Writing stories on iPads/other tablets - Does it suck for you too?

I find the best thing for my writing is actually my LG phone using SWYPE and Google docs. I can type about as fast with that as a regular keyboard. I even find regular computers let alone tablets cumbersome compared to my phone now.
 
Judging by frequent incorrect spelling of similarly pronounced words, I think that some authors may be experimenting with voice recognition to “write” their stories. It would certainly be a fast way to dump thoughts onto a tablet. Lots of manual editing would be required though.

Is anyone actually using voice recognition to input their stories?

I have used Windows Speech Recognition on my desktop for various tasks. But it has many shortcomings, at least for me. I often have to speak very slowly, it often chooses the wrong word, and is very sensitive to random noise like breaths or keyboard clicking noise which result in stray words. Very sensitive to positioning of the microphone. Often need to reset the Sound Levels in Control Panel.

I use a Logitech H390 headset/mic. I have gone through the calibration and speec training exercises etc..

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
 
Judging by frequent incorrect spelling of similarly pronounced words, I think that some authors may be experimenting with voice recognition to “write” their stories. It would certainly be a fast way to dump thoughts onto a tablet. Lots of manual editing would be required though.

Is anyone actually using voice recognition to input their stories?

My kids would laugh their asses off at me if I tried this. And since I sometimes watch my granddaughter, I'd hate for her first sentence have something to do with someone's thick cock, or erect nipples LOL!!!

My preferred way of writing is pen and paper. I actually splurged last week at O'Hare and bought a fancy leather journal. I've been too afraid to write anything in it yet though.

I have crates full of full composition notebooks. Random bits of stories, starts of stories, endings, whole stories, sentences I like, just mostly ramblings that I threaten my friends that when I do finally decide life is shit and I'm done, all my notebooks will be their burden to sort through!

I also type/write on my laptop. I've tried writing on my phone, an android if it makes any difference, and it sucks and not something I like to do, but works in a pinch if I have an idea and didn't bring a notebook.
 
Well, I went and did the stupid thing and updated to OS 12 before waiting for the inevitable Hypercare patch that will come out next week.

But the first thing I noticed is that the god awful “undo” button is now much smaller, and, most importantly, the size of the space bar doesn’t change to accommodate it.

I also like the fact that I can now budget the amount of time I waste on social media apps and to force me to write by having Pages be the only app without a time limit. Yes, I could override the timelocks, but that reminder to stop-fucking-around-and-write is typically all I need to exert some self control.
 
The motherfuckers switched the position of the “.?123” button and the emoji button. I keep trying to type apostrophes and wind up with yellow kids performing dogeza 🙇*♀️🙇*♂️ and fake white power gang signs and shit.
 
For what it’s worth, I use the Microsoft Word (Office) App on my iPad. I save my documents to Microsoft One Drive which allows me to open my documents at home and work on my PC and take advantage of all of the Word features. I purchased Pages 2 iPads ago and never cared for it.
 
The motherfuckers switched the position of the “.?123” button and the emoji button. I keep trying to type apostrophes and wind up with yellow kids performing dogeza 🙇*♀️🙇*♂️ and fake white power gang signs and shit.

Well, I finally got used to the new positions for the emoji and “.?123” buttons...and in the 12.01 update, the motherfuckers are putting them back where they used to be.

GOD DAMMIT AND FUCK
 
I have essential tremors, so I can't use anything with a keyboard smaller than a desk top or larger laptop. And I have to use a mouse with the laptop; I can't use the touchpad. It's too sensitive for my tremors, which aren't bad yet, but they already necessitate a standard-sized keyboard. So smaller electronics, including texting iPhones are pretty out of my realm.
 
I switch between an iMac, a MacBook Pro and an iPad mini depending on circumstances.

I run my stories through onedrive which allows me to work on up to date copies provided I have wifi. Even when I don't have wifi I can save onto local and upload at a later date.
 
I have used Windows Speech Recognition on my desktop for various tasks. But it has many shortcomings, at least for me. I often have to speak very slowly, it often chooses the wrong word, and is very sensitive to random noise like breaths or keyboard clicking noise which result in stray words. Very sensitive to positioning of the microphone. Often need to reset the Sound Levels in Control Panel.

I use a Logitech H390 headset/mic. I have gone through the calibration and speec training exercises etc..

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Step back from the atomic age, and let your fingers do the talking.
 
I use my phone out of convenience.. an android. Doesn't matter what it is, it'll only last another month or two before I need another. Probably. I have good 'ol archaic pen & paper too. I prefer to write on my laptop, with it's sketchy(probably dirty) keyboard that requires you to type like Hulk Hogan poking somebody in the chest. One reason I don't write much or post much is that old ass z71t of mine. It takes like five minutes to load either msword program, gotta fight with the plug to keep it charged and lug it somewhere with internet to upload. It might be the only computer left in america running XP. XP Office Plus. So I also gotta be carefull with it and websurfing on it is mostly using Lit and checking email. I may need to set up an expedition to find the ancient ruins of a Circuit City to get a boot disc for it.
 
I have three old typewriters in working order. One is on loan to a friend's grand-daughter who wanted to write her private diary and know that no one could hack into it when the typed document is in a locked filing cabinet.

I haven't told her that during my misspent youth I learned how to break into a locked filing cabinet without using a key. I wouldn't. Even if I did, I doubt it would be an interesting read unless she is using her imagination. She married the boy next door.
 
I have written at least 5-600,000 words of fiction on iPads over the last four years, using the virtual keyboard. The original iPad and the big Pro [my favorite] . And I can barely text on my iphone - I’d rather use a napkin and crayon than my phone to write.
Sitting at a desk or table is a tough way for me to be creative. Too structured, or something. I wrote on legal pads on my lap before moving to the iPad, also on my lap, ideally with feet up, on a couch.

I use the app Storyist as it has a better virtual keyboard and I never use ‘undo’ when writing as I am not sure what it considers my ‘do’.
I use the Apple Pencil to draw, but not as a tool during writing. I have tried Bluetooth and attached keyboards on the iPad, and always go back to the storyist virtual one.

As you can tell from the above responses, use what works for you. Part of the issue is simply being comfortable enough with your method/equipment that you can forget about it and let the story flow.

Impressive, half a million words on a tablet.

I've only typed aprox. 1.9 million words and I have every keyboard that has gone kaput while doing it. :D

Of course I used to be an avid gamer so most of those keyboard have the W,A,S,D letters worn off the keys too. :cool:
 
Step back from the atomic age, and let your fingers do the talking.

There are two issues...
  1. I have osteo-arthritis in my fingers, so there is a limit to how often I can strike the keyboard.
  2. Voice to text leaves at least one hand free; since it is coated with lube, the keypad can get messy.

:D
 
There are two issues...
  1. I have osteo-arthritis in my fingers, so there is a limit to how often I can strike the keyboard.
  2. Voice to text leaves at least one hand free; since it is coated with lube, the keypad can get messy.

:D

I have one finger, guess which one*, on my left hand with osteoarthritis and if I don't bang on a keyboard every day, it get stiff and then I get trigger finger.

*(middle finger) must have abused it when I was young and during my married years.
 
Back
Top