Best sentence you've ever heard?

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Winston Churchill in August 1940 referring to the RAF Battle of Britain pilots.

From Wikipedia:

The Royal Air Force (RAF) and Fleet Air Arm (FAA) had included personnel from outside the United Kingdom from before the beginning of the Second World War and many served in the Battle of Britain in 1940. Many were volunteers from the British Empire and refugees and exiles from occupied countries in Europe.

The RAF Roll of Honour recognises 574 pilots, from countries other than the United Kingdom, as flying at least one authorized, operational sortie with an eligible unit during the period between 10 July to 31 October 1940, alongside 2,353 British pilots. The numbers differ slightly from the participants whose names are engraved on the Battle of Britain Monument in London, unveiled on 18 September 2005.

All pilots, regardless of nationality, who flew with British units during the Battle are known collectively, after a phrase coined by Winston Churchill, as "The Few".


For example, the Poles:

Polish pilots were among the most experienced in the Battle; most had hundreds of hours of pre-war flying experience and had fought in the 1939 Defensive War and/or the Battle of France. The Polish pilots had been well trained in formation flying and had learned from combat experience to fire from close range. By comparison, one Polish pilot referred to the close formation flying and set-piece attacks practised in the RAF as "simply suicidal".

The 147 Polish pilots claimed 201 aircraft shot down. 303 Squadron claimed the highest number of kills (126) of all Allied squadrons engaged in the Battle of Britain. Witold Urbanowicz of 303 Squadron was the top Polish scorer with 15 claims. Sgt Tony Glowacki was one of two Allied pilots in the Battle to shoot down five German aircraft in one day, on 24 August (the other being New Zealander Brian Carbury). One Polish veteran, Stanislaw Skalski, became the top-scoring Polish fighter ace of the Second World War.
 
"OK. OK, fine. I'm the Champion. Are you happy now?"
- the Champion
 
"Thanks to your incompetent ice-creamgineers... I everything Triple-Ripple-Vanilla-Road-monkey."
- Uncle Creamy, destroyer of worlds
 
"Oh, the Tick tossed the salad."
-Arthur, sidekick

"All right! I bought his brain!"
-the Tick
 
In a cult, there is a guy at the top who knows it's a scam. In a religion, that guy is dead.

OK, so it's two sentences. From my notebook. Can't attribute it, but tried.
 
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Winston Churchill in August 1940 referring to the RAF Battle of Britain pilots.

For example, the Poles:

Polish pilots were among the most experienced in the Battle; most had hundreds of hours of pre-war flying experience and had fought in the 1939 Defensive War and/or the Battle of France. The Polish pilots had been well trained in formation flying and had learned from combat experience to fire from close range. By comparison, one Polish pilot referred to the close formation flying and set-piece attacks practised in the RAF as "simply suicidal".


And a very good illustration to be found here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYzkJwxTwQ

The action starts at about one minute.

Favourite line?

"Repeat please".
 
From the legal drama film titled "Michael Clayton."

- "I'm Shiva, the God of death."
 
From the political drama TV show titled "the west wing."

President Bartlet: Three swimmers from the men's team were killed, and two others are in critical condition, when, after having heard the explosion from their practice facility, they ran into the fire to help get people out. Ran into the fire. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels, but every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard. We will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars.
 
"You are way too qualified to be a rabbiit."
"There's too much Spanish in the world." - old guy
A Slipping Down Life
 
"It's not my job to help you navigate state bureaucracy."
-Municiple Court Judge
 
"Uh-uh. No way. He wasn't good enough for suicide."
-Getting Away With Murder
 
"...and I looked 'round that room, and I wondered:

'Am I the only one that can see it?'

...and if so:

What must I look like to them?"

- The Eagle Has Landed
 
... apparently when the woman said strip down facing me, she was referring to my credit card...
 
T'Pau: Live long and prosper, Spock.

Spock: I shall do neither: I've killed my captain and my friend.
 
"It began, as many things do, with a death.
And a burial on a spring morning. with mist so thick that it poured into the grave and the coffin was lowered into a cloud
."
Men at Arms.
 
"Nobody move or the nigger gets it," Blazing Saddles.
The satirical indignation of that statement as every bigot in town just accepted it as wrote that killing him for his skin color is normal still resonates today with each police involved shooting.
 
Dr. Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.

Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!

Mayor: Is this true?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true...This man has no dick.

Ghostbusters, 1984
 
Dr. Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.

Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!

Mayor: Is this true?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true...This man has no dick.

Ghostbusters, 1984

Classic
 
The Simpsons

Groundskeeper Willie - "Bonjour you Cheese eating Surrender Monkeys."
 

Almost as good: the scene where Peck tries to have them arrested. "These men are in criminal violation of the Environmental Protection Act! And this explosion is a direct result of it!" And we get to hear Egon respond: "Your mother!" :D
 
Back
Top