The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get nothing of that today.

Work 1-5 PM so that means sandwiches for lunch, then I have to do my grocery shopping for the next two weeks. Maybe I'll pick up something easy to make for supper tonight as a treat.

You have my sympathy. It's a bit like missing Christmas, I guess.
Personally, I enjoyed my Bangers & Mash; with real gravy.

I get nothing of that today.

Work 1-5 PM so that means sandwiches for lunch, then I have to do my grocery shopping for the next two weeks. Maybe I'll pick up something easy to make for supper tonight as a treat.
I've got a tonne of leftovers. You're welcome to some. :)

What do you mean, "real" gravy? Is there any other kind?

Thanks! How about something with bourbon?
I'm having a mudslide. How's that? No bourbon here.

Damn. I'm glad that's over.
Aww, I'm actually sorry my friends had to leave. Of course one of them has to drive 45 minutes to home and her boys have school tomorrow.

OMG I love bangers and mash; Colcannon too. There's an English/Irish/Scottish pub around here that serves the best dishes from those three garden spots. In spite of being of Scottish descent, I have yet to try the Haggis, but they make a great Scotch Pie. :D

Damn. I'm glad that's over.

Yay! Congrats! Hope it all went well.

I'm having a mudslide. How's that? No bourbon here.

I'm game.

Busy day. First, I volunteered to deliver meals for the local food bank. Then headed over to the parents for Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, the works. Desert was a chocolate cream pie and a pumpkin pie.

Thanks! How about something with bourbon?

OK, no sweat.
Rolf: something gentle in the bourbon, please?

What do you mean, "real" gravy? Is there any other kind?

Sadly, the art of making real gravy seems to have escaped both the modern girl and the cafe. A packet mix of something roughly equating thereto. Does not taste the same at all.

Busy day. First, I volunteered to deliver meals for the local food bank. Then headed over to the parents for Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, the works. Desert was a chocolate cream pie and a pumpkin pie.

Very charitable of you, I'm sure.
But I confess to being puzzled by the expression 'Cream Pie'; in your case 'chocolate'. Is that a chocolate-flavoured sauce or something equally tasty ?

My old Mum used to make a Trifle with loads of fruit and cream (real; and then whipped). and I have loved it ever since.

I had home-made (well store-bought ingredients) mini pizzas for my supper last night and will have the leftovers for lunch today as I have to work 1:30 - 10 PM.

I doubt I'll get any writing done before Monday. :(

OK, no sweat.
Rolf: something gentle in the bourbon, please?

But I confess to being puzzled by the expression 'Cream Pie'; in your case 'chocolate'. Is that a chocolate-flavoured sauce or something equally tasty ?

My old Mum used to make a Trifle with loads of fruit and cream (real; and then whipped). and I have loved it ever since.

Thanks for the drink, man. It was chocolate mousse with a chocolate pudding bottom layer in a chocolate pie crust topped with whipped cream.

I had home-made (well store-bought ingredients) mini pizzas for my supper last night and will have the leftovers for lunch today as I have to work 1:30 - 10 PM.

I doubt I'll get any writing done before Monday. :(

I just got home from my post-Thanksgiving work day, glad it's over. I'm right with you on the writing. Haven't really gotten anything done in a week despite having the document staring me in the face.

With an entire family that cooks and cooks well, nothing comes from packages on holidays and rarely on other days, too. As to gravy? I prefer reduction sauces--with heavy cream.

Anyway, we're cleaning up leftovers so I can return to my diet by Monday.

With an entire family that cooks and cooks well, nothing comes from packages on holidays and rarely on other days, too. As to gravy? I prefer reduction sauces--with heavy cream.

We cook that way here. If I'd tried to feed the family something from a package, I would have been stoned or cast out.

Thanks for the drink, man. It was chocolate mousse with a chocolate pudding bottom layer in a chocolate pie crust topped with whipped cream.

> Drool,< >Slurp< Delicious !

Real gravy starts with the meat juices as I recall. . . . .
I'll put the cream on the dessert, thanks.

We cook that way here. If I'd tried to feed the family something from a package, I would have been stoned or cast out.

And rightly too.
But for Heaven's sake, don't tell my daughters.
[they consistently refused to get Mum's methods and are 'suspect' cooks, bless 'em..]

*enjoys a glass of chocolate eggnog* It's the season for it, so why not?

> Drool,< >Slurp< Delicious !

Real gravy starts with the meat juices as I recall. . . . .
I'll put the cream on the dessert, thanks.

And rightly too.
But for Heaven's sake, don't tell my daughters.
[they consistently refused to get Mum's methods and are 'suspect' cooks, bless 'em..]

Food should be prepared with respect and care. One must respect the animal that sacrificed the meat, respect the plants that provided the grain and the vegetables, and respect all those who intend to eat the finished product. It should be prepared with an eye for the artistry, a nose for the fragrance and a joy for the flavor.

You can't get any of that by opening a box.

applausecitkanewellsnz5.gif

Food should be prepared with respect and care. One must respect the animal that sacrificed the meat, respect the plants that provided the grain and the vegetables, and respect all those who intend to eat the finished product. It should be prepared with an eye for the artistry, a nose for the fragrance and a joy for the flavor.

Oh Molly, "Encore" I say.
But try telling that to some kid who's Mama hasn't the wit to try and cook, let alone pass that skill on to her daughters (OK, maybe Sons as well).

Bear, would you please expalin how to do that moving picture thing ?
I cannot even get a picture on the screen

Sadly, the art of making real gravy seems to have escaped both the modern girl and the cafe. A packet mix of something roughly equating thereto. Does not taste the same at all.

I have to agree on all points. My mother did her best to teach me how to make her creamy cheese sauce for REAL macaroni and cheese. I made it for a party last year and it got rave reviews.

Anyone want a glass of sparking raspberry/white grape juice?

*enjoys another sip*

Oh Molly, "Encore" I say.
But try telling that to some kid who's Mama hasn't the wit to try and cook, let alone pass that skill on to her daughters (OK, maybe Sons as well).

Bear, would you please expalin how to do that moving picture thing ?
I cannot even get a picture on the screen

Then I would say Papa better step up. Fine cooking is not gender specific. The responsibility should not lie solely upon the mother for the teaching.

I have to agree on all points. My mother did her best to teach me how to make her creamy cheese sauce for REAL macaroni and cheese. I made it for a party last year and it got rave reviews.

Being married to an Italian--and a very rigid one at that--one does not have much call for making cheese and mac. Here it's all about the red sauce.

I spent the day with my MIL and all the women of the family for the traditional tortellini-making for the Christmas soup. The veal for the filling was less than perfect, but the finished product (sampling is a big part of the tradition) is superb. We also used a ricotta filling I got from Uncle Joey. It's a sinful delight of garlicky cheese and spinach with nutmeg and a few other ingredients.

Christmas will be delicious.

Being married to an Italian--and a very rigid one at that--one does not have much call for making cheese and mac. Here it's all about the red sauce.

I spent the day with my MIL and all the women of the family for the traditional tortellini-making for the Christmas soup. The veal for the filling was less than perfect, but the finished product (sampling is a big part of the tradition) is superb. We also used a ricotta filling I got from Uncle Joey. It's a sinful delight of garlicky cheese and spinach with nutmeg and a few other ingredients.

Christmas will be delicious.

I'm part Italian and I have to agree about the red sauce...as God intended. :D My mouth is watering reading about your Christmas dinner, sounds a bit like what we are having. Homemade ravioli...and red sauce.

*Sigh* Long week of work ahead and not looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back