Is my story in the right category?

rikimaru4

Experienced
https://www.literotica.com/s/tara-and-the-presidents-ch-01

I have it listed in the Transgender & Crossdressers section, but in looking at virtually every story on there, it feels more like it is geared toward well... real life transgenders and crossdressers. Even the "futanari" stories involve characters who were just "always this way" which really doesn't have any distinction between a transgender or hermaphrodite person.

By contrast, my story is explicitly about females who have been transformed/altered into growing a cock and all that subsequently ensues :D

It feels more like it belongs in sci-fi/fantasy, but I can easily, easily foresee readers getting turned off/pitch-fork angry by the subject matter.

Thoughts?

Based on your description, it could find a home and an audience in either location.

Based on your description, it could find a home and an audience in either location.

Thanks... it's the latter I'm more worried about. I may try to put out the next chapter in sci-fi/fantasy and see what happens.

If anyone has any feedback about the story I'd be happy to hear it too :)

I just read your chapter. At my first thought, I was pretty skeptical about it working in Trans/CD. However, you already have two positive comments—so maybe I was wrong. The reception so far based on the current score is also positive. With that in mind, I would be hesitant to switch around in the categories as that often leads to loosing readers from the one you're already in.

I was going to say before reading it; It really depends a lot on where you plan to take the next chapters. I still feel the same way. But based on this one, I don't see it as Sci-Fi. Hopefully someone who knows the Sci-Fi category readers better will come along and let you know more about what those readers generally expect.

By the way; well written and super unique idea.

Transgender.

I’ve just read and enjoyed the story. From what you’ve written, if it had been my story, I would definitely have put it in TS&CD.

If you intend to continue with the “chicks with dicks” theme then it should remain in TS&CD. Swapping from one category to another will only harm the story. If you put the next chapter in a different category readers who’ve enjoyed the first chapter won’t know it’s there unless they’ve begun following you.

Quirky and fun!

My suggestion would be to leave it where it is.

I suspect that you plan chapter after chapter, but I reckon it works brilliantly just as it is, a short short story with all of its unwritten promise. But that's the writer in me saying stop now, it's a tiny gem; but I'm sure you'll write the next chapter, not your next story. Just make sure you know when to stop :).

I just read your chapter. At my first thought, I was pretty skeptical about it working in Trans/CD. However, you already have two positive comments—so maybe I was wrong. The reception so far based on the current score is also positive. With that in mind, I would be hesitant to switch around in the categories as that often leads to loosing readers from the one you're already in.

I was going to say before reading it; It really depends a lot on where you plan to take the next chapters. I still feel the same way. But based on this one, I don't see it as Sci-Fi. Hopefully someone who knows the Sci-Fi category readers better will come along and let you know more about what those readers generally expect.

By the way; well written and super unique idea.

It's only my second story on Lit and I'm finding it to be an interesting but kind of strange place. I think I've been very lucky with the comments/feedback based on what I've seen and read. The scoring is a pretty subjective thing and I see a lot of competing philosophies about what constitutes a good/great score, but I suppose in the end it doesn't matter.

I think you are right re: the category. I can only imagine someone coming on here looking for intergalactic sexcapades or elven romp sessions and coming across my story instead :eek:

Anyway, thank you! And re: it being a unique idea, I am honestly kind of surprised and disappointed by that, as I'd really love to read someone else's story that is similar.

Quirky and fun!

My suggestion would be to leave it where it is.

I suspect that you plan chapter after chapter, but I reckon it works brilliantly just as it is, a short short story with all of its unwritten promise. But that's the writer in me saying stop now, it's a tiny gem; but I'm sure you'll write the next chapter, not your next story. Just make sure you know when to stop :).

How interesting a remark! I wonder if you'd feel the same way about the other story I submitted on here -- I think that first chapter concludes in a pretty similar fashion.

I'll be continuing as there are some other plot points that extend beyond this initial event, and mostly because I feel there's plenty of other writers who are far better than me at crafting scenes that are super hot while still leaving a lot to the imagination. I mostly occupy the lower tier of writing really explicit smutty stuff :devil:

But I like to think I do know where to end a story and avoid becoming endlessly repetitive, which I assume is what you are alluding to, having read plenty of those stories myself. Time will tell!

Anyway, thank you all for your input -- TG & CD is where this story shall live for its duration.

Well, my little serial story has concluded this week. It's rated well but still a bit ambivalent on the category.

I've been poking around Lit members interested enough to favorite my chapters or follow me and through their lists I was at least able to find some stories similar to mine, which is, again, females transformed into futa -- and virtually all of them were in the sci-fi category.

And as I continue look at TG & CD, it really seems like the category is totally for... well, TG and CD!!!

I wonder if I missed out on a lot of readership/views... :confused:

Anyway, thank you all for your input -- TG & CD is where this story shall live for its duration.
If you're planning more chapters on the theme and if, as you say, these kind of stories are mostly in sci-fi and fantasy, you could ask for a category change. That way, you'll keep the story score and comments, and when you post later chapters, everything will be in the same place.

Alternatively, post all future chapters in sci-fi and fantasy, with a link to the first story in the introduction of Chapter 2 (Laurel will allow the link, you just need to let her know in the Editor's Note). That way, your next coterie of (sci-readers) will be able to easily find Chapter 1. You could add your own comment to Chapter 1, letting TG&CD folk know where the later chapters are.

There are a couple of ways to skin the cat.

I've had a few story ideas regarding futanari, but haven't gotten to writing them yet. Where I'd put them would probably depend on the kind of story it is. If the characters were born that way naturally and otherwise it's just a general story set in our world, it'd probably fall under transgender I think, or at least that's where I'd put it. I've not read that category much though, so I don't know how well those stories will be received there, just my first reaction.

However, if the female characters get a dick through some form of magic or scientific process (like an injection of some sort, or DNA manipulation or whatever), I'd probably put them in Sci-Fi/Fantasy indeed. This is where my ideas fall, it's a full on fantasy world even outside of them growing a dick. Fantasy readers do seem pretty open-minded though, from what I've heard, so I don't think these kinds of stories would do too bad there either.

If you're planning more chapters on the theme and if, as you say, these kind of stories are mostly in sci-fi and fantasy, you could ask for a category change. That way, you'll keep the story score and comments, and when you post later chapters, everything will be in the same place.

Alternatively, post all future chapters in sci-fi and fantasy, with a link to the first story in the introduction of Chapter 2 (Laurel will allow the link, you just need to let her know in the Editor's Note). That way, your next coterie of (sci-readers) will be able to easily find Chapter 1. You could add your own comment to Chapter 1, letting TG&CD folk know where the later chapters are.

There are a couple of ways to skin the cat.

story's done now already, so it's really only your first suggestion or nothing at this point.

Probably won't do anything beyond wondering 'what if..?' and move on to the next one :)

Fantasy readers do seem pretty open-minded though, from what I've heard, so I don't think these kinds of stories would do too bad there either.

That was my initial concern too. I think I should have given them the benefit of the doubt. My story fell into the same vein as yours -- I'll keep an eye out for yours!! It's a pretty small pond.

That was my initial concern too. I think I should have given them the benefit of the doubt. My story fell into the same vein as yours -- I'll keep an eye out for yours!! It's a pretty small pond.

Having read your first chapter now, I can see why you were wondering. It's definitely on the sci-fi side of the fantasy/sci-fi category, but so far it doesn't seem too far ahead of our current time and technology. As in, stuff that might be possible in 10-20 years, with some suspense of disbelief (like how quickly it worked). Yet there are no advanced AIs, humanoid robots walking around, it's not taking place on a spaceship or whatever... So it's not full-on sci-fi or anything either.

Have to say though, I'm definitely going to read the other parts soon. It was very well written and an interesting story, looking forward to knowing where this goes (although do have some ideas, hehe...)

As for my story... It's just an idea at this point, which doesn't have much more priority for me than the others in my story ideas file. I'm not sure when I'll get to writing it, and i'm not a very fast writer either. Besides, it'll probably be a very long, multi-chaptered story, well beyond anything I've written so far. Wouldn't dare put any estimation on when that might be done. It'll be fully on the fantasy side by the way, using magic as the means of transformation instead of science.
Anyway, I'll write down your name and drop you a PM when/if it's done and published on here. But again, no promises on any sort of timeframe for that.

Thank you for taking the time to read :)

It's a pickle isn't it?? The premise was devised specifically to set it apart from traditional TS/CD so my feeling is it shouldn't be there, even if thematically it's much the same; but then, as you say, outside of the inciting plot device, there isn't much sci-fi there at all.

Traditionally, I have written mind control stories, but even then my writing doesn't fit squarely in that category either. Mostly the themes are corruption/alteration, which I find very sexy for whatever reason... but those themes are just too broad to neatly fit into any box.

Anyway, yes! Certainly do let me know if you ever get around to your story!

Back