Where do you get your ideas from?

From my Muse. Sometimes I can tell where my Muse got them but not always.
 
My stories arise in several ways. Sometimes I conceive of characters who are rarely based on real people in my life, and I build a story around them. Sometimes I conceive of a story and then create characters to tell the story. Most often, the story and the characters develop together.

Once I have a story and characters then sex happens or doesn't happen, depending on the needs of characters and the story.
 
Let's get to it. Where do you think your ideas for your stories come from?

Subscription to Plotify. The service streams random plots with occasional ads. Add a location, character(s), sex scene(s), then auto-upload directly to Literotica...with occasional ads.

rj
 
I get most of my story ideas from other stories. Other stories inspire me to think of an angle on the story idea that is unexplored, or to consider ways of treating the subject matter in a different manner. From there, the ideas take off and head in unexpected directions.
 
My id, of course. At least on this site.

I get an awful lot of real story ideas from current events, actually.
 
Usually some small observational thing, either seen recently or remembered from my past - a small moment in time that then expands into a story.

Now that I've conjured up a bit of a world with a few different story arcs going on, more recently I'll develop a side character from one story and give them a story of their own - there are little threads of connectivity all through my story file. Real life relationships, both cyber and flesh, increasingly make their way into my story universe too, and somehow I manage to join them all up.

My male characters are all variants of me - a younger me and me now, so they're easy. What fascinates me is where in my subconscious all my women come from. I didn't realise it was so crowded in there!
 
Most of my stories start out as masturbatory fantasies. Literally things I fantasize about while masturbating. If something really works for me, I expand it on it the next time. If it keeps working for me, and I think it might be worth sharing, I write it down, develop the characters and their backstories and motivations to figure out why and how this particular fantasy came to be.

So I start with an erotic sex act and work backwards to see how the people involved got there. It's not a particularly artistic or lofty process, but I would never claim to be an artist.
 
Many years ago, I had an editor who used to say: Start with something real, and then see how unreal you can make it - without losing the reader. That accounts for some of my stories. :)
 
They come from everywhere.

Some come from decades old forum posts I read and recall being particular fun, which I then use as the basis for a story.

Some just come from a “wouldn’t it be cool if...” imagination.

One came to me on a long, hungover flight after three days of drinking in Berlin...
 
They come from my head. Sometimes they are based on events in my own life, sometimes they are pure imagination and sometime somewhere in between.
 
Most often, they spring from things I hear, or see on TV, that roll in, tumble around in my head and come out the other side as a different concept.
 
Life, songs, movies, TV shows, observation of people, sometimes out of thin air.
 
I've gotten some of my best ideas on the Story Ideas Forum here at Literotica. Usually posted by others, but sometimes posted by me thinking I'd never write it, then it ends up I do!

I've also gotten a lot of ideas from porn. Of course you can't transcribe directly, as visual and written storytelling are very different, but often the germ of the idea can come from there.

More rarely, it will come from real life. With lots of embellishment.
 
They come from my muses, all nine of them. Terpsichore doesn't have many helpful ones.

I have too many ideas. I can have a couple of dozen a day without effort. If I consciously think of plot lines I can produce too many. Whether they are any good? That is the question.

From time to time I write 50-word stories. I submit them to Literotica in sets of 15 (15 x 50-words = 750 words, Lit's minimum). That uses 15 plot ideas in one submission.

But the muses keep producing more, and more...
 
Life. Music. Movies. Lines in books. News. People I see. Things that have happened. Things that might have happened. Fantasies. Daydreams. Spontaneous combustion. Everything and anything around me. All the time. I have far more ideas than I can possibly ever write stories for.
 
Them there plot bunnies are everywhere I tell ya. Only pay attention to the ones that hump your leg. They are the best of the lot. ;)
 
I'm so lucky. I have a turkey. Turkeys help with story ideas, not just the weather forcasts. One must spin the turkey three times clockwise and twice anticlockwise. Then one lays the turkey on its back and examines very closely. The turkey will reveal the gobble and I simply add the de gook.
 
Some of the things I write I do so because of a lack of similar story themes on Literotica.

For example, while albinos do appear in stories in the supernatural, erotic horror and science fiction sections, I could not find one single real world story with an albino character. Not to say there aren't any, but I couldn't find one. So in my Jehovah's Witness Romance story I made one of the girls Holly an albino, emphasizing her albinism in my descriptions of the character such as having pinkish purple eyes, white skin and white hair both on her head and in more private areas. I described the problems albino people have with very poor eyesight and trouble with exposure to direct sunlight. Albino girls may not be everybody's idea of erotic, but it is unusual and I didn't get any complaints.

Overall, one of the reasons I began writing for Literotica was because of a lack of stories set in the past. All but one of my stories are set in the past, hence my username RetroFan. I also write quite a few stories set in Australia, because there aren't that many Australian stories on the site.
 
Speaking of putting something like the Jehovah's Witnesses in a story, I put a young honeymooning Amish couple in a story set on a cruise boat. A comment zinged back that the Amish don't go on cruises. Except . . . except . . . I got the idea for the story because I saw a young Amish couple on an ocean cruise boat. (And they changed into bare nothing during the cruise.)
 
Speaking of putting something like the Jehovah's Witnesses in a story, I put a young honeymooning Amish couple in a story set on a cruise boat. A comment zinged back that the Amish don't go on cruises. Except . . . except . . . I got the idea for the story because I saw a young Amish couple on an ocean cruise boat. (And they changed into bare nothing during the cruise.)

The Jehovah's Witness theme was actually another thing I wrote about because of a lack of stories about Jehovah's Witnesses on the site. There are stories that feature religion prominently - such as your own about the Amish couple (which sounds very interesting) and I found one where two Mormon missionaries are seduced by a Jewish cougar, but I could not find a single JW story until I wrote mine. Possibly there were some that weren't tagged properly, but if they did exist I couldn't find them.

The JW story was fun to write, especially when they go witnessing and meet some very interesting householders, such as a grumpy fat guy, a cantankerous old lady, a stressed out mother with six kids, idiot teenagers, some drunk and stoned young men and a bad tempered Italian American man with a vicious dog.
 
Back
Top