on in Lucas head as he watched the two of them stand off, this woman did not look like the other townsfolk, simple guess, she was a recent arrival, Lucas new friend had just spent a night with an 'angel' and this woman was spouting all the rhetoric to fit that bill, so she might just be an angel. The last, and most important step in Lucas thought process, was that she hadn't begun obliterating everything around her like the other celestial beings he had met (or to be more accurate, annoyed then ran from) the knowledge Luca took from this, was she could be reasoned with... Possibly.

Well, time for the next installment of potentially suicidal actions with your host, Luca.

Luca exhaled and walked over to the altercation in the center of the room, doing his best to look as nonchalant about the whole thing as he could "Ladies, gentlemen, please, I hate to intrude, but the standard bar fight etiquette is that if you're going to be pulling steel on each other, you take it outside. Its downright disrespectful to the barkeep not too." That's right Luca, get their attention by being a little condescending, what could possibly go wrong. "Alternately, I buy a round of the top shelf stuff, we all sit down, and nobody gets stabbed" He looked over the flawless and unmarred skin of the woman he suspected was jabnil, and an angel, or an insane woman who thought she was an angel "I don't know if you've been stabbed, but I can tell you that it isn't fun in the slightest."
 
Their conversation started friendly and normal enough, but the next thing Caitwyn hears is...

“HELLSPAWN, I CALL YOU OUT IN THE NAME OF THE GOD ERASTIL! IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GO BACK TO YOUR OWN PLANE OF EXISTENCE!”

"What in the seven blazin' hells are you doing??" the little halfling half-spat out her rum in the sudden rush to free panicked words from her lungs. Caitwyn was off her chair and onto her feet in a flash; her hands gripping the back of what passed for Jabnil's sword belt and giving it a hard tug back.

"Put those away," she chided and gave a motherly tap to one of the taller woman's blade-griping fists. Caitwyn moved forward to stand before Jabnil and join the tiny fluttering pixie hovering above her in forming a defiant wall before the priestess. "You can't just go swinging your swords at anything that doesn't smell like peaches to ya. This may be a freebooter's port, but we're still civilized, ya'know."
 
Jabnil

Jabnil looked between the half elf on her right side and the Pixie, Halfling wall in front of her and the man/fiend behind them. She could kill them all, but her code of conduct would not allow for that. Besides her two swords were telling her she was being stupid. She had not heard the voices of the swords before now. They frankly surprised her … they definitely were not what she had expected.

The Healer was the first one to speak up, in her sexy husky voice, “Hey you stupid cunt … these are good people. What do you think you are doing?”

Then The Beacon added his deep snobby voice to hers “Although crudely articulated. The Healer is accurate. You are a thoughtless vagina. It is surprising that she was able to reason that out, she is rather dense herself.”

“Oh fuck off golden rod … you pompous ass.” The Healer replied to The Beacon.

“OK EVERYONE STOP TALKING RIGHT NOW!!” Jabnil screamed at the top of her lungs which silenced the entire bar.

“Let me answer everyone questions in order.” Jabnil stated and turned to the Half-elf first. “I apologize for my lack of etiquette … but I’m on a holy mission. I do not have the freedom to choose my battle field. Please stand back … or you might get hurt.” Jabnil then turned to the Halfling and the pixie. She bent over to get on their level, which gave everyone behind Jabnil a very good view of Jabnil's very sexy backside!

“You two have been fooled … that man is a fiend. A monster!” Jabnil said quietly

Flitter spoke up “He is not a monster … unless he acts like one. His appearance does not define him. His heritage does not define him. Only his actions define him. He has always acted with honor. He is a good man and he is not evil.” Flitter said her chest puffed up.

Jabnil looked over to Caitwyn … the Halfling nodded in agreement with the pixie’s statement.

Jabnil stood back up still thinking about what the pixie had just told her.

“A truer lexicon could not have been enunciated” The Beacon stated.

“Oh shut up … you condescending prick … Jabnil knows that already!” The Healer exclaimed to the golden sword.

Jabnil put both swords back into their scabbards, to silence them. She looked at everyone staring at her.

“Sorry about that … they are magical swords … actually I think they are more like cursed swords.” She explained.

She looked over to Reaver “I’m sorry … Every fiend I have run into in the past has been evil. But I can see now I was in error. I apologize.” Jabnil said then she remembered what the half elf had suggested. “Please join me at my table.” Jabnil asked pointing to the table she had been sitting at. “I wish to buy you a drink.”

Jabnil looked to the pixie, Caitwyn and the half elf “You folks as well. Please it will be my treat.” Jabnil said “I think I just learned an important lesson. I wish to celebrate” Jabnil explained.

“Ok …” Flitter agreed a bit reluctantly. Reaver just suggested his shoulders, and put his rapier away. Solar angel may be deadly … but they also kept their word. He was no longer in danger, unless he acted in an evil way. As everyone took their seats at the table, Jabnil waved to the barkeep again, this time her heavy breasts were not hidden by the cloak and swayed back and forth which caused gasps of ecstasy from the patrons that were watching.

Jabnil grabbed her cloak off the floor and slipped it on. Then she took her seat “My name is Jabnil, this is my friend Caitwyn” Jabnil introduced.

“My name is Flitter and this is Reaver” The pixie said. Reaver simple nodded to everyone “Reaver does not talk very much. It is just his nature. Please don’t be offended.” Flitter explained. Jabnil looked over to the half elf for his introduction.
 
Red and Jura

Red and Jura had not gone straight to the bar. Red told Jura she wanted to show him the small village first. She also wanted to make sure everyone in the village saw the monstrous minotaur. Although this was a rough and wild village, Jura’s black dragon appearance would definitely shock these people. Black dragons were found in swamp and the tropics, and generally ate people that got too close to their lairs. Black dragons had very bad tempers. Red decided that Jura walking with her was a good demonstration that he was not a danger to the villagers.

As they walked along the quay wall in the middle of the dirt road the two made quite a couple. Jura had decided to dress in his fighting armor.

“Nicest clothing I have” He told Red. He wore thick leather leggings with plate metal shin and thigh guards, a large belt held up his leggings. A great battle axe slung over his back, and his powerful chest was covered with leather and chain links. He was about 7 feet tall. He was a massively built creature with rippling muscles. His eyes were fiery, and the small smoke trails that drifted from his nose spoke of his dragon heritage.

Next to him was Red. She was a strikingly beautiful pirate. She wore her trademark cargo like pants with all the pockets, and sewn in large scabbard which held her cutlass. But most of the men’s eyes never saw her pants … as they were glued on her bare and sexy mid-drift or her impressively large breasts contained within a sleeveless white laced top. If anyone wonder who this beautiful woman was, a look at the blue bandanna, red hair and the shock lizard on her shoulder answered that question. She was “Red” a pirate that sailed with Captain Harrigan’s thugs.

There was another difference between the two. Red had a huge smile on her face, while Jura had a worried look on his. As they walked along the quay wall road the people of the village stayed out of their way.

“I told you” Jura grumbled.

“They are just being careful. Take no offense.” Red said in a chipper mood “Over there … those are the fishing docks” Red pointed out the first series of docks. Three small dinghies were tied to the docks under a canopy made of wooden poles and dried palm fronds.

They continued and the next series of docks were Rickety’s long boat was tied up. There were some sun-darkened workers on these docks, sitting on casks and slicing ropes, and mending nets.

“Hey where is the Islewise?” Red called over to them. One of them stood up. There was fear in his eyes as he looked over to Jura. “She went to Bloodcove fer supplies. Won’t be back fer a pair weeks” He explained. Islewise was a large ship used by Rickety.

Red nodded and they continue over to the small street market. Red helped Jura buy a few cloths and other items he needed. This turned out to be a good idea as one of the merchant froze when his eyes looked into Jura’s. Red needed to shake the merchant to get him out of the “dragon” freeze.

As they walked over to the bar, Red asked Jura about the frozen merchant.

“Does that happen often?” She asked.

“No … only with weak minded folks … non-fighters and the like” He grunted.

“You are full of surprises, Jura” Red said as the Minotaur opened the bar door for her and they entered the bar.

The bar was very full now with almost no place to sit down. The crowded situation did not however cause for Red or Jura any trouble to find Luca, Reaver, Flitter. They were at one of the louder tables with two of the women, the blonde and the busty Halfling, Red had seen watch the Orchid of the Sea enter the dry dock. There were also a lot of empty glasses on the table!!
 
Once peace was restored to the tavern, Caitwyn returned to their table and hopped back up into her chair next to Jabnil. Her giant mug (by halfling standards) of rum was still waiting for her, and she was quick to draw another sip. Just a day ago she was both the prettiest and shortest girl in this dive, and now all of a sudden she held neither distinction .

“My name is Flitter and this is Reaver”

"Heya," the halfling smiled over edge of her mug. "Nice to meet ya. I'm Caitwyn -- drinker of rum and singer of songs. Make my coin by keeping spirits up around this place. What port are ya'll from?" she asked conversationally and drew another sip.

Shortly after the tavern's doors swung open again and in walked a confident, gorgeous redhead that knocked the halfling yet another rung down the list of prettiest girls in the port, and accompanied by a massive creature that was as terrifying as she was beautiful. Oh gods, here we go again... the little halfling groaned to herself, then looked towards Jabnil. "You're not... gonna... you know again, are ya?"
 
Blade and Artus Shemwick

Artus Shemwick was the seedy underbelly of Rickety’s squib. Artus was a human and part-time cook for the local bar. He had headed over to the bar when he saw the ship come in, so he was working today. However the meal was a bowl of stew, so even though the bar was full of pirates, he was not too busy.

Artus was part fence … part information broker … part thieves’ guild. He was peeling potatoes for more stew when he noticed someone behind him. Someone with a great deal of skill had snuck into the kitchen and was now behind him. Artus did not turn around. Instead he said in an indifferent voice “Blade … I should have known it was you. What do you want? Can’t you see I’m busy earning a living in this piss hole of a village”
 
Flitter

Flitter smiled at Caitwyn’s question “We are a free ship, no one owns us! So we are from no port. Our home is the ship.” She said proudly. Then Red and Jura walked into the bar. All eyes turned to watch both Jabnil and the new comers.

"You're not... gonna... you know again, are ya?" Caitwyn asked Jabnil

The mostly human solar angel took a deep breath and sighed before answering Caitwyn question.

“I have faced off against the vilest of the vile … devils, demons, necromancers, mind flayers, even a few demi-gods. All these missions were to save this world. Doom and Gloom all the time … it can get a bit oppressive. I think Erastil wants me to take a break. So … no … I plan to sit here until that … dragonbull thing starts to eat people and then maybe … if I feel like it … I’ll try to stop it.” Jabnil answered acting more confident in her reasoning than she really was.

Flitter giggled “Well … the redhead is our captain. Her name is Isabelle … but everyone calls her Red. And the dragon minotaur is Jura, our gunner’s mate. They will most like be joining us”

"Oh great!" Jabnil sighed even more

Sure enough Jura and Red headed over to the group’s table.

“I see Luca and Reaver had no trouble finding some bed warmers for tonight” Red said looking at the two men and the two beautiful women at the table.

“Capt’n …. You are jumping to conclusions” Reaver stated before Luca could say anything.

“Yes Capt’n this is Jabnil and Caitwyn” Flitter added “Jabnil almost got into a fight over a small misunderstanding with Reaver. However Caitwyn, Luca and I helped break it up. Jabnil offered to make amends and buy us all drinks.” Flitter explained.

Red eye brow went up “Really!” she said think about what kind of woman would want to take on Reaver. He was one of the best fighter on her ship, only Blade was better. She would need to keep an eye on the blonde in the purple cloak. Red took a seat and Jura found a strong casket to seat on.

“Well … I know how crazy Luca and Flitter are … what caused you to get between their swords?” Red asked Caitwyn “and please tell us your story … we have all been to sea many weeks and a story would be good entertainment. And tell us of the news in Shackles” Red asked the Halfling.
 
Blade

He plucked up an apple and took a bite, "You an assassin now? Earning your living by poisoning innocent pirates?" The mild-mannered squibeling was usual between them, they both disliked each other, Blade disliked that the thieves guild's information hinged on this rather pathetic thief. Sure the stories about him was great, but Blade also knew that enough silver crossed palms to gain that reputation. Artus on the other hand disliked Blade because Blade was everything he was not and he also had the friendship of the fiery Red.

"What do you want?"

The question almost dripped with venom, Blade took another bite, taking a seat on the table, swinging his legs in a child-like fashion. "News. I have been at sea a long, long time." Artus snorted as he dumped the potatoes into the pot, "You know the rule." Blade gave an exagerated sigh, "No trust among honest thieves anymore." He plucked a cold coin and with a flick of his wrist, tossed it next to Artus' hands.
 
Artus and Blade

Artus caught the coin and tested it to make sure it was real. It was and it was more coin than he was expecting from Blade. Captain Barnabas Harrigan’s men almost never paid for anything. They usually just beat it out of people like him. Blade had never done that … but Blade was still an asshole.

Blade had uncovered Artus’ little sex scam and ruined it. Artus had sold some Andoran made bras and panties to some of the young and beautiful local native women. There was a small problem, Artus had treated the underwear with a potion of itching. The local dimwitted natives came back to him asking why they were itching and what was the cure. Artus said it was some kind of black magic curse … but the cure was a healthy amount of his fresh “man seed”. He had a pretty good thing going there until Blade showed up and told the ladies to wash the potion off with blessed water.

“Feeling generous I see” Artus said to Blade “well … here is what I know. The Empire of Cheliax has sent a few pirate hunter ships into the Shackles. They are pretty pissed about the free captains ruining their oversea exports. So you might want to lay low for a while. Also the Aspis Consortium near Bloodcove is fuming. Some free captain keeps grabbing their ships and cargo. They have launched a reprisal against all free captains. So stay away from that area.”

Blade knew of the notorious Aspis Consortium. It was basically a bunch of thieves/assassins that now made their money like regular merchants. Only major difference is if they could not get market share with their products … they would simply “kill” off the competition … literally! Blade also knew Artus worked in secret with the Aspis consortium to get his information and fence any stolen goods.

“Two ships of interest are the Sea Chanty which is full of slaves and The Waterhen with a cargo of gems and gold. I don’t have too much more to report. There has been a rise in the water demon attacks. Not sure what that is all about.

Locally there is a redheaded elf in town … I think she is a spy for the Cheliax Empire. She is quiet and watches everything. There is also a naked blonde chick in town … and she is fucking everything that walks and is male. I would recommend staying away from her. There is something not quite right about her. ” Artus finished.

“Anything else you want to know about?” he asked snidely
 
Huzti Soul Reaper

Huzti soul reaper had lived on this plane of existence for many, many years and as a result had grown to a huge size compared to other underwater shadow demons. Huzti was an ogre-sized creature but still had the scaly skin, webbed fingers and sharp fangs filled mouth. It also had a tail, with a fin on the end and large bug like eyes that were completely black and filled with evil. It’s chief assistant, Kracluz, floated next to it as they traveled along the underwater passageway.

Everything in the passageway was desolation, lifeless, and without movement. The passageway was cold, but not in temperature in spirit. If someone focused hard to see through the desolation … they would find a hint of laughter, a laughter more terrible than any sadness — a laughter that was mirthless and cold. A laughter of grimness and unstoppable death. It was the laugher of the futility of life on this planet against the power of the shadow demons.

“Organics think time is serial … but in reality it has no order.” Huzti explained to Kracluz. “We shall use that lack of understanding against the living creatures of this world.”

Kracluz simply nodded his bug liked head. Huzti and Kracluz entered a chamber filled with hammerhead sharks. The sharks were in a feeding frenzy and tearing at the remains of a human body, ripping it to pieces. The sharks paid no attention to their demon masters as Huzti moved to the back of the chamber and pressed upon the rock wall. A secret door opened up and again both shadow demons entered the secret crypt.

In the darkened cave, a ship’s anchor was driven into the ground. The heavy chain from the anchor was coiled around the skeletal remains of a murdered sea captain. The rotten remains of the captain’s coat still hung from the skeleton’s frame. Dangling from the skeleton’s neck was a strange looking silver pendant. Who this betrayed captain was … could not be determined.

There was a very strong aura of despair near the skeleton. This did not bother Huzti one bit, however the waters were also cursed. The curse was so foul that nothing could breathe near the skeleton. Huzti did not get that close.

“Ancient Mariner …wake up” Huzti ordered.

The skeleton’s eyes started to glow as the sound of the skeleton’s voice haunted the room.

“Ahoy … Shark Bait” The skeleton said back to the extra large shadow demon knowing that name irritated the demon.

“Show Kracluz what you showed me about the future” Huzti ordered in a firm voice.

“Ye can go fuck a sea urchin, ye parrot-loving, mutinous rogue!” The skeleton said back

Huzti hands glowed and the skeleton started to scream in terrible pain. “Must we do this each time?” the demon asked. The spell and screaming went on for quite some time until the skeleton’s eyes faded away. Then Huzti ended the spell.

As the skeleton came back to life Huzti ordered “Show Kracluz the images”

The skeleton shook its head back and forth in the “no” answer. Huzti hands started to glow again.

“Ok … Ye win” The skeleton said defeated

“The spell is effective” Huzti said to Kracluz. Before the other demon could answer the skeleton spoke again

“Na … Yer face be deadlier, ye sorry, scurvy-infested, bilge-drinkin' swabby!” the skeleton stated.

Images started to appear of a small village near a river in the jungle. As the image zoomed in it showed a beautiful redhead woman with a lizard on her shoulder … Captain Red! Next to her were Blade, Nya, Jura, Luca, Reaver and Flitter. The image moved into the market area and focused on Jabnil, Caitwyn and Amlugeth. Then the image faded to black and was gone.

“Those are the people that threaten our plan. Attack that village and kill everyone in it. EVERYONE!” Huzti ordered Kracluz. The human sized demon nodded in the affirmative and left the chamber. That strange laughter of grimness and unstoppable death returned to the air around Huzti. The demon was smiling. He thought “How can anyone stop them? When they, the demons, knew who the threat was … before the threat knew to stop the shadow demons!”
 
Amlugeth stood up when Jabnil first confronted the male pirate. Now, she admitted he did look evil, but then she saw a lot of other pirates who have looked evil also. What was it about him that made Jabnil so quickly want to kill him? She watched as the pixie got between Jabnil and the pirate, now how could he be evil if a pixie was helping him? Pixies don't usually get close to evil. They are mischievous and fun, but they are not evil. Caitwyn and a half-elf were finally able to calm Jabnil down, wait, did she say she had magical swords? Amlugeth watched them all head back to the table and with that she slowly slide back into her chair.

As she was watching the room she thought she saw someone head into the kitchen but wasn't sure. Before she could decide to check it out some more people, well one person and one she wasn't sure what it was, entered the bar. She watched them pause and then head over to Jabnil's table. Listening closely she heard the pixie call the woman "Capt'n".

Hmm, a woman captain was rare, but this one seemed to have the respect of the others, not fear. Amlugeth was interested in learning more about this captain so carefully listened to what they were saying.
 
“Well … I know how crazy Luca and Flitter are … what caused you to get between their swords?” Red asked Caitwyn “and please tell us your story … we have all been to sea many weeks and a story would be good entertainment. And tell us of the news in Shackles” Red asked the Halfling.

"Well, that's quite a lot to cover," Caitwyn smiled while settling into her seat and gathered her thoughts. "I helped stop the fight because it was the right thing to do. I hate people being punished for nothing more than how they look, and also don't care for anything that would encourage people to think all ports are nothing but lawless scum and villainy where every tavern is home to a drunken brawl.

"As for what's been happening around these parts," the halfling continued, "I hear little squeaks here and there, but can't promise the validity of any of it. Most lads hop off a boat looking to spread tales taller than your friend there," she grinned and nodded towards the... dragon-taur? Dracotaur? She didn't know what to call him other than 'big'.

"Word has it the Chelish are running low on slaves in their infernal kingdom and looking to the Shackles as a new source. A few ships have gone missing and one of their galleys was seen north of here overflowing with chained men atop the deck.

"Another tale I've heard, although a bit more fanciful than that, is some manner of shadow demon has taken to the deeps to breed. It's said no sun can penetrate the deepest waters, which makes it the perfect home for such fowl creatures. If they can contend with the other nasties that call the Deeps home...

"And then there's poor Bloodcove," she continued after a sip of her rum. "Lad from the Sunken Stone said they couldn't make port there. Civil unrest... said the mayor was killed by some cult worshiping a monster -- floating one-eyed ball with a dozen little tentacle stalks, each with an eye of it's own, scattered about its head. Sounds like nonsense if ya ask me, but odd stories have been true.

"And then there's tale of one Captain Harigan. Word is he found himself a treasure... one lad said he found it buried on an isle like in the old tales, another said he claimed it from some royal as payment for a job unknown. But regardless, it's said he's sitting on enough coin to sink him, if you catch my meaning..."
 
Blade

He bit off the last bite of the apple and chewed thoughtfully as he looked at Artus, "How about new news...old friend." He gave Artus a cheery grin, but already he was starting to have doubts about Artus. The news was not what he had heard snippets of as he came here, in fact the news smelled stale. One thing Blade really hated was to be told old news disguised as new news, in fact he hated being lied to as well. Thieves, well real thieves guided under rule of the Guild, never lied to another member of said Guild. Stealing from a fellow thief was allowed, hell it was encouraged, it kept thieves sharp and stopped them from becoming lax. But lieing to another thief, that was just asking for a slit throat.
 
Luca had a rebuttal for the oddity that was Jabnil and her apology for her lack of etiquette, but her turning and bending to address the little folk distracted him. He was by no means entranced by the sight, he could have continued if he wanted, but hostilities seemed to have stopped, so eyecandy was allowed a higher standing on his list of priorities. He did however maintain enough attention to things not peach shaped to note that the little pixie did appear to be corroborating Jabnils story as far as the inhuman part went, which meant he was actually defending a fiend in all likelihood, fun times.

Luckily for everyone involved, reason prevailed, and then they free booze became a thing, the successes were just piling up for Luca. He listened to the introductions, and was going to give one of his own until he and everyone else was distracted by Red and Jura entrance, which was quite a feat considering how many people had their eyes glued to Jabnils assets up until that point. Some exposition followed on Jabnils part, Luca still wasn't 100% sold on her divinity, but she at least knew the type kill list to claim, after that the Captain and the hulk that was Jura joined them, leading to some jokes and an offhand introduction for Luca by the Captain when she said his name, which was enough for him.

It was the next set of information that really peaked Lucas interest though, every line from Caitwyns lips was a big juicy hook to him, and on the last one he took the bait. "So treasure you say?" Luca asked, leaning in to ensure he heard the response, his eyes lit up with less greed and more of a child like curiosity "I am a fan of treasure." Luca didn't really care for the treasure itself, it, like most material wealth, would never be as captivating as the moment just before he obtained it, but that moment made it all worth it.
 
Back
Top