Coding for bolds, italics and foreign languages?

Keirarose

Virgin
So I know you have to code for italics and bolded words. How?

Also, one of my characters is Russian and occasionally using his native language. Many of the characters (as in letters, not people) are obviously different... Do I have to code then somehow in my submission? Or will it just be automatically accepted? I want it to be obvious that he's speaking another language, so I'd like to keep the different symbols.

For example: if you wanted to use like Chinese symbols, how would you do that?? THANKS! :)

So I know you have to code for italics and bolded words. How?

Also, one of my characters is Russian and occasionally using his native language. Many of the characters (as in letters, not people) are obviously different... Do I have to code then somehow in my submission? Or will it just be automatically accepted? I want it to be obvious that he's speaking another language, so I'd like to keep the different symbols.

For example: if you wanted to use like Chinese symbols, how would you do that?? THANKS! :)

For bolds you enclose your text in <b>The text I want bold</b>

For italics you enclose the text in <i>The text I want emphasized</i>

The character set you use varies with character encoding, for which there are several systems. I use UTF-8 (unicode) and that seems to be auto-detected by the site and it lets me use any western European symbols. I embed Spanish words in my stories pretty often. I haven't tried using Cyrillic (Greek, Russian, etc), but that's also in UTF-8 and it should work.

Encoding of Chinese and Kanji (for instance) might not be available in UTF-8. While the sight does support UTF-8 I don't know if it supports other UTF systems. That might be a question for Manu.

I use ASCII codes for accents in French and Spanish e.g. Alt 130 = é. (Hold down ALT key and use numerals from the number pad NOT at the top of the keyboard.) They work on Literotica but I have been told they don't always work on some mobile devices.

At lit there isn't a way to change the character set or fonts and such.

The only way I can think of to get Chinese characters into your story would be to create a picture .jpg and insert it in your document. You of course would have to use Word or OpenOffice and then submit a .doc file in the submission form.

At lit there isn't a way to change the character set or fonts and such.

The only way I can think of to get Chinese characters into your story would be to create a picture .jpg and insert it in your document. You of course would have to use Word or OpenOffice and then submit a .doc file in the submission form.

With the old user interface it was possible to specify the character encoding. The character encoding seems to be autodetected in the new user interface. Unicode contains codes for Cyrillic and Chinese characters, so it looks to me like choosing a character set wouldn't be a problem. The font is the problem. The range of fonts available at Lit doesn't include fonts for Cyrillic or Chinese.

For what it's worth, I use LibreOffice on Ubuntu and can produce text in a vast range of languages. I can even save to a text file and the system will still render it correctly. That ability would be useful for producing the image file, but that's about it.

I haven't tried in Lit, but generally holding the alt-gr key (the one on the right of the space-bar that no-one ever uses) and pressing a vowel creates an accent (áéíóú).

Alt-gr + 4 inserts a Euro € symbol as well.

I haven't tried in Lit, but generally holding the alt-gr key (the one on the right of the space-bar that no-one ever uses) and pressing a vowel creates an accent (áéíóú).

Alt-gr + 4 inserts a Euro € symbol as well.

Here is a partial list of Alt + numeral keys. Use the number pad on the right, NOT the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

Alt Keys

Alt 037 = %
Alt 038 = &
Alt 039 = ‘

Alt 041 = )

Alt 100 = d Alt 110 = n Alt 120 = x
Alt 121 = y
Alt 122 = z
Alt 123 = {
Alt 124 = |
Alt 125 = }
Alt 126 = ~
Alt 127 = ⌂
Alt 128 = Ç
Alt 129 = ü

Alt 130 = é Alt 140 = î Alt 150 = û
Alt 131 = â Alt 141 = ì Alt 151 = ù
Alt 132 = ä Alt 142 = Ä Alt 152 = ÿ
Alt 133 = à Alt 143 = Å Alt 153 = Ö
Alt 134 = å Alt 144 = É Alt 154 = Ü
Alt 135 = ç Alt 145 = æ Alt 155 = ø
Alt 136 = ê Alt 146 = Æ Alt 156 = £
Alt 137 = ë Alt 147 = ô Alt 157 = Ø
Alt 138 = è Alt 148 = ö Alt 158 = ×
Alt 139 = ï Alt 149 = ò Alt 159 = ƒ

AM I understanding it correctly that the standard post coding for italics will work in a story submission?

Almost, but not quite.

The coding used in a forum post would be BBCode "something."

The coding for the story would be html "<i>something.</i>"

AFAIK many many readers access LIT only via the Android app which still strips-out all HTML tags. Bye-bye bolds, italics, etc. UTF-8 characters should be available. But Homer, Sappho, Luther, Melville et al managed to communicate without fancy font effects. You can too.

On that note, testing some unicode symbols, I'm trying to establish which will stay in stylish monochrome, and which will be converted into garish emoji. A number of them render fine in Chrome in the Lit preview, but when they hit another device or OS or browser, you can't force them to retain their properties, even appending with: ;&#xFE0E or \uFE0E (HTML hex / JS)

This one seems to work... please let me know if this appears as anything other than monochrome on your device of choice.

❧ ❧ ❧

Bet they would'a if they could'a.

And at least one of them did'a.

https://www.abaa.org/blog/post/moby-dick-whale-of-a-book

"Richard Bentley printed 500 copies of [Melville's "Moby Dick"] in October, 1851 as a three volume set (a triple-decker). John Carter, in More Binding Variants (London, 1938), called it "the most stunning and successful piece of bravura treatment on any mid-century three-decker of my experience.” Around 200 were bound in sea-green cloth boards and cream-cloth spines showing whales rendered in gilt (right whales as opposed to sperm whales), their flukes up and heads down; the rest were eventually bound up in “remainder bindings” – usually plain dark purple cloth with gilt titles on the spines. "

HTML tagging seems modest compared to printing parts of your book in actual gold leaf.

(whoops, missed the post date. Oh well.)

Last edited:
Back