The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Yes, running a writer's group can be a balancing act that not everyone does well. I do have a degree to teach English but I'm also a strong believer in the vernacular. I also have some people with unique voices that defy conventional usage. We regularly have 15 - 20 people at a meeting. My request to people is that if you're going to offer critique to someone to help them improve, you first state something you liked, even if it's just a word choice. On the whole, it's pretty balanced. I find people coming to our group are energized to write and just writing more helps a writer improve. Couple that with constructive critique about what works and what doesn't, and I've watched their writing improve by leaps and bounds. I've had visiting writer's express how impressed they are by how the group runs and writer's who have left contact me to lament that they can't find a good group. I think we have a winning formula here. I should probably write an article about it.

Please do, Mags. :rose:
Perhaps you might like to think about doing that Group on the Web ?
They don't do such things round here.

Tx mentioned an "Electric" thing. I've just had to crawl (very difficult with my knees) under my worktop to fix an electric lead to my PC. It was not easy.

So, if there's a cup of coffee going spare, I'd love one

MP, what HP said.

HP, get down and crawling isn't my problem. Getting back up afterwards is a pain in so many places.

Spare cup? Have a whole pot. ;)

Uh, maybe I shouldn't ask, but inquiring minds and all that.

One double black coming up.

Nothing so sinister as Tanstaafl's hound bravely defending the household, but the night did not go well much after 0330. SO had a rough night. They got back to sleep. Teddy got back to sleep. Ich? Not so much.

Anyway, thanks for the brew. Humanity is starting to resurface.

Please do, Mags. :rose:
Perhaps you might like to think about doing that Group on the Web ?
They don't do such things round here.

Tx mentioned an "Electric" thing. I've just had to crawl (very difficult with my knees) under my worktop to fix an electric lead to my PC. It was not easy.

So, if there's a cup of coffee going spare, I'd love one

I definitely am going to do the article. The web group might be more than I can handle at the moment but I'll give it some thought.

I definitely am going to do the article. The web group might be more than I can handle at the moment but I'll give it some thought.

The "Story Feedback" forum seems to be trying to become a writer's online group. They have a problem that KeithD pointed out a few days ago. If the active players post their own story for feedback then the feedback they get tends to be either fluff and nonsense or outright cannibalism, with little in between.

Feedback for other writers seems to work okay.

Ye gods,
the temperature has fallen by two degrees (to about 88F).
Is there any coffee left please ?>

Home sick. I'll be in my blanket fort with the zinc lozenges, honey lemon tea, and a little TV set to watch Supernatural on.

Last edited:
Morning, sort of, all,

I'm not sure if I had food poisoning or some kind of a bug that hit me suddenly but yesterday afternoon and last night were not pretty to say the least. Sick, sick, sick, is not saying enough but anything else would be too much.

I'm feeling somewhat better this morning. I did finally get a little sleep and there is a nap in my near future hopefully. My tummy is still rumbling some but everything is under control so far.

Fresh coffee is ready and yes, I wore a mask and gloves to prepare it.

Morning, sort of, all,

I'm not sure if I had food poisoning or some kind of a bug that hit me suddenly but yesterday afternoon and last night were not pretty to say the least. Sick, sick, sick, is not saying enough but anything else would be too much.

I'm feeling somewhat better this morning. I did finally get a little sleep and there is a nap in my near future hopefully. My tummy is still rumbling some but everything is under control so far.

Fresh coffee is ready and yes, I wore a mask and gloves to prepare it.

:rose:

HP, your flowers got zonked by Lit for some reason.

MP, :kiss:

TP, I think of it as an extension of a funny farm somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm feeling better but.... Still not quite up to speed. I did get a nap and eat some lunch. Tomorrow is another day says Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

TP, I think of it as an extension of a funny farm somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm feeling better but.... Still not quite up to speed. I did get a nap and eat some lunch. Tomorrow is another day says Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

Look after yourself Tex. You need to be in good shape to act as bait for those Australian drop bears.

On a less humorous note, don't push it. Just take it easy until you're recovered. It's tough not to get going until your fully over it but just put your feet up and take the time. Big hug.

If it is food poisoning, my handy tip is to eat *fresh cut* pineapple because the bromelain works wonders. But avoid it if you're sensitive to acidity. Feel better and get some rest, Tex.

I'll try again with some flowers. Thanks for the warning !
Erm . . Chicken Soup perhaps ?

If it is food poisoning, my handy tip is to eat *fresh cut* pineapple because the bromelain works wonders. But avoid it if you're sensitive to acidity. Feel better and get some rest, Tex.

Would that be "fresh cut as in 'just harvested' or 'fresh cut' as in taken from the supermarket shelf and cut up at home, I wonder.

Would that be "fresh cut as in 'just harvested' or 'fresh cut' as in taken from the supermarket shelf and cut up at home, I wonder.

I believe it's just that you need the whole fruit, as opposed to anything processed (juice, canned) in which the bromelain is gone and there's no protein-digesting enzymes left to destroy what ails you.

💐

'Cause sick young ladies need flowers. They teach that in med skule...

Ah, Flowers are the thing, as I understand it. So here you are:-

Thank you :rose:

Good Morning, one & all.
We got bright sunshine and a gentle breeze, and some weird clouds.
And following a bit more work on my small tower PC, it seems to work (Plugs were the wrong way round).

And it is now time for the Coffee.

A good morning to the worker bees of this site!

I do hope that Tex and those Magica eyes are feeling better.

Morning all,

I was out and about bright and early this morning. I needed to get the A/C unit in the truck serviced. It was starting to blow only cool air. It had been six years since I last serviced it. Now it'll freeze your nipples off. :eek:

I'm feeling a lot better. Not perfect but a lot better. Perfect is long past, I'm afraid. Got the novel finished and sent off. Worked on a couple of stories for the Summer contest. I might just get one done, if I'm not careful.

Fresh coffee for the mid morning crew.

Ah, coffee; what a pleasant effect that is.
I've managed to loose a decent screwdriver under the cabinet that supports my computer.
Getting it out will rival the effort made for those Tai schoolkids, I fear.

Back