Under hedges and Mill Stones (closed for Led-Astray)

"Wait... Nisa, please..." said Corbin, pain in his voice, as he stood quickly and took her by the arm as she tried to walk past him.

"Forgive me... but there is something I must say and if I let you walk away my courage will leave me... I owe you apologies and explainations..."

Having stopped her, at least for the moment, he decourously turned his back so as to not gaze upon her near-nakedness.

"I have been cold towards you, but the fault is not yours. It was deliberate. I was trying to drive a wedge between us..."

The knight leaned heavily against a tree.

"I am falling in love, Nisa. Falling in love with a woman who deserves more than what a hedge knight can offer her..."

He shook his head.

"A hedge knight must roam, and the woman that took such a man for a husband would either be forced to travel the roads with him, or spend months alone wondering if he even still lived."

Forgetting her state of near undress, he turned back to her, meeting his gaze. "I tried to fight it but cannot... and so decide to push you away, make you cold to me so that my own feelings would not matter. But..."

He lowered his eyes to the ground.

"...I almost lost you, today. Or I could have died, under a hobgoblin blade. I would not want death to part us with you thinking I did not care..."
 
Nisa listened silently to Sir Corbin's confession, her arms wrapped around her bare breasts. She had feelings for his but something held her back from confessing her feelings as well. As he had pointed out, if she did let him take her as his, she would either have to travel or be left alone never knowing if he was returning. Nisa had preyed every time her late husband had gone to town for ale and tail, that he would not return. She couldn't imagine living with the fear that someone she gave her heart to would not.

Finally the words slipped from her lips. "I'm afraid if we remain here that more of those creatures will find us and we won't have a future to worry about." Her voice was soft and it was her turn to try to put distance between them. Maybe he had been right. Was it better to know how he felt just in case or not know and feel the same if something happened.

What would happen if he got hurt or died at the tournament? She would have mourned him before but knowing that he felt this way about her made her worry about him more.

She remembered the dream they had shared. She remembered the words they had exchanged. The loving tenderness he had shown her then.

Fighting back tears, Nisa turned and grabbed her pack from Dancer's saddle bag.
 
His head lowered, Corbin did not see the tears in Nisa's eyes, and did not realise what a conflicted state she was in.

Her words left him feeling relieved... Nisa had not laughed at his confession. But nor had she returned his feelings - and that, he admitted sadly to himself, was probably for the best.

With a sigh, he sat and began to clean his blade so that the sickly green hobgoblin blood did not cause it to rust. Then he packed up the rest of the camp, rolling up their bedding, collecting the cooking pot and wiping it clean with a large handful of dried grass, kicking soil over the ashes of the fire.

By the time he was done, Nisa was dressed again.
 
Nisa feared what might still linger out of sight. She didn't dare leave the clearing alone, not even to change. Sir Corbin had his back to her most of the time anyway so the miller pulled what remained of her blouse free of her body and let her skirt fall to the ground. She wrapped her dark green shirt about her waist then slipped her soft ivory tunic over her head. She had hoped to save them for the tournament for they were her best cloths, but now, they were her only cloths.

With what remained of her blouse, Nisa wiped the blood from her face and as much from her hair as she could. She thought about going to the pond to wash it all away but the fear of being alone was greater than she could overcome. Instead she held the cloth to her temple picked up the remains of her shirt, stuffing it in her pack in case she needed to use it for bandages later.

Nisa turned to find the camp packed and Sir Corbin was ready to go. Even though she felt a little distance between them at the moment might not be a bad thing, every time she bent over to pick something up from the ground, she felt dizzy. There was no way she would be able to climb into the saddle without assistance. "Sir Corbin. I will need help to mount." she said softly.
 
"Of course, my lady..." replied Corbin, with a polite nod. He strode over to Nisa with an ambiguous look of loss and regret upon his weather-hardened face.

But he did not seize her around the waist, as he had done before. Instead he bent slightly at the knee and laced his fingers together, making a stirrup for Nisa to step into.

But his noble intention to keep his hands to himself was foiled as the attractive miller tried to mount, but stumbled and fell against him with a quiet groan.

Instantly he put his arms around her, his heart wrenched.

"Nisa...?" he gasped, voice full of concern. "You are hurt worse than I realised, I am so sorry..."

He held her close, unable to feel her through the hard steel shell of his armour but reluctant to let her go.
 
Last edited:
Nisa watched as he crouched down and offered to give her a boost. She was some what thankful that he had offered to help her this way. Feeling his hands about her waist had made her weak in the knees in the passed. She couldn't let that happen again, for either of their sakes.

So Nisa placed her soft boot in his hands and reached up for the saddle. She put her weight on his hands and began to left herself up when vertigo overtook her. Her vision became spotted with white star bursts and she felt both her legs and arms weaken. Without any control, Nisa felt herself falling. Her knees buckled and she gasped, reaching for the armored shoulders of Sir Corbin. She felt his gloved hands slide around her back, pulling her close to his steel covered body.

After a moment, she found she could focus on the knights face. A look of grave concern was written over her features. "I'm fine." she said with a reassuring smile. "The bleeding's finally stopped. I'm just a little dizzy is all." Reluctantly she pushed back from him slightly. "I'm sure that once we are on the road again, it will pass. You need not worry about me, Sir Corbin." She gave him a weak smile. reaching behind herself, Nisa took his hands in hers and pulled them forward to her waist then placed her hands on his armored shoulders.

He remained still and seemed unsure. Nisa patted his shoulder and said softly. "Let us be back on the road. I will feel safer once we are gone from here."
 
"Very well, my lady." replied the knight, quietly.

Glad that Nisa seemed to have recovered, Corbin was nonetheless worried that she she might be understating her injury to reassure him.

However, he could understand her eagerness to depart from here. Resolving to keep a very close eye on her as they rode, he tightened his grip on her lovely waist, and lifted her gently into the saddle. He kept his hands on her body for a few long moments, telling himself it was only to be ready to steady her if she were to become dizzy again.

Then, mind churning in a swirl of conflicting emotions, he walked over to Grace. he put on his helmet then mounted confidently, speaking words of quiet encouragement to both the horse and the mule that trailed behind it, as he moved to ride next to Nisa, on the side that he felt her most likely to fall should she lose her strength.

"Stay close, my lady, we will set a gentle pace at least to start with." said the concerned edge knight, caught in a quandry. He dare not take his eyes off her in case she fell... but nor could he bear to look at her so intently, after his declaration had gone unheeded...
 
Nisa gripped the saddle tightly for a moment, then once sure of her seat, she gave Sir Corbin a nod. The knight and the miller left the clearing side by side without further incident.


_________________________________

When Snorgle could no longer smell the horses, the hobgoblin crawled into the clearing. He took Nuhnb's boots because he always like them and Svigt's sword. the band leader scavenged every coin from the bodies of his fallen comrades, all the while he repeated, "Sir Corbin, blue eyes, blond hair, flaming fist on his sword, white horse, Nisa, brown hair, brown eyes, common cloths, scare on her ribs." over and over.

When Snorgle reached down for the moose boned handled knife he'd had his eye on for a while, he noticed a clump of long brown hair from the female. It was of no real interest to himself but his mistress might find use for it and anything that pleased her made Snorgle happy.

Treasures in hand, the hobgoblin spit on his underlings and ran off home to tell his mistress what he had found.
 
Corbin was pleased to see that Nisa did not appear to be unsteady in the saddle, but stayed close along side her, just in case. They rode in silence for quite some distance, with both finding it hard to find something appropriate to say after the knight's declaration in the clearing, and the miller's rejection of it.

No, not rejection... thought Corbin to himself... but clearly not welcome... which is likely for the best.

Finally, he could bear the silence no longer.

"We should..." began the hedge knight, his voice croaking after being silent for so long. He cleared his throat and tried again. "We should reach the next village before nightfall, but it is still a long journey." He paused. "If you need to rest, please tell me, Nisa. Head wounds can be funny things..."
 
Last edited:
Nisa held onto the saddle tightly as they road at a slow pace. She had been right: once on the road she'd feel better. The cool breeze through her hair had refreshed her, making the miller feel much more alert. Sir Corbin had kept a close eye on her just the same.

The silents between them gave Nisa time to think about the tournament as well as the next few days of travel. It was a well known fact that travel was dangerous. Bandits took what they wanted from unfortunate travelers, never mind the dark things, such as the two bands of hob goblins they had encountered in the last few days, and worse lingered in dark corners of the woods waiting for prey to wonder by. What dangers did her presents bring to the knights travel? Instead of fleeing when the fight might be lost, Sir Corbin would stay to fight to defend her. He would take risks that would not be needed if he traveled alone.

After a few hours, Sir Corbin broke the silence. Nisa smiled, her heart race despite her efforts to deny anything she felt for the knight. "I will be fine without rest, thank you Sir Corbin. But if we come upon a pond or stream, I would like to wash the blood from my face and air. I must look a ghastly sight."


________________________________________________

Snorgle had made good time. Instead of following the same path he had tracked the Knight and female along, the hob boblin headed straight for the nearest cave and took the underground path to his mistresses chamber.

He now was in his favorite place; on his knees at his mistresses feet. He repeated what he had seen. "Sir Corbin, blue eyes, blond hair, flaming fist on his sword, white horse, Nisa, brown hair, brown eyes, common cloths, scare on her ribs." He held the handful of hair up to her, hoping to feel her touch his hand as she took it. He was not disappointed as she took her hand in hers and turned it, palm up, picking every last strand of brown hair from his fingers.

"Sir Corbin?" She repeated, a slight quiver of excitement in her voice. The sound was like music to Snorgle's ears and he felt himself harden.

"The female called 'im Sir Corbin." Snorgle confirmed.

"And he called her Nisa?"

Snorgle nodded enthusiastically, "He called her Nisa and he called her My Lady."

His mistresses smile disappeared, replaced by a glare. After a moment, she looked down at the handful of hair then back at Snorgle. As quickly as his member had become erect, it now sagged. There was a look in her eye that sent a shiver right to is very soul. "I want to see what you saw." she stated and the hob goblin dropped to the floor.

"Please no." he begged but a smile returned to her face.

"Oh, come now. I know you have always wanted to see me cast a spell." She reached down and grabbed him by one of his long ears and added with menace, "And so few well ever get to be as close as you will."

Snorgle could only wimpier as he gave into both the fear and excitement as his mistress dragged him towards the massive under ground lake with the strange floating stones. As they approached it's shores, his mistress began to untie the belt of her robe, then, to his delight, the garment fell to the cave floor. His member hardened once more as he looked at the body he desired more than life itself. That soft, round ass and curved hips. Long slender legs and broad shoulders. Her dark hair cascading to her waist. As she released him and jumped to the first stone, he could see the soft lips between her legs. "Remove your garb." she commanded and he did before she had turned to face him.

The Hob goblin panted as he stared at his mistresses large, round breasts and shaven pussy. How he would give anything to lick her. His hand went to his cock unvolunteerly , slowly stroking it. 'Come." she ordered, but the realization of what would come if he did gave Snorgle pause. Her voice softened, "Come and let me touch you. You know you would give me anything for the feeling of my hand on your cock." Truer words had never been spoken. Snorgle would give his very soul to feel her, even if it was just her hand brushing against him. He knew that that was likely the fee for such pleasures but it didn't matter.


Snorgle easily made the leap to the first stone. He stood tall above his mistress, his corkscrew member pointing towards her. Ever so slowly, the sorcereress get her hand brush gently down his shaft. The hob goblin let out a loud moan. Nimbly, his mistress turned and jumped to the next stone. Snorgle followed.

On the next stone, she stroked his cock twice and on the third stone, she cupped his balls. The fourth stone was much larger. A large chair sat in the middle where his mistress took her seat. This was her throne. The place where all how served her worshiped her. As she took her seat she asked Snorgle something he could not have even dreamed of. "Do you wish to taste my nectar?" Without answering, he dropped to his knees and began stuck out his forked tongue. If it had been any other female, Snorgle would have eat her pussy, using his sharp teeth to eat her flesh but this was his mistress.

With slow stokes he began to lick her clit then slide his tongue inside her sweet folds. Soon lust over took his will to saver her and he flicked her clit and pumped the other half of his tongue into her tight pussy. Soft moans began to escape her lips, intensifying into loud moans that filled the chamber. Soon he felt her pussy clench down as her sweet juices flowing freely. He licked them up quickly, his eyes bulging out as he entertained the idea of sliding his cock into her pussy, just once. The idea was quickly dismissed as she sat up and, with lightening speed, grabbed onto his bulging eyes and yanked them from his head.

Snorgle screamed and grabbed onto his empty eye sockets. He stumbled backwards till he fell into the water. Before he was even submerged, a set of large, teeth filled jaws came up from the deep and pulled the unfortunate hob goblin under.

Eyeballs in hand, the dark haired so sorcereress walked around the back of her throne to a large, gold caldron. She tossed the eyes into the green liquid and reached between her legs. Taking some of her own juices, she reached into the brew and stirred it. After a moment, the surface showed all that Scorgle had seen.

She could tell that both held feelings for each other but tried to hide them. More importantly, she could tell that the female was no highborn lady. She was a commoner. Good. Once the image had turned to the path home, the sorcereress turned her attention to a trunk to her left. After some searching, she came out with a human scull. It glowed green and a set of eyes started at her with fear.

"After dusk, kill all the woman around Sir Corbin of Beck. I want the knight unharmed."
 
Corbin sighed heavily.

"You set a trap for me, my lady. Agree with you and I am a liar and the worst kind of cad. Tell you what I truly see and I offend you, as such words are not ones you would welcome from me..."

He shook his head, immediately loathing himself for spewing such self-pitying words. But when it came to Nisa, it seems, his tongue seemed to be running away with him without pausing to let his brain catch up.

"Nonetheless, I will keep an eye and an ear open for fresh water, so you may wash - it must be uncomfortable. And I foolishly neglected to fill my waterskin from the pool when we stopped for the night... we will need water soon, for ourselves and the horses, and it will be a good opportunity to rest."
 
Nisa gripped her reins tightly. Did he think this was easy for her? He wasn't the only one fighting her feelings. Foolish feelings that could get him hurt. She couldn't live with that.

"And what would you have me say?" she barked at the knight. Nisa opened her mouth to say more but quickly shut it turning her gaze down the road. Her pulse raced and she just wanted to scream at the knight. Spots darkened her vision and she gripped her saddle tightly so as not to fall. "I.... I don't want to waste time stopping when we should push on." Nisa admitted, her head bowing slightly.
 
Seeing his companion swaying in the saddly, Corbin expertly guiding Grace with his knees, Corbin brought his mount alongside Dancer so that the two horses rubbed shoulders, and wrapped his arm around Nisa's shoulders to steady her.

He knew the hard steel of his armour would be uncomfortable, but would not have her fall.

"Forgive me, that was churlish of me."

He looked around at the lie of the land, and nudged both horses to the right, off the track, towards a mound-shaped thicket.

"There is likely to be a pond alongside here, if I am any judge. We rest until you are ready to ride - time lost here is nothing to the time we lose if you fall from the saddle..."

The knight's intuition born of years of travelling the wilds, was correct. The thicket did have a pond at the center, and it did not take long to find the game-path that the local deer and other animals had created to reach the cool water.

Corbin dismounted and led both horses - and the mule - to the water's edge. Then, bowing his head so as not to meet her eyes, he gracefully lifted Nisa from the saddle, releasing her as soon as he was sure she had her balance.

"You understand, now, I think, why I was the way I was, before..." he murmured.
 
Nisa turned from Sir Corbin and retrieved a scrap of her skirt that had been shredded by the hobgoblin. "I understand better than you know." she muttered. Slowly she walked the few meter's to the waters edge and looked down at her refection.

He would not have lied if he had said she looked ghastly. her hair was caked to her cheek and neck with blood. Nisa gathered her skirt to the side and tied it in a knot to keep it out of the water as she waded in to nearly her knees. The water was cool and clear. The miller could see her toes amounts the tiny pebbles. As she leaned over slowly, the spots returned so she paused till they cleared before reaching her cloth down into the water and began to wash her face.

As she washed, it gave her time to think more. Though she longed to simply return the knights feelings, she couldn't for fear of the distraction she could cause him. He had been right: distance would be best. As she washed though, she could feel the wound and it was very tender and swollen. Soon she would take a fever if not tended. It really would be a simple thing to ask her deity to grant her a healing but this would leave her weak and need to rely on Sir Corbin. She would either have to sleep and waste time that should be spent on the road or she would have to be held on her horse which would mean close physical contact with the man who she so desperately needed to distance herself from.

No. She would just have to be more careful. Take things a little slower and she'd be fine till the evening when she could ask to be healed then sleep. With her mind made up and her face and hair clean once more, Nisa turned to see the knight holding the reins of his warhorse staring at her.

"Thank you Sir Corbin. I feel much better." She waded out of the water and let her skirt fall about her ankles. "If we pick up our pace, maybe we'll have time to find a meal in the village?"
 
"I... " Corbin blushed and looked away. "I was watching you in case you became dizzy and fell in the water."

It didn't sound convincing, even to himself, and he silently cursed himself for his weakness.

"And yes... We should easily make the next village before nightfall. It's a days ride between the town and the next village, it was foolish of me to leave the town so late in the day but I was so angry..."

He sighed.

"And my mistake cost you dearly."

The remorseful knight moved forwards to help Nisa mount so that they could be on their way once more.
 
Even though she knew she should put distance between them, Nisa couldn't stand to see Sir Corbin belittle himself. Her temper flared as she stepped in front of her, reaching for her waist to lift her back into the saddle. "Had we not stopped where and when we had, that band of creatures might have found another group of travelers. One not so skilled as you. What if they had gotten to the village? how many people would have died at their hands? Young woman could have been........."

The knight looked even more uncomfortable and turned his eyes away but Nisa wasn't going to let him go so easy. She had a point to make and she was going to make sure he understood. Nisa reached up took his chin in her hand, turning his face back to look down at her. "You killed 7 hob goblins single-handedly. You put the fear of the Gods into the baker who deserved far worse, and you avenged your squired and saved a simple miller 3 times in as many days." As she spoke her voice raised as her anger built, "You may only be a hedge knight but you admitted that being of noble birth did not make you a good person. You are an honorable man with strong morals and a large heart. Your skills with your sword are second to none, else why would you risk your armor in a tournament when you don't have the funds to pay the ransom to get it back. A little scratch would have been the least of my worries if you hadn't come upon my mill when you had, and another knight might have taken pay for his services by force where you have been a far greater gentleman than a simple miller deserves......." she shook with anger, wanting to force him to understand, to see what she saw in him, but all she wanted to do was physically shake the sense into him, "Now place me up into my saddle before I say more that I might regret."
 
In spite of himself, Corbin could not help but grin. Nisa's outburst seemed to clear the air between them, and let honest friendship rise up above any other, less welcome, feelings.

"My Lady, I feel I would rather face another 10 hobgoblins that be lashed by your barbed tongue again." he chuckled. Then, more seriously "I shall remember your words, and do as you say."

With that, he lifted her easily into Dancer's saddle, and dexterously mounted Grace. He waited for Nisa to begin riding, and then kicked his mount gently in the ribs, guiding her up to alongside the smaller horse.

The knight then turned back to his reluctant love.

"One thing, though... To run into two bands of hobgoblins in such a short time? I think it was not coincidence. It seems likely to me that the second band was seeking to find why the first did not return - tracked them to the mill and then tracked us."

He pondered in thought for a moment.

"It is not unlikely that a third, larger group, will be sent out when none of that band return. We should, from now on, try harder to conceal our passage whenever possible. It is just fortunate that none of them escaped."
 
Last edited:
The hedge knight and miller made good time and the small town of Quarterlund came into as they crested a hill. It was rather picturesk. Supper fires burned in every hearth, cooking evening meals and warming the homes to ward off the chill of the fall evening. A dirt burn around the perimeter was overgrown with heather and canola. A well warm road wound through sod houses as well as a few log cabins. The livery was next to the only inn. The sound of a flute drew them and others in as well as the smell of roasted meat.

Nisa reached down to her saddle bag and retrieved a small bag of coins. She had wished it was more but it was all she had. "This should cover the night for the animals and maybe a meal. If we're short, I can wash pans or rooms if need be."
 
"And I can hew wood, or draw water, or make myself useful in any number of ways." replied Corbin, sliding easily from Grace's saddle, landing surprisingly lightly for a man in armour. "Just don't call me Sir or they will assume I have plenty of coin and try to give me the most expensive room in the house..."

Before Nisa could object, Corbin gave the last of his own coin - save for a couple of silver - to the livery owner, to pay for the care, feeding, and overnight lodging of the three animals.

"Use your coin to pay for a room for yourself, my lady." he said, over-riding her objections. "I'll sleep in the common room. It wont be the first time. We cannot afford two rooms and we definitely cannot afford to share."

With that, he took her by the arm in a gentlemanly way and led her to the inn.
 
The inn was the only two story building in town. Though if it had been in a much larger community, The Rusty Ale would have been considered tiny, but here, it towered over all the other buildings. The sweet sound of a flute drifted out the door as the knight opened the door for Nisa. She gave a nod of thanks then entered.


Inside, the common room was filled with long tables and what appeared to be locals. Most were farmers, with straw hats. A black smith sat with a woman on his knee, his large arms giving away his trade. From his vest and her shirt being made from the same fabric, Nisa assumed the woman to be his wife. The bar keep laughed out loud at a joke a man in the garb of a cleric of the sun goddess had just told him. Some glanced their way but all smiled and just seemed happy to be there.

A young woman with two long blonde braids greeted them with a smile. "There's one chair left by the kitchen, if you don't mind sharing, other than that, you might be able to squeeze up at the bar." she looked over her shoulder, "But it will be a tight squeeze."

Nisa smiled. They all looked so happy and worry free. None looked at then with malice. "I need a room for the night." The miller said with a warm grin.

The woman nodded and shouted, "Poppa, these two need lodgings."

The portly man smiled and waved them over. "Good Evening Knight and Lady..... Move over Winston so we might speak business." The farmer smiled and tipped his hat to the pair before heading off into the crowd. "I have 3 rooms left: one with two small beds. One with a medium sized bed.... it's quiet cozy for a couple and then the honeymoon room." He gave Sir Corbin a wink, "I'm proud to say that every bride who has lost her maidenhood there gave birth to a health child 9 months later...... as well as many who's seed wouldn't take had luck there too. A lucky bed that one, if you're looking for your wife to be with child."
 
Corbin bowed his head slightly in thanks at the innkeeper's friendliness.

"You misheard the lady, I fear. She seeks a private room, whereas I will be quite comfortable in the common room." he said, with a grin. "T'will not be the first time I have slept in such, and it is more luxury than I am afforded most nights."

The knight's mind wandered briefly to the number of nights he had spent with no roof other than the clouds or the trees. Tonight, however, for Nisa's sake, they needed a safe place to rest. And, as part of that safety, we should take our rest in different rooms.

A sudden gurgling from his stomach reminded him of other needs he should see taken care of. He leaned forwards, his voice lower to prevent others overhearing.

"We have the coin for the lodging, but if there is aught I can do to work towards the cost of meals, I would gladly do so. I am a mere hedge-knight, not a lord of land and coin - I work for my keep, sir."
 
The inn keeper nodded his head. It was a common thing for men like the knight to as for meals for labor. It was a welcome trade. Meals were cheap to make and there was always work that needed to be done around the inn that he was to busy for: roof that needed the thatch repaired, new tables to be built, wood to be split, potato's to be pealed, water hauled. The list was endless and with only himself, his wife and two nearly full grown daughters, it would never get done and the inn would fall into disrepair.

"I have a woodpile out back that needs to be split and stacked." then his eyes turned to Nisa, "And my wife is out back. She would much rather be in the kitchen instead of washing the linens."

Nisa smiled. "Thank you." She said and slipped passed Corbin. The sooner the work was done, the sooner they could sit and rest. As she made her way through the crowd, the miller noticed the cleric of The sun goddess holding the hand of one of the barkeeps daughters. They looked at each other lovingly but kept glancing towards her father. The cleric even tried to steal a kiss but as the barkeep turned their way, they both released their grip on each other and rushed off in different directions.

Outside, the inn keepers wife was more than glad to hand off a basket full of soiled bedding to Nisa and head back to her kitchen. Out back of the inn was a large pile of sawed logs, waiting to be split and piled by a large stump with an axe leaned up against it. Between a small creek and the woods beyond town was a large aspen tree with a swing hanging from it's branches that swayed back and forth in the breeze.

Nisa balanced the basket on her hip as she made her way down to the stream. The sun danced through the changing leaves on the trees as she removed her boots and tied a knot in her skirt to keep it out of the water as she waded into the cool water, a sheet in hand.
 
Relieved by the innkeepers willingness to exchange labour for food, Corbin followed Nisa outside. He stripped off his harness clumsily, not wanting to call his lovely companion back from her own task. The curved and shaped metal pieces hit the ground in a series of metallic thuds, leaving the knight clad only in his gambeson, padded hose, and boots. He stacked them carefully next to the door, and turned to the task in hand.

He took the first log, lifting it easily and standing it on end on the stump. Then he lifted the two-handed woodsman's axe and hefted it thoughtfully. Running a thumb along its edge, he found it to be a little blunter than he would like, but it would serve.

He swung it in an easy overhead arc, starting with his hands far apart but sliding his right hand back down the haft to join his left hand as the head started to fall, accelerating in downwards into the end of the standing log. In spite of the slight bluntness of the axe, it had Corbin's strength and technique behind it and it sank through the log as if the wood were a farmhouse cheese, not solid pine.

He stood the two halves upright again, side by side, and with two swift blows split them into quarters, before starting a new stack the other side of the stump.

Five logs later, he was unaware he was being watched. From an upstairs window, Challa, the innkeeper's second daughter, observed the knight working with a thoughtful smile.

When, after another 10 logs, he stripped of his gambeson and returned to work bare-chested, her thoughtfulness turned to wicked glee. Adjusting her dress to maximise her cleavage, she sauntered down the back stairs and headed to the garden.
 
Nisa made quick work of the bedding. None of it was very dirty and the swift moving creek made the work easier. After wringing the water from the cloth, Nisa filled the now heavy basket and lifted it to her hip. It took a moment for the miller to regain her balance. She still felt a little dizzy but refused to let Sir Corbin see it.

The Knight now stood bare from the waist up. Memories of their shared dream flashed in Nisa's mind and she took a deep breath to suppress a blush. Looking about, Nisa couldn't see a cloths line. A woman stood in the garden on the other side of the wood pile, pulling weeds.

"Where's the clothsline?" Nisa called to the woman. She stood and turned. Long blonde hair fell about her nearly bare shoulders. She was more than a few years younger than Nisa. She had big blue eyes and rosy cheeks. She looked young and vibrant. With a smile she pointed past the inn. "Around the corner of the inn."

Nisa thanked her, slipped her boots back on and walked passed trying not to watch Corbin as his muscles rippled as the axe came down onto another log. It wasn't to soon, she was around the corner and far enough away she couldn't hear the axe strikes.
 
A fine sheen of sweat covered Corbin's well muscled torso as he swung the axe, the heat of the evening combining with his exertions to make him uncomfortably warm.

Challa, confident that the woman Whoever she is... was out of sight and hearing, walked over to the well and drew a bucket of water. She filled the large jug she had stood by the well when she had first come outside, and picked up the two wooden cups as well. With a sly grin she sprinkled a few drops of water into her ample cleavage, making it glisten seductively.

Then she swayed across the garden, although the seductiveness of her walk was wasted as the hard-working knight did not even notice her until she called out to him.

"Hello? Oh sir, you look parched. I brought you some water..."

***

Corbin turned at the sound of a fetching young voice, and found its equally fetching young owner looking at him coyly. The voice belonged to a very pretty girl - No... there is something in her eyes that tells me this is no maiden - a pretty young woman who stood looking up at his tall frame.

"I'm Shalla" she purred, holding out one of the wooden cups, "My father owns the Inn."

The half-naked warrior took the cup gratefully, trying hard to ignore what else he suspected was being offered.

"My thanks, Shalla." he replied carefully, taking the cup. "I had not realised how thirsty I was until you stopped me."

"I could see how hard you were working from my bedroom window." she murmured, and pointed upwards. "That's my room there... I have it all to myself."

Corbin paused, torn. In the past he would not have hesitated to pursue a dalliance with such a girl. And it would certainly put an end to any ignoble designs I might have on Nisa...

But he couldn't do it. It should have been easy, and pleasurable, to agree to go to this girl's bed, to play, once again, on the mysticism of the knight that he had exploited so many times before... But he couldn't imagine touching this girl when Nisa was under the same roof.

He tried to distract her. "Do you think this is enough wood cut to pay for a meal?"

But she was not to be so easily put off;

"Oh, that depends how hungry you are..." replied the young woman, leaning forward to fill the cup from her jug and giving the knight a perfect view of her deep, glistening cleavage. "I bet a big man like you has a big appetite..."
 
Back
Top