UK News

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Posts
25,720
#NoCapitulation: How one hashtag saved the UK university strike


From the brink of defeat to an unexpected success, academics at universities across the UK used social media to organise a hugely effective protest movement


The next morning, by the time Grady reached for her phone, protests were planned, local meetings were overflowing, branch representatives were heading to London to vote. The tone had shifted from defeat to action. There was no need, Grady says, to cajole union representatives into voting against the deal — it was clear what members wanted. "The branch I'm a member of, 350 [people] voted, and all to reject," she says. "More wanted to take part, but couldn't get in because of capacity issues."

Placard in hand, Rooksby kept checking his phone for text messages and Twitter updates. By midday his branch representative messaged that it was clear the deal would be rejected, describing the union leadership as "taken aback". "There was a renewed sense of optimism," says Rooksby. "Throughout the day, UCU branches up and down the country met and rejected this proposed deal."


By y 16:00, it was confirmed that the UCU would reject the deal. "It's unusual for members to defeat the leadership, for them to be taken by surprise from a movement from below," said Rooksby. "If feels like the leadership are running to catch up."


http://www.wired.co.uk/article/no-capitulation-uk-university-pension-protest-twitter


British university lecturers are in their fourth week of a militant, historic strike—taking a stand not just against austerity, but for a more humane, democratic higher education system.

March 15, 2018

At more than sixty institutions, members of the University and College Union (UCU) voted overwhelmingly to strike, and so far the walkout has unfolded in fourteen days across four consecutive weeks, this being the week of greatest disruptive effect.


Students have rallied around their lecturers on the understanding that “their working conditions are our learning conditions,” as many banners proclaim, a slogan notably similar to that of West Virginia’s simultaneous teachers strike. Students don’t need to be told that the pension cuts are transpiring, inexplicably, at the very moment their own costs have risen to more than £9,000 annually (a result of a tripling of fees introduced in 2010). Tens of thousands of students have demanded money back for every class day lost to the strike, a tactical demand not at all incompatible with something more elemental that is emerging in student consciousness: a rejection of the model of students as consumers by fee-greedy institutions, in favor of a restoration of the humane conception of students as creators and seekers of knowledge.

University managements clearly did not expect so broad a strike, or one of such lasting duration, carried out with such force of expression, rocking almost every one of their institutions. They also did not anticipate the drubbing they took in the press, especially from those newspapers most likely to understand the threat to British universities’ global competitiveness if its pension system were damaged. (The Financial Times deserves a special tribute for its sheer magnificence.) Faced with employee rebellion, student criticism, and blistering press coverage, one university after another signaled a change of heart, the watershed being Oxford University’s about-face.


https://www.dissentmagazine.org/onl...versity-pensions-austerity-student-solidarity

Will this strike continue into April and May 2018 ?

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...university-staff-irate-over-pensions-deal-ucu
 
If the Government had the sense to stop all funding of 'basket weaving' degrees and pass legislation encouraging (not enforcing) Universities to amalgamate, many, perhaps 40% of academics would be out of work. That might help Universities pay the good ones (teaching the tough courses) properly. But the academic trash needs to be cleared out first.

However, the chances of Theresa May making a decision- any decision, are virtually nil; particularly one which puts half a million third rate students on the unemployment roll.;)
 
A thoughtless lunkhead used a tasteless and hurtful subject, to illustrate a dog's inability to comprehend human political concepts, and an utter lack of ability to understand dreadful suffering, tragedies, and injustice, contained in human history The dog raised its paw to be rewarded with treats, and praise. The dog responded to the way the offensive phrases were expressed, not the words themselves. The man used the same questioning tone of voice, as is used in exciting a dog- "walkies ?" "nice marrowbone ?" "yummy dog treats?"

It was a malicious joke aimed toward his girlfriend, not a malicious joke aimed at the Jewish community, or others, harmed by Hitler and the Nazis.

Being an insensitive twerp, he released a video into the public realm. Are there not private channels for keeping a video among family and friends ?

The whole point of his activity and labor, was to hurt his girlfriend's feelings. He knew what it was he was doing and why.


March 22, 2018
Rabbi Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center pointed out that had Meechan posted the video from the US there would have been not legal action taken.

He said: “But other democracies set different red lines on hate speech that have to be respected. Speech may be free, but there are consequences for one’s actions.”

He compared to other online hate "this incident would not register as an offense worthy of jail time".

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...-of-huge-attack-on-my-character/?ref=mr&lp=12


(gsgs comment- Our local PBS station in Boston did not air the German version of Monty Python until decades, later. Our Boston community embraced the Jewish community, as the UK had. Inclusiveness and recognition started early. Sensitivity was key, and remains a part of the Boston community.

Yes, we were witness to the episodes of Monty Python that ridiculed Hitler and the Nazi party.

It was context that softened the images. OTOH, America has a problem- Free speech allows neo-Nazi groups to speak in public, and their rights are granted against the wishes of the majority of the community.

This farce is taking place-
Authur Jones, whom the GOP has denounced as a Nazi and who has a section on his campaign website devoted to denying the Holocaust, was unopposed in the primary and won the Republican nomination to represent the Illinois 3rd District in Congress.

I suppose it's possible some of the 4,093 people in Will County who cast ballots for Jones did so knowing about his anti-Semitic views but supported him anyway because of his stances against abortion and same-sex marriage.


More likely, the 65 DuPage County residents who voted for Jones, 70, didn't know about his former membership in the American Nazi Party or that he ran for mayor of Milwaukee as a member of the National Socialist White People's Party in 1976.


link-

Steve Brown, spokesman for state party chair Mike Madigan, said courts have upheld the redistricting process in the Land of Lincoln.

"There is no gerrymandering in Illinois," Brown said. "Their whining about that is not factual."

There was ample publicity prior to the election about Jones' Nazi affiliations, he added.

"How anybody could vote for this individual is mind-boggling," Brown said. "It was a conscious effort to cast those votes."

I think the number of votes cast for Jones is another statement about the perils of uneducated voters. Despite record early-voting numbers, turnout ended up at just 28.5 percent of suburban Cook County's 1.5 million registered voters.



https://www.chicagoreader.com/Blead...ow-art-jones-is-now-a-congressional-candidate


http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ry-election-recap-st-0322-20180321-story.html

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...nd_guilty_of__being_grossly_offensive_online/
 
A thoughtless lunkhead used a tasteless and hurtful subject, to illustrate a dog's inability to comprehend human political concepts, and an utter lack of ability to understand dreadful suffering, tragedies, and injustice, contained in human history The dog raised its paw to be rewarded with treats, and praise. The dog responded to the way the offensive phrases were expressed, not the words themselves. The man used the same questioning tone of voice, as is used in exciting a dog- "walkies ?" "nice marrowbone ?" "yummy dog treats?"

It was a malicious joke aimed toward his girlfriend, not a malicious joke aimed at the Jewish community, or others, harmed by Hitler and the Nazis.

Being an insensitive twerp, he released a video into the public realm. Are there not private channels for keeping a video among family and friends ?

The whole point of his activity and labor, was to hurt his girlfriend's feelings. He knew what it was he was doing and why.


March 22, 2018
Rabbi Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center pointed out that had Meechan posted the video from the US there would have been not legal action taken.

He said: “But other democracies set different red lines on hate speech that have to be respected. Speech may be free, but there are consequences for one’s actions.”

He compared to other online hate "this incident would not register as an offense worthy of jail time".

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...-of-huge-attack-on-my-character/?ref=mr&lp=12
Are you actually supporting this conviction?
The fact that we're now jailing people for innocent jokes, to me, is a staple of how the we in the UK in fact absolutely doesn't have a legal justification to say we care about free speech.

You don't need free speech to protect people from saying "hey isn't everything great and I love apple pies", AKA toeing the current dominant socio-political narratives. The only reason the whole concept of free speech exists is to protect people with the most controversial and odious ideas from, for example, being imprisoned for hurting feelings. A completely unprovable and arbitrary standard of measurement for discerning harm.

Making hurt feelings an imprison-able offence literally only serves to lock up people who don't align with contemporary politics, it does not lead to fair application of the law. E.g. I am grossly offended that we might lock a guy up for making a Nazi joke, so what do we do now? Repeal the law because it causes offence?
 
(gsgs comment- Our local PBS station in Boston did not air the German version of Monty Python until decades, later. Our Boston community embraced the Jewish community, as the UK had. Inclusiveness and recognition started early. Sensitivity was key, and remains a part of the Boston community.

Yes, we were witness to the episodes of Monty Python that ridiculed Hitler and the Nazi party.

It was context that softened the images. OTOH, America has a problem- Free speech allows neo-Nazi groups to speak in public,

Free speech is NOT a problem because it allows people who disagree with you or the majority to state their opinions or argue their positions.

and their rights are granted against the wishes of the majority of the community.

THAT IS THE POINT OF RIGHTS!!!

That's why they are enshrined in an almost impossible to change document called the Constitution.


And thankfully too so that fascist scum like yourself can't take away our freedom of speech. ;)
 
I've always been amazed at the UK ability to speak in multiple languages. Anyone know anything about that?
 
I've always been amazed at the UK ability to speak in multiple languages. Anyone know anything about that?

We are close to Europe. Until recently learning a foreign language was compulsory in most schools. However our linguistic competence is pathetic compared with most other European countries. Many Europeans speak better English than the average Brit.

I started learning French and Latin aged 7, adding Spanish at 9. I can make myself understood in German, Italian and Serbo-Croat.

My six-year-old granddaughter is learning French and Japanese...

My eldest daughter is competent in Mandarin and Cantonese. She is fluent in French, German and Italian.
 
They have to learn foreign words so they can eat in decent restaurants.
Entirely true. We rely on other countries to provide our sustenance because traditional British food is awful.

Like wow a sausage made of dried pig blood and a sheep stomach filled with offal how appetizing.
 
They have to learn foreign words so they can eat in decent restaurants.

What can be confusing is that the UK version of Restaurant French is not the same as the French original, and that other European countries also have their own variants of 'Restaurant French'.

As for food from the Indian sub-continent? Many dishes sold in the UK are wholly unknown in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.
 
I used to be a fan of the Labour party until they started doing nonsense like this. They want to only shortlist women in the next party leader election to guarantee the next leader is female. Discriminate in the name of equality!

Women in the Labour party should be even more opposed to this than the men in it because the logic being applied is that obviously a woman can't successfully compete with male candidates. They assume that women just aren't as good and don't know what they're talking about and so when you run men against women in an actual meritocratic election obviously the men will win, and they want to make sure that won't happen by only having female candidates.

It reminds me of that now-deceased supreme court judge Scalia you had in the US. The man believed that black people should be put in slower paced schools than white people. Not for malicious reasons, he just genuinely believed black people weren't as smart as whites and so it would be helping them to prevent them from having to compete academically with white students.
But for some reason when you flip it from a race issue to a sex issue the proponents are hailed by some in the left wing as forward thinking revolutionaries?
 
Last edited:
I used to be a fan of the Labour party until they started doing nonsense like this. They want to only shortlist women in the next party leader election to guarantee the next leader is female. Discriminate in the name of equality!
Maybe stop discriminating in the first place?
 
Back
Top