Story set in old Hollywood?

vintagelady

Really Experienced
I have written a draft for a story set in old Hollywood, with one particular actor whose been dead for 50+ years. I am looking for similar stories or if this has not done, do you think anyone would be interested in such a story?

I have written a draft for a story set in old Hollywood, with one particular actor whose been dead for 50+ years. I am looking for similar stories or if this has not done, do you think anyone would be interested in such a story?
I certainly hope so. I'm slowly cooking a tale about an actual prominent set designer in the late 1920s. He was nominated for the first Oscars and certainly had access to numerous starlets and extras. I'm undecided about using his real name. That's a juicy period for erotic tales, back before birth control, antibiotics, mobile phones, and modern attitudes.

Don't ask about readers -- ask if YOU are interested in writing the tale. If it turns you on, do it. We write for ourselves here.

I certainly hope so. I'm slowly cooking a tale about an actual prominent set designer in the late 1920s. He was nominated for the first Oscars and certainly had access to numerous starlets and extras. I'm undecided about using his real name. That's a juicy period for erotic tales, back before birth control, antibiotics, mobile phones, and modern attitudes.

Don't ask about readers -- ask if YOU are interested in writing the tale. If it turns you on, do it. We write for ourselves here.

Sounds excellent. I am talking about a similar period. I LOVE silent movies and that period. A very each time. I would really love to read your story when it is finished.

I use Hollywood and vintage actors (modeling on them; not direct celebrity writes) in my stories sometimes. I had a taste of Hollywood (and actors).

A pen name novella I have in review now parallels the mid 1950s Texas shoot of the movie Giant and includes Rock Hudson and James Dean-like characters. Rock Hudson figures more directly in my recently posted GM story "The Lighthouse Keeper" (and also has parallels to Giant). So, yes, I think you'll find readers for this. I think, though, that the more you can keep away from the celebrity aspect--using a real person--the better, as, whereas readers get a little thrill of recognizing who the character is modeled on they have their own preconceived notions of real actors/actresses, which may be at odds with the way you depict them with the result of ticking off the reader. Some readers are ticked off just by the use of a real person without their agreement.

I'd be interested in reading lesbian erotica set in old Hollywood. Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, Tallulah Bankhead, and other actresses from the 1920's and 30's were known for having affairs with other women, and would make for an alluring cast of characters imho. In later years I believe Marylin Monroe had lesbian dalliances, and then there's these well known photos of Sophia Loren & Jayne Mansfield for inspiration...

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Mansfield.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9c/61/4e/9c614ed182cb13a1b60355d2f9e552c1.jpg

Vintgagelady, I am also interested in silent movies and have seen many. I plan to list a number of silent movies with stories about women in the thread “Women.”

Moonlight and Roses,

I use Hollywood and vintage actors (modeling on them; not direct celebrity writes) in my stories sometimes. I had a taste of Hollywood (and actors).

A pen name novella I have in review now parallels the mid 1950s Texas shoot of the movie Giant and includes Rock Hudson and James Dean-like characters. Rock Hudson figures more directly in my recently posted GM story "The Lighthouse Keeper" (and also has parallels to Giant). So, yes, I think you'll find readers for this. I think, though, that the more you can keep away from the celebrity aspect--using a real person--the better, as, whereas readers get a little thrill of recognizing who the character is modeled on they have their own preconceived notions of real actors/actresses, which may be at odds with the way you depict them with the result of ticking off the reader. Some readers are ticked off just by the use of a real person without their agreement.

I personally enjoy erotic stories with a foundation setting in actual history. So I would read such a story as the OP is considering. I was going to say something along the lines of what 'sr71' did above. It makes sense in a lot of ways, I think. But no doubt, there are exceptions too.

It sounds interesting to me. I've always loved mysteries set in old Hollywood.
Let me suggest a mainstream fave of mine, Barbara Hambly's Bride of the Rat God: "Chrysanda Flamande was the sultriest vamp of the silver screen in Hollywood, California, in the year 1923. Then an elderly Chinese gentleman warned her that a trinket she'd worn in her last movie had marked her to be the bride of an ancient devil-god of Manchuria. Now the Rat God is stalking closer, and Chrysanda is discovering that there's no mousetrap big enough to keep her from being dragged unwilling to the altar!" Warning: Barb is obsessed with Pekinese dogs as transformative mystical demon-hunters.

The set designer I mentioned above worked on the 1925 Ben-Hur as well as major '30's western and vampire flicks. There's room for EH and IR elements in those episodes, hey?

A pen name novella I have in review now parallels the mid 1950s Texas shoot of the movie Giant and includes Rock Hudson and James Dean-like characters. Rock Hudson figures more directly in my recently posted GM story "The Lighthouse Keeper" (and also has parallels to Giant). So, yes, I think you'll find readers for this. I think, though, that the more you can keep away from the celebrity aspect--using a real person--the better, as, whereas readers get a little thrill of recognizing who the character is modeled on they have their own preconceived notions of real actors/actresses, which may be at odds with the way you depict them with the result of ticking off the reader. Some readers are ticked off just by the use of a real person without their agreement.[/Qcrus

No, I totally understand that. I used to write short pieces about a very little known actor from 1930's, that were purely amongst fellow fans that had the same crush. Latterly expanded these stories into a serial, but changed the actors name and purely used him as inspiration. I think that's what I'll do here. Thanks for the advice.

I'd be interested in reading lesbian erotica set in old Hollywood. Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, Tallulah Bankhead, and other actresses from the 1920's and 30's were known for having affairs with other women, and would make for an alluring cast of characters imho. In later years I believe Marylin Monroe had lesbian dalliances, and then there's these well known photos of Sophia Loren & Jayne Mansfield for inspiration...

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Mansfield.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9c/61/4e/9c614ed182cb13a1b60355d2f9e552c1.jpg

Funnily enough I was thinking of a Dietrich based character. My story is set around the emigre Hollywood community of the 1930's.

Funnily enough I was thinking of a Dietrich based character. My story is set around the emigre Hollywood community of the 1930's.
Many hot German and Hungarian talents there and then. A few French and Brits, too. Can you drop any names?

THE LITTLE SISTER by Raymond Chandler is the book you want. The novel is about Hollywood actors and agents and producers etc. Chandler was a Hollywood screen writer of merit. He instinctively knew how to transform a story to the screen.

THE GODFATHER by Mario Puzo features some Hollywood action.

Many hot German and Hungarian talents there and then. A few French and Brits, too. Can you drop any names?

You know what? I think I will leave it as a mystery, for now. The individual I am basing my story on, I think is hot, but would not be considered by others.

THE LITTLE SISTER by Raymond Chandler is the book you want. The novel is about Hollywood actors and agents and producers etc. Chandler was a Hollywood screen writer of merit. He instinctively knew how to transform a story to the screen.

THE GODFATHER by Mario Puzo features some Hollywood action.

I have read The Godfather and a few of the Philip Marlow's, so The Little Sister is definitely on my reading list now. Also the Noir films may feature strongly.

Thanks for all the ideas, really appreciate this everyone.

I actually work in Hollywood - I can put you in touch with some historians if you like. Each of the major studios employs historians, and they have small museums on their lots.

Recently, a friend was poking around one of the stages on the Paramount lot, which actually has a sub basement (so you can do platforms that go down into the floor, for the old dance numbers) and found a ton of old camera's and lights from some of Cecil B Demilles very old stuff.

Love this idea. You're probably way ahead of me, but Kenneth Anger's 'Hollywood Babylon' books contain a wealth of old Hollywood legends and imagery. Many of the stories ARE simply legends, scurrilous and nasty tales that people wanted to believe about their idols, but it is a potent source of dark imaginings.

I love old Hollywood so I'd certainly be interested in reading such a story if written.

Back