San Francisco judge blocks WH administration on DACA

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Posts
25,720
President Donald Trump lashed out Wednesday at a federal judge who's temporarily blocked him from ending protections for nearly 800,000 young immigrants. The Senate's top Democrat said that despite the ruling, lawmakers and the White House must drive toward a bipartisan deal that would permanently shield them from deportation.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/article/Lawmakers-seek-deal-on-immigration-border-12486514.php


On Tuesday night, U.S. District Judge William Alsup in San Francisco temporarily blocked the Trump administration’s decision to phase out the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA, which has protected from deportation some 700,000 people who came to the country illegally as children.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/article/Lawmakers-seek-deal-on-immigration-border-12486514.php


Trump seemed to agree he would support a clean DACA bill — meaning a solution separate from the border wall he pledged to build on the campaign trail — only to backtrack when questioned, insisting that DACA and the border wall must be packaged together for security reasons, as Republicans have long demanded.


“What about a clean DACA bill now with a commitment to do comprehensive next?” the president was asked by California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein.


“I would agree to that,” Trump replied, riling up the Republicans in the room. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., jumped in to clarify that a DACA bill should include funding for more border security.

https://www.salon.com/2018/01/09/tr...n-daca-bill-that-republicans-will-never-pass/


gsgs comment- What is Tonald Drump (Drumpf) angriest about ? That Sen. Dianne Feinstein caught him with his brain not engaged,when he spoke at his grand photo-op.? Or, releasing the documents ?

/end gsgs comment


Sen. Dianne Feinstein released the transcript of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s closed-door August interview with an official from the political opposition research firm Fusion GPS, which commissioned the dossier.


She released the transcript of Glenn Simpson’s interview over the objections of the committee’s Republican chairman, Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley. She is the top Democrat on the panel.


Feinstein’s release was not illegal because the information wasn’t classified. And as the top Democrat on the committee, she didn’t need authorization from Grassley to release it. Her staff helped conduct the interview with Simpson.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...50bc3300042_story.html?utm_term=.61d87e6b3417
 
Trump should consider himself lucky that they gave him a seat at the table.
 
Gups own the gov't. Gups can pass whatever laws they want. Walls, deportations, mass imprisonment, whatever, all with zero votes from Dums. Tromp and the Gups have no need of bipartisanship. They just can't get their shit together. Sad.
 
I'm puzzled about this. I understand DACA was not passed by Congress and was an executive order by Obama. If this is the case, why can the current POTUS not rescind it? In fact, how can it have any status at all?

I will say it's quite likely those who benefitted from DACA are actually assets for the US, more so than many of their native-born contemporaries. The first group has had to keep their noses clean, while the second group has had fewer constraints.
 
I'm puzzled about this. I understand DACA was not passed by Congress and was an executive order by Obama. If this is the case, why can the current POTUS not rescind it? In fact, how can it have any status at all?

Yeah. It was an Executive Order, to avoid Congressional input. In fact, Obama was scared shitless to issue it at first, harkening back to the Dems' filibuster-proof 'super-majority' when they did absolutely nothing on immigration-reform.

Sad really. Yeah, Teddy died partway into it, but that doesn't let them off the hook. The Filibuster-Proof Majority To Nowhere.
 
Back
Top