(Closed for DearSunshine)

TheLittlestDipper

Experienced
Joined
Dec 24, 2014
Posts
57
(Couldn't think of a title. Hmm.)

The Minotaur tasted his first kill. Wet, warm and disgusting the blood was, the flesh was even worse. The creature stood, wiping the blood from his maw in shame. He should have been proud- He should have been thirsty for more as his tribe was, but no. That was simply not Fenris. Though he was named after the mighty wolf lord who killed entire races eons before, he hated war. The Minotaur race was feared throughout the land, known for their love for war and thoughtless killing. From the land of Elves and Humans through Dragons and Dwarves, none had a reputation such as they.

Fenris stood before the tribe, his loincloth bloody. He was officially a man, full grown. Now he would be forced to fight for a bride if he were to stay. Emotions bubbled beneath his calm disposition, rage and sorrow and guilt. He gazed down at the elf corpse beside him, sick to the stomach. His muscles trembled beneath his brown fur, ivory horns outstretched from his cranium. The Minotaur faced his father, who looked down upon him despite Fenris's 7 foot height. "I refuse to stay with this tribe any longer, I wish to be on my own." Fenris spoke quickly, his voice rushed in fear. Would his father react in rage?
But no. His father simply looked away in disappointment, no words could describe how he felt. And with that, Fenris was on his way.

Standing at 7'3, pure muscle and fur, he was a marvel to his people at first glance. Many females in his tribe would've swooned over him if it wasn't for his lack of anger and ferocity. His sleek fur was soft at the touch, and his brown eyes only held kindness and slight fear. Many times his father tried to get him angry, to get his blood pumping- It never worked. Not even the whip worked. He simply felt sorrow for his tribe, nothing more. He wasn't interested in mating, fighting or hunting, though he enjoyed watching the children of the tribe if their parents were out and about. He had left all that behind, and for what? An isolated life in the woods.


That was three years ago, and Fenris had put all that behind him. He sighed, his breath visible in the freezing air. Snow covered the forest ground, giving everything a serene, peaceful look. He gripped his spear, not wanting to use it but if he were to be attacked, he would. Fenris stepped lightly, careful to not alert the creatures of the forest of his presence. Rumor had it that a group of elves and humans were after him, wanting his head as a prize. Fenris walked faster now, hoping to get back to his cave before nightfall. That's when it happened. As he started the climb up the icy rocks, an arrow flew into his side, tearing flesh and skin. He bellowed in surprise and pain as more arrows rained from the sky. Fenris scrabbled down, gripping his spear as numerous arrows missed it's mark. Two elves came from the forest, showing themselves. The Minotaur threw his spear with such speed and strength the elf couldn't dodge it, and it flew through her stomach. The final elf watched Fenris with hatred, before dispersing into the woods. No doubt they would return. He looked down at his torso, seeing three bloodied arrows burried in his stomach, another in his side. He began to walk again, shaking in pain and blood loss. Soon he could walk no longer, and he sat down against a tree. Fenris closed his eyes and tried to slow his breathing. The pain was overwhelming, so much that he even ripped an arrow from his flesh to stop it, though it made it worse. Purple blood stained the earth, and Fenris whimpered softly, cursing.
 
Last edited:
Charlotte Days had spent most of her life in one of the tiny little villages by the woodlands. It was rather far from some of the larger towns, but close enough to a few of the other small settlements that they would trade and go between each other even if it took a few hours walk. That had been enough of a world for her for most of her life. Even now at eighteen she hadn't wanted to leave to get married and go to a big human city, like some of her friends did. She liked the way she could walk along the same forest paths, knowing every tree, river and route. She knew all about the flowers, the fauna, and herbs that were deep inside there. Or at least, she thought she did. There were a few areas she had always been encouraged to not go too deep into. Elves and sometimes human men would hunt there, and even now there was rumored to be a bigger beast lurking about.

Brushing her long, dark brunette curls back inside the hood of her emerald green cloak, the girl of average height readied herself for an outing in her home. She couldn't have been over 5'5", which was rather annoying for when she wanted to reach things that were up higher or get a good view. It was winter, and the snow was out so she had to dress warmly as to not catch a chill. If she came home sneezing, she'd hardly be a help to Mama and Papa with all the chores and work to do. Fastening the buttons of her long sleeve, white blouse over her buxom breasts, she cursed slightly as it was hard to fasten them. Tucking the tails of her shirt into her blue wool skirt, she looked herself over and nodded. Smoothing the fabric out over her wide, curvy hips and frame she got the fabric in place. With stockings underneath and sensible black boots, it would do as she ventured out into the woods.

This was nothing new to her parents, and so she didn't leave a note or say goodbye as she slipped out with her basket. Hopefully today she would find some pinecones, maybe some red berries, and that would help decorate her family's little house for the winter celebrations. There wasn't much money for fancy decorations, and what would they do with those out there anyway? It was much better for her to take some of her spare time and go out to do so. She hummed to herself cheerily as she walked along, entertaining herself as she got out into the forest.

While she was happy to stay in these parts... At Eighteen she was starting to get curious more about the few things she hadn't experienced, like some of the further in parts of the woods. If this was to be her world, then shouldn't she really know all of it? It seemed silly that she stay away, and it seemed like a perfectly fine day to venture out further while there were still a few hours left of good sunlight. A surge of excitement rushed through her, she had hardly done anything too adventurous. Usually sticking to the rules. But the other village girls would sneak out at night and get into all sorts of trouble with the boys... Maybe this was just her version of finally giving some rebellion! She was an adult now anyway. That seemed to settle it, and Charlotte continued down into unfamiliar paths.

It wasn't long before she was hopelessly lost in the place she thought she had known oh so well. Turning about here and there, she started to worry as the light was starting to wane and she didn't have much hopes of getting turned back in the right direction. She had already tried so many times now! The girl was actually just going in further. In the distance, she thought she was a great figure of something slumped against a tree.

Cautiously approaching, she inched forward and her chocolate brown eyes widened as she saw Fenris. She had no idea what he was, but she could see now that he was injured as she slowly drew injured. Was this the beast that people whispered of once in awhile? She hadn't thought that was actually true despite the hunting party that had left before! Somewhat afraid, she glanced about as if trying to see if there was a good direction to run... Not that she would know one. About to run away, she spotted exactly how much blood he was losing. Something tugged in her heart, and she hesitated.
 
Fenris opened his eyes, breathing loudly. He gazed at the girl, watching her every move. "Are you an assassin, sent to murder me though I'm already dying? To speed up my death?" He growled, his words clipped as he spoke in the human tongue. Fenris wasn't used to speaking in other languages, so this took much effort to make it understandable.

The Minotaur tried to stand, gripping the tree for support. "Go on then. Draw your blade." Fenris made no attempt to run, wincing as blood traveled down his leg. It began to snow lightly, snowflakes falling on his bloodied fur. He felt somewhat sorrowful that she seemed scared, but then again, he wasn't surprised. He was indeed a beast. Fenris noticed that she was human, and despite her clothing, she wouldn't last long if it got much colder. He watched her warily, trying to decide if he should attempt to help her. Any sudden movements could send her running, perhaps even to her death. The beast tried to walk, trying to reach his cave so his corpse wouldn't be scavenged on by the woods should he die. With each step black spots danced in his eyes, and his vison blurred. He continued on, only making a few steps before having to sit back down. Fenris glanced at the girl, no, woman, in curiosity. He'd never seen a human up close, only from afar.
"Why are you still here? I could kill you."

Fenris whined, much like a dog in pain, as he held his side to stop the bleeding. Silent now, beside his breathing, he sat down on a large stone, catching his breath. The bleeding had slowed down and the pain had faded, but not completed. All he could feel was throbbing, and the sharp pain when he moved. Fenris waited for her to respond, looking around. The scent of blood was in the air now, drawing wolves and other creatures near. Fenris was concerned for not only his sake, but for Charlotte. "The blood is drawing wolves near. I'd be heading home. Not to mention the weather."
 
She widened her eyes in surprise as he actually spoke to her. For some reason not expecting him to actually be able to speak her own language, though it did some rough and not usual for him. The idea that she would be an assassin, or someone who actually even knew a lick of how to fight, almost made her laugh from how completely untrue that was. However this wasn't really a laughing time, and so she suppressed the want to do so. The way this beast was speaking was confusing to her. It almost sounded as if he meant her no harm...

She backed up a bit as he stood, wary and watchful as Fenris began to try and take a few steps forward. Something akin to sympathy shot through her as she saw him struggling. It reminded her of watching one of the village dogs who had gotten caught in a bear trap. The suffering had been terrible, and the dog hadn't really deserved it. Wait, was she truly comparing this giant man to a dog? She shook that off, feeling that the analogy wasn't quite right. He seemed almost like a person in the way he spoke and carried himself after all.

When he was unable to go any further, after having turned to go in the opposite direction, Charlotte deemed the situation as not truly dangerous to herself. At least not from him at the moment. Taking out her handkerchief, she slowly moved forward to him. Placing her basket full of pinecones and berries down on the snowy ground, she moved forward to try and place it against his wound. She shivered a bit, it was getting colder and she hadn't dressed to be out much longer in these parts. Still, his wound needed to be bound.... She reached around in her pockets, not finding anything else. Inside her basket, it had been lined with fabric to keep it nice and neat. She pulled it out from underneath the pinecones, shook it out, and went to try and place that as well to put pressure on his wound.
 
Fenris jumped, surprised by the touch of her. It appeared that she was helping him.. Fenris looked the other direction, embarrassed that he had to be helped by a mere human. His side twitched at her touch, and he almost laughed. Was this how dogs felt when being pet? Fenris snorted instead, watching for wolves. But instead of wolves, scavengers circled above, waiting. Fenris ignored them, hoping they knew he was still living.

He stomped his hoof in pain as her hands tightened the make-shift bandage. He lifted her hood with gentle hands, looking to see what's underneath. "Why is that humans only have hair upon their head, instead their full body?" He asked, looking closer in confusion. After a few moments of silence, he spoke again. He had been silent for years, having no one to talk to, so he was going to speak now. "I am called Fenris. What are you called?" He reached down and grabbed a berry, sniffed it, and ate. It gradually got colder, and even Fenris got a bit chilly despite his fur. He stood, pretty sure the girl was done. "Come along. You won't last long out here. I'll take you home in the morning. I could use some company." Fenris smiled at the thought, but he quickly hid it. He grabbed the girl and picked her up, heaving her older his shoulder as he walked. She was light, the weight not bothering him much. "I apologize for my actions. I was hungry, so I ate the berry." Fenris walked upon the rocks with little trouble, his wounds not as bad anymore. He made it to the cave with ease, setting her on the ground gently as he walked in. The cave was large, easily 9 feet tall. There was plenty of space to move, which was why he picked this one. He sat down at the back of the cave, leaning against the cool stone. Books littered the floor, with rocks and pieces of wood for a fire if he should have company. He took two stones and slid them togther, causing a spark which caused a flame. Fenris exhaled loudly, relaxed.
 
Charlotte wrapped the bandages around him, knotting them tightly so that they would stay. Hopefully with two layers of cloth it would help absorb the blood and keep pressure on the wounds. She was hardly an expert at that sort of thing though, so she had only done her best that she could. Glancing upwards at the scavengers, she frowned. Now that she had decided to help this man, she hoped he wouldn't die out here from these cuts.

Looking back down, she met his eyes in surprise as her hood was lifted away from her face. Her long, dark brown curls fell out, falling back down her shoulders. "Oh. Um, I don't know. Why do you have hair all over your body instead of just mostly on your head?" She asked in return, actually kind of really wanting to know the answer to that question. "My name? I'm Charlotte. H-Hello Fenris." She said, just a little jostled that he was still speaking to her like a normal person would.

She let out a squawk as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. "What do you think you're doing?" She said, aghast and starting to rethink her previous assumption that he probably wouldn't do her any harm. "I... I could get home if you'd just point me in the right direction!" She said, even though she wasn't sure that was true at this point, getting so late in the evening. "It's fine about the berry, I don't really care about that, just please put me down!" As she was finally placed back down on the ground, Charlotte brushed herself off and looked around. The books caught her interest, and she walked over to look at what he was reading. "You... live here?"
 
"Indeed." He said simply, watching her with renewed interest. "The books.. They are in my natural language. I'm not sure if you can read them." He thought about her earlier question. "Perhaps my people are covered in fur to stay warm." He hovered over the fire, somewhat saddened. "Charlotte, why were you in the woods alone when you know dangers are about?" He picked up a red book, with golden symbols scrawled upon it's cover, and flipped through it. "Many years ago, there was a dragon lord." He read out loud, shaking his head. His voice wasn't as harsh as he read, it took a more gentle, soothing tone. He was easily distracted, but he didn't completely forget his question. He watched her closely, studying her as if she were the beast, not him. Of course, he would never say that. Fenris chuckled at the thought.

Many thoughts whirled in his head at the time, mostly about Charlotte. Why is she so tiny? Is that normal for humans? How old was she? What did she eat? Fenris smiled in amusement as Charlotte looked at the books. He blew on the fire, helping it grow. So many questions, not enough time... He thought about the family he left behind, and a mask of pain crossed his face for a moment. Had they forgotten him? Fenris decided to focus on the present, as he did so much before.
 
Last edited:
Picking up one of the books, Charlotte flipped through it and saw that indeed he was right. She was unable to read the language that it was in, but it was still interesting to see nonetheless. She had never seen this language at all, and she traced a fingertip over the strange words. Distracted for a few moments by all the things in his cave, she didn't answer right away to his question.

Looking up, she shut the book and placed it back down where she had found it. "Oh, sorry, right. What was I doing in the woods? I like to go into the woods by myself a lot. Take in the scenery, walk the paths, come across the animals... I just don't usually go as far out as I did today." She said sheepishly, bringing an hand up to rub at her arm. "I had never been out this far. I thought maybe it was about time to see something new, something different." She then glanced over him, "I thought I would just see a new path, maybe some new herbs. I had not been expecting to well, meet you. Is it really all that dangerous out here though? I mean, if you don't mean to harm me..." She trailed off, and then glanced at the cave opening. "I suppose people hurt you though. Who were they?" She asked, looking back then towards him.

Walking a little along the cave and taking it in, she watched the Minotaur. Taking him in. By all means he should have seemed extremely scary, what with his height and fierce looks. Yet he had all these books and talked gently. The fire's warmth drew her in, and she started to step over towards it, even though that also meant being a little more near him. She wrapped her hands around her arms, trying to warm herself up as she got near to the flames. Charlotte truly had been starting to catch a chill. "Thank you for making a fire for those without fur."
 
He shook his head in disbelief. "The forest is full of dangerous beasts, like winter storms and Lycans, scavengers and Minotaurs. My kind would have killed you, or worse." He looked up, making eye-contact. "There are worse things then death." This girl seemed blind to the real world, he thought. How did she last this long? He spoke again, thinking about the Elves. "The people who hurt me were Elves. They wanted my head for a prize, I think. Killing a peaceful Minotaur- What a glorious trophy."

Fenris reached out and poked Charlotte's cheek, feeling the texture of her skin. "Hmm. Soft. Squishy even. Mildly appealing." He joked, muttering to himself. Outside, sleet and snow rained down in buckets, dooming Charlotte to a night in a cave. "Thank you for keeping me company." For a second, he seemed overjoyed at the thought of company and perhaps even a friend, but he quickly hid it beneath a mask of calm. Fenris yawned, flicking his ears. "I'll be awake, making sure they don't return. Do what you wish." He stood up and left Charlotte alone by the flame, sitting by the cave entrance. His fur kept him warm for the most part, Despite the howling winds. Fenris looked outside, attempting to block out the world.
 
Charlotte ducked her head as he spoke on the dangers of the forest, giving a slight nod. "I know. Or at least I know now. I never thought it would be like this. All of the forest seemed the same to me. I figured it couldn't be all that different farther out." She said, and then again took a look around the cave. "I was wrong it seems." She said that part more quietly, as she took in the extremely different surroundings she was in right now. Looking back at Fenris, she met his gaze and stiffened a bit at the 'worse than death' part. "What is your kind? If you don't mind me asking."

Surprised by his finger reaching out to poke her cheek, which was pink from having been out in the cold, she let out a little squeak. Raising her own hand to bat him away, she looked almost amused by such a strange gesture. "Now stop that! Haven't you ever seen a human before? We're all over the place it seems." Listening to him continue to speak, and then move to the cave entrance, she followed him with her eyes. She was still too cold to move far from the fire, and by the looks of it... She wasn't getting out of this cave tonight anyway. Settling down by the floor, she wrapped her cloak around herself tightly and tried to soak up the warmth of the fire.

Occasionally she would look back over her shoulder at Fenris. "You are still hurt, are you sure you shouldn't be resting?"
 
I'm a Minotaur. Minotaurs kill for fun. They take maidens from their homes against their will, and start a family. Have you ever seen a Human and Minotaur child? Horrible mix. Word of wisdom, Charlotte. Beware the Minotaurs. Except me. I'm just me."
Fenris was silent for a moment, thinking. "I'm not crippled or anything. I'll manage. I'd almost assume you were worried about me." Fenris glanced back, purring at the thought. It was odd, for such a large beast to make such a sound, but it was often made when a Minotaur was content. Something struck Fenris, a realization perhaps. She would go tell her whole town about him, diminishing any non-believers. He would be chased away from his home. Fenris didn't hold it against her, she had her reasons. The Minotaur poked his head out of the cave, only to be bombarded with sleet. He shook the water off his face, grinning childishly as he withdrawed back into the shelter of the cave. It woke him up, that's for sure, but he doubted that anyone would come after them in this weather.
Fenris lumbered over to the flame, feeling the warmth immediately. He looked concerned for the human, realizing that their lack of fur would be the death of them. "Do humans always change color? Your face is red, but your lips seem a light blue. Are you dying?" He asked, curious about her race. All he could think about was questions, and how he would explain that he had a dead girl in his cave should she die.
 
Charlotte tried to keep her chocolate colored eyes on the flames, so that he wouldn't see how they widened in fright as he recounted what Minotaurs did. The words 'kill for fun' rang throughout her head. Despite his assurances that she didn't need to fear him, she was fearing in general now. No one had ever really told her what to do if she ran into a Minotaur, and thankfully Fenris seemed different so far, but what if there was a next time? She shivered a bit, and not just from the cold.

"I thought that kind of thing was just legend, or scary stories that they tell you around the camp fire. I never thought I'd need to know about this for real." She said, wrapping her cape around herself even tighter now. "People from my village have seen Elves before, even some other types. A Dwarf came along peddling his wares many years ago but... We don't see too many other things. But in the other villages they whisper about it, and I... I don't know, I thought they were just trying to be spooky or didn't have an actual grasp on what had happened. Not that I didn't think those things were real, I suppose I just never thought they would actually be around here. That it would happen." She sort of just spoke aloud, processing her thoughts. Hearing his comment on her being worried, she glanced over at him. "If you died, I'd never get home." She said, trying to explain where her worry came from. At least, she was pretty sure that was all it was. There was no way she was actually finding Fenris to be interesting.

"Do humans always change color...? Oh, um." She put a hand to her cheek, feeling how ice cold she was. "Sometimes we do I suppose. If we're very, very cold. Or sometimes if we're too hot then we burn. You can tell when something is wrong I guess that way, if we turn a different color. We're supposed to generally stay the same." She said, finding it funny to have to explain this sort of thing. "I certainly hope I'm not dying... Though I'm worried if I fall asleep that won't do well tonight, they say you should try and stay awake if you're this cold I think." She said, her body shuddering again as another cold burst of air went by, and her teeth started chattering. "I don't think I'm meant to survive in places like this."
 
He frowned, seeing her suffer from the cold. Fenris thought about pulling her close to warm her up in his abnormal body-heat and fur, but he didn't know how she would feel to that gesture, much less react. So instead he threw sticks and papers into the flame, which he had scribbled his thoughts on long before, to tend to the flame. "Well what do you suppose on doing for the next eight hours?" Fenris asked, lying down on his back and looking at the roof of the cave. He would lead her back to the town in the morning and rid of her, go back to his life of peace and solitude.

Fenris wasn't sure he wanted to go back to his life style. He wouldn't keep her against her will, but if she wanted to visit, he wouldn't object. Fenris turned his head towards the flame, lost in thought. He sat in silence for moments, listening to their breath and the crackling of the fire. "If I died, you'd never get home, eh? Makes sense. And Thanks for helping me.." His voice turned harsh once more, as if he were angered or annoyed by this fact. " Spooky stories around the campfire are based on truths. My race is dwindling due to our lust for war and stupidity. Soon we will be a myth, a memory. Lucky for everyone else, I suppose." He rubbed his side, happy the bleeding had ceased.
 
Charlotte looked up at him in thanks as he tended to the fire, making it roar with a greater flame and come alive once again strongly. She scooted a little closer, and started to thaw out more as her body regained a little more of its heat. It was still cold, and her pinks would probably stay pink with the few layers she had on, but at least her lips weren't blue anymore and there didn't seem to be the immense danger looming. "I suppose I'd like to hear more about you." She said slowly, not sure if that would be alright or not. "You keep saying that your people are lustful for warrior, ready to kill but... I've not seen any of that in you. Unless you are just luring me in and trying to make me feel comfortable before you do so?" She raised an eyebrow at him, and hopefully he could tell that she had attempted to say the last bit in jest, trying to lighten the mood. At this point, the trusting girl was believing that she most likely was safe in this cave as he had made efforts to make her comfortable.

"I couldn't have left you out there like that. I think I would have felt rather guilty about it. You didn't try to harm me after all, why would I not give a helping hand?" She asked, and then tilted her head a bit as he sounded harsh again. Had she offended him? And why did she feel particularly bad about that? "Won't you be lonely though if there are none of you left?" She asked, rubbing her hands together in front of the fire to regain some feeling back in them.
 
Fenris heard a hint of humor in her voice as she made the accusation, and he knew she meant nothing by it. Fenris began to speak, trying to find words. "I'm different, I think. I like to think of myself as a simple human in a beastly body. I do not like war or anything of the sorts, though I'll do what I need to survive." Would I be lonely? He thought, pondering over her question. "I'm used to it. It will be no difference to me whether my people fade from existence or not." It seemed mean, but it was true. Fenris closed his eyes, thinking. "What about you? I'd like to hear about you as well, it's not everyday I talk to a human." Or anyone else, really, He thought to himself.

Fenris laughed hollowly at another thought.
"I suppose you wouldn't want to visit me again, eh? I could show you around, we could be friends." He was joking, though maybe there was a hint of hope mixed in. Before he could hear her rejection and laughter, Fenris turned on his side and faced away, closing his eyes.
 
Charlotte tilted her head in interest as she listened to him, frowning a bit as his answer seemed so sad to her. She tucked a few stray pieces of her hair back behind an ear, willing the curls to stay in place. Her hair always seemed to have a mind of its own. "What do you like then? If not war? I should think blood lusting would get very tiresome after awhile if that was all one did. Perhaps it is just my well, human outlook but I think I can see why your way would be much better. That is too bad though, that you don't have anyone else from your family or Minotaur... What do you call a group of Minotaurs?" She asked, suddenly curious about that. "Either way, I'm sorry that no one else seems to hold the same values that you do. I know I appreciate that you would rather say, not kill me." She chuckled, trying to give him a smile.

"Mm, me? There is not all that much to say. I'm afraid I'm boring." She said, starting to undo the fastening of her cloak as the fire really started to warm her up now. She let it just idly fall against her shoulders, her blouse and skirt no longer covered by the other, heavier fabric. Bringing her knees up to her chest, still wanting to conserve as much body heat as she could, she glanced between him and the fire every so often. "I live in one of the small villages, and help my parents run the family business there. We're weavers, and don't make too much money. But I hope to one day help make the beautiful shawls and fabric that my parents do. Perhaps help trade them to more towns... Though I've never really wanted to go too far from home. I like nature. The big cities out there don't really interest me. I think I would feel claustrophobic." She said, "I've never really gone anywhere different, like I said... I'm eighteen, I'm an adult. I felt like I should be doing more things on my own now that I'm more independent and able." She watched him turn away after joking that they could be friends. She thought for a moment on that.

"I know you said these parts were dangerous but... Perhaps you could show me how to find my way about? Or where to truly avoid, and where is a safer route? I do not think that I would like to always avoid these places. My world could use a little widening. I would need a guide though." She said, offering the idea that they could see each other again in such a way.
 
Fenris smiled, though she could not see it. "That would be nice. Just for your safety, I mean. And a group of Minotaurs is either called a Silez, or Tribe." He nodded, slowly drifting off to sleep. Occasionally he would kick or whine in his slumber, never forming words, just noises.

Night melted into day, and rays of light made their way into the cave. Fenris woke up slowly, turning around to see a girl asleep on the floor. He nearly had a heart attack, before remembering last night. Fenris sighed in relief, getting to his feet. He slowly walked towards the cave entrance, looking outside. It was warm, calm, as if the storm had never happened. Snow melted off the branches, and blades of grass poked through the remaining snow. Fenris nodded to himself, glad that he wouldn't escort her home during a storm. He quickly walked over to Charlotte, worried that her family was out searching. She needed to get home. He dropped to a crouch and brushed his hand across her cheek, studying her features closely. He quickly withdrew his hand, falling back. Fenris decided to wake her up, not just watch her. "Charlotte, wake up. It's time to go home." Fenris smiled slightly, hoping to talk with her more on the trip back. He was suddenly worried when she didn't react immediately, thinking she died in her sleep from the cold. "Charlotte?! Wake up!" He pulled her in his lap, shaking her shoulders roughly with his brute strength. He reminded himself that she needed to be alive so her town wouldn't wipe him off the map, nothing more. They were just neighbors of some sort, not friends. Definitely nothing more.
 
Charlotte smiled, "You would do that? Thank you, Fenris." She said, and then nodded, making a mental note of what Silez meant. After awhile, she curled up in her cloak by the fire and also fell asleep. During that time as the hours passed, the fire inevitably burned down in the night and she was rather cold. Shaking, it was hard for her to sleep, and so she did so fitfully. While the day that came was a little warmer, and the mountain snows were melting no longer with the storm, the amount of time the human girl had spent in the cold had taken its toll. She had been exhausted by the time she had found Fenris, injured, earlier, and with the temperature wearing at her, the girl caught a fever with chills.

Shaking her to wake her up, she didn't respond at first, not feel up to moving much. He would be able to feel how hot she was as he touched her though. After he did it again, she blinked her eyes open and tried to sit up to assure him she was alright. She wobbled a bit on her arms, and fall back against the floor. Her face was flushed with the fever, and she mumbled her apologies. "I don't feel well, I'm sorry. It's fine, I'm alive!" She tried to assure him that she hadn't just died in her sleep or anything, reaching out a hand towards the man to brush against him and reassure him. Her her fevered state, it didn't seem so scary to touch him like that on the arm. "Do you have water?" She asked weakly.
 
"Ahh, You live." Fenris pulled her close, feeling her warmth. She seemed hot, easily his temperature. Fenris could smell her sickness, and he shoved her away. "You're dying!" He announced, hopping to his feet. "Water, Water.. No, she's going to die just like Lexi, not again, not again.." Fenris was pacing back and forth, nervously wringing his hands. "Water.. A stream! Yeah, yeah, a stream." Fenris picked her up in his arms and ran outside, tripping over rocks as he leaped and ran. "Eh, uh, water..." He ran towards the sound of water, fear rising in his chest. She needed help. Water couldn't help, could it? Fenris knelt down next to the river, cupping his hands and getting the water. He slowly trickled it into her mouth, anxiously slapping his tail against the ground. "Charlotte, talk to me." Fenris seriously thought she was dying, and he fought the urge to charge into town with Charlotte in his arms to find her family, or a doctor, or anyone. He brushed the girls hair out of her face, watching her chest rise and fall, making sure she didn't just stop breathing. "Charlotte, are you dying?"
 
She smiled a little in amusement at his relieved declaration that she was alive, about to say something more when he pulled her in close. His warmth felt so good after being cold throughout the night, and she closed her eyes. She felt like she could have fallen back asleep just like that, making her chills go away. It was with surprise that she shoved her away, and she blinked, her head swimming a little at the suddenness of it. She struggled up to a sitting position, putting a hand to her forehead and taking in a deep breath. "I think it'll be fine if I just..." Her words were cut off as she was then scooped up and lifted into the air, letting out a little squeak.

Charlotte hung on to him as tightly as she could, afraid he would drop her. He was so much taller than she was, and any other time she would have enjoyed the different type of view that she got as he held her, but today she was not all there enough to appreciate it. Finally being set down, water lifted to her mouth she drank heartily, drinking up all that he would give her. Thirst quenched, it was easier for her to talk now that her mouth wasn't so dry. "Fenris.. Fenris, please!" She said, trying to calm him. "I'm going to be alright! Though I don't think running around a lot is going to help though. If we could go back, and let me rest? I don't think I can move too far right now. Can we go back and lie down?" She asked, feeling a little wobbly and over exerted.
 
"I'm not sure.. You need to go home." He gave her some more water, before getting to his feet. After all that running, his wound had reopened, making him inhale loudly as a sharp pain burst in his side. Nevertheless, he followed the stream east, knowing that was where the nearest town was. He prayed it was hers as it came into view only a few meters away. The forest faded away to grassy plains and dirt roads, making Fenris uneasy. He could be spotted instantly, with his size. "If you get better, you know where I'll be. At the cave. Promise me you'll get better." Fenris muttered, nuzzling her hair as he walked. It held affection, and Fenris mumbled multiple apologies about the night before. Eventually he made it to the city gates, made from simple bricks. A man stood at the entrance, holding a sword out in front of him as he watched Fenris. His eyes lingered on the woman as the Minotaur set Charlotte down, making no sudden movements. As he backed away, the man ventured foreward to look at the girl. And with that, Fenris left her where she belonged. With civilization and humans.
 
Charlotte tried to protest that neither of them was in condition to go back to her village, but exhaustion was taking over her and it was hard to stay awake. She drowsed in-between wakefulness and sleeping against him as Fenris carried her back. Curling up in his arms, she had found herself comfortable there against his soft fur which helped keep her warm. A hand reached out to pat his cheek idly after hearing his multiple apologies, the girl murmuring for him to stop it. Again reaffirming that she would be fine, before going back to sleep again.

She awoke for when they reached the gates, and set herself on her feet as he put her down. Charlotte looked nervously at the guard, hoping he wouldn't approach or do anything. "It's fine!" She called out, "He's a friend!" Hoping that would be enough to keep the guard where he was, and it seemed to be. He was so startled anyhow at just the appearance of Fenris, especially with him carrying the familiar woman. She started to waver though, feeling her fever grip her again. The guard stepped forward to help her back into town, and she looked fretfully back over her shoulder towards where her new, giant friend had walked.

Days later, after sleeping and eating good foods like broths, Charlotte's strength returned to her. She was walking around her house, looking out the window towards the woods. Her parents had been so scared for her, but everything had returned to normal now. After having a long talk with them, she had promised she wouldn't go out that far again. They had needed to hear it, especially after hearing from the guard about the large creature who had brought her. She had said over and over again that Fenris was different, a nice person. But they were scared country folk who couldn't believe that. And so she was staying inside, not wanting to hurt them by blatantly disregarding their feelings and going back out into the woods.

She regretted the promise though. Thoughts of the lonely, giant Minotaur would come to her as she was working on the loom or fetching things around town. He had seemed like he truly wanted to see her again, and that he could have used a friend. Finally, after it had been almost a week since their meeting, she decided to set out again into the woods. It was the afternoon, and she told her parents she was staying at her friend Jane's house. Jane lived in the village just over, and so they would not expect her back until the next day. That would give her time to hopefully find Fenris' cave again. Setting out, she felt some guilt nag at her for lying, but they would never have understood. In her emerald green cloak, she dressed warmer now in more layers. Setting out into the woods again, it took her awhile, but eventually she found herself again where they had met the first time. She knew his cave wasn't that far from there... But he had carried her on his back, and she hadn't had the best sense of direction in those parts.
 
Fenris had healed, and often paced around his cave, awaiting her arrival. She never came. After the third day, Fenris decided to pretend it never happened.
He was walking around the area when he saw her again, which both surprised and infuriated him. "Charlotte!" He cried, practically running up to her and pulling her into an embrace. Fenris picked her up and spun her around in sheer excitement. "It's been days.. I missed you so much! Wait, are you okay?" He checked her over for bruises and any wounds, before finally convinced she was indeed, not dying.

He then stepped away, clearing his voice sheepishly. "I mean, It's great to see you again. How have you been?" He asked, not having as much trouble speaking the human tongue like before. Fenris smiled, a big, goofy smile as he bent down and plucked a daisy off the ground. He offered it to Charlotte, looking everywhere but at her. "It's my apology for almost killing you." Fenris stood upright, scratching the back of his head. "Shall we venture through the woods?" He asked, placing the flower in her hair and stepping back.
"You look.. Great."
 
Last edited:
Looking about, she started to give up hope that she would find where Fenris actually lived. Until she heard him call out her name, and then the heavy sounds of his footsteps hitting against the earth as he ran over. She smiled brightly, raising a hand from beneath her cloak to wave to him. "Fenris, there you are- Oooph!" The wind was knocked out of her human frame as the strong Minotaur scooped her up in an embrace, causing her to laugh in surprised delight as she was spun about. No one had ever been that excited to see her it seemed! She placed a hand up to her head, a bit dizzy, after he put her back down on the ground. "No, I'm not dying! You can stop being afraid of that. I know we humans are more delicate, but it's not that bad!" She giggled.

"I'm sorry I didn't come any sooner... I had to get better, and then it was hard to come back into the forest. People were afraid of what would happen if I wandered out this far again. But I had to see you, make sure you were alright as well. How are your wounds? Have they healed?" She asked, glancing him over to make sure that nothing was bleeding or infected looking. At the gift of the flower, she blinked and them smiled as it was nestled in her curls. "Thank you, it's lovely." She said, "I would love to walk through the forest with you." She started to move forward, and then laughed as she heard his compliment and shook her head. "Oh please, I look shapeless wearing all these layers. I didn't want to get cold and sick again when I saw you this time though!" She said.
 
Fenris walked after her, quickly catching up with his large strides. He looked down at her curiously. "Shapeless? What do you mean?" Fenris asked in confusion, not familiar with the human term. Speaking of wounds.. Fenris looked down at his stomach and side. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me." He wandered silently and gracefully through the forest despite his size, making no noise besides his breathing. He learned it long ago, as a hunting tactic- how to walk without sound, being aware of everything among the ground.

His thoughts drifted off from Charlotte to how he would entertain her. Humans tend to have short attention spands when bored or tired. There was a nifty place he could take her, but it was a long walk. He could run it, but would the young lady keep up? Fenris pondered this for a few moments, before coming to a decision.
"You want to see something incredible?" Fenris faced the human, thinking. "I mean, it's a long walk, but about a ten minute run for me. Trust me, it'll be worth it." He held out his hand. "Do you trust me?" He asked, thinking about the destination in mind. It was just a lake, surrounded by willow and cherry blossom trees, always in bloom. This was his favorite place, and only he knew where it was. Fenris nodded in reassurance. "Come on.."
 
Last edited:
Back
Top