Mint and Honey

"It's alright, little one. Be a daddy's girl for as long as you can." Yasmine murmured as she looked down at Aleister's little girl. "You only have so long to be cuddled."

Andra was a beauty and it was clear that she loved her Da. And hated the healer. That much as and Yasmine had in common.
 
"I don't know how Ma and Papa manage it," Alex sighed, looking at Andra as she settled. "They hardly ever have trouble with children."

"Yer still young yerself, Alex," Aleister said with a smile. "Ye'll learn."
 
"You have to be fearless with children. They can sense when you are afraid or uncertain." Yasmine said, giving a smile to Aleister. "She's a beautiful little girl. You should be very proud."
 
"Tha' I am." Aleister kissed Andra's forehead. "Kay's asleep, then?" He asked Alex.

"I made sure she was. Even Andra didn't wake her. As much as Kayla hates not joining you down here much, she needs to be one-hundred percent before Ma or I are willing to let her put in a full day's work again," Alex explained. "And we're constantly surprised at how well Andra's doing. You'd never have even guessed she was ill."
 
"Ah, so his little one played a part in her mother being ill?" Yasmine asked as Alesiter snuggled his daughter tightly. "That's alright. It will make your bond that much more."

Yasmine tucked her bag of pastries under an arm, glancing at the healer. "I have an herbal blend from home that I could make. It's for new mothers that have gone through trauma. Many woman have no choice but to continue working. Perhaps your wife would like to try it, Aleister?"
 
"Depends on wha' Kay's caretaker says," Aleister muttered, looking to Alex.

"I'm willing to try anything, especially if it helps her to not feel so miserable and useless," Alex nodded. "Healing is one thing, but depression from being bedridden is entirely another."
 
"Mister MacNamara, if you would come by the barracks at dinner, I will get you something for your mother." Yasmine commented as soon as Alex gave his consent, looking towards Lynndon as she tasked him with the duty of getting the herbal mixture from her.
 
Lynn couldn't help but smile at Yasmine, a little hope coming to his eyes for his mother's well-being. Since she'd been bedridden, there was the constant doubt at the back of his mind that she would ever get better despite everyone assuring him it'd just take time. "I'll be there," he promised quickly, Aleister ruffling his hair fondly.

"I'll be off, then," Alex said softly. "I'd like to see how Kate and Kell are doing.

"Kate's got Vincenzo, lad," Aleister chuckled. "She's in th'best hands possible."

"Still. I feel better seeing for myself." Alex nodded to Aleister and Lynndon and then to Yasmine, and even Yasmine could see he was starting to burn out by the weariness in his eyes before he turned and stepped out.
 
"Now, do we think that we should just let him go off to work?" Yasmine asked, looking down at Lynndon. "Forget what I said earlier. Go get your little brother and we're going to take the healer to the festival. He won't have a choice today."
 
"Alex always works through everything," Lynndon told her. "Just like Aunt Val and Papa used to."

"Well maybe y'should help 'im break tha' habit, lad. Go on', get Jamie. I'll send ya both with some money." He scooted his son toward the stairs, the boy finally disappearing up into their home to get his brother. Aleister turned to Yasmine. "I appreciate it, lass. Means I'll be able t'spend a little time with Kay an' Andra. The boys mind well, even if they do get a li'l excited." It was something Yasmine had seen of widely-known families in Inverness. They knew there were friends and good folks all around, and so didn't mind letting their children go into town or the villages. Aleister in particular saw a trustworthy woman in Yasmine.
 
Jamie was a little more steady on his feet than the last time that Yasmine had seen him. He held Lynn's hand tightly, looking up at his Da with familiar blue eyes and his stuffed wolf under his other arm. The little boy was the spitting image of his father, but he had his mother's haunting gaze. He would certainly break hearts when he was older.

"Are you ready to go, lad?" Yasmine asked, crouching down to look Jamie in the eye as Lynn quietly collected some money from his Da. "We're going to take the healer and show him how to have a good time."

"Mama?" Jamie asked, looking up at his father.

"She's going to get some good sleep while we're gone and she'll be perfectly fine by the time we get back. I promise you." Yasmine tempted Jamie, giving him a warm smile as she offered the little boy her hand.
 
"She needs rest more'n anythin', lad. Go on, I'll keep a close eye on 'er." Aleister leaned down to kiss each boy's forehead before giving Yasmine a nod and a smile. "Enjoy yerselves. Kay an' I'll probably go tomorrow."
 
"Come on, young Mister MacNamara. Let's get into some trouble." Yasmine said, taking Jamie's hand and allowing Lynn to walk on his own.

Yasmine was a natural with children, just as excited as they were for the most part. She lived a simple life and enjoyed simple things. She wanted the two boys to have a good day to forget some of the sadness they had gone through lately.
 
Lynn was a local favorite, greeted seemingly by everyone from the neighborhood around Aleister's bakery. Jamie was not yet as well known, but he was treated just as kindly. As they approached the market square, there was color and sound everywhere as musicians had come out to perform and perhaps earn a little extra coin and decorations were being finished up by locals.

Even guards stationed around or patroling on horseback seemed brighter, some having draped pine wreathes from their saddles or carrying bannered spears with festive flags. A few other Axemen were around enjoying themselves either sampling food or playing cards near small bonfires or warming up inside open businesses that gladly allowed folks in to get away from the cold.
 
"What should we see first?!" Yasmine asked, glancing down at Jamie who seemed a little nervous at all that was around him. "Perhaps we should listen to come of the musicians? Or maybe go see some of the performers?"

Jamie shook his head and pressed himself against her leg, shyly pressing his forehead against her leather guard on her hip. "Oh, come on now. I don't believe you're really that shy."

She crouched down to his height, looking him in the eye as he sucked on his thumb nervously and looked to his big brother to give him courage.

"It's all something you have to figure out on your own, little one. No one else can give you courage. Either your heart is bold and fierce or it isn't. Both are alright. However, I think you can be as courageous as anyone else in the world." Yasmine insisted, grinning at him as he slowly nodded.

"Go see Grandpa." Jamie said softly, his thumb pulled out momentarily before it was put back into place.

"Right. We'll head to the tavern and see if anyone has seen him." Yasmine said as she lifted Jamie up onto her hip and motioned for Lynn to lead the way.
 
Last edited:
As Lynn went along, he managed to spot Alex who'd paused to speak with a patient out enjoying the festival.

"Alex!" Lynn called, making Alex turn to look at them in surprise. Alex quickly said farewell to his patient before coming to them.

"I thought you were helping your Da run the bakery," Alex said as he ruffled Lynn's hair with a smile.

"He sent us out to the festival. We're going to find Grandpa," Lynn told him excitedly. "And you have to come and stop working so much."

"Lynn..." Alex sighed. "I'm taking over for Ma right now."

"No, you're overworking yourself like usual and she wouldn't be happy about it," Lynn countered, making Alex chuckle softly.

"You do the same for your Ma all the time. Surely you understand."

"I do, but I also know that there are plenty of other healers and you haven't taken any time off all year," Lynn muttered, crossing his arms. Alex hugged the boy against his side with a kind smile.

"I forget sometimes how stubborn you are."
 
"As stubborn as a mule. It runs in the blood of this family." Yasmine commented as Jamie suddenly pointed off into the crowd.

"Grandpa!" Jamie called out, wriggling out of Yasmine's arms to hurry over towards Boar. "Grandpa!"

Yasmine watched as the little boy raced towards Boar, nearly tackling the man as he hugged him around the legs tightly. Boar was out with Lucy, taking the girl to the festival as her fathers were busy with preparations in the were village.
 
"Jamie, lad," Boar laughed as he scooped up the boy and kissed his forehead. Lynn was soon at his side too, but patiently waited his turn as he saw Boar had a cane that day. Whenever there was a change in weather or he'd overexerted his ruined knees, Boar would use a cane for a day or two until he felt better. He'd just about hated Valentina for making him start using it that autumn, but it was proving to be quite the help and Emma wouldn't let him struggle too hard if she could help it. Some days she'd even force him to stay home when it got too bad.

As Alex and Yasmine approached, Boar gave them a smile. "Hiya, Al. An' you mus' be Yasmine. My brother mentioned you." Being another old officer of the Axemen, Boar often discussed the current Axemen and sometimes helped Durban and Sam in training them. Yasmine was hard to miss, being perhaps the only Middle-Eastern woman in the town that wasn't clearly a trader or a trader's wife.
 
"Yes, sir. Yasmine al-Zariq." Yasmine said, introducing herself with a slight nod of her head. "I stopped by Mister MacNamara's shop and these two were ready to go to the festival. Lynndon promised to show me around my first festival here in Inverness."

Lucy smiled at the new woman, glancing at Lynn as he finally got his hug from his grandfather. "I'm helping Grandpa get some fruit for Gran. She wanted to make some tarts before the ceremony tonight."

Lucy often helped Boar when he wasn't feeling his best. She would carry the basket when they were shopping or help him with his horses and hounds. The entire family would go for a boar hunt tomorrow to celebrate if the weather were good.
 
Boar glanced between Yasmine and Alex and there was a slight question in his eyes as to what they had to do with each other. But he asked instead, "An' you, Al? What're you up to?"

"I was off to check in at the keep, but the boys insisted I take a break to enjoy the festival."

"Good. Yer too much like yer Ma, y'need t'enjoy yourself fer once." Boar welcomed them to come with him to one of the newer markets. A large roof had been built over an outdoor stone floor for an outdoor market that was covered from rain and snow. Between the usual market and the holiday additions, it was bright and lively and there were tribal Lunars and Erygonians there sharing traditions and music.
 
"Gran wanted some pears and apples." Lucy commented as they passed by the covered stalls, the bright music and dancing making her smile. "And maybe some plums. She wanted to make something for everyone for tonight."

Jamie seemed to be warming up to the situation, looking around at all of the sounds and colors curiously. It made Yasmine smile to see him willing to step outside of his comfort zone and experience new things...even if it was from his grandfather's sure embrace.
 
"Ye'll be there, right, Al?" Boar asked, looking to his nephew.

"I promised I would be," Alex nodded.

"An' how about you, Yasmine? Got any place t'go other'n the barracks tonight?" Boar asked with a kind smile. The Ghis often invited friends and those who didn't have a family or friends to celebrate with whenever there was a holiday or big event.
 
"Nothing pressing to attend to, sir." Yasmine commented, giving him a grin. "I suppose that Lynndon here might be able to persuade me to come."

"I made all of the cakes this year for the feast. You can come and at least try them." Lynn commented, looking up at his grandfather with a sense of pride. "Da said I did good enough that I get to learn the secret recipe."
 
"Yer Gran'll be jealous," Boar chuckled before his attention returned to Yasmine. "Any Axeman- or woman- is welcome at th'Ghis table. Well, Julia prefers we don' bring our axes an' swords t'the table, but I'm sure I could sweet-talk 'er."
 
"I promise that I will be on my best behavior, sir." Yasmine said with a chuckle as he mentioned that swords and axes weren't allowed at the Ghis table. "I will even promise the healer that I won't brawl tonight and save him the trouble of setting more broken bones."
 
Back
Top