You know you've written something good when...

ElectricBlue

Connoisseur
Joined
May 10, 2014
Posts
15,151
Your Beta readers START WRITING COMMENTS IN CAPITALS OMG DON'T CHANGE A THING

about different sections of the same story.

And break their sworn vow never to use multiple exclamation marks!!!
 
Or when people refer to your story a decade after you posted it.
 
Denny

You know you've written something good when...

I dunno, I've never written anything good.:eek:
 
I know I've written a lot of crap as well as a few better stories... :eek:
 
When you go back to read it much later and you still think it’s good.
 
For me its when others steal my material or quote me.

I aim for the truth, and truth is powerful.
 
For me its when others steal my material or quote me.

I aim for the truth, and truth is powerful.

You're going to be flattered then. I used Cole as the model for "Grandpops" in Lovecraft and my Grandpops", my Noir work-in-progress. Lol I love Cole.
 
When the poignant parts make me tear up, reading it a month later.

Oh god, yes. That's so true.

I cry every time I read "September Blue" and I wrote that last year. Sniffles at memory. It was so sad, I wrote that through a film of tears and just thinking about it makes me tear up.
 
When I realize I haven't had a "you made my panties so wet" or a "you made me cum three times in three pages" comments. Now we're into literature. :D
 
I suggested a girl read my first story I wrote 10 years ago. It turned her on so much she called me and invited me over and became a regular friend with benefits. She love tease and orgasm denial and well, we had fun.
So, it is good to write a story.
:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:
 
I forgot about Cole.

No, let that personal stuff go Noir. You can always have fun giving me a hard time, you know I don't mind:D

I like Hate Crimes Inc so for my draft Noir work, I used Cole as a model. Cop who lives down back end of a trailer park, his Chinese daughter in law works as a stripper and his granddaughter is a hot high school student who starts dealing meth to save money for college .....

It was one of your digs that gave me the title. "Lovecraft and my Grandpops." The whole thing starts out with my heroine looking up H P Lovecraft online for an assignment and instead she finds Lovecraft on Literotica and starts reading..... lol I leave the rest to your imagination for now....but between my heroine and her grandpops it's mayhem, death, destruction, larceny and lots of hard sex. And fast cars.....
 
Last edited:
Or when people refer to your story a decade after you posted it.

This, definitely. Hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't favorite some decade-old story of mine on Lit.. Often it's one I think was forgettable. I think, someone somehow dug that out and liked it well enough to hit the "favorite" button? Strange and terrific rolled into one.

Today it was "Labyrinth" from 2011.
 
I started 'work' this morning by reading a story that I wrote two or three years ago. It brought (a good) tear to my eye. I'm happy to claim that story as one of mine.
 
The highest praise I ever got was for a gay story. It was very close to, "I've never had sex with another man, but after reading this, I want to try it!" This is extra special since the entirety of my (real, in-person) sexual experience has been heterosexual.
 
I don’t know that I’ve ever written anything good. I primarily write for myself and I’m very aware that many may not be interested in the same things I am.

That said I have been encouraged, as a male writer, by receiving feedback from female readers who found one or two of my female characters well-crafted and even relatable. That to me shows that despite the fact that I write stories that do unarguably objectify women (I write mostly in the Exhibitionist/Viyeur genre so that’s sort of unavoidable) I’ve managed to do a good job with my meagre skills.

I also like it when people message me out of the blue asking for sequels to something I wrote quite a while ago. I mean no, I’m not doing one, but it’s nice you asked!
 
'Good' is a matter of opinion. Some people think things like Beowulf and Jabberwocky are 'good'. I think they're incomprehensible drivel.

If a story here goes past about three pages, I'm out.
 
When I get an angry comment on the actions of the characters, the plot or the characters themselves - because the person making the comment believes in the story enough to hate it.
 
When people take time to leave comments and especially when the first three comments on the latest chapter are:

"Definitely looking forward to to the next chapter"

"Exceptionally absorbing characters in a story weaved by a very talented author. More please."

"Ah man, you know this stuff - what could ever be better than DP with two boys kissing each other over your shoulder, especially if they just happen to be BROTHERS! Yep. You know this. Thanx stax for that moment. Hopefully I won't be waking up soon, because some seriously expensive drugs will be needed to cope with "But his dick will touch mine" and "I don't like sharing"; (sigh) enter: the real world. That was real nice of you. Now, kill that bitch!

Thanks for a superb story so far.''

People taking the time means a lot.
 
Back
Top