Article on the financial prospects of selling erotica

DevinRush

Virgin
Joined
Nov 26, 2017
Posts
13
I posted a previous thread on making money from writing erotic fiction, and I got some helpful answers. Making money isn't my primary thought when it comes to writing erotica, but my question was prompted by the article linked below.

Check out this link:
http://writersweekly.com/this-weeks...onth-writing-and-selling-erotica-by-anonymous

It's an article, dated two years ago, written by an anonymous person who claims that they are/were able to make $10,000 per month by writing and selling erotica on Amazon.

Does this sound plausible? Does it sound more like an exaggeration? Is it a lie?
 
I once saw a report which said something like over 90% of all internet traffic is for porn. I took that to mean there's a huge wide world of perv's out there who want to read/watch porn.

So, is the potential there? Yes. Can someone sell erotica and make money? Yes. Can it be done at that level? I doubt it. This reads more like those "Make money at Home!" or "Make $5000 per week selling real estate" scams.
 
Wasn't this written before the last pseudo-incest purge?

When you could still sneak that through, and even more likely when straight-up incest got through, those numbers might be a little more plausible with a large volume of rapid releases that are of reasonable quality, had catchy titles, and good covers.

Now? Not a chance. The market is too flooded, and those high-volume incest stories don't make it to the storefront.
 
I once saw a report which said something like over 90% of all internet traffic is for porn. I took that to mean there's a huge wide world of perv's out there who want to read/watch porn.

The conclusion's certainly correct, but 90% would be a massive exaggeration. It depends a bit on how you define "traffic", but the true figure seems to be more like fifteen percent, tops (which, granted, is still a lot!)

The higher estimates seem to come mostly from people who have something to sell, be that filtering software or a morality crusade.
 
Back
Top