Intolerance

How do you deal with people who have what you think are imaginary food intolerances?

• Total voters
It's where our bodies get a lot of nutrients and fiber and all that good shit. Think what you're losing in a gluten free diet, it's a lot. You need that shit. People on real gluten free diets have to replace very carefully so they don't get sick.
Fad diets and people who wanna be special often don't do that.

Nods. It comes from the endosperm of the wheat kernel where you get wheat germ. Wheat germ itself was a fad diet at one point. That was a high gluten diet

After witnessing the state of our world's oceans, I don't know how anyone can ever eat seafood.

You've "witnessed the state of the world's oceans?"

All of them?

To what depth?

ok, i do believe that no one should be allowed to heat up fish in the workplace

there is nothing like turning the corner and getting hit in the face with the smell of nasty fish

I have a co-worker who says that about curry, which is an ever present smell in the office kitchens. We sometimes grimly joke, thanks to the memory of shellfish girl, that someone should fake a curry allergy. We never would do that, of course. One brush with a crazy selfish co-worker with a faked allergy is enough.

Because it's delicious.
Yes, yes. This.

My Mom claims to be celiac and needs gluten free. She makes a HUGE deal about it, especially when going out to eat.

Mind you, she will eat cookies or cakes I bake. Dinner rolls when out. I call bs. Never have seen a reaction. :cool:

So the plan is to somehow make millions of dollars that I can spend freely. This I admit is a bit of a roadblock.
Then I pay to do the Cameron thing and go to the bottom of the world.
By this time civilian space travel will be common place at least for the wealthy.
I get my ticket and go to the very top of the world.
I win. Of course I'm assuming none of those other rich guys hadn't already thought of the exact same thing.
Stupid plan.

Oops, shit sorry. didn't mean to hijack. carry on.

Unless you actually have a specific protein reaction to gluten humans digest gluten just fine. It is nothing more than water soluble protein. only Celiac patients need worry and that's simply reaction to the protein.

many people benefit from a gluten-free diet but it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual gluten. The point is that modern grain which is then highly-processed is bad for you because it is a lot of empty carbohydrates and has very little nutrients. Heritage wheat, stone-ground, with plenty of gluten is actually quite good for you.

Adding extra gluten to your baking would actually make it slightly more nutrient rich, not less.

That said, I don't really think it matters what people choose for their diets. They could simply choose to eliminate a particular color of food and that would probably improve their diet only because it makes them mindful of what they're putting in their mouth.

Thank you for setting the doctor straight, Mr. Clavin.

My Mom claims to be celiac and needs gluten free. She makes a HUGE deal about it, especially when going out to eat.

Mind you, she will eat cookies or cakes I bake. Dinner rolls when out. I call bs. Never have seen a reaction. :cool:

I know someone like that. Once, we were at a bar and I was having a blast but then we all had to leave because the bar didn't have potato vodka. It is not about her diet. It is about her need to control the group.

I have seen her eat pie with crust, birthday cake and pizza.

I know someone like that. Once, we were at a bar and I was having a blast but then we all had to leave because the bar didn't have potato vodka. It is not about her diet. It is about her need to control the group.

I have seen her eat pie with crust, birthday cake and pizza.

I'd cut a bitch.

I'd cut a bitch.

Tell me about it. She is so annoying.

And then I have another friend who had celiac so badly, she started losing her hair before she was diagnosed. Always happy to make concessions for her and change the restaurant location for her. The difference is she would just wait to eat at home while crazy girl pulls out the gluten card when she isn't getting enough attention. This thread is more about the psychology of attention seekers and narcissists than it is food choices.

Did anyone mention natural selection and genepool filtering? TL/DR.

I can be very tolerant and bend over backwards for someone with legit eating limitations (for instance, I love cooking for vegetarians), but check this story out.

An employee 10 years ago says she has a shellfish allergy so severe, just coming in contact can make her ill. HR sends out an all building alert saying shellfish can't be microwaved or stored in the fridge. For years, the entire office obeys the ban until one day someone notices shellfish girl is eating gumbo with shrimp. He freaks out and asks if he should get her an epi pen and she calmly replied she is not allergic, she just doesn't like the smell of seafood being heated up and HR misunderstood her. People were pissed because her imaginary allergy meant an office of more than 200 people changed their eating habits for years because of her. She transferred about three months after that.

We used to have a receptionist who bitched at the smell of my pickled or smoked fish. I was always kind enough to drop off some salmon skins into her wastebasket when she wasn't looking, any chance I got.

I treat them just like I hope other people treat me: with kindness and respect. I don’t eat meat, I appreciate it if my host makes something without meat in it however if that doesn’t happen I will eat when I get home.

I think it’s asshole behavior to monitor other people’s eating habits or requests.

I can be very tolerant and bend over backwards for someone with legit eating limitations (for instance, I love cooking for vegetarians), but check this story out.

An employee 10 years ago says she has a shellfish allergy so severe, just coming in contact can make her ill. HR sends out an all building alert saying shellfish can't be microwaved or stored in the fridge. For years, the entire office obeys the ban until one day someone notices shellfish girl is eating gumbo with shrimp. He freaks out and asks if he should get her an epi pen and she calmly replied she is not allergic, she just doesn't like the smell of seafood being heated up and HR misunderstood her. People were pissed because her imaginary allergy meant an office of more than 200 people changed their eating habits for years because of her. She transferred about three months after that.

I am tolerant of any dietary requests or requirements. It isn't my call to tell someone what they should or shouldn't, desire to or not to eat. BUT, they need to be truthful. If it's a legitimate requirement, like a nut allergy, or just a preference, like being vegan, I don't really care and will go out of my way to accommodate it.

My daughter will not eat mushrooms, not because she is allergic but because of something that happened many years ago. When she was young, arrogant and stupid (like many of us tend to be in our youth) she and her friends believed someone that told them that a certain mushroom was hallucinogenic, but didn't bother to tell them how to process it. They picked and dried several Amanita muscaria then she ate one. We spent the next 20 hours in the emergency room with her in a coma. She came out of it with no lasting repercussions except for her aversion to eating any mushrooms. Because of that incident, when someone says they don't want to or will not eat something, I don't ask why, I just accommodate their wishes. They very well could have a reason similar to my daughters.

However, if I find they are claiming a dangerous allergy when none exists, or find they have a chosen preference only when they feel like it, we will have a rather blunt and scalding conversation on the subject.

I'm easy, but I ain't no patsy.

Comshaw

And then I have another friend who had celiac so badly, she started losing her hair before she was diagnosed. Always happy to make concessions for her and change the restaurant location for her. The difference is she would just wait to eat at home while crazy girl pulls out the gluten card when she isn't getting enough attention. This thread is more about the psychology of attention seekers and narcissists than it is food choices.

i have a nephew with crohns who should eat a very specific diet in order to function normally. But, he does not. He eats crap from McDonalds, etc and then, whines about his plight. I ignore him.

I have a co-worker who says that about curry, which is an ever present smell in the office kitchens. We sometimes grimly joke, thanks to the memory of shellfish girl, that someone should fake a curry allergy. We never would do that, of course. One brush with a crazy selfish co-worker with a faked allergy is enough.

Yes, yes. This.

Is that why selfish and shellfish are nearly homonyms, do you think?

All threads on the GB eventually devolve to that, in any case.

Last edited:
So the plan is to somehow make millions of dollars that I can spend freely. This I admit is a bit of a roadblock.
Then I pay to do the Cameron thing and go to the bottom of the world.
By this time civilian space travel will be common place at least for the wealthy.
I get my ticket and go to the very top of the world.
I win. Of course I'm assuming none of those other rich guys hadn't already thought of the exact same thing.
Stupid plan.

Oops, shit sorry. didn't mean to hijack. carry on.
But imagine how much your ears would pop.

We used to have a receptionist who bitched at the smell of my pickled or smoked fish. I was always kind enough to drop off some salmon skins into her wastebasket when she wasn't looking, any chance I got.

I like salmon skin crispy, when I grill it. (Yes, I know, has nothing to do with pickled or smoked.)

i can be weird about where i personally eat, when it's just me and the family, because there are things i cannot tolerate. i have a very sensitive stomach. i find eating at chain restaurants, buffets and the like have an adverse effect on me. it's always a roll of the dice when eating out. always. i think it has to do with cooking oils. something. that being said, as long as i know where a bathroom is, i tend not to complain. i have a list of trigger foods, that no one really needs to know about. you don't need to know i get sick almost overtime i eat italian food out, but can eat it when it's cooked fresh in my house, and i can control everything. my body doesn't absorb nutrients properly. i've been to the ass doctor and everything is peachy clean. i have no answers. that being said, i do not like to put other people out. i can always find something to munch on, and no one needs the gory details.

i did eat an amazing lettuce wrapped buffalo burger yesterday with sweet potato fries, and my stomach was perfectly happy. i will be going back there. i could have a similar meal somewhere else and not be so lucky. it helps when the ingredients are fresh and the ranch where the meat came from is available. i can literally feel the difference in my gut. there were no fillers. but that's between you and me.

Back