The Beautiful Game - Closed for DeathsKnight

"When it comes to recovering after a bender, to kick a ball and drive players to the brink of collapse and then making them collapse? My talents are endless...of course there's some other talents that I'm sure you would like to find out about."

Her eyes widened in shock. In her head she was berating herself for being too 'obvious', sure that he must know .. must see .. and God... she was embarrassed .... a totally new experience for her to feel so out of her depth and uncertain ...

"Like they say: "Stick with me and you're sure to find more"...or something like that."

She nodded as he chuckled, focusing upon sipping her coffee, on not saying anything to confirm or deny his words and thankful for the curtain of hair that fell forward to mask her face from his all too knowing gaze...
 
He moved an arm behind her, fingers idly tracing through her hair, he didn't say anything, not that much was needed to be said. It seemed that he had not misunderstood her actions, it only seemed that she now felt slightly embaressed,

"Since you're staying, what you say if I show you how to make a chair and sculpt forms from the wood? I think you might like the lunch more than the breakfast?"
 
His arm moved around her, the sensation of his fingers as they brushed through her hair made her flush hotly; but with all her will power she focused upon sipping her coffee.

"Since you're staying, what you say if I show you how to make a chair and sculpt forms from the wood? I think you might like the lunch more than the breakfast?"


For long moments she considered before responding.

"I'd love to, but ... I don't want to outstay my welcome ... "

She eased away from him, biting back a sigh as she already missed the warm intimacy of his massive frame pressed against hers.

"... I think taking me in goes above and beyond expectation ... "

She told him softly, equally grateful and frustrated by his determination to be such a gentleman.

"I'll get dressed and head off ... let you get on with your woodwork without me in the way ... with any luck I'll have learned my lesson and keep within my limits next time ... "

She told him with a blush.
 
He arched a brow,

"No overstaying will happen, but if you wish to leave at least allow me to drive you."

He settled his empty cup on the coffee table,

"A pity though, lunch would have been better with company and I will not work since it is sunday."

He rose and brushed a hand through his hair,

"Let's hope you do not stay in your limits all the time. It is much fun to look after you for the short moment I could."

He moved off to the kitchen, empty cups in hand as he started to rummage around for preparation of lunch
 
"No overstaying will happen, but if you wish to leave at least allow me to drive you."

She smiled, but shook her head firmly.

"... no need ... and I could do with the fresh air ... "

She told him also setting down her coffee cup.

"A pity though, lunch would have been better with company and I will not work since it is sunday."

It was a pity, but Lisa knew she had to be 'sensible', she had let herself relax with him, perhaps too much and the last thing she wanted was to compromise the partnership they were about to enter into.

"Let's hope you do not stay in your limits all the time. "

She stood also and smiled at his kind words.

"It is much fun to look after you for the short moment I could."

And she had liked him taking care of her; but it wasn't something she could let herself get used to. She bit back a sigh as he moved into the kitchen and turned to head to his bedroom to get dressed. Easing out of his sweater, she left it on the bed and quickly pulled her clothes back on. A quick visit to his bathroom to ensure she looked presentable and she judged she was ready to set off. She retraced her steps back to where Ivan was busy in the kitchen.

"Despite disgracing myself, I had fun ... "

She told him with a soft smile.

"... I need to clear my head ... "

She insisted on walking, especially as he was busy making lunch.
 
"It is a quiet day, not too warm yet. I still do not like that you wish to walk alone, but I can not force my will on you."

He smiled at her and walked with her to the front door, opening it for her, he even went as far as the front gate,

"I will stop here. Thank you for your company, I did enjoy it. I shall bring the plaque to you when you want to give it to Lisa."

He stuck out his hand and as she took it, he gave her a devilish grin, drawing her close for a real bear-like hug. He gave a soft chuckle after releasing her,

"Walk safely and contact me when you are home please."
 
"It is a quiet day, not too warm yet. I still do not like that you wish to walk alone, but I can not force my will on you."

She didn't think it the time to point out that she went everywhere alone, driving or walking. She let him walk her to the door, surprised when he accompanied her as far as the gate.

"I will stop here. Thank you for your company, I did enjoy it.
I shall bring the plaque to you when you want to give it to Lisa."

She nodded.

"Lisa's plaque ... of course ... I can collect it after I meet up with the team to talk to answer any questions about the sponsorship ..."

She told him recalling with effort that she was to meet with them after practice and ensure they were fully aware of the training facilities that had been made available to them. All seemed 'back to business' as he offered her his hand to shake. She took it, mentally telling herself that it was for the best, that mixing business with pleasure never worked. And then his arms went around her as he drew her against his massive body in an affectionate hug and all common sense dissolved. He seemed amused and she couldn't help but smile as he chuckled. How could he know that he was messing with her to such an extent?

"Walk safely and contact me when you are home please."

His concern touched her, but she shrugged.

"Sure, but I'm a big girl now ... I can take care of myself ..."

Her attempt at brushing away his concern fell flat as he caught her eye making her laugh despite herself.

" ... yeah I know ... unless vodka is involved ..."

She had the grace to blush as she conceded.

"I enjoyed spending time with you. Thank you."

She finished softly before turning and forcing herself to walk away, her pace quick until she felt she was well out of sight.

It was the call on her phone that made her halt finally. She hadn't been in touch with her family to offer the usual not-coming-to-dinner excuse and she assumed that one of her brothers had been tasked with calling her.

"Hey ... hi Mark ... yes I know ... no ... not today ... I got ... kinda caught up ... "

She walked slowly now as the conversation continued.

"No ... I'm not coming over this evening either ... do..?... nothing I guess ... I ... "

She seemed to be talking herself into a hole. Tease though they might, her family knew her habits too well and the younger of her brothers, Mark was too perceptive for his own good. His sister wasn't at home ... she had no work or lunch plans ... and she didn't seem as if she'd even thought about contacting the family or made arrangements for her day ...

"... must have been a pretty wild night out ...?"

He teased finally.

"Mark ... I have to go. I'll be in touch later on this week ... "

She hung up before he had a chance to respond.
It was that more than anything else that made him realise just how close to the mark his comment must have been.

It was an hour later when Lisa eventually got through her door.

She threw her bag down and headed for the bathroom to run a hot bath, uncharacteristically casting her clothes aside leaving them untidily scattered as the tub filled only to waste no time in sinking into the soothing water.
The aromatic heat enveloped her, prompting Lisa to groan and close her eyes.
The remains of her hangover had long since been walked off; what ailed her was far more deep-seated than the symptoms of alcoholic indulgence...

Even now she could feel his arms around her, see his smile, here that chuckle ...
Ivan was a man she wanted to be with ... simple as that ... only it wasn't ... and she had to make sure all was 'business as usual' ... though she had no idea how she was going to handle it.

"Well done Lisa ... you sure know how to get yourself in trouble..."

She scolded herself aloud before sliding down to submerge beneath the water.
 
He watched as she walked away, to him the expression of: "I hate to watch you leave, but I love to watch you go." became true, of course that was not the only reason that he watched her, the other reasons was much more seated in his upbringing than the attraction he had towards Lisa. An attraction that could spell difficulties if not problems in their profesional relationship, he turmed around and walked back into the house. He finished lunch and found that he had not heard from Lisa yet, it was two hours later. Not wanting to look or sound overbearing, he did not call.

"Hi Lisa, I just want to know if you got home safely."

He sent the text and closed the phone, lunch was the usual lonely fare, place for one in a house for one. After eating and washing what small amount of dishes there was, he sat down with his desktop computer, it held archives on teams and their plays. This week he would prepare the guys as best he could. He had his carefully made plans in file, but nothing prevented him from checking them for the fourth time. He started the first movie clip.
 
She was mooching around in her robe, a towel wound turban-style to secure her wet hair and wishing that she had stayed with Ivan, at least for lunch. The sound of the doorbell was totally unwelcome and ignored until the 4th time when it was accompanied by a knocking and a voice shouting;
"I know you're in there! Come on sis! Open up!"
With a sigh of frustration, she went and unlocked the door standing back as Mark strode into her house. A single look at her and a glance around at the uncharacteristic scatter of items and his amusement turned to concern.

"You're in worse shape than I thought!"

He announced as Lisa locked the door before turning to question wearily.

"What on earth are you doing here?"

She followed him into the living room as he flopped himself down on the sofa and looked up at her, his expression half concern, half amusement.

"Seriously Mark ... I'm really not in the mood for this ... "

She sat in the adjacent armchair.

"Can't a girl have a hangover in peace now?"

She questioned.

Mark laughed.

"OK ... I'll buy it ... what were you on..?"

Lisa hesitated and grimaced before confessing.

"Vodka ... "

She expected Mark to laugh, to remind her of that time she had disgraced herself all those years ago, but instead Mark seemed more concerned than amused.

"Didn't think you touched that stuff anymore?"

Was his next query.

"No ... but there were a group of us ... "

She shrugged. For some reason she thought it best not to clarify who she had been out drinking with ...

" ... but since when does brotherly concern stretch to coming round whenever I have a hang over, though granted, that doesn't happen too often nowadays?"

But she couldn't get a straight answer from him. She sighed as he fired questions at her; No, she hadn't eaten, no she didn't want to. Yes business was going fine and yes she would be up for their parents anniversary celebration and no of course she hadn't forgotten. Much as she loved her brother, the more he talked and fussed, the more frustrated she grew that he didn't come to the point, whatever the point of his visit was.

Absent mindedly she checked her phone, her eyes widening as she saw the text from Ivan. Damn, she had promised him she would let him know when she had gotten home...

"OK ... I'll eat something Mark. And then ... maybe you'll go so I can catch up on my beauty sleep ...?"

She decided to placate him as she sighed in relief as he headed towards her kitchen. Finally free, Lisa picked up her phone intending to text, but with a glance towards the kitchen decided to give him a quick call instead.

"Hey, Ivan? Hi ... it's Lisa ... sorry I didn't text earlier. I'd love to say I zonked out, but no... managed a soak in the tub and now I have 'company'... my brother suddenly turned up ... you can imagine ... big brother not at all impressed by sister getting drunk ... "

She knew that it wasn't that which was concerning Mark, but she couldn't get to the bottom of what actually was.

"He's not giving me too much of a hard time ... but then again, I didn't exactly offer up the details ... "

Mark didn't need to know she hadn't actually come home last night!
 
Ivan's study of the second video clip got interrupted by the ringing of his cellphone, he got the old phone out of his pocket and answered, he smiled as he heard her voice,

"Hello Lisa...don't worry about it, just glad to hear from you."

He listened to her with a small chuckle,

"Well at least he cares. Just let me know if he gets too much for you, I will come rescue you."

He chuckled,

"I really don't mind, but you know what is best for you and your family. If you do tell him that you slept here in my jersey I will have no problem with that."

He grinned, he could almost feel her blush,

"I'm going over the the tactics for the weekend, I hope you remember to come over tomorrow, the guys will have questions."
 
"Well at least he cares. Just let me know if he gets too much for you, I will come rescue you."

Lisa laughed at Ivan's words.

"Don't make rash offers Ivan. I may just take you up on that!"

She realised that she was only half joking.

"I really don't mind, but you know what is best for you and your family.
If you do tell him that you slept here in my jersey I will have no problem with that."


God, Lisa could just imagine how Mark might react to that bit of information.

"Probably best NOT to tell him that ... "

She replied with a chuckle.

"I'm going over the tactics for the weekend, I hope you remember to come over tomorrow, the guys will have questions."

She smiled relieved that it was 'business as usual' between them.

"Definitely ... I'm looking forward to it, Ivan. It's nice to be the bringer of good ... "

She turned and realised that Mark had entered the living room, a tray with an omelette prepared for her. But he hadn't announced his presence and seemed to be listening in on her call, which was ... unusual.

"...of good news."

She finished, then continued.

"I have to go. Seems big brother thinks I need feeding. See you all tomorrow. Thanks for ... everything ..."

She wanted to thank him again for taking care of her the previous evening and hoped he realised what he meant. Before she could make any comment to her eavesdropping brother it was he who queried.

"So it was the Russian you were with last night?"

She was taken aback by his question.

"Since when has my love life been any of your concern?"

As soon as the words were out, Lisa knew he had provoked her into making an error. Ivan was business, nothing to do with her 'love life'. She could easily have played it as such. Now she had to back track.

"Anyway, you're wrong. I was out with the team. It's business."

She sighed as she sat in the sofa and he put his tray of food in front of her, his smile almost placating.

"Not according to Mike Taylor."

Lisa frowned. What had the Chairman of Local Cup Competitions to do with her brother's obvious concerns ...?

"OK ... you'd best tell me what you've heard whilst I eat."

She told him wearily. After all, she knew Mark had her best interests at heart and wanted to put his mind at rest, but she was definitely intending to have 'words' with Mike at the earliest opportunity if he was going scaremongering to her family ...
 
"It was nothing printsessa, just take care and have a good evening."

And like that she was gone again, he stared at the phone for a while, he was really starting to think that he had grown attached far too quickly to this woman...he shrugged that off and stuffed the phone into his pocket. It was late evening when he was satisfied with the game-plan and set off to get into bed. It was only when he lay between the covers, realizing that the bed was indeed better than the sofa, that he noticed a smell that didn't quite fit.

He sniffed the air, but it did not originate from somewhere else, it came from nearby. Then it hit him, it was Lisa's perfume! That was one of the reasons he didn't immediately realize it as her's. Feeling a bit weird he took a sniff of the pillow on which her head had rested and laid back down.

"Well then..."

It was for the first time in years that he drifted off to sleep with a slight smile on his lips.
 
Lisa didn't believe it. And she told Mark so.
There had been many rumours when Ivan had arrived in England, she told him and when she had asked Mike about Ivan he had given no indication of any 'scandal' which she was to be wary of.

Mark had said that Mike had become concerned about her growing involvement with Green Dale and her association with Mr Thovenski and 'investigated further'.
They had 'agreed to disagree'. The vehemence of Lisa's refusal to think anything bad of Ivan told Mark more than he cared to know about his sister's growing feelings for the Russian, despite her denials.

"Just be careful sis,"

He hugged her as he left.

"And if he is all you think him to be, then ask him."

Lisa seemed to consider that option. But she protested that Ivan did not have to account to her for anything, yet Mark had to content himself that he had sown the seed and that Lisa was at least 'warned' about the man she was becoming 'involved' with.

Lisa sighed exhausted as Mark finally left.
Tomorrow she would go to the training session. She had already arranged to bring the mini-bus and the gym passes for the team members. She would decide what to do about the rumours she had been told about Ivan when she met with him again ...
 
The next morning Ivan went on with his regular day, he was at the grounds earlier than usual, taking a seat and looking out at the pitch, the advertisement boards, the slight advancement of the seating. All of it showed a certain amount money used to upgrade the stadium. He was impressed to say the least, if Lisa saw this as a "slight" improvement, he didn't want to see her mayor overhaul of something.

He stripped off his top and started with a series of warm-ups, this upcoming match was an important one and he wanted to make certain that he was on the pitch, driving the guys as hard as he could go himself. By the time he was ready the first of the squad started to show up. The looks on their faces said it all, Ivan waited for them in the middle of the pitch with a slight smile on his face. They stowed their gear and came over,

"Coach! What is all this?"

"Did we receive a sponsor?"

"Whoa look at those seats!"

Ivan waited for them to gather around him,

"Alright! Settle down gentlemen, first off we have an important match coming up this weekend, it is our first home venue for the final match of the season in a long time. I have a few plans that I want to test out through the week, we will have to show exactly why Green Dale have been having such great results this season. If we can really put on a good display of not just power, but precision and skill as well, you can bet your bottom dollar that we will attract attention. Already we have attracted attention, the person will be around later on to reveal the order of things to you and also answer any questions you may have. For now...WARM UP!"

The squad started with the basic standing warm-up, Ivan joined in and even jogged along with them again. When everybody was warmed up and ready to go, they set up the equipment and Ivan started drilling them with speed, agility and control drills, participating with them and drawing hushed whispers as he continued to not only keep up, but surpass their own efforts. Thus encouraging them to do even better.
 
Lisa did not let the 'rumours' Mark obviously seemed concerned about affect her judgement of Ivan. He was a man of integrity, of passion. She had the impression that there was possibly more than he had told her as to why he actually came to the UK, but that was really no one's concern. He had said himself that rumours circulated regularly about him and until it was proven otherwise she was content to trust the version of events that he had disclosed to her.

She arrived at the stadium shortly after the beginning of practice and slid out of the drivers seat of the minibus which proudly had the team name and badge emblazoned across it. The company logo was minimal, but she knew he would not question that. Hauling the shoulder back in place, Lisa locked the vehicle and made her way down towards the pitch where Ivan and the players were already hard at it. Glancing round she took in the amendments that had been made to the stadium with fresh eyes. She smiled approvingly; the place already looked so much better.

She stood by the side watching the practice, her eye always drawn to Ivan as he moved amongst his players. She could not deny that she was more happy than she should be about seeing him again and that she could do nothing but admire his physique, his relationship with his players and his work ethic. She waited until she caught Ivan's eye and then gestured that she would go sit down so that she did not disturb his routine.
 
He nodded at Lisa as she motioned that she would be sitting down and went about working with the team, he drove them hard, making sure that their attention stayed on the pitch and away from Lisa. It was later than usual when they finished,

"Grab your warm gear and gather round."

He walked over to where Lisa sat, picked up his own tracksuit top and slipped it on,

"Glad that you made it and that you survived your brother."

He gave her a slight smile, then motioned her on to the pitch where the team was already forming into groups,

"They're waiting for you."
 
She smiled as he nodded and moved to sit pleased to watch the practice and aware that Ivan wasn't compromising on the level of work he expected from the team. They were just beginning to make real progress and Lisa could not help but be excited at the prospect of what they might achieve with the right backing. Fascinated as she was with the progress of the training session, Lisa hardly noticed that it was later than usual by the time Ivan was satisfied that they had done enough. It was far from a hardship to be able to sit and watch them, and of course Ivan, at work.

"Grab your warm gear and gather round."

She stood as he approached her, giving him a smile as he pulled on his tracksuit top.

"Glad that you made it and that you survived your brother."

For the first time that evening she recalled the warnings that she had been issued with, but she merely rolled her eyes and made to comment walking beside him instead as he invited her to as they made their way back onto the pitch.

"They're waiting for you."

She halted in surprise.

"You haven't told them anything yet?"

She questioned wondering at the discipline of the players to focus so fully upon their session when they must be wondering what was happening.

"I think you should tell them Ivan ... about the sponsorship deal ... and then I'll tell them about the gym passes and the minibus. It's parked up and waiting for you ... "

She told him with a smile.
 
He smiled slightly,

"No they know nothing yet."

They stopped when they reached the waiting players, all in their tracksuits, warm cloves and beanies already in place against the chill settling in,

"Alright, I know you guys have a certain amount of questions, so let us settle a few of them. You have seen her around, this is Miss Hammond, she represent the company whose logo you can see all around you. She have generously decided to put the club on a trial period, after which she will decide if there is potential enough in your lazy bones to actually invest money in."

There was a slight murmur,

"And for the record, being five minutes late is a sure sign of lazy bones, I only tolerate it as there is no other midfielder available."

Chuckles spread through the group and hands found the back of the chastened player,

"Now there will be no great change in how we operate, you will still answer to me and if you disgrace the club in any way, you will be kicked out and stay out for as long as I am manager. You will train hard, rest enough, perform as best you can and if you do all of those we can party like we always do. No scandals, no uppity behaviour and the first one to gain a big head will be the first one to do a one hundred meter death crawl with me as weight."

There was a complete silence as he allowed it to sink in,

"We are all here, miss Hammond included, for the love we have for this game, the fact that you're in this club only means that you have placed honor in your community before money. Yes I know of the offers and no I will never stand in your way if you wish to leave, but all of you stay for a reason and that reason isn't just because you want to play some weekend footie, I'm driving you too hard for that. Deep inside you all know that you're doing this out of love, love for the community, love for the game and your love for your team mates. Miss Hammond is just giving us the chance to do better, to stand up out of the mud, hold our heads up and declare: 'Here we are, we are Green Dale.'"

He paused and looked around at the earnest faces surrounding him and Lisa,

"Right, my babbling draws to an end, miss Hammond also have a few words and she also generously offered to answer any other questions."
 
"No they know nothing yet."

Ivan accepted her offer for him to share the sponsorship news with his players.

"Alright, I know you guys have a certain amount of questions, so let us settle a few of them. You have seen her around, this is Miss Hammond, she represent the company whose logo you can see all around you. She have generously decided to put the club on a trial period, after which she will decide if there is potential enough in your lazy bones to actually invest money in."

It took all her powers of control to remain impassive as Ivan presented his version of the sponsorship terms.

"Now there will be no great change in how we operate, you will still answer to me and if you disgrace the club in any way, you will be kicked out and stay out for as long as I am manager. You will train hard, rest enough, perform as best you can and if you do all of those we can party like we always do. No scandals, no uppity behaviour and the first one to gain a big head will be the first one to do a one hundred meter death crawl with me as weight."


She looked around and could not help but be impressed by the respect he commanded throughout his team. Whatever past he might have, she felt she knew Ivan and had no concern about the man she had seen and knew he was.

"We are all here, miss Hammond included, for the love we have for this game, the fact that you're in this club only means that you have placed honor in your community before money."

She could not help but smile at him as he referred to her and the fact that she loved the game as much as them.

"Yes I know of the offers and no I will never stand in your way if you wish to leave, but all of you stay for a reason and that reason isn't just because you want to play some weekend footie, I'm driving you too hard for that. Deep inside you all know that you're doing this out of love, love for the community, love for the game and your love for your team mates. Miss Hammond is just giving us the chance to do better, to stand up out of the mud, hold our heads up and declare: 'Here we are, we are Green Dale.'"

As a speech it was inspiring. It was clear that Ivan did not see this as an 'easy ride' and was going to make sure that none of his players saw it as that either.

"Right, my babbling draws to an end, miss Hammond also have a few words and she also generously offered to answer any other questions."

She stepped forward as Ivan introduced her.

"As Mr Thovenski has told you, my company has undertaken to sponsor your club until the end of the season and throughout the Summer break in advance of next season."

She clarified looking round at the rapt expressions of the players who seemed to be hanging on her every word.

"At that time my company has first option on extending the duration of our sponsorship, which I have to admit, I hope will be the possibility should all parties be pleased with the partnership."

She glanced at Ivan before continuing.

"Though a positive working relationship is key to the success of sponsorship, as Ivan has told you, support of the local community and representing football as the beautiful game it is supposed to be is as important to me."

She continued, unaware she had lapsed into referring to their 'boss' in less formal manner.

"It is that, more than where you come in the league table that will determine the negotiation of any future sponsorship deals."

She let that settle in, before continuing.

"That isn't to say, that there is no expectation of enhanced performance, even given the fact that the season is so advanced."

Definitely less intimidating in manner, Lisa's expectations were no less emphatic.

"I know that Ivan runs a 'no excuses' policy around here, so, in order to make sure that none of you find yourselves in trouble with the boss, I've arranged for you all to have a gymn membership, effective I immediately, until the end of August in the first instance. You'll also have a room put at your disposal for team meetings."

She had arranged for a room to be set aside for their use and for refreshments to be provided during those times. She let the offer sink in.

"Oh and to make sure that you truly have no excuses, you have a minibus for your use for the same duration."

She took a set of keys out of her pocket and walked over to Ivan handing them to him.

"All the paperwork and details are in the vehicle. It's parked out front and it's all yours ... "

She told him hoping that he would be pleased by the generous fuel allowance and the other details which he would find in the folder which currently lay on the passenger seat.

"Any questions...?"

She offered, turning back to the assembled team members.
 
"Yeah I have a question, if we feel to do something as a team for a charity drive or somewhat, would that be against any rules?"

Ivan raised an eyebrow as Dan asked this, it was clear that the captain knew about the "after hours" work Ivan had put in for Lisa's sake.

"Oh and if we do place better in the rankings and get promoted, does that change anything? I mean more guys would want to join if we start to make name for ourselves."

Ivan held up a hand,

"Please guys, one at a time, give the lady a chance to actually answer."
 

"Yeah I have a question, if we feel to do something as a team for a charity drive or somewhat, would that be against any rules?"


Lisa could guess what had provoked that question, but before she could answer another player questioned.

"Oh and if we do place better in the rankings and get promoted, does that change anything? I mean more guys would want to join if we start to make name for ourselves."

It was Ivan who brought some order to the question time.

"Please guys, one at a time, give the lady a chance to actually answer."

Lisa laughed good naturedly.

"I'll answer all and any of your questions."

She told them.

"In regards to charity work, what you engage with individually is still obviously up to your own choices and interests, however ..."

She glanced at Ivan before continuing.

"However my company is sponsoring your club and any activities undertaken under the name Green Dale, even charitable activities will need to be approved by my company as your sponsors in advance."

She explained.

"Though I'm sure that should a local project which suits both our agendas be suggested, I see no reason for this not to be approved."

She paused as her words sank in then turned towards the second player.

"Promotion, or not will be a result of the end of the season. The current sponsorship deal will be renegotiated, or not at the end of this season, which I know is not that long away. Your gymn/minibus deal will continue. That is a personal undertaking by myself so that regardless of whoever sponsors Green Dale next season you will be as prepared as possible to meet your potential. However it is the new deal with my company or any other after that who will decide what changes or remain the same. But to reassure you, Ivan will be central to those negotiations and I'm sure that you can be confident that he will negotiate terms that are beneficial to all of you ..."

She paused as they considered her words.

"Next ...?"

She invited ...
 
"It seems that a lot is centered around the coach, what happens if he leaves?"

Ivan looked at her with a twinkle in his eye, he knew that they would pick up on that one
 
"It seems that a lot is centered around the coach, what happens if he leaves?"

The question took her by surprise. She glanced at Ivan and it was perhaps the expression on his face that made it difficult to keep the pink from suffusing her cheeks. Turning back to the player who posed the question, Lisa regained her composure before responding.

"You're right. This is all centered around Ivan."

She agreed deciding to be totally truthful with them.

"Bottom line is, I believe it is Ivan who can turn this club around and who can bring the success we all want and which is necessary from a business point of view. Your board and managers don't have the insight or skill necessary to make that difference."

She looked around and saw that none of those assembled disagreed with her evaluation.

"Ivan has assured me that he will stay until the end of the season, which is the time of our initial sponsorship period. Anything that happens after that is to be negotiated and therefore open to knew terms, but ... "

She hesitated before continuing.

"...sponsorship is about collaboration and mutual benefit. The trial period is as much about establishing a that relationship and seeing if it works for both parties. With a change of personnel, I cannot guarantee that the sponsorship offer would continue, it would depend upon the calibre of the replacement."

She looked back towards Ivan wondering if he wanted to add anything to clarify the situation, after all it was not for her to discuss Ivan's long term plans ...
 
Ivan noticed some of the attention shifting to him,

"Well I have signed on for a five year tenure, we are quite busy ending the first year of them five. As you all know I am only here to teach you more, to become the best that you can be. This is me, giving to you. I have no need nor rush to leave, since I have a lot of work to do to get you lot into any kind of shape to raise silverware of any kind."

Chuckles met his words, they knew that next season they will have another shot at getting out of the pool stages of the Community Shield and now things started to look even better now that a sponsor had stepped up.

"Now, I want you all to understand one thing, you will not be payed to play, so there will be no bonus nor contract talks. That only comes when this club have actually risen higher. All you guys can look forward to is harder training and getting worked so hard that you will either break or become a footballer that I can be damned proud of. For now you guys have done a bang-up job, but it have become time to step up our game. Once you find another person next to me, acting as head coach and I tell him or her what I want done to and with you, then and only then can you start to understand that we've moved on from where we are now."

A hand raised,

"Yes Danny?"

"What will our benchmark for fitness, power and skills be?"

Ivan gave a grin,

"Me."

The fact that he had not given up training with the guys and had kept himself in as good shape as when he played only impressed on them to what heights he was going to push them. He motioned to Lisa,

"And you must understand one thing, only when you surpass me, I will start to negotiate contracts, because then we will not be playing here anymore, it will be a proper stadium and miss Hammond here will find that I can be very persuasive when it comes to getting bonuses for those who excel."

He looked at Lisa,

"You have been warned."

He gave her a small grin and turned his attention back to the group,

"Are there any more questions regarding our immediate future?"

There was a smattering of mutters, but no real question came to the fore,

"Then we are done here gentlemen, time to get home and hit the showers, you lot smell like a herd of goats."

Laughter met his words and after a quick farewell he found himself with the slight form of Lisa next to him. The lights had been switched on and he looked at her,

"I will have to collect the cones, would you like to walk with me or do you have other engagements?"
 
"Well I have signed on for a five year tenure, we are quite busy ending the first year of them five. As you all know I am only here to teach you more, to become the best that you can be. This is me, giving to you. I have no need nor rush to leave, since I have a lot of work to do to get you lot into any kind of shape to raise silverware of any kind."

She saw the team relax with his assurances, but Ivan was nothing if not demanding with his expectations as he made it clear that they were not headed for an easy ride. She chuckled when Ivan declared himself the 'benchmark' for fitness, power and skills. Secretly she doubted that any of the men who surrounded her could match Ivan in regards to physique.

"And you must understand one thing, only when you surpass me, I will start to negotiate contracts, because then we will not be playing here anymore, it will be a proper stadium and miss Hammond here will find that I can be very persuasive when it comes to getting bonuses for those who excel."

She turned as he caught her eye.

"You have been warned."


She returned his grin, the expression in his eyes sending a warmth through her body that she made every effort to ignore. Focusing with effort back on the team, it seemed that the initial queries and concerns had been addressed at least.

"Then we are done here gentlemen, time to get home and hit the showers, you lot smell like a herd of goats."


Ivan dismissed them with that candid observation as she watched the men head off. Only once all was quiet and dark did he turn back to her once more.

"I will have to collect the cones, would you like to walk with me or do you have other engagements?"


She laughed.

"Ivan, I think you've forgotten something more valuable than cones ..."

She paused, but saw that he had no idea what she was talking about so she took his hand in one of hers and dipped into her pocket to place the minibus key into it and close her fingers over them.

"I'll show you where it's parked. It's all yours. Check out the information in the box file on the drivers seat. Your gym membership details are all in there too ... "

She smiled, pleased that she had managed to secure this for them.

"I'd better head off ... I have to make my way home before it gets too late..."

She told him. She could have called a taxi, but like the other day, Lisa thought she would walk ...
 
Back
Top