Considering getting back into writing...

I'm seriously considering getting back into writing. Specifically to write about my real life experience with an amazing lover who parted ways with me 2 years ago this Halloween. I think about him often- even after 2 years. I have tried several avenues to "get over it" but nothing works. I am wondering if writing about it might be the best way to release the tension and memory. Thoughts?

Story that relives the passion of an ex lover may not get you there, however, a story about a stranger that has all the things you wanted from you ex - well, that's different.

I'm seriously considering getting back into writing. Specifically to write about my real life experience with an amazing lover who parted ways with me 2 years ago this Halloween. I think about him often- even after 2 years. I have tried several avenues to "get over it" but nothing works. I am wondering if writing about it might be the best way to release the tension and memory. Thoughts?

Catharsis from writing about a past lover can help you move on, yes. It depends how deep into your own heart you let yourself go. It can be powerful stuff, and very moving because of the truth in the telling.

I did it myself, in this story cycle (four parts):

https://www.literotica.com/s/memory-and-loss-pt-01

Interestingly, some readers didn't like it because hearts got broken; others were moved by the story because of the broken hearts.

I've written extensively about my own experiences, and achieving an emotional catharsis was a major part of my motivation in doing so.

It was therapeutic for me, but I will say that it was often a very painful process. In the end, though, it was definitely worth it.

Electricblue is right, though, there will be readers who are looking for escapism and are put off by stories that demand a deeper emotional commitment. But if your purpose is personal closure, that isn't really relevant to you.

Good luck with your writing.

Would luv to read it. ;) Welcome.

I am wondering if writing about it might be the best way to release the tension and memory. Thoughts?

I've done it and let my wife read it. I felt much better for the experience and it's helped me move on. Especially since wifey came to me and told me she hadn't realized I felt that way.

With an old lover getting them to read it isn't possible but even just writing it out felt great. It allowed me to organize my thoughts and feelings and somehow reading it didn't seem as bad as imagining it.

Imagination is a wonderful thing but it can also be destructive. Writing it make it more real and takes away the imaginative dark side.

Go for it!

Writing it is certainly beneficial. Submitting it in that form is another issue altogether. Once done, it's done. I think writing a parallel fiction piece for submission--a two-step operation; writing it as you see it (which won't be an objective depiction) in step one and changing it to a commercial fiction piece in step two--would be something you wouldn't regret down the road.

Back