Found something, don't know what it is.

elli1point1

Literotica Guru
Hi!
I found this object on the beach today (see attached pictures). It's really heavy and feels like metal. Some people've said it looks like flint, but it doesn't feel like stone and the shape is rather unusual.

Any alternative ideas? (I've heard enough stone age dildo jokes already today, so please refrain).

Attachments

• 28951991_10215569350169146_8800429184894305158_n.jpg
    28951991_10215569350169146_8800429184894305158_n.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 29027072_10215569350449153_7717067950002886424_n.jpg
    29027072_10215569350449153_7717067950002886424_n.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
Fossilized tentacle tip? Or maybe fossilized baby squid torso?

Wrong shape for any tooth I've ever heard of.

Edit: I suppose it could be the tip of an old anchor, but I would expect a tad more curvature.

Last edited:
Fossilized tentacle tip? Or maybe fossilized baby squid torso?

Wrong shape for any tooth I've ever heard of.

Edit: I suppose it could be the tip of an old anchor, but I would expect a tad more curvature.

Any of those would be rather amazing. I'm thinking of just walking into the archaeology department of the local university and waving it around.

i don't know where you're located but it looks almost like some sort of prehistoric or american indian tool. some sort of grinder or a weight for a net? it also looks like it could be a heavily encrusted piece of metal. part of an old anchor, as someone already suggested or some other flotsam from a ship?

i don't know where you're located but it looks almost like some sort of prehistoric or american indian tool. some sort of grinder or a weight for a net? it also looks like it could be a heavily encrusted piece of metal. part of an old anchor, as someone already suggested or some other flotsam from a ship?

Found it on an English beach, so unlikely it's a Native American tool.

Last edited:
Actually i think it's probably a peg of some kind from a wooden ship. Though i'm fairly certain its "petrified wood" from the pictures you've posted. I say its a peg of some kind because the second picture the thing is definitely shaped.

Hi!
I found this object on the beach today (see attached pictures). It's really heavy and feels like metal. Some people've said it looks like flint, but it doesn't feel like stone and the shape is rather unusual.

Any alternative ideas? (I've heard enough stone age dildo jokes already today, so please refrain).

Get your magnet and see if it sticks. If it sticks it's iron. Of course it could be another metal. It certainly looks like it was worked and it looks old, very old. It could be a pounding stone for carving rock. I suppose it could be a stone hammer that is held in place by leather straps. With a wooden handle. Very interesting. Keep us posted!

I’d youre on reddit post it there someone will come along and tell you exactly what it is!

Could it be ambergris, conveniently shaped for easy passing? 😂. Let’s hope so because that stuff is worth a mint. You’re rich!

I think I'll stay away from Reddit and bother our archaeology people instead :D

I'm looking forward to them telling me "that's just a stone" :rolleyes:

1) That's awesome, and please pass along the information you get from the archaeologists!

2) For future reference, how many stone age dildo jokes did you have to hear before you heard "enough"? (Asking for a friend)

Get your magnet and see if it sticks. If it sticks it's iron. Of course it could be another metal. It certainly looks like it was worked and it looks old, very old. It could be a pounding stone for carving rock. I suppose it could be a stone hammer that is held in place by leather straps. With a wooden handle. Very interesting. Keep us posted!

if it isnt metal...is there a concoidal fracture on the open end?

Honestly, checking the thing with a magnet is a good idea, but i'm skeptical that thing is a hammer. It just doesn't have the right shape for a hammer head and most ancient hammer heads are made from metal or stone. The pictures show what im pretty sure is petrified wood.

I don't have a magnet, damn.

2) For future reference, how many stone age dildo jokes did you have to hear before you heard "enough"? (Asking for a friend)

I'd say more than 5 Facebook comments by 5 different people in a row making the same joke is generally beyond acceptable – whether it involves dildos or not. :rolleyes:

Petrified wood. That’s what happens to most erections when I go near them.

:D

Hi!

It's most likely a clinker: slag from a coal burning ship, nicely eroded by the ocean.

Fascinating thing. It looks 'worked' to get that regular shape. I so hope the archaeologists have an interesting answer for you.

The first thing that came to my mind is a spear of some sort, perhaps a normal spear or even perhaps a small harpoon...

I too am interested in what is decided it is by someone of experience.

Tip broken off Poseidan's Trident.

poseidon-large.jpg

So the archaeological trust person says it's just flint. :(

I emailed the archaeology department as well; we'll see....

Answer from archeology department:

"It looks like a discoloured flint nodule but it isn’t worked. It is likely to be a fossil of some sort."

Not sure how it can be flint and a fossil at the same time. :confused:

"It looks like a discoloured flint nodule but it isn’t worked. It is likely to be a fossil of some sort."

Wilma's Flint stone dildo?

Found this quote:

"A wide range of fossils can be found within flint nodules, indeed in many instances the nodule itself is in fact an internal mould of a sea creature.

The silica accreted around the nuclei of organic remains and biogenic structures, such as the remains of sponges or the burrows of crustaceans. Therefore the flint fossils you find reflect the diversity of life and the activities of creatures on the seafloor at that time. Among the most commonly found flint fossils include sponges, echinoids, shells and of course trace fossils i.e. burrows.

Pseudo flint fossils

Flints nodules are often mistaken for fossils. Since Discovering Fossils was launched we've received countless emails from visitors claiming to have discovered a variety fossilised objects. Among the best includes a 'fossilised human foot', a 'man's arm' and a 'goat trotter'! None of these were in fact fossils strictly speaking, instead what they had discovered were flint nodules that had formed to resemble such objects (pseudo fossils). However it is likely that these objects were trace fossils, such as lobster burrows. In these instances the silica would have filled and overgrown the creature's burrow, thus forming a flint copy of the structure."

If the best they've seen is a 'goat trotter', you should send them a picture of your 'Neptune penis'... ;)

Back