What are you reading this week?

Uncle Remus? That Joel Chandler Harris? Interesting article on Uncle Remus and on why everything you’ve heard about Uncle Remus is wrong,

We has an Uncle Remus is my town. In those days we called older black men "Uncle."

Chandler claomed Remus was a local character who visited the newspaper office a lot.

Another good source for early Georgia society was GEORGIA SCENES by A.B. Longstreet.
 
Seanan McGuire, "Indexing". Cute story about a government agency that tries to stop fairytales from coming true. The team leader is a Snow White trying to avoid a future of poisoned apples and glass coffins, and one of her sidekicks is a Wicked Stepsister...
 
Happily reading the "Gotrek and Felix" series. I've been writing a Swords and Sorcery and Sex story, and Gotrek and Felix, along with Robert E Howard and Fritz Leiber's Swords and ... series are just perfect research material. Love these stories, they're just so good. A totally light and trite relaxing read.

5106ZN%2BVOkL.jpg
51crnrN0MqL.jpg
 
Louise Penny, How the Light Gets In

P.D. James, The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories
 
I finished HAUNTED by James Patterson and started GONE FOR GOOD by Harlan Coben tonight
 
I've started The Next Always by Nora Roberts. I don't read a lot of Nora Roberts, but this one is the first of trilogy set in the Boonsboro (Maryland) Inn, with the book beginning with the renovation of the inn. Boonsboro is one of the towns settled by the Daniel Boone family as it worked its way West and the inn is an old stage coach stop. Roberts is from Boonsboro and owns the inn. I have reservations for a couple of nights there in the new year, so my wife and I thought it would be kicky to read the books that go with the inn.

I have a thing about staying places authors have stayed and written (or not, in Fitzgerald's case). My family had a dude ranch where Hemingway, Dashiell Hammett, Lillian Hellman, and Ann Morrow Lindbergh retreated to. James Michener wrote much of Centennial there. I have stayed in the room at the Cyprus Forest Park Inn, where Daphne du Marnier wrote part of Rebecca. and there was a plaque on my room door at The Strand Hotel, in Rangoon, Burma, that claimed George Orwell wrote his notes for Burmese Days there. I rented (for a year as a vacation house) the villa in Cyprus where Lawrence Durrell wrote much of the Alexandria Quartet (my landlady was Justine from his quartet) and have stayed in F. Scott Fitzgerald's rooms at the Grove Park Inn in Ashville, where he was on such a drunken binge, suffering from tuberculosis and having put Zelda in a sanitarium (where she burned herself to death) that he couldn't write anything but business letters and tried to commit suicide. ("Right there at that desk, Sir.")
 
Last edited:
Went back and started re-reading Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy after her death. These were among my favorite books when I was younger and reading them again, they're just as magical now. Love her writing.

0e147a05331f627b0a47116fbf3ec213--bedtime-reading-children-reading.jpg
 
Thinking about reading the MaddAddam trilogy again since they're making a mini series out of it.
And I still haven't read the last book yet anyway. It's been so long since I read the first I'll need to start over to refresh my memory.

Need to find more hours in the day. At the food pantry volunteering 6 days a week, making stuff for my etsy shop during 'free' time, writing in whatever's left. I need a few more hours in a day.
 
Background reading for "Fields of Gold" and for an SF novella I'll be writing starting ... :eek: ... now.

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education by Craig M. Mullaney - West Point grad, Rhodes scholar, Airborne Ranger, and U. S. Army Captain Craig Mullaney recounts his unparalleled education and the hard lessons that only war can teach. While stationed in Afghanistan, a deadly firefight with al-Qaeda leads to the loss of one of his soldiers. Years later, after that excruciating experience, he returns to the United States to teach future officers at the Naval Academy. Written with unflinching honesty, this is an unforgettable portrait of a young soldier grappling with the weight of war while coming to terms with what it means to be a man.

Time for the Stars by Robert Heinlein - One of Heinlein's classic children's SF novels.

Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden - fictional bio of Genghis Khan. Genetically, probably one of my ancestors :D - I like to think so, anyhow.

41uSjSEDiOL._AC_US218_.jpg
51h2tyLw9SL._AC_US218_.jpg
51yBCKc6n2L._AC_US218_.jpg
 
Robert Heinlein's "Time for the Stars": I bought a library sale copy when I was ten and I still have it. It's so old and beat up I can't even find a cover image to match my old old copy from 1963, predating me by a decade or three.

time_for_the_stars.jpg
 
This week I'm sticking to Literotica stories only. I purchased nearly a book a day on Amaze-on last week, so to save money I'm trying not to buy one for a week.

Of course I could get a library book, but the parking is terrible downtown. And the closest parking garage is almost 2 whole blocks away.

Why yes, I AM lazy, how could you tell?
 
A Place of Hiding by Elizabeth George, set in Guernsey.

I'm finding it hard to continue this one. It's taken six chapters to finally get all the main characters introduced, and just as many days to get through them. *big yawn*

I keep hoping something will change, but I know when the other book I ordered is ready at the library... this one is going back!
 
I'll have to note that; related to this is when Capt. Picard recounts a partial story of Gilgamesh in The Next Generation episode "Darmok (great ep by the way)."

Well, my favorite bit of the Epic of Gilgamesh is the very first plot point. Keep in mind this is the very first plot point in the earliest known story to ever be written down by human hands:

Super-sexy Shamhat the temple-harlot finds the wild-man Enkido and fucks his brains out, non-stop for a week, so severely that he forgets how to talk to animals.
 
Love Eric Nylund. He's written a few Halo novels which I don't enjoy that much but the Mortal Coil series are great if you like YA fantasy. Mortal Coils and All That Lives Must Die are books 1 and 2 in a proposed 5 book series. The publisher (Tor Books) has declined more books in the series. They have also denied Eric's requests to revert the publishing rights - seems like they had a disagreement on how and to whom these books should be marketed to. Oh well, the perils of traditional publishing for writer and reader....

Mortal Coils - by Eric Nylund

All That Live Must Die - by Eric Nylund

9780765357540-1.jpg
7137810.jpg
 
Last edited:
Rereading Bernard Fall's "Hell in a Very Small Place." I've read it several times; the man was a prophet in all his books, but this one? Knowing the outcome of the siege, you read about the French optimism and efforts and just shake your head in sorrow.

Saddest book I've ever read.
 
Rereading "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth. I've read it before, I think, but back when it was newly published in the seventies.
 
The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver before bed, and

Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain in the afternoon. Just_e and I are reading it together. :heart:
 
Back
Top