Writing Goal for the Day?

You know, my mother should put you on a retainer. Every single time I see you on this thread, I think, "shit, I have to send out Christmas cards this year."

:rolleyes:

I printed 23 cards last night (after cutting the paper--rice paper--for them the night before). Saturday will be a painting marathon day, and then I'll be half finished for the year.

Speaking of that gallery... Word hates me! I was working on the story, put it away for lunch, then opened it up while chatting with my editor on IM. Word will only open it in "Read-Only" format! I've also been getting nasty messages saying that it can't find certain files, which I know are there, so I've backed everything up and will run lots of virus checks soon.

I feel your pain. My computer has been infected by an evil mouse demon. For the past few days, if I so much as brush my trackpad, the mouse flies halfway across the page and I start typing in a new place, or worse, the mouse highlights an entire paragraph and I write over it. Sometimes I don't think I even hit the pad; the trackpad acts on its own. Between hitting the undo button and moving back to the correct place, it's taking me a ridiculously long time to write a single sentence.

I've cleaned the damn thing multiple times, changed where I write, changed all the trackpad options... nothing. Sigh.

I printed 23 cards last night (after cutting the paper--rice paper--for them the night before). Saturday will be a painting marathon day, and then I'll be half finished for the year.

I haven't sent out a card since I was ten or so, and those were sent under duress. Now that there's a kid, I think I might have to grow up and send some this year. Yuck.

9pm ... want to write... should make work files first...

I hate doing Christmas cards. Well, I don't hate it. I hang the ones we get up on the door. Just seems like it always goes late. So this year I should change that, I know.

well, I was able to write 1,600 plus words on Holly - even got to the point of referencing annanova's character! and did some work on the serious Summer Lovin' story. So I got about 2,000 words for the day.

now to watch some TV and read with slave_.

Good luck to everyone and see you all tomorrow!

Wrote about 6k today. Should have spent more time on work. Will have to make up for it this weekend. But still worth celebrating. :)

I wrote a good bit, and now have a bunch of scenes that need to be pulled together. Tomorrow, I think, as housework beckons tonight.

This little tortoise isn't worthy. But yay for you.

:(

Nothing yet. Just ends up being too late by the time I have some quiet and then I'm all not focused... sigh... still time though...

3,000 words and counting. I'm also hopped up on medication for a sinus infection and have just caught that second wind that I will regret when the alarm goes off at five, but what the hell who needs to focus in work?

Well a little bit got done... not much but a little, which is better than nothing. Maybe thsi weekend...

Okay it's Friday. Let's see, the little one and I will got to the library, then home for lunch, then... we'll see. And if I had any sense, I'd get something out to thaw for dinner now...

Okay it's Friday. Let's see, the little one and I will got to the library, then home for lunch, then... we'll see. And if I had any sense, I'd get something out to thaw for dinner now...

Happy Friday all. PL-the library will be a secret haven, have fun!

Its a Steely Dan kind of night. Going to an outdoor concert tonight in CHI, where I plan on camping it out on the grass with a notepad and getting my butt in gear. Writing was an absolute thought in the wind this week, apart from my two goals but I am scrapping two of those pages. Oye vey, rambling is such a pain ; )

Friday. Geez. I'd hoped to have more done this week, but oh well. Progress is all I ask for today.

At least my husband comes home on Sunday. Not that I'm bitter or anything about him spending his day sightseeing and hiking while I spent the morning keeping the kid away from a newly discovered giant box of raisins, otherwise known as the rabbits' litterbox, which she can apparently now get to. :eek: Nope, not bitter at all. :rolleyes:

Best of luck finding some time, PL, have fun at the concert, IL, and I hope everyone else has a lovely day.

Good luck Tatyana and PL. I am so glad my kids are older now. Have fun monamour!

Today, my top priority is to write my syllabus and schedule for my class - while it is writing, but not the fun kind of writing.

Then I hope to keep working on Holly and the book.

Definitely a slow week for writing for me.

Am going to attempt to get another mainstream anthology story edited and cleanup of a habu novel edit completed . . . but the Redskins' preseason opener is this evening, so who knows?

Today, my top priority is to write my syllabus and schedule for my class - while it is writing, but not the fun kind of writing.

Sooooo jealous.

This is the second year in a row that I'm not teaching, and I'm pretty bummed about it (cost of childcare > grad school stipend). I love making syllabi: oodles of new books and journal articles to read, combing newspapers to find real-life examples, front loading the worst readings to get the so-so students to drop, deciding how evil to be to the remaining students . . . . It got to the point where I had to make two syllabi: one I handed out that contained only the required readings, and one I posted online that added optional readings, since the latter would stretch for something like thirty pages. :eek:

I'm guest lecturing in a few classes this fall, each with different topics. I'm having a spectacular time developing the reading lists. :)

Am going to attempt to get another mainstream anthology story edited and cleanup of a habu novel edit completed . . . but the Redskins' preseason opener is this evening, so who knows?

Have they gotten a real QB yet? ;)

3,000 words and counting. I'm also hopped up on medication for a sinus infection and have just caught that second wind that I will regret when the alarm goes off at five, but what the hell who needs to focus in work?
Ooh, care to share any of those sinus meds, lovecraft? My two-hour nap has helped some, but I woke up with a Sinus Headache from Hell. I don't anticipate much work getting done today.

Tatyana, I think I have that same mouse bug, too. Sometimes it doesn't matter what we do, the tech doesn't want to cooperate. Your man is coming home soon? Have fun. ;) Mine is probably staying home next week after all, so I probably won't get much done then either. Grrr.

litfan, you're back to work on Holly? Yay! The Montreal story takes place in May, if that helps. ;) I can't wait to read it, especially since you mention Anna.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to do the multi-quote thing....

Steely Dan sounds fun, ILmonamour. I heard quite a bit of them while on vacation, and their music reminds me of a Lit friend who has sadly disappeared from my inbox. Enjoy the show.

Okay, if I get nothing done on Ex3, I will at least start my letters to RL publishers for my little books.

Sooooo jealous.

This is the second year in a row that I'm not teaching, and I'm pretty bummed about it (cost of childcare > grad school stipend). I love making syllabi: oodles of new books and journal articles to read, combing newspapers to find real-life examples, front loading the worst readings to get the so-so students to drop, deciding how evil to be to the remaining students . . . . It got to the point where I had to make two syllabi: one I handed out that contained only the required readings, and one I posted online that added optional readings, since the latter would stretch for something like thirty pages. :eek:

I'm guest lecturing in a few classes this fall, each with different topics. I'm having a spectacular time developing the reading lists. :)

So sorry to hear you are not teaching; it is very addictive and fun.

Unfortunately, I'm not having fun writing this particular syllabus even though I'm looking forward to the class as I'm moving back to remedial writing as we have more students in remedial writing than ever before so we need less freshman comp instructors. It is just so depressing making up a syllabus that represents material and skills the students really should have been taught and mastered before they got to the college level.

Surprisingly, my Seahawks won last night! I don't remember who they were supposed to be playing, and it's pre-season, but I can almost hear the cheers from downtown Seattle from here. :)

One of these days, I'll figure out how to do the multi-quote thing....

Since it took me months to figure it out... it's the middle button under a post, the one that looks like stacked pages. Click it under all the posts you want to quote (it should be highlighted after you click it), and when you have finished selecting your posts, hit the "post reply" button that's at the end of all the posts.

Make sense?

litfan, you're back to work on Holly? Yay! The Montreal story takes place in May, if that helps. ;) I can't wait to read it, especially since you mention Anna.

Thanks! I missed dear Holly. Amanda Grant from the first story saw your exhibit in Montreal and was suggesting it to Holly for the Forbes Gallery while Holly was hiring her new staff.

by the way, after a year and I still don't have the multiple-quote concept down either :eek:.

Since it took me months to figure it out... it's the middle button under a post, the one that looks like stacked pages. Click it under all the posts you want to quote (it should be highlighted after you click it), and when you have finished selecting your posts, hit the "post reply" button that's at the end of all the posts.

Make sense?

Cool!!!! Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not having fun writing this particular syllabus even though I'm looking forward to the class as I'm moving back to remedial writing as we have more students in remedial writing than ever before so we need less freshman comp instructors. It is just so depressing making up a syllabus that represents material and skills the students really should have been taught and mastered before they got to the college level.

I can see why that would be depressing. But, from both a societal and personal perspective, thanks for teaching those classes. I appreciate it.

ETA: Consider the multiquote instructions my thank-you gift. :D

I can see why that would be depressing. But, from both a societal and personal perspective, thanks for teaching those classes. I appreciate it.

ETA: Consider the multiquote instructions my thank-you gift. :D

Merci beaucoup!

I do love to teach writing as I like something that can have such a concrete effect on the students and their success. It is very rewarding.

Goals for the next three days? Two posts to my tax blog, edit another chapter of DG Hear's proposed entry in Summer Lovin', and get at least three more pages of my fetish story written. Without a TE/A on Ch 4 of A New Birth of Freedom, I'm stymied; I suppose I could make the whole assault thing up, and hope nobody with technical knowledge blows it up, but that's cheating.

Back