Climate change, earthquakes and tsunamis, oh my!!

I don't have much more use for the envirovangelists that want to go back to being hunter gatherers than I do for shills for the fossil fuel industry or idiot Randists like you who live in a fantasy world where human nature doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

I really should have trademarked that word *laugh*

Damn... Google search shows at least one instance of it showing up before the first time I used it ( on another forum ) in around Jan. 2007 ( lots a few months before I first used it here ). I probably subconsciously appropriated it :mad:
 
Maybe, but what it would do to fish populations is horrifying to contemplate. A good mix of solar, wind, tidal and hydroelectric would be better. I have believed for a very long time that everything we need should be a diversified as possible.
Hydroelectric power generation and healthy fish populations don't have to be incompatible.

A mix of sources is going to be required whatever we do and I'm not sure we can ever completey do away with the internal combustion engine. But we can make much more use of Hydro power and do a LOT more to capture and use the water that falls our civilization.
 
I see the 'usual profane suspects' have chimed in; such a deal!

Is man made climate change going to cause an increase in tectonic activity? We'll just have to wait and see. I did start the thread as a bit of a joke but the idea seemed apropos given the recent catastrophe in Japan.

It is not apropos to use a human tragedy as a stepping stone to advocate a fallacious theory.

There is no, 'wait and see' about mankind causing tectonic activity; that is less than humor, more banal and morbid.

There is, however, a spiritual lesson to be learned from this sad incident, and perhaps an economic one also. Not just the Japanese, who are well aware of earthquakes and tsunami's, continue to build and live in coastal areas, well knowing the dangers, but the vast majority of humanity that chooses to live in coastal areas, knowing the dangers of hurricanes and typhoons, and the earthquakes of California.

The oceans, the seas, the harbors and rivers mean human commerce, human intercourse, trade and competition and ease of life; all things that attract us to live in areas with inherent dangers. I try to imagine those who live in 'tornado alley', that area, that, year after year, sacrifices lives and property to the vagaries of nature...and still they rebuild and start over again.

The spiritual lesson...is that the Japanese will rebuild and prosper...because they have a sense of life that the 'usual suspects' can't even imagine; a sense of family and continuity and purpose in life that is beyond the scope of the 'live for the moment' pornsters who rule this forum.

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
I really should have trademarked that word *laugh*

Damn... Google search shows at least one instance of it showing up before the first time I used it ...

I'm not sure that I picked it up here. I've seen it used in blogs and it is used on another furum I visit regularly -- it is such a useful word. :p
 
Sticking more to the subject at hand, why is Justin Bieber so popular? I find that to be more of interest, than some buffoon spouting off his self-proclaimed intelligence.
 
I'm not sure that I picked it up here. I've seen it used in blogs and it is used on another furum I visit regularly -- it is such a useful word. :p

I assumed that you nabbed it from me from the way you reacted in the thread where I first popped it here.

Ah, there's the thread.

Good ideas in the abstract, but the hard realities of implementation tend to be both more expensive and less effective than the "envirovangelists" claim. (Good word, Darkniciad. :cool: )

Earliest instance I see on Google are two from August 2006, and neither source looks familiar. I suppose I may have just had the same idea as somebody else, just a couple months too late.

Or, it may be that wherever I "heard" it and subconsciously appropriated it blocks spiders as the other forum does.
 
I vote that: "envirovangelists", be added to the dictionary.

:D

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
Indeed.

And I am curious as to why he showed up here again.

Guess the GB was too rough? People too mean?

Damn us in the AH for our sweet, accepting natures.

:cathappy:

~~~

I read your tripe and moved on....but the contradiction was just too sweet to pass up.

Since you obviously know nothing about the GB, let me inform you that it is approximately 90% Right Wing, those you love to hate; just as the AH is 90% Left Wing, those you love to love...such a deal.

I don't have a problem with either forum aside that both consist of Conservatives, one in the minority, one in the majority, who claim to get their rights from God, and that kinda pisses me off, being the atheist, objectivist that I be.

When I wake up, belch, fart and get a woodie and look around for a hole to poke; I take responsibility for my actions, I don't cozy up to a God or a Shrink to allay my shortcomings.

Such is life...you should try it...:kiss:

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
I assumed that you nabbed it from me from the way you reacted in the thread where I first popped it here.

Ah, there's the thread.

Your memory is better than mine on that point. :D

That is an interesting thread even if it is nearly four years old now. I did come accross one point I made there that has turned out to be somewhat prophetic:

I don't have anything against nuclear power generation -- I think there should more of them, but Nuclear is NOT the only solution and is explicitly NOT the solution in some places -- For example: anyone suggesting building a nuclear plant along the Pacific Rim should be stuffed into a strait-jacket and locked away someplace dark and dank until they sober up.

There is however a LOT of "geo-thermal" potential along the Pacific Rim to compensae for the inadvisability of nuclear power there.
 
Justin Bieber, creating a tsunami of pre-pubescent female emotion wherever he appears, has rocked the entertainment industry like an earthquake. "Popular, why he's created a landslide of ticket sales," an industry insider commented. "I've never seen the teen entertainment business climate get so over heated! The guy's a hot property right now, that's for sure. Thermonuclear hot! It's crazy! Young girls see him and it's total meltdown. Ozzie doesn't understand it. In fact he doesn't even believe it's happening. "What's a Beiber?" Ha!! Now that's funny!"
 
Justin Bieber, creating a tsunami of pre-pubescent female emotion wherever he appears, has rocked the entertainment industry like an earthquake. "Popular, why he's created a landslide of ticket sales," an industry insider commented. "I've never seen the teen entertainment business climate get so over heated! The guy's a hot property right now, that's for sure. Thermonuclear hot! It's crazy! Young girls see him and it's total meltdown. Ozzie doesn't understand it. In fact he doesn't even believe it's happening. "What's a Beiber?" Ha!! Now that's funny!"

That's both clever and timely. You should be promoting Bieber's upcoming Japanese concert tour.
 
Yes, Climate Change May Cause More Tsunamis.


hypocrisy-meter.gif

Why on earth do you see the need to post this here? What does this have to do with erotica?
 
Yes, Climate Change May Cause More Tsunamis. No, That's Not Alarmism

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/climate-change-earthquakes-tsunamis-alarmism.php#

trysail, ami and the boys are going to go apeshit over this one.

"In a little-heeded warning issued at a 2009 conference on the subject, experts outlined a range of mechanisms by which climate change could already be causing more earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic activity. "When the ice is lost, the earth's crust bounces back up again and that triggers earthquakes, which trigger submarine landslides, which cause tsunamis," Bill McGuire, professor at University College London, told Reuters.

Melting ice masses change the pressures on the underlying earth, which can lead to earthquakes and tsunamis, but that's just the beginning. Rising seas also change the balance of mass across earth's surface, putting new strain on old earthquake faults, and may have been partly to blame for the devastating 2004 tsunami that struck Southeast Asia, according to experts from the China Meteorological Administration."


Wait for it....

Stephen, you're a fool.

Even if the earth is undergoing a period of global warmth, it's no more than has happened in the last 200 centuries. Our descendants will be railing against global cooling and berating the ignoramuses of the 21st century who failed to understand solar power.

There's nothing we can do about it so shove your aeolien up your fundamental orifice.

Don't mix geography with politics.
 
Nostradamus also predicted the Chrysler Cordoba, with its rich Corinthian leather, would be the standard worldwide personal conveyance for 500 years. He also predicted Justin Bieber would sweep this year's Grammys.

Did that prediction come true????
 
Well...not quite...I'll just re-translate another of his quatrains and my favorite prophet will yet again, be spot on...:cool:

I hope your voices are still talking to you.

Go and learn the issues and the science before you come blowing bubbles and spouting complete crap here. Your views on climate issues here would embarrass a five-year old.
 
Stephen, you're a fool.

Even if the earth is undergoing a period of global warmth, it's no more than has happened in the last 200 centuries. Our descendants will be railing against global cooling and berating the ignoramuses of the 21st century who failed to understand solar power.

There's nothing we can do about it so shove your aeolien up your fundamental orifice.

Don't mix geography with politics.

Sheesh!!

I post a link to an article and now I'm supposed to shove what up my what?

Sunlight falls on some silicon or whatever and electricity comes out? Lloyd, you are fuckin' nuts. Electricity comes from the wall plug...fundamental orifice...
.
 
Sheesh!!

I post a link to an article and now I'm supposed to shove what up my what?

Sunlight falls on some silicon or whatever and electricity comes out? Lloyd, you are fuckin' nuts. Electricity comes from the wall plug...fundamental orifice...
.

See, you prove my point as a complete ignoramus.

Electricity comes from burning coal, oil, gas, nuclear or waving your little green hat in the air and being surprised when the windmill is still and your heating is not working.

Don't invite me to your tent.
 
Back
Top