Grab the Nearest Book...

Maid of Marvels

Lurking with Intent
Joined
Jul 30, 2001
Posts
5,184
Simple rules, handy tools...

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Turn to page 28.
3. Read the 10th sentence.
4. Post the text of that sentence here.


purloined (with permission) from
beansoup
 
Vigorous trade on the Silk Road helped spread Kushan culture.

Patrick

(source: Lonely Planet, Central Asia)
 
to extremes of wickedness every other day of the week.
"What Lips My Lips Have Kissed"
Daniel Mark Epstein​


You may (but don't have to) post the title and author of the book. Me? I wanna know. But it would be fun to guess, too -- even if you make up a title. ;)

Whatcha think?
~Maid :heart:
 
"But folks, I have to tell you, in the bullshit department a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman."

(Source: Napalm & Silly Putty, by George Carlin)
 
I looked at her in silence. I have a rule not to argue with women

The insatiable spider man by Pedro Juan Gutierrez
 
No readers?

Duke Ferdinando I (who had started his career as a cardinal in

Galileo's Daughter - Dava Sobel
 
"Thufir Hawat slipped into the training room of Castle Caladan, closed the door softly."

any guesses?
 
I thought it was kind of an obvious 10th sentance... but, it's what it was!
 
They had dwelt in the mountain valleys - and, formerly, in the foothills, as well - since the World Death ended the Time of the Gods, and were themselves the descendents of gods.

Okay, obscure, I know. But feel free to take a guess.

(Okay, it's The Savage Mountains , by Robert Adams)
 
Last edited:
This one didn't turn out so well. The 10th sentence on pg 28 is...

"See?"

But that was the nearest book. The next nearest book (of prose anyway) goes like this...

ok this one's fuckin' lame too. Forget it.

What the hell else do I have around here? Ok this aint prose, this is screenplay. GAH! 28 is a blank page. I'm not kidding.

Strike 3. I'm out.
 
"I'll go to some island where they don't have a flyer of their own."


If someone can guess that one, I'll give them a cookie.
 
Calyxxx said:
"I'll go to some island where they don't have a flyer of their own."


If someone can guess that one, I'll give them a cookie.

Well, I thought I had it with a guess of Jonathon Livingston Seagull , but when I leafed through it for confirmation, I was proven wrong. I'll keep trying to place it.
 
two gossips broke up with a mutal "Dex ais"; and Hugh pushed

~ Wine of Satan by Laverne Gay
 
She was alone in Behavioral Science and had the run of the place.
 
As the sounds of the bells died away a voice began to speak from somewhere high up in the gloomy shadows above their heads.
 
We finally decided on the potter's field, because practically every body in Christchurch was embalmed; a thing of course ruinous to West's researches.
 
"What do you want to do about submitting them to the Executive Meeting?"

Good luck because, frankly, I think you're going to need it. :)
 
Every hour be firmly resolved, as becomes a Roman and a man, to accomplish the work at hand with fitting and unaffected dignity, goodwill, freedom, and justice.
 
And Rebecca arose,and her damsels,and they rode upon the camels,and followed the man;and the servant took Rebecca,and went his way.

No prizes for guessing this one.
 
It was she who had alerted my father to Nelson's eradication. One...

(It almost sounds literary. ;) )
 
"Walking a long way to them, too," said Lord Peter, "to get such blisters as that."
 
It was high, higher than any bond-price set in my years at Cereus House.

Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carey
 
Back
Top