Audible book recommendations, please.

glynndah

good little witch.
I have a bunch of audible credits I need to use. Apparently I signed up for a free trial and forgot to cancel it. I can always use something to listen to so that's not a big deal.

Any suggestions?

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

I have a bunch of audible credits I need to use. Apparently I signed up for a free trial and forgot to cancel it. I can always use something to listen to so that's not a big deal.

Any suggestions?

Selena Kitt posted some great audio stories before she went off to make her zillions.

If you're talking about regular books on tape you can try any Stephen King esp the short story anthologies. Vastly entertaining. Harry Potter is excellent on audio.

If you like true crime, I just listened to In Cold Blood and it was incredible! Utterly riveting. I'd never read it and it was completely fascinating.

If you're talking about erotic audio, one word: Mirage

If you're talking about regular books on tape you can try any Stephen King esp the short story anthologies. Vastly entertaining. Harry Potter is excellent on audio.

If you like true crime, I just listened to In Cold Blood and it was incredible! Utterly riveting. I'd never read it and it was completely fascinating.

If you're talking about erotic audio, one word: Mirage
Stephen King would be a good choice. It's been a while since I've read his longer works.

I'm thinking of beginning "Game of Thrones". Thirty-three hours of listening for one credit.

Since I'm kinda cheap, I'm leaning towards epics. More book bangs for the bucks.

I tried Game of Thrones! Yes, very hefty.

I had a big problem with that because the narrator has got to be in his late 80s. It was a real strain. I really think they needed a more . . . vigorous voice for such a giant saga. But nevertheless the story was good.

Tons of Stephen King on audio. It? The Stand? Insomnia? The Shining? All good.

Stephen King would be a good choice. It's been a while since I've read his longer works.

I'm thinking of beginning "Game of Thrones". Thirty-three hours of listening for one credit.

Since I'm kinda cheap, I'm leaning towards epics. More book bangs for the bucks.

I tried Game of Thrones! Yes, very hefty.

I had a big problem with that because the narrator has got to be in his late 80s. It was a real strain. I really think they needed a more . . . vigorous voice for such a giant saga. But nevertheless the story was good.

Tons of Stephen King on audio. It? The Stand? Insomnia? The Shining? All good.

That's why I am hesitating on Game of Thrones. Lots of people complaining about the narrator. However, since most of the time I'll be listening whilst doing other things, perhaps it won't bother me too much.

If you're into fantasy, you might try Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. It's pretty lengthy and gets a little bogged down at times, but I like it. It has a sort of J.R.R. Tolkein/David Eddings/Dennis McTiernan vibe.

If you're into fantasy, you might try Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. It's pretty lengthy and gets a little bogged down at times, but I like it. It has a sort of J.R.R. Tolkein/David Eddings/Dennis McTiernan vibe.

Thank you. I'll look for that one, too.

Really? I actually liked the narrator for the Game of Thrones. He does voices well, his pace is consistent, and he's nice to listen too. Victarion's voice could have been stronger, but that's my only complaint.

I haven't read, but I did download, the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian and the narrator for that was older, you could tell, then about 10 books in they switched to a younger voice and I couldn't stand it. They switched back, thankfully or maybe I downloaded the wrong copy.

I feel like I'm being un-PC saying it, but I could practically feel the spittle from his false teeth! The voice was thin and shaky to me. But a good actor, too.

Really? I actually liked the narrator for the Game of Thrones. He does voices well, his pace is consistent, and he's nice to listen too. Victarion's voice could have been stronger, but that's my only complaint.

I haven't read, but I did download, the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian and the narrator for that was older, you could tell, then about 10 books in they switched to a younger voice and I couldn't stand it. They switched back, thankfully or maybe I downloaded the wrong copy.

I feel like I'm being un-PC saying it, but I could practically feel the spittle from his false teeth! The voice was thin and shaky to me. But a good actor, too.

One thing good about audible is they let you sample the book. A couple of minutes of listening could help me decide. Of course, one can abide just about anything for three minutes. Thirty-three hours could be a whole different story. Pun intended.

Any suggestions?

I recently listened to a Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel, I wanted to know more about the french revolution, it did the job and she is a truly incredible writer.

Currently I'm revisiting His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman reads it himself I think and its dramatised with a full cast. ~Its also great.

But yeah, Game of Thrones, brilliant too. Although I was bereft when the books ran out and he still hasn't published the next one *sigh*

I recently listened to a Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel, I wanted to know more about the french revolution, it did the job and she is a truly incredible writer.

Currently I'm revisiting His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman reads it himself I think and its dramatised with a full cast. ~Its also great.

But yeah, Game of Thrones, brilliant too. Although I was bereft when the books ran out and he still hasn't published the next one *sigh*

Fantasy really isn't my genre, but I love hearing just about anyone tell me a story. I once listened to a epic novel about the history of porcelain.

Who cares about PC ... but, I can see your point. I think the old voice lent to the feel of middle-age setting for me.

Fantasy really isn't my genre, but I love hearing just about anyone tell me a story. I once listened to a epic novel about the history of porcelain.

Fantasy isn't your genre, Glynndah ... that suppose to be ironic? .... you could download Feynman, or Greene, Bryson, lot of audio by these guys.

What is your preference (other than porcelain?)

bit of a tangent but bbc radio 4 have a new 6 part dramatisation of The Wizard of Earthsea its only up for another 10 days so get there quick if interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pktvt

Audio drama? ... I downloaded the bbc moby dick, which is much different from the book and it turns out, I didn't even read the right book (I was 12, it had pictures) the real book is about 800 pages long or more? ... So many things to read, so little time.

bit of a tangent but bbc radio 4 have a new 6 part dramatisation of The Wizard of Earthsea its only up for another 10 days so get there quick if interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pktvt
Oh, that looks interesting. Not exactly what I asked for, but I'll give it a listen. I've read quite a few of her books.

Fantasy isn't your genre, Glynndah ... that suppose to be ironic? .... you could download Feynman, or Greene, Bryson, lot of audio by these guys.

What is your preference (other than porcelain?)
Ah, do not be fooled by my online avatar and persona. I do occasionally read fantasy, but it's not my favourite. I'll probably be thoroughly chastised for this, but I must confess I just could not get into Tolkein at all.

I can thoroughly recommend the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett.
Another series I had a tough time getting into but listening is much different that actually reading. I'll check it out.

Well, if you really want to get into introspective fiction/non-fiction, you can check out Maya Angelou's works. That should keep you busy for a while. ;)

City on Fire is 38 hours of absolutely nothing if that's what you're into. Apparently you can send books? The doctor says it's cleared up now.

Any suggestions?

I have downloaded some great books on Tantric Massage and Tantric sex which I listen to while I am driving.

Then get to put the theory in to practice when I get home.

Most of the Stephen King books are very well done, with excellent readers. And, as you say, the longer the book, the more value you get for your credit.

Back