Toplists functioning

RejectReality

Literotica Guru
For those who were concerned about it, the toplists for all categories seem to be functioning properly now.

If you see one that still has frozen pages or notice one freeze in the future, report it to Manu, because it looks like he can fix them now. Or, just drop a line here and I'll pass them along in a consolidated message.

Upside..they work! Now the stories that had top billing for a long time unfairly will ne replaced.

Downside for all the new stories showing up there. ..get ready because you are new sniper fodder:eek:

curioser and curioser...

For those who were concerned about it, the toplists for all categories seem to be functioning properly now.

If you see one that still has frozen pages or notice one freeze in the future, report it to Manu, because it looks like he can fix them now. Or, just drop a line here and I'll pass them along in a consolidated message.

This is just my curiosity - I've noticed it for a while and ignored it, but as you posted this message, I thought I might ask - for a while, there's a discrepancy between the Top List for the top rated poems of the last 12 months, where one of mine, Heisenberg's Principle, has a rating of 4.69 and 13 votes, whereas on my author's page it has a score of 4.89 and 9 votes. Another poem on the same list, I Dream of You, has a score of 3.64 with 14 votes, whereas on my author's list it's 3.9 with 10 votes.

Mind you, this is simply curiosity for the reason behind the discrepancy - the only thing I can think of is that some sweep didn't affect the top list but did affect my author page(s). Other ideas?

I am quite proud to be the first (identified) female writer listed on the Incest HOF. (In order I mean) About time my sh*t got on there. I've had two that never showed up, ever. There's a few no gender specified above me but hey if you don't list it then you don't count.

Last edited:
I am quite proud to be the first (identified) female writer listed on the Incest HOF. (In order I mean) About time my sh*t got on there. I've had two that never showed up, ever. There's a few no gender specified above me but hey if you don't list it then you don't count.

Congrats!

Beachbum1958 is owning that list, seven of the first 22 spots.

This is like Christmas morning. Its great to look at all the lists and see new stories there.

They're always out of date by about 24 hours. They update in the wee hours of the morning. ( EST )

So, if you haven't looked for a while, and only cross-referenced with the newly functioning lists, it's possible a sweep removed those votes since you last looked, and the next update to the toplists will reflect it.

Otherwise, it's a completely different bug people have noticed over the years where sometimes a submission that has been swept won't update in the toplist until it matches or exceeds the number of votes it had prior to the sweep.

That one seems to be very sporadic, and sometimes corrects itself.

=========

If the information I passed along was what got the toplists running again, it's likely that several other bugs we've been experiencing such as the vanishing contest link on the index page and the front page glitches may be fixed as well.

From what I was seeing, they were all connected.

This is just my curiosity - I've noticed it for a while and ignored it, but as you posted this message, I thought I might ask - for a while, there's a discrepancy between the Top List for the top rated poems of the last 12 months, where one of mine, Heisenberg's Principle, has a rating of 4.69 and 13 votes, whereas on my author's page it has a score of 4.89 and 9 votes. Another poem on the same list, I Dream of You, has a score of 3.64 with 14 votes, whereas on my author's list it's 3.9 with 10 votes.

Mind you, this is simply curiosity for the reason behind the discrepancy - the only thing I can think of is that some sweep didn't affect the top list but did affect my author page(s). Other ideas?

When clicking "More Lesbian Hall of Fame" at the bottom of the Lesbian category, I got this error:

Bad Gateway: (Error 502

The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, recieved an invalid response from the upstream server it accessed in attempting to fulfill the request. We apologize for that.

Additional info: Bad Gateway (502) on l-i

When I attempted again, it went through. However, clicking repeatedly on pages 4 and 5 resulted in the same error. When refreshing page 1, I got the error again.

When clicking "More Lesbian Hall of Fame" at the bottom of the Lesbian category, I got this error:

Bad Gateway: (Error 502

The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, recieved an invalid response from the upstream server it accessed in attempting to fulfill the request. We apologize for that.

Additional info: Bad Gateway (502) on l-i

When I attempted again, it went through. However, clicking repeatedly on pages 4 and 5 resulted in the same error. When refreshing page 1, I got the error again.

Right now I'm getting the 502 error trying to get to the top lists.

Now will someone tell Manu to get story series out of there? A single chapter, the highest rated one, would do nicely instead of hogging the list with dozens of stories from the same series.

Seeing a Chapter 14 of some story leaves me frustrated and curious at the same time.

This has come up several times. I agree with you. If those chapters could be consolidated somehow. I don't mind seeing one, but 5 slots taken up with Chs. 2 - 6 is so frustrating.

Now will someone tell Manu to get story series out of there? A single chapter, the highest rated one, would do nicely instead of hogging the list with dozens of stories from the same series.

Seeing a Chapter 14 of some story leaves me frustrated and curious at the same time.

This has come up several times. I agree with you. If those chapters could be consolidated somehow. I don't mind seeing one, but 5 slots taken up with Chs. 2 - 6 is so frustrating.

We've been trying to get something done about this for years and years.

A chapter is not a story. It is only part of a story. The whole thing shouldn't have any score that is eligible for any honors until it is finished and then all chapters are averaged to give the whole a score.

IMHO anyway.

A chapter is not a story. It is only part of a story. The whole thing shouldn't have any score that is eligible for any honors until it is finished and then all chapters are averaged to give the whole a score.

IMHO anyway.

The total score of the series as a whole would be a great idea too. Something like:

Blah blah Series (Average score of all chapters posted till now, combined)

The main problem here is hogging of precious HOF space by an incomplete stories. You can't click on any story and just start reading. IMO, that's irritating.

especially in the case of a certain series in incest where the author has used some 'scourian" tactics including bribes and "I'll stop writing here if..." threats to get his readers to pump his stories.

I'm happy to see most of the stories that I have showing up on various top lists are stand alone stories.

The one series story that shows up high on a list is a chapter two and that was the conclusion it was a two part story because I didn't want to publish one at 15 lit pages and it had a perfect break in the story to divide it.

I don't think I've ever seen this idea before when the ongoing "chapters vs. standalones" discussions came up.

I like it!

Implementing something like that would cost me two of my current four HOF rankings, but I wouldn't have any problem with only the highest rated chapter of a series being able to be listed in the All Time HOF. It would still get an author great exposure and would simultaneously open up the list to many more high quality stories.

I would assume all it would take would be adding the proper mathematical hocus pocus equation to the current coding to have it recognize multiple chapters of the same story and automatically push all but the highest rated one off the list.

When you think about it, this is probably both the simplest solution and the most equitable one also, to the "us vs. them" battle that has raged here forever. :)

Wonder what Laurel or Manu would think of the idea...and its feasibility?

I've already seen the difference with the lists functioning. Stories that never showed up that should have are now getting a lot of favs and comments.

IMHO anyway.

This. A single chapter isn't the story and shouldn't be competing against full stories (just as novels shouldn't be competing with short stories in the theme contests. They are a different form of work. The contests should have minimum/maximum word limits).

IMHO anyway.

I would go for this for one main reason

The series would have to be finished, meaning authors who never completed their work are not being "rewarded"

But with that comes an issue...how does the site know its finished? Does the author pm Laurel and say "complete" with the link? And how would they know to do that? Very few authors actually come to these boards.

I would go for this for one main reason

The series would have to be finished, meaning authors who never completed their work are not being "rewarded"

But with that comes an issue...how does the site know its finished? Does the author pm Laurel and say "complete" with the link? And how would they know to do that? Very few authors actually come to these boards.

Something would have to be added to the FAQ or a note put somewhere prominent.

Back