Looking for good stories in order to learn style

Right. And it's mostly because most English speakers can't speak any other language and make no effort to.

Except for you who I am sure is fluent in 300 languages. and created 100 more dialects while traveling around the world in an airplane you made with rubber bands and bamboo so you could fly around the world and prove it was round before Columbus did.

One of my favorite methods of exposing the fraudulence of many language and style mavens is to find an example of one of the masters violating their arbitrary rules and ask where they get off thinking they know English style better.

Also language changes. The reason why so many people get lie/lay wrong is that the conjugations are irregular, some of the conjugations are homophonous, and the meanings are similar. Speakers of a language loathe such confusion and over time the speakers just leave the self-proclaimed guardians of grammar behind.

I don't like that passage from Lawrence, but it isn't because of sentences starting with "And". Instead, I find the imagery jarring. Lust circling a man's knees? Feeling compassion in your bowels? I read that and I am knocked out of the text, asking, "what the fuck?"

Recent research shows that as much as half of the serotonin system in our body isn't in our brains, but in our guts. So maybe we really do feel compassion in our bowels. (I love D.H.L.)

Recent research shows that as much as half of the serotonin system in our body isn't in our brains, but in our guts. So maybe we really do feel compassion in our bowels. (I love D.H.L.)

My admiration for your authorial loyalty extends from the depths of my pancreas.

:)

So I guess you're not referring to the big trucks?

http://t3.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmOShkZGaOrFcfZPBupJpqTEI5vOBITQMLECjxPT3txqi5Uc0i0A

Back